Hopwood Hall College Employee Reviews

challenging
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester3 May 2018
Brilliant learners.
Every day presents new challanges excellent colleagues who are always supportive.
The opportunity to change young peoples lives for the better occurs everyday.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
productive and fun work place
Building maintenance technician tutor assistant (Current Employee) –  Middleton10 January 2018
Hopwood hall never gets boring, there is always a variety of tasks to be carried out each day. an average day at work would consist of 6 hours completing jobs and tasks and the other two spent in the workshop helping teach the next generation of construction workers leading demonstrations etc Hopwood hall has helped me turn my dreams into reality as I perused my career in construction.
Pros
short hours
Cons
non
Hopwood
Health and social care lecturer (Former Employee) –  Rochdale30 December 2017
Your day begins from 8.30-6pm due to carrying out interviews on a weekly basis. you have back to back sessions and lunch time can vary depending on your timetable. I have learnt a lot such as marking, becoming a part of standardization and becoming a course leader in a very short space of time. The staff are really helpful but due to poor management and the general environment in the staff room, it was difficult to work in an environment when the moral is low. management will throw a lot of their duties on you.
Pros
non
Cons
long hours, poor maangement
Local employers should find students from Hopwood Hall College
Trainee Chef (Student) (Former Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester13 November 2017
Known for its excellent facilities and successful students, the catering training by Hopwood Hall College.

Has it own restaurants with real customers for students to prepare, cook, and serve.
Pros
guaranteed job placements
Cons
no cons
Agency worker
Lecturer teaching BTEC Levels 1, 2 and 3 (Former Employee) –  Middleton31 August 2017
As an agency worker I was treated very well at Hopwood Hall Middleton. Good staff-room environment, was given own desk to work from. I would willingly work there again, if offered the chance.
Pros
Free car parking
Cons
Would have liked more teaching hours, lots of marking to do
Productive and fun workplace
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester1 July 2017
Hopwood Hall was a very enjoyable place for me to gain work experience and meet new people along the way. I learnt how to take care of hard situations and how to satisfy peoples needs and my own. I find it easier to talk to people and communicate better.
Pros
good hours
Cons
expensive food
Fun, communicative workplace
Trainee Hairdresser (Current Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester29 April 2017
As a trainee hairdresser, everything is practical in the college salon which is helpful with my communications skills and learning new techniques for both the practical side and communication side.
brill
technical support to students and teachers (Former Employee) –  Middleton, Greater Manchester24 April 2017
I did my work experience here and it was really good. Taught me lots of skills and allowed me to finesse my technology knowledge. Lovely staff and great atmosphere.
That was cool
Volunteer digital mental tutor (Former Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester10 January 2017
Basicly I enjoy helping other people so I've enjoyed every single monent. But as I said it was a voluntary work and I didnt get paid and I Didn't get any cerrificate either because it was a section of my employability course and i had to do it to get the emplyability's certificate
Pros
Cons
Short hours
below average company
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Rochdale3 November 2016
Poor management skills and badly organised. Obvious hierarchy where those at the bottom are not of any importance. The better staff are a threat to higher management and may suffer.
Pros
Cons
most things
Decent workplace
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Middleton5 October 2016
I was only doing work experience at Hopwood hall college but I found it enjoyable and I also got some new knowledge about working in a leisure centre dealing with customers and clients
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Don't really know was only doing work experience
Colleagues and staff make it what it is
English Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Rochdale and Middleton12 August 2016
Hopwood Hall College is a very driven FE establishment. The experience has been a massive learning curve both within teaching and within the culture of the place.
Colleagues and students make the experience, and principal is professional, friendly and interacts with students when he sees fit.
Overall, the experience depends on the department you work in.
Pros
Modern Middleton campus
Cons
The culture
Assessor
Assessor (Former Employee) –  Hopwood Hall College28 June 2016
Very little to no support given in the role. Training promised but never forthcoming. Terms of contract not met and pay rate was not adhered to. A typical 'pass the buck' management style with little to no positive engagement with staff. Quick to remind staff of their obligation but management regularly failed to meet theirs. Definitely a 'watch your back' organisation. If your face fits then you're OK, if not look to work elsewhere.

