Hotel Chocolat Employee Reviews

Featured review
Hotel Chocolat selected this as a representative review
Lovely place to work.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear13 June 2019
Management are great and very supportive. Lovely environment to work for with a great team atmosphere. Management are flexible with what I can work. I have also learnt a lot whilst working here so far.
Pros
Staff discount, good management
Cons
Poor management, and even poorer management of managers.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London10 November 2019
Important members of staff are constantly shuffled around for no reason leaving stores with no clear management and lacking in direction. Staff morale is down due to company not really caring how you're being treated by customers, and in fact they will do more to appease a customer in the wrong than to fight for an employee in the right. Shifts can be ridiculous with 4 hour contracts being offered, and these can sometimes barely give you enough money to get to work, as well as taking hours away from those on longer contracts such as 16, 20, and 30 hours. You can expect to be doing early shifts and plenty of lone trading if you're unfortunate enough to work in a station store. Long shifts can be 8 hours more, with only one half an hour break, and no real chance to sit down outside of this.
The pay is very good, £9-£11 for sales advisors and supervisors depending on which stores you work in, and you do get 50% off, plus £25 vouchers for Easter and Christmas, or vouchers for winning incentives for the store. But better as a short term or first job. Only people willing to make big sacrifices or who don't mind walked over move up in this company.
Productive and fun workplace
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  St. Neots18 October 2019
Quite Ok, not a bad place to work but there are better places. Gone down last couple of years, too much pressure on people. Company is growing from year to year but not enough equipment for that amount of work.
Sales assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Epsom10 October 2019
I loved working within a great team. The Management was excellent.
& the Chocolate is to die for. As I was a Student part-time was perfect for me. I worked most weekends and was given more hours around Christmas holidays.
Good Place to work
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Dartford, Kent25 September 2019
HC was a good place to work, as a student enrolled in school it was flexible and not too stressful. Typically any problems were mostly dealt with and management were helpful if they were needed to be.
Hotel Chocolat, more like Hotel Horrible Management 🤔
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow22 September 2019
There’s no time off from the job, with a facebook page constantly sending notifications from management, with the expectation to read and respond as soon as possible. Management have bullied many people out of the job, with little regard for mental health, managers will also chose their own personal friendships over the well being of their team. Staff are utterly expendable, with staff members who have worked for the company for many years being disregarded. Staff members are expected to pick up many of the managerial tasks, whilst not receiving extra pay, whilst managers receive promotions and pay rises. The job is incredibly fast paced and management never train up new starts, with the expectation of other staff members to train them, particularly on the cafe. If you’re wanting to apply as a christmas temp I would recommend against it, as the manager will constantly belittle you and talk behind your back that you don’t know how to do the job, despite them not training you up. Very little reward for what at sometimes can be a very stressful job. It’s a shame because the company it’s self is a good company to work for, fair pay, good discounts, good ethics, however this branch in particular has many issues, rooted in management.
Pros
free drinks, good discount
not a good company to work for
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bolton28 August 2019
not a good work life balance, very boring nothing to do each day mostly stood around in the shop. not a good company to work for at all.
wouldn't recommend at all.
Its just ok
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London27 August 2019
Definitely a place that let's you grow in the company. The only down fall is standing up for hours on your feet. Please give workers a chair..................
nice environment
Barista/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greater London27 August 2019
important experience to grow professionally and personally in a good, friendly and flexible environment
Lovely work place
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire18 August 2019
Love the company - they treat staff really well.
The job is easy, and you get to know the products very quickly. Team is the best, supportive.
The work/life balance is great - if you need to swap shifts or sort out something it's easy to do.
Training is good, mainly from store manager, which is good as they tend to know tons about the products and some online (mainly food handling etc).

Lots of benefits - great discount and free chocolate almost every shift (which can be a con but not sure who would think it is!!)
Pros
benefits, great company to work for, lots of overtime
Cons
sales advisors tend to only get part time hours but plenty of overtime
Productive and interesting
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  West Midlands7 August 2019
Interesting company with lots of ethics and great products. Great location.

Not always fair and expect a lot from staff. Not always many hour and only small contracts
No training or product information
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London21 July 2019
I enjoyed the work but wasn't given any training. Later they let me go. Totally inadequate response to their terrible lack of care for staff
Pros
Cons
Hard work with no rewards
Unproductive and boring workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  South East16 July 2019
I worked as a sales advisor in two different stores for Hotel Chocolat, management are all lazy staying upstairs most of the day while you’re on the shop floor alone.

Busy periods are fine because there is actually something to do but after that the job is so boring and you’re expected to be constantly happy and looking busy. Hardly any progression, head office and higher up are not concerned about the general staff and will do anything to keep managers happy.

