Hotel Chocolat

Hotel Chocolat Employee Reviews

United Kingdom158 reviews
Featured review
Hotel Chocolat selected this as a representative review
A great place to work. They respect outside life and commitments, listen to needs or complaints. Nice employees and good staff discount. The customers are mostly nice as well, not as rude as other places.
Pros
good discount. flexible hours.
Cons
constantly stood up
Although there were strict targets that could be stressful, the overall work environment was very relaxed and friendly, whilst still maintaining a professional and sophisticated atmosphere. The management was very understanding of any stresses or issues staff experienced in and out of work, always willing to help.
Pros
discounted products and helpful management
Cons
hard targets
Reasonable salary, overtime available. Fast production lines.
Machinery should be updated for my opinion and the lines digitalised, link to a computers .
To start with I loved my job, not so much now.... no work life balance - shifts change at short notice either cancelled or extra shifts or different times ... only a 8hr contract so they have all the flexibility it’s frowned on only wanting to do contracted hours ... as not enough staff employed to only do contracted hours commitments outside work not taken into account management have their favourites don’t feel valued
Pros
Shift drink and discount on full price items
Cons
Poor pay for extra responsibility, no staff discount on sales products, expectations too high for minimum paid staff
hotel chocolat pay above NMW, workplace pension, cycle2work scheme, and a nice little "gift" every Xmas and Easter. Management are fab. Regional managers are engaged and regular feedback and appreciation from the CEO.
Pros
flexable hour's, above nmw, constant training and opportunity for progression
Cons
Holiday blackout over xmas and easter period (understandable)
At the store i worked at, the management where firm but fair. Everyone worked together to make everythingi run smoothly and efficiently. Loved every moment of it
Pros
Too many to mention
great work life balance.
job security

good work environment

pay is not so great

slow progression

a lot changes all the time

poor stock ordering system

takes two months to get paid for the first time
I was employed by a recruitment agency who worked within the hotel chocolat factory.
Mostly picking and packing work, packing was fast paced and you had to make sure you put all the sufficient labels and packing in the parcels. Packing could be hard work as you had to establish how to pack things correctly without them getting damaged.

The work ethic was good but the picking and packing staff were very clicky with one another.

I was put on the commercial picking and packing line, the supervisor would disappear for 3 hours for a ciggarette leaving me and another person to pick and pack everything, the supervisor would come back and stress about how we’d packed everything.

I also have to say there was a language barrier between me and the other person who was picking and packing and although we managed to hand signal to each other, it made the job that bit more difficult, however this is not down to management to train in the British language.

I would recommend as a stepping stone job to something better however the pay was enough to suffice.

Dealing with the supervisors for both The commercial line and the sales line was difficult at times, keeping your head down and getting on with the job at hand is something this place has taught me.

I felt at times staff were made to feel inadequate or guilty for doing something wrong or making a mistake. We were given a box of chocolates if we picked a certain amount of products in our shift, management seem to think this was fair game but it caused some commotion from the ladies in the packing area.
Pros
Pay, recruitment staff were pleasantly helpful
Cons
Clicky, stressful, unrewarding at times
Typical retail. The product is good, the idea is good it could be engaging if things were managed right. I had some very incompetent assistant managers, and surprisingly unprofessional area managers. Seriously unprofessional. There wasn't a day off (maybe a few) when I didn't receive a desperate call to go to work because they couldn't sort out cover. Merchandising was a joke. It might be better now, it's been a while..
The worst place I ever worked for the work you do there the money is terrible u get treated like dirt all the managers walk around eating chocolats out of the warehouse when it came to the rules of the coronavirus there was nothing put in place until 1 certain manager came back from being off sharon stockdale a1 real manager in that place who got stuff done so fairplay to her for that
Pros
Discount on really expensive chocolat
Cons
Really bad salary bad managers and dont respect there staff
Management were terrible, long hours for working in a shop, would do 4 ten hour shifts and then 1 6 hour shift despite there being plenty of team members. Expected to do much more than your job role requires.
Pros
Free chocolates
Cons
Everything else
Excelente a nivel de formación, muy mala gestión de RR HH
As a part time staff member I was always given too many responsibilities and was always given lots of overtime without being asked about what I wanted.
Hotel Chocolat is a fantastic company to work for. The staff have always been so welcoming and friendly. The company itself has very good values and ethics which make me proud to work here
Pros
Ethical, friendly, fast paced and support given if needed.
Cons
Long hours with minimum breaks
Hotel Chocolat is a good company to work for if you enjoy a fast paced work environment (over Easter, summer holiday and Christmas mostly).
They aim to give customers (guests) the very best service and so you have to deal with unhappy guests in the shop by presenting them with an alternative or a solution to their problem.

Every day is different and sometimes you get a quiet spell during which you can attend to cleaning and tidying the shop, ensuring products are in date and properly displayed and replenishment of the bays.

There's always something to do or something to read to add to your knowledge of the brand and products !
It was so nice to work with them! I spent there my first 3 months working in Scotland during Xmas.
We had such a busy time! Good team and salary! Thank you
It's a nice place to work at - the shops are beautiful and the products are obviously quality. BUT the amount of expectations and the amount of work you have to do is just not reflected in the pay. Pointless to be a supervisor - you only get the extra pay if you're the main key holder on shift, and if your store has many, it won't be fairly divided. So you end up with all these extra responsibilities that most of the time you're not even paid for. All management are very buddy - buddy so don't expect many of any problems you have to be solved because they're mostly just on the phone to each other rather than keeping an eye on the shop floor.
• uniform—white shirt, black buttons and Black trainers.• Can’t get your nails done• No large earrings only studs •Hair should be tied up • Always on your feet • no lifts • Always restocking in that store so you get used to going up and down the stairs so if you bad ankle probably not a good place to work
• Some of the managers where nice and patient when i was in training and so was the supervisor very helpful.

• Benefits include 50% on the the item they sell in store and free drinks and ice cream from the cafe. Expired/ returned and damage items
Worse experience or my career

One of my direct reports was insubordinate from day one and made my life a misery

This led to my probation being extended and then to my contract being terminated

Senior management are childish and the owners are morons

Overpriced pretentious products and they regularly flout food safety for commercial gain
Hotel Chocolat is a really nice company to work for especially if you get the chance to work in the Canterbury store. the manages and the supervises are very friendly and are great people to work for. i would deftly recommend working for the Canterbury store. the pay is really good and so are the hours if you want to work more they try and give you more hours a week.
The company care about the employees and try another and make it a fair work place with fair pay for retail, I would recommend the company tho individual managers can vary