The facility itself is pleasant, other staff are OK on the whole, students are friendly and welcoming. It's a nice place to study just not a very good place to work.
Pros
Students are a pleasure to teach
Cons
Management ignore extra work and sacrifice staff do to accommodate managers lack of ability
Some enjoyable times but not enough to say I was happy here.
Brickwork tutor (Former Employee) –  Middleton28 April 2016
Usual teaching and instructing of brickwork. Assessing and internally verifying work. All associated paperwork. Completion of pro-monitor and Moodle requirements. Assisting on completing 'Its learning'.
My co-workers are usually willing to help out if necessary.
The hardest part of the job is balancing work requirements with home life. The more helpful tutors seem to be relied upon to undertake the majority of the work.
The most enjoyable times are when the department is left alone to manage itself.
Pros
Left alone to conduct my lessons.
Cons
Very little appreciation for extra work conducted and favours done.
Fantastic environment, great team.
Communication Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Middleton22 April 2016
Good and supportive working environment with a knowledgeable and helpful team. Working hours are long but plenty of support is provided and hours are distributed fairly.
Professional and enjoyable workplace
Gym assistant Work experience (Current Employee) –  Middleton campus sports arena8 January 2016
I enjoyed my work experience at hopwood hall college as all of the staff are very knowledgeable and friendly and they are always willing too go the extra mile too help you progress as an individual
Great working environment
Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  Middleton, ENG5 October 2015
During my time at Hopwood Hall College, I have been able to get experience in my chosen field and therefore gain confidence in what I want to do. The staff there have been very helpful in guidance towards where I want to go and overall it is a fantastic place to have worked.
Pros
Large pool of knowledge to gain
fun and educative
Carpenter/Joiner (Former Employee) –  Middleton, ENG16 July 2015
being at hoped hall college was a fun place to work at the tutors were very polite and helpful. I would also have a laugh with them i had a lot of good mates who would help me out when i was struggling with something.we also done a lot of good projects e.g. building a play set for kids, building roof trusses and other little projects.
Pros
nill
Cons
6 hours 3 days a week
fun place
studying (Current Employee) –  middleton31 May 2015
was studying and it was a great place to learn new key skills.
the tutors was great.
good learning styles.
took in consideration on different ways to learn
Pros
short days
Cons
distance to travel
Learning new skills to become a fully qualified ICT Practitioner
Student (Former Employee) –  Rochdale27 November 2014
I gained valuable practical knowledge in fault fainding, both hardware and software applciations, installing and testing administration protocols to ensure the desktop computers were working correctly with all software and hard ware installed correctly. I also got the opportunity to do actual work experience both at the college and at a local high school to fix and repair computers and get them up and running on various networks for the smooth running of the colleage and school installing administrative passwords and restrictions to prevent learners going on in-approperatie sites. also ensuring anti-virus software was up and running to prevent viruses enting the college network system and how to scan devices to find what viruses were causing problems and comming up with solutions to the problem. I got to learn how to give advice to PC users, on basic problems such as computers freezing and how to open up documents with appropriate compatible software.
I got to learn how to use tools and equipment safely ensuring equipment was switched off safely when installing and reparing hardware and softwware without corrupting the software or damaging the complents. I was the voice for other students when extra support was needed to complete assisgnment work, ending up being student rep for the entire group, liaising with other student reps and attending student meetings, to give a voice for the rest of the students who didn't have the confidence to speak up regarding student lifestyles.
Pros
handhout materials, tools and equipment were catered for
Cons
Finding the time to complete assighment work, you could spend long hours studying with not alot of sleep at times