Obviously half price chocolate is a perk and you get to try most things in store but it isn't really worth the stress, boredom and general feeling that management do not care and would replace you in an instant.
Pros
Chocolate tasting/ staff discount
Cons
Boring, poor management high expectations for low wage, favouritism
Good and easy work environment
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbury7 July 2019
I enjoyed the time i spent working for Hotel chocolat, it was a great first job and gave me a good experience to start from to take forward in the future.
Ok part-time job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London1 July 2019
I worked for the company for a year and a half and did a lot of covers in stores all over London.
Working at Hotel Chocolat is relatively easy - depending on the location of your store. High street and station shops are incredibly busy. Non-stop all day. Brutal. Smaller stores are really quiet most of the time.
The customers are easy to deal with - they're usually shopping for an occasion or for a present for someone and as such are usually in a good mood. Especially when you give them a free sample. You ask them what they're looking for, they tell you roughly what they want, you show them the relevant stock - they grab the item that suits them best and head towards the checkout. Easy-peasy.
You sell a few products, restock the shelves and clean up before you leave. Average day is not very challenging. The busiest times are holidays (Christmas, Easter Halloween), that's only when things really pick up.
Shift patterns are relatively okay - again depending on which store you end up at. Most stores operate roughly 9-19:00, so work-life balance in manageable.
The main problem with the job is only management get salaries and set work hours (40hrs a week) everyone else (sales advisers, supervisors) only get 8 hour contracts which means you are not guaranteed more than 8 hours a week (contractually that's all the company has to give you) and as such you get basically no paid holidays (if you take a week off, you will get paid for one 8 hour shift).
There is a possibility of doing covers in other stores to pick up some extra hours, but this is not guaranteed.
Another problem
  more... I personally witnessed was poor management, which is company wide. There is a big turnover of staff on all levels in this company, which leads to inconsistent management. Bad management was the main reason I left - I wasn't getting the hours or the training that I needed, I wasn't made aware of opportunities for career progression and that made me feel unappreciated and ignored by my manager and district manager. It was disappointing and frustrating as I put more than a year into the company and I wanted to go further and grow, but the poor management and poor communication got in the way of my career progression, so I felt like I had no choice but to leave.
From what I witnessed I feel like the company doesn't care about/or is not able to keep staff that's already trained, give people a reason to stay. So people come and go very quickly. People get passed over for promotions and instead of supporting trained staff they already have, the company hires externally, which leads to a drop in quality of service and ruins the teams morale, leaving the workplace culture in shambles.
In summary, I would ONLY recommend this job if you're looking for part-time employment. Full-time is NOT worth the hassle and the benefits are just not there.
Pros
Staff discount, friendly teammates
Cons
Poor/unhelpful management, 8 hour contracts, no paid holiday, no guaranteed hours, lack of clear vision/voice in management, lack of support from management, lack of transparency from management
Fun and busy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 June 2019
Hotel Chocolat was a very fun job as there was always something new to put on the shelf especially during the Christmas season. A great atmosphere in store.
Good company, poor transparency
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Newbury24 June 2019
Great place to work and a lovely environment. Great staff discount and hours were built around life beyond work. However rotation were made available days before shift. Good connection to head office and feels like a family. However Manager hard to connect with but supervisors always willing to help learn. I would definitely recommend working for them.
Pros
Pay, Team, Hours
Cons
Good atmosphere and nice people
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reading Station, Berkshire21 June 2019
A great place to work. They respect outside life and commitments, listen to needs or complaints. Nice employees and good staff discount. The customers are mostly nice as well, not as rude as other places.
Pros
good discount. flexible hours.
Cons
constantly stood up
Robotic
Sales Assistant/Barista (Current Employee) –  Glasgow20 June 2019
Employees are constantly bombarded, even out of working hours, with new rules and stipulations of the job. It's very stressful with very little reward, a very strict working environment. Usually a sales assistant will be doing a lot of managerial tasks with no extra pay.
Pros
Free coffee
Lack of work/life balance
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hitchin, Hertfordshire19 June 2019
I found the work/life balance went right out the window. One manager was great, another I struggled with. Was having a variety of the team from different departments come in. Really enjoyed learning the history of chocolate
Pros
Tasting & sharing knowledge on chocolate
Cons
Long days
Boring, not enough customers
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London22 May 2019
It’s a great job to have for a first and short-term job. However, it does not benefit you in the long run unless you become assistant store manager or store manager. Wouldn’t recommend this company for a long-term job. On the other hand, the hourly pay here is amazing - £9-10! But, you are not given enough hours - so at the end of the month, you don’t have enough money left over after you pay off your monthly expenses.
Pros
Great hourly pay
Cons
Not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hotel Chocolat. Our community is ready to answer.