Hotel Chocolat Employee Reviews in Southampton

Featured review
Hotel Chocolat selected this as a representative review
Lovely place to work.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear13 June 2019
Management are great and very supportive. Lovely environment to work for with a great team atmosphere. Management are flexible with what I can work. I have also learnt a lot whilst working here so far.
Pros
Staff discount, good management
Lovely work place
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire18 August 2019
Love the company - they treat staff really well.
The job is easy, and you get to know the products very quickly. Team is the best, supportive.
The work/life balance is great - if you need to swap shifts or sort out something it's easy to do.
Training is good, mainly from store manager, which is good as they tend to know tons about the products and some online (mainly food handling etc).

Lots of benefits - great discount and free chocolate almost every shift (which can be a con but not sure who would think it is!!)
Pros
benefits, great company to work for, lots of overtime
Cons
sales advisors tend to only get part time hours but plenty of overtime
Fun work place and decent pay for a student
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire30 June 2018
As someone who worked part-time at Hotel Chocolat, it was a decent weekend job to have whilst I finished my degree. I learnt a lot about chocolate, and got free chocolate almost every shift, which was a nice perk.

Senior management has always been problematic but if you're a sales advisor and not working too much, it's relatively easy to ignore the bad organisation.

The customers in the store are generally easy to deal with and there aren't many issues. However, it was easy for thefts to occur because the store had no alarm system.

Christmas is the busiest and hardest time of the year, so it is tiring, especially on long shifts. However, the chocolate and general excitement people have about chocolate is an enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Some free chocolate, great 50% discount on all products, easy customers
Cons
Long hours during seasonal periods, bad organisation
My favourite job - productive and fun working environment
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southampton8 July 2016
This is arguably the most well run and productive organisation I have worked for. The management, in my experience, have always been helpful and friendly. The team that the manager assembled were diverse yet thoroughly united when it came to delivering good quality customer service.

The most enjoyable parts of the job were interacting with customers among a vast age and social range, and being part of a great staff team. The hardest is probably the quieter times of the year (january-february, summer) when it can get very quiet.
Pros
Unexpected financial bonuses, amazing management
Cons
Often boring when the shop is empty
A challenging positive workplace
Senior Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Southampton10 November 2014
A typical day includes cashing up or opening the shop, meaning counting large quantities of money and making sure everything is in check in time to open. Part of my job includes approaching people to offer them a sample of chocolate, and I've never struggled with this. I usually engage in various conversations that last until the transaction is complete. No two days are the same either, there are always different people wanting different things. It is important to know the products to help the guest make a perfect decision, and I regularly go out of my way to help.
The work environment is amazing. I am more than happy to talk with both management and my co-workers, but we all have a firm understanding on when we have some time chat and when things need to be done. We share out tasks evenly and fairly, and I've never had an issue with the way things are run.
The job cannot be done halfheartedly, you need to put your all into the work. It can be tiring at times, but it is rewarding seeing guests so happy just by providing excellent service. It is also heavy in knowledge, as each staff member is required to know a lot of information about cocoa and the process of making it into our chocolate. However this came easy to me, as I enjoy learning new information and sharing my knowledge.
It is highly rewarding communicating with so many different people, and I often engage in conversation about a wide range of topics. Guests have given me advice on various lifestyle tips, and one has even become a fan of my art work. I've had multiple guests compliment me on my service and enthusiasm,
  more... and it's lovely to know your making a small difference to their day.  less