Homebase Employee Reviews

Team Member (Former Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire18 October 2018
A typical day included working on the till, within your section (mine was the garden and seasonal section), customer service focus and target focus.
Learned sales techniques and exceptional customer service
Management was at different levels, within my first 3 years the head management was very autocratic however in my later years head management changed for the better with lower managing members taking up the role.
Good energy, good people, skilled and knowledgeable members.
The hardest part was the late replenishments, dealing with all weather conditions especially in the garden and the heavy lifting.
The most enjoyable part was the response from customers within the garden centre. Working with Christmas trees was tiring and cold but the joy from children was amazing. In the summer, helping the elderly with their potting and projects was always good fun.
Pros
Community and charity engagement
Cons
Poor head management and the effect the new owners had on the company
Productive and Fun
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim11 October 2018
Not every day is the same, there is always so much to do and some times that means staying behind to make sure it gets done.

You work as part of a team which turns into an extension of your family.

The hardest part of the job is trying to juggle family life and work at the same time.
Pros
Good Work mates
Cons
Long Hours
Great Place
General Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sutton-In-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire9 October 2018
The best employer ever is like having your own work family every single day the staff were friendly and genuinely wanted to be there and it showed in store
Good work/life balance
Project Management (Current Employee) –  Buckinghamshire9 October 2018
Experienced a good work/life balance and working hours. People are friendly and there is generally a good atmosphere. Career development opportunities are limited.
its a job
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Herne Bay, Kent8 October 2018
overall it is okay job to have with hours and pay but the management system there is floored with there being to many managers in one building and miss comunications happening often
Pros
discount card
Cons
pay isn't amazing
typical day
Till worker (Current Employee) –  Bath and North East Somerset4 October 2018
The typical day is to come in and talk to the customers and make sure they are having a great time in the store and make sure they are receiving the best service you can give.
Pros
everyone is friendly and inviting
pros and cons
desk supervisor (Former Employee) –  london3 October 2018
working there is varied and not boring. pay is OK for a student and holiday is quite good but management was awful at my store and rules on sickness are unfair imo.
Good part time job for students
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff1 October 2018
I worked here during my studies at college,
working mainly evenings and weekends I was often faced with a busy work environment, which required quick adaptation.
Staff make the job enjoyable and there is a strong community.
Made Redundant
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Essex30 September 2018
I was made redundant when I was 8 months pregnant and so was my partner when the store we worked in closed.

All my colleagues were nice.

Not enough head sets for all members of staff working.
Fantastic First Job - perfect for students
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dereham, Norfolk29 September 2018
Have worked at Homebase for 2 years part-time, but now moving on to pursue my career.

I worked mostly 8 hours a week, 2 evenings during the week which these hours fit in perfectly with college/uni, also got overtime where sometimes got to do full days during the week, plus some weekends whenever available which they were very understanding and respectful of my higher education studies alongside working.

The most enjoyable parts of working here were staff social events e.g. nights out and bowling, satisfaction when you know you've really helped a customer or your colleagues, and when you finish a pallet of stock with no overs ;)

My main duties were putting out stock on the shop floor, assisting customers, paint mixing, making/answering phone calls from customers and other local stores checking stock, merchandising by creating price sheets for displays, and shelf edges/hooks. When I first started, was trained very comprehensively on what I needed to know about health and safety, security, sales and service skills, which I would definitely recommend Homebase to anyone who is looking for a first job/experience of working in retail.

Throughout my time here I have met lots of friendly colleagues, who will always help you out with something you couldn't do such as advising a customer if you are not sure. Types of customers vary which is normal wherever you work :)
Pros
fair break times depending on length of your shift, kitchen and locker facilities, great pay for age, training provided for new staff
Cons
short staffed sometimes, old computers and tills, repetitive music playlist, customers complaining about prices
Colleague are like family.
Designer (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire27 September 2018
Everybody talks to each other, there is not one person who I don't get along with. We are like one big family, we work together as a team and support each other when needed.
Great place to start
Garden Centre Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yeovil17 September 2018
Great place to start for work experience, only thing i disagreed with was the all black uniform, while working outside all day with not very much shade. Other than that its alright.
uninspiring workplace
CUSTOMER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hove, East Sussex17 September 2018
not a very enjoyable place to work with no opportunity to get more hours so was stuck just working one shift a week. The store overall was poorly run making for a difficult working experience.
Pros
a good entry job to gain experience
Cons
no opportunity for extra work and low wages
fun
csa (Former Employee) –  Greenock, Inverclyde9 September 2018
Productive and fun place to work with good colleagues and management. the best part of the job is getting to know the customers. the hardest part is trying trying to get ur work done and help customers at the same time without management at your back
Pros
good benifits
Cons
management issues
Homebase
Register Operator (Current Employee) –  St Albans7 September 2018
The weekly rosters for the Front End Support are posted (on average) three days before the start of the new week which doesn't permit a great work/life balance. However the job does allow the opportunity to learn about various products and services that the company offers with training made available for these areas.
Interesting and varied place to work.
Admin & Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Swindon5 September 2018
I have been there for seven years and have found the work varied and enjoyable. They are flexible and try to accommodate suitable work hours for both employee and business.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Can be demanding
good work companions
Delivery Driver/Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Suffolk4 September 2018
typical large company not enough time for its staff training was always an issue and only way to learn more was to do from home in your own time.and unfortunatly current outlook is not very good.
Average work environment
Customer Service Sales Assistant- Part time (Current Employee) –  North London, Greater London3 September 2018
Typical work environment. Management at Homebase North Finchley need major improvement as they treat their staff in an aggressive manner. Staff are friendly but are payed unfairly
A typical 21st century UK High Street retailer
G4 (Team Leader) (Current Employee) –  Cornwall2 September 2018
A highly committed workforce. A specialist, often technical product range. Clear direction from a dedicated management team. A relentless productivity drive, whilst balancing task with service.
Poor place to work
Garden Centre Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Ipswich31 August 2018
A good place to work that provides diverse opportunity however its struggling financially and closing stores which has left me seeking new employment due to a lack of faith in the company.
Pros
Provides diverse new skills
Cons
Struggling financially