Homes England

Homes England Employee Reviews

United Kingdom18 reviews
Best place I have ever worked
This is the best place I have worked, their commitment to work life balance has been incredible but its not a free ride, there is an expectation you do your job and you do it well and are paid as such. Benefits are fantastic such a car, pension, holiday and although there is a 'corporate' culture this is not rammed down your throat like other places and everyone is incredibly supportive. However, progression in your job appears to be down to who is next in line, rather than suitability for the job. in addition whilst the pay is good, the wide salary bands mean you could be earning significantly less than someone else on the same grade, doing the same job and there is no progression within the band, you negotiate your salary before you start and then that's your salary until you change jobs i.e. get promoted.
Good for self development and working for periods of time
gaining experience in various areas

very busy typically on a day and capacity to be able to learn about various areas of the organisation or business in detail.In addition much can be learned by working in close capacity with senior management team
Lovely place to work
Lovely place to work but low salary and arrogant management who don’t listen to staff or support them with life balance and don’t allow flexible working or working from home
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
No flexible working
Great place to work with excellent colleagues who are passionate about hpusing delivery
A great working culture and environment. Working with experts and knowledgeable work colleagues who are passionate about the delivery of housing across all parts of the country
Great Company
Homes England have been a great employer so far and I would recommend them to anyone. The members of staff are very welcoming and professional and have made my time at Homes England extremely enjoyable.
Great working environment and job role
A typical day of work would generally be a hour worth of general admin related tasks followed by a hard yet surprisingly rewarding day which includes data reporting, solving data issues, Finding methods to further improve business as usual and reporting to managerial departments.
Expanding and progressive organisation
Good place to work very good values and work ethics are promoted.
This is a growing organisation with opportunities for the right person.

Flexible working available.
overall enjoyable workspace
overall enjoyable work experience great people and surroundings.
this allowing me to then be comfortable where I work and also be comfortable with the people you work with.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Homes England?
Good team
Good team, very busy but balanced workload, working to deadlines, not ensured job security. Office not the best, crowded, noisy and tired, in need of revamp
Overall Review
HCA - is a good place to work, I enjoy working here.
Various locations to work from

Able to work from home

Good Flexible working

Good workplace culture
Excellent Employers
Excellent employers, senior staff very supportive to every staff

there is no fear in talking with senior staff, everyone works together.

Hardest part of the job understanding complex financial information

most enjoyable part - everyone very supportive, it was a pleasure to work there.
Pros
Executive Directors are very supportive at all levels
Cons
too many changes in the structure as legislation changes
Great job
Great job. Flexible working allows a good work/life balance.
No micro management.

A very busy and sometimes complex role, there is always work to be done.
Toxic culture
Working at the HCA was the worst experience of my career. The culture was toxic - you were expected to do 12-hour days, management were all over the place and had no idea what was happening, and the strategic direction of the entire agency didn't make any sense. There were people in senior positions bullying their juniors, and in six months I witnessed many tears from people who had snapped. Although I had a fantastic salary and a BMW, I had never been so miserable - I left after less than a year and took a significant pay cut, but I was a million times more happy.
Pros
High salary
Cons
Everything else
Good emplyer with a strong belief in Work life balance
Government Agency so has to follow government lead.Supportive. Line Manager and friendly team environment. Varied work which allows me to plan my own diary and schedule meetings, audits, inspections around my requirements.
Growing team with interesting mandate
This role involved analysis of large data sets and translation of this information into cohesive and cogent reports, background notes, and briefing information for managers. Liaison with teams in regional areas including project managers and other staff working on the ground to ensure up to date and smooth transfer of data and other relevant information.
There was a great deal of scope for learning in this role from various database systems and guidance in developing analytical skills to having access to the Civil Service learning website and the wealth of development opportunities available therein.

The most challenging aspects of this role included analysis of large data sets to meet monthly and other reporting requirements in very short time frames. Ongoing and at times unnecessary changes to reporting requirements and formatting also provided difficulties for the team as a whole.

The team I worked with at HCA were exceptional. Dedicated, hard-working and all in possession of formidable humour even when working to the toughest deadlines.
Productive and friendly environment
Since i started I've attended several training on how to use tools required for the role and the structure of the project, had many meeting to build better relationships with the other members of the team based in other offices.Coworkers willing to help any time and also for a chat when possible
Pros
Environment
Cons
Chaotic structure of the project
A really good employer in the public sector
I have been employed for the HCA and predecessor organisations, all in the public sector, within a variety of executive secretarial/administrative roles which I have thoroughly enjoyed and from which I have gained much experience in this particular field.

Over the years, I have been lucky to have worked with a whole range of people, from clerical and administrative staff to chartered surveyors, planners, senior level partners, directors so can communicate well at all levels.

The most enjoyable part of my many roles is being able to spend my working day with such talented and dedicated people who are not afraid of new challenges and this has inspired me tremendously and as a result am not afraid to go the extra mile to achieve my deadlines and goals.

I have always worked long hours and am dedicated which I think is reflected in my longevity of 35 years within the same organisation and particular field of work.
Pros
Free parking, help with training and personal development
Cons
Several restructures and uncertainties connected with Government cut backs
Virtually closed down now following new gov.
Varied working day with the opportunity to meet MP's, national and local celebrities. Learned that huge national projects and small municipal projects need the same degree of planning and diligence as well as comprehensive public engagement. Co-workers were all professional and friendly.
Pros
Excellent facilities whilst I was there. Private car park etc
Cons
Instructions could change at short notice.