Homebase Employee Reviews

Great place for a first job
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Romford15 February 2018
Started working here when i started college to help fun a car, started partime and eventually was working full time, loved the people and variety. Built a good relationship with quite a few customers over the years too.
Pros
Variety
Cons
At the time the uniform was green dungarees
Staff were good to work with
Garden Centre Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead15 February 2018
Overall I didn't enjoy working here, management weren't caring for their staff members and we were left to get on with our own tasks. In all it didn't give everyone a good work life
its ok for a starting job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sidcup12 February 2018
when is was there the work colleague's were great to be around and had loads of fun but the management was very poor. every customer was looked at like a number for a fiance opportunity.
Variety
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bradford9 February 2018
Working in a large store format always produced something unexpected which I enjoyed, but my favorite part of the job was managing the people under me, delegating to develop their potential.

A typical day would be a walk of the store with key personnel deciding on what needed action urgently and dividing up resources. Then it would be reviewing previous days performance in relation to KPIs, dealing with paperwork, managers meetings, appraisals and much more besides.

The hardest part of my role was managing productivity under ever greater scrutiny from HO.
Good Learning Experience
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Wrexham9 February 2018
A good learning experience within a retail business. I learnt how to communicate with customers and colleagues in a professional environment. Whilst also learning how to effectively manage my time and being adaptable to a variety of tasks and situations that arose during my time there.
Pros
Experience, hone communication and professional skills
Cons
Low salary and minimal benefits
Engaging workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Ruislip7 February 2018
A typical day at work consisted of maintaining the shop floor and dealing with customer enquires, maintaining a high level of customer service throughout
Good first job
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewes, East Sussex5 February 2018
This was my first job within in sales and I loved it so much within my first day I made well over £2,000 and my manger was very happy with the way I could sell things to customers. Helpful employees and always willing to teach you nice areas of the store.
Pros
Learn departments quickly
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun Workplace
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swansea4 February 2018
Very enjoyable to work here, and you naturally learn a lot about DIY and also meet some great staff, I'm glad I took this experience onboard but there were some faults in the workplace.
Pros
Fun staff
Cons
Poor management
Good for part-time
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol4 February 2018
It was good for a part-time student to get money. Wouldn't say for full-time as it was very boring, badly organised and some of the staff were really rude.
Pros
Free car-parking
Cons
Boring af
Seen many changes. Going through transition period due to takeover
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield4 February 2018
I have done a number of jobs whilst employed at homebase. Cashier, replen, price control, booking in deliveries & checking invoices, stock levels & inventionary accuracy
Horrible
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire2 February 2018
Management can be really rude, especially when they’re having a bad day, they take it out on staff. It could be on the slightest thing, such as you didn’t put one thing away because you have been really busy (because they give you a million and one jobs). Didn’t enjoy my time there, the only thing that made it bareable was the other employees.
They are not very good at giving holiday, always leave it unti the last minute so you have to keep bugging them. You do not get bank holidays off only Christmas Day, which you must make up those hours if it falls on a day you are working.
Time goes very slow and it is tiring. If you do something to help them you do not get a thank you either! The amount of times I have gone out of my way to do something for them and you get no thanks.
I do not recommend working here.
Pros
Employees are nice
Cons
Work load is too much
Nice staff to work worh
Cashier and Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrow Weald1 February 2018
Wasn’t always Hours to work on a 0 hours contrct but I enjoyed working there when I did have my hours. I would recommend this place to work if you need a lot of flexibility
Good job willing to learn
Full time mother and homemaker (Current Employee) –  Bradford31 January 2018
I work as a cleaner on a daily basis with all the housework I work at Homebase's at present I enjoy wat I do and also willing to learn new tasks I work at home
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Minimum hrs
Its not a bad 9-5 job
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln28 January 2018
Retail is retail and its the same anywhere you go. Its not a bad place to work. The staff are very good, however, the company is using outdated systems. Will be much better as a Bunnings store.
Great place
Cleaning supervisor (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire27 January 2018
Great place to work.
Worked here for almost 20 years.
Great early morning hours
Convenience for parking and easy to get to.
Lovely work colleagues.
Awful awful place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex27 January 2018
Bullies bullies bullies!!!!! Made to feel like I was useless, had to hand my notice in otherwise they would have got rid of me because I wasn’t doing the role I was hired to do because they didn’t train me!!! Manager is a bully and I would advise you all to not work there!!
Cons
Difficult but got the hang of it
Replenishment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mill Hill25 January 2018
As a sixth form student I applied for a weekend job and managed to secure it at Homebase. My duties were primarily restocking the store after it had closed as the deliveries came in. As this was a large store it took a while to learn the layout but eventually got the hang of it.
Pros
No customers to deal with
Productive and friendly work place.
Till Staff (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh24 January 2018
I would serve customers at the tills making sure they found and got what they needed with a helpful and friendly manner. I learned more customer service skills and were customer orders were in the warehouse. It was a good atmosphere and a good place to work, all the staff members were kind and friendly.
Pros
activities in staff room
very rush
Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire22 January 2018
I havet to know where everything is located and place each item. The manager was rushing me to put the item on the shelf. I have to finish putting everything at the end of the shift. I like working after the shop is closed.
Pros
no Customers
Cons
late finsih
Discusting
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, Suffolk22 January 2018
The mangment have no idea what they are doing and if they don't like you they will bully you until you leave that's why 50 people left in under a year! the mangment they do nothing about harrasmeant claims !

Being jobless without a penny to your name is better than doing a shift at Homebase in sudbury suffolk

Avoid!
Pros
Cons
Everything about the staff and company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Homebase. Our community is ready to answer.