Homebase Employee Reviews

No support Business in disarray
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Oxford16 May 2018
Was a good business to work for until the last two years. Training through induction is poor and lot of talent have left as a result. More support and training is required for the team in stores.
Outstanding work place
Garden Centre Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire16 May 2018
I have almost worked for Homebase for four years I have loved every minute the staff and brilliant and helpful but sadly we let’s out self down at the end that’s why I chose to leave because higher management didn’t see what’s happening to us staff.
Pros
Amazing customer service
Cons
Fuels promises
Fun environment but management needs work
Customer service assistant (Current Employee) –  Bracknell6 May 2018
In a typical day you meet many different kinds of people, generally an okay place to work however management levels and schemes need work the most enjoyable part of the job are the different characters you get to meet
Good opportunities to progress
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire1 May 2018
great to work as part of a team striving for targets. Supported by management to get into designing- a career I did not expect for myself. Can be long hours but rewarding when your designs come to life and impact people in a positive way
A very demanding but fun workplace
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Godalming, Surrey28 April 2018
I think the new ownership has really ruined the identity of Homebase. The new management and changes are very hard on customers and staff. It is a very demanding job however the reward is superb! I have made so many friends from this job and I loved going to work every day!
Pros
Good lunch breaks
Cons
Physically demanding
great management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond25 April 2018
this was a great place to work very friendly and was always trained before doing anything managers always support you in what you are doing if you are not happy with your role they will try to help you to find something you enjoy within your store
Pros
great place to work
Cons
hours are rubbish
Friendly and helpful
Front End Supervisor (part time) (Former Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands25 April 2018
Working in Homebase each day can be quite varied. One day can be quiet and you'll be interacting with the regular customers of the store, and another day could be fast paced with a sudden sale or challenging sale. This meant it was an excellent environment to learn to work on my toes and taught me a lot about customer service in various situations. As well as teaching me how to organise my time properly and prioritise my tasks in work.
The management in Homebase did an amazing job at both training and continuing to support me throughout my employment, especially if you consider how much work the management team have on their plates. Everyone employee in the store, full-time and part-time, were all friendly and dedicated to their store. They all made it a great environment for anyone entering the store and instilled a desire for success in every new employee. As Minworth was one of the smaller Homebase stores, all the employees got a chance to meet and get to know each other, which I really enjoyed as we became like a family.
Pros
Friendly, strives for success, overtime was almost always available.
Cons
The unfortunate store closure
Management pick on you for no reason
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tunbridge Wells, Kent23 April 2018
The management is quite literally the reason why working for Homebase can be extremely draining. They’re dense as anything, completely disregard any personal problems and have no care in the world how their staff are. They rarely gave any holiday and in the last year I’ve had about 2 weeks off, they make up stuff to make you seem like you’re a bad employee and give terrible advice for everything. It’s as if Homebase just picked out the people in the UK with the lowest possible IQ and shoved them into a managers role. Absolutely would not recommend in the slightest.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Bad management, terrible work quality, bad hours, holidays are rarely given
Store Manager and above have no clue
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Swindon22 April 2018
Day to day - be the lone person on the shop floor because SM had too much to do in the office. Be given a list of tasks to do but as you're the lone member of shop floor staff you also need to paint mix, fetch customer orders, stand on meet and greet, advise customers, put out stock, get barcodes for checkouts, carry to car, low level gap check, drop and fill etc.

Then be berated by SM when they finally leave office that your list of tasks havent been touched.

Don't expect actual one on one training, you learn by osmosis.
Pros
Amazing team of people
Cons
SM wants the moon on a stick but refuses to give you the stick
Management sucks
Sales Assistant/Trainee Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Andover19 April 2018
In the interview store manager seemed really nice. But once I got the job he changed and was condescending and rude. Recently had personal problems to which he replied your job is more important! Say they want to be challenged but when you do they don't accept it or acknowledge your opinion in any way shape or form.
Productive and upbeat workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke18 April 2018
While working at Homebase I was introduced into the world of work and learned in many areas of the company to increase my knowledge of the business and how I can be helpful to customers and other staff members.
fun work place
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntingdon17 April 2018
On a day to day basis i do enjoy going to work and seeing my colleges as we are a great team but the job roles don't change and get repetitive, although being customer facing i also welcome a new challenge and when something out of the blue pops up i will be the first one to nominate myself.
The management are friendly, although sometimes i think they are in the wrong job role.
The hardest part of the job is lack of communication and that makes every job position within Homebase difficult.
The most enjoyable bit of the job in my opinion, is knowing that ive helped someone or they are satisfied with my help.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
potential to promote
productive fun workplace
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk17 April 2018
good place too work with many opportunities .great business place with caring staff and lots of busy customers . although a short term job very enjoyable and a great disappointment to leave
Pros
great pay
Cons
not very many praises were said
excellent workplace once upon a time
sales assistant/ showroom assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands16 April 2018
I worked at Homebase for 5 years and can honestly say that it was the best job I had ever had. The staff were fantastic and everyone got on well with each other, we often had nights out either with each other as a team or as a company. Unfortunately things went downhill rather quickly when Bunnings (the Australian Owners) bought Homebase. They didn't do they're homework as to what the Great British public wanted, it certainly wasn't the pile of rubbish they brought in. I left just under a year ago and feel incredibly sad that this happened.
Good for Summer work
Customer Sales and Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reigate16 April 2018
I had a quick few months at Homebase earning some money over the summer. I felt at times we were understaffed and I was expected to complete too many tasks at one. Staff were very friendly.
Productive fast moving work environment.
Senior SAP Techno/Functional Consultant (Current Employee) –  Wallington Surrey13 April 2018
As is typical in a retail environment, priorities are subject to continuous change at Homebase. This creates opportunities for learning new skills and very interesting projects. My time at Homebase has been characterised by several different technical and functional incarnations by taking advantage of these changes.
Enjoyed the variation of each day.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stamford12 April 2018
A very good Company to work for when Homebase belonged to The Home retail group. Within my time as a Customer Services Advisor with Homebase I was witness to a takeover bid undertaken by West Farmers (Bunnings). It was within a short lived space of time of this takeover I was to realise that the Australian Company were attempting to take a very British Company such as Homebase to a place that it did not belong within a very British market.
Always something different to do
Shop floor sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire12 April 2018
Gd group of people that I worked with, stores started to be underfunded, head office kept changing there plans/ideas but never got it right, left because I was made redundant as our store closed.
Pros
Good work colleagues
Cons
Head office meddling
Productive, caring company
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Silksworth10 April 2018
Fun place to work. Friendly work environment. Ideal for work experience. Gave an insight into what it is like working for a big retail company. Finally it was a good experience provider.
Ok
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Clitheroe7 April 2018
Really fun place to work at the start but you start to loose interest and it gets boring really quickly workers there are nice and help alot with everything.
Pros
Alot of benefits
Cons
same stuff everyday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Homebase. Our community is ready to answer.