Hopwood Hall College

Hopwood Hall College Employee Reviews

United Kingdom35 reviews
Collaborative and busy
Friendly and supportive 1-1 support for learners with additional behaviour /mental health needs to reach their full potential and reach smart targets. A fun place to work with young talented people.
best place to work
best place to work
friendly team

flexible hourgood place to develop your experience

good salary

good team and good management

Life Balance

good benefit
Minimal support with zero training
I did not work here long and I’m sure glad I didn’t. Line manager doesn’t look after you. If you have an issue and you seek to someone for help they don’t do much about it. Catty atmosphere in staff room. SST would come in staff room and start to tell confidential information to other staff members about how horrible the students are to deal with on a daily basis describe some of them as total wet wipes, majority of these students being described have disabilities and seek to their SST for help and guidance. Assessors get looked down on my lecturers (huge divide). All your line manager is bothered about is enrolment numbers not the welfare of students or staff. Ethics of this place is totally backward.
Terrible management that are not behind you. There is a blame culture. Students are allowed to hardly show up for lessons yet management allow them to
Students allowed to stay on the course, yet less than 40 per cent attendance. Then you are expected to do there work for them to get them through. You are threatened with your job of you don't ensure they pass and the pass rate always has to be higher than the previous year, otherwise your out the door.
Placement
I loved doing my placement in Hopwood Hall Creche. It gave me an opportunity to learn how it is to work with children. The other practitioners and the manager were so welcoming and I enjoyed all my time there.
Opportunities to develop professionally
Opportunities to develop your professional skill sets in this work environment, a small college with a culture of quality delivery. A well structured organisation with an approachable senior management team.
The overall atmosphere is conjusive to excellent teaching and learning. The staff are proactive with team building and cooperation between departments is evident.
Oppressive management regieme
Some very dedicated teaching staff that are committed to doing their best for the students and really support each other, with good managers. Some tutors are lazy and should not be in the job. They are an embatrresment to the profession. The Principal has a big ego and his senior management team act like the Gestapoh. It’s all about performance managentment and they are consumed wirh their own self importance. A sad and insecure bunch that command loyalty and respect but rarely earn it.
Pros
Staff spur each other on and support each other.
Cons
Senior management are obsessed with image and reputation.
challenging
Brilliant learners.
Every day presents new challanges excellent colleagues who are always supportive.

The opportunity to change young peoples lives for the better occurs everyday.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
Productive and good environment fun workplace
It was overall a fun place to work and i enjoyed the experience because I learnt new skills and developed more confidence Also I got to meet new people
Pros
Breaks and enjoyable experience
Cons
Sometimes long hours
productive and fun work place
Hopwood hall never gets boring, there is always a variety of tasks to be carried out each day. an average day at work would consist of 6 hours completing jobs and tasks and the other two spent in the workshop helping teach the next generation of construction workers leading demonstrations etc Hopwood hall has helped me turn my dreams into reality as I perused my career in construction.
Pros
short hours
Cons
non
Hopwood
Your day begins from 8.30-6pm due to carrying out interviews on a weekly basis. you have back to back sessions and lunch time can vary depending on your timetable. I have learnt a lot such as marking, becoming a part of standardization and becoming a course leader in a very short space of time. The staff are really helpful but due to poor management and the general environment in the staff room, it was difficult to work in an environment when the moral is low. management will throw a lot of their duties on you.
Pros
non
Cons
long hours, poor maangement
Local employers should find students from Hopwood Hall College
Known for its excellent facilities and successful students, the catering training by Hopwood Hall College.

Has it own restaurants with real customers for students to prepare, cook, and serve.
Pros
guaranteed job placements
Cons
no cons
Agency worker
As an agency worker I was treated very well at Hopwood Hall Middleton. Good staff-room environment, was given own desk to work from. I would willingly work there again, if offered the chance.
Pros
Free car parking
Cons
Would have liked more teaching hours, lots of marking to do
Productive and fun workplace
Hopwood Hall was a very enjoyable place for me to gain work experience and meet new people along the way. I learnt how to take care of hard situations and how to satisfy peoples needs and my own. I find it easier to talk to people and communicate better.
Pros
good hours
Cons
expensive food
Fun, communicative workplace
As a trainee hairdresser, everything is practical in the college salon which is helpful with my communications skills and learning new techniques for both the practical side and communication side.
brill
I did my work experience here and it was really good. Taught me lots of skills and allowed me to finesse my technology knowledge. Lovely staff and great atmosphere.
That was cool
Basicly I enjoy helping other people so I've enjoyed every single monent. But as I said it was a voluntary work and I didnt get paid and I Didn't get any cerrificate either because it was a section of my employability course and i had to do it to get the emplyability's certificate
Pros
Cons
Short hours
below average company
Poor management skills and badly organised. Obvious hierarchy where those at the bottom are not of any importance. The better staff are a threat to higher management and may suffer.
Pros
Cons
most things
Decent workplace
I was only doing work experience at Hopwood hall college but I found it enjoyable and I also got some new knowledge about working in a leisure centre dealing with customers and clients
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Don't really know was only doing work experience
Colleagues and staff make it what it is
Hopwood Hall College is a very driven FE establishment. The experience has been a massive learning curve both within teaching and within the culture of the place.
Colleagues and students make the experience, and principal is professional, friendly and interacts with students when he sees fit.

Overall, the experience depends on the department you work in.
Pros
Modern Middleton campus
Cons
The culture
Assessor
Very little to no support given in the role. Training promised but never forthcoming. Terms of contract not met and pay rate was not adhered to. A typical 'pass the buck' management style with little to no positive engagement with staff. Quick to remind staff of their obligation but management regularly failed to meet theirs. Definitely a 'watch your back' organisation. If your face fits then you're OK, if not look to work elsewhere.

The facility itself is pleasant, other staff are OK on the whole, students are friendly and welcoming. It's a nice place to study just not a very good place to work.
Pros
Students are a pleasure to teach
Cons
Management ignore extra work and sacrifice staff do to accommodate managers lack of ability
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hopwood Hall College. Our community is ready to answer.
Hopwood Hall College Reviews by Location