Home Bargains Employee Reviews

Hard but rewarding!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morecambe, Lancashire3 October 2017
Home Bargains was a great environment and I did enjoy working there, While at Home Bargains I feel I matured and developed as a team member and as an individual and have acquired a number of skills such as, Time Keeping, Productivity, Creativity, Communication and Team work.

The hardest part of the job was definitely working cages it was the most tiring but it was tolerable.
Working there is appoling
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield.2 October 2017
They have not the best or high rating, the management hasn't given me any prospects and they don't value anything within the staff and they do not treat them correctly.
Pros
Nice Staff
Cons
Management was really bad.
A business in a hurry
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Armagh, County Armagh1 October 2017
This is a rapidly growing, very enthusiastic firm that appreciates commitment and effort. How well any day goes depends on the particular staff on duty. This firm, as any other, has its disasters in terms of weak supervisors but on the whole a positive attitude is shown to staff who put in genuine effort.
The pay sometimes feels a bit mean, but it is a competitive market, and everyone knows where they stand.
Flexibility on attendance is down to the manager/supervisor in charge of rostering at each store, so is as flexible as each individual makes it.
Their expansion rate generates constant opportunities and success is possible for staff determined to succeed — and avoid getting involved in personal spats with difficult supervisors. Tough it out and go for promotion or a transfer if someone is getting you down.

You can learn all the basics of modern retailing in their stores, so it is a good grounding for anyone new to the trade.
Pros
Opportunities, well grounded business
Cons
Occasional weak supervisors and managers
job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 October 2017
its a great job but in need of more hours and the company are not able to offer me more hours. the company itself is good but need to get in to a full time job as the job I'm currently doing is a part time job.
Challenging work place.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire30 September 2017
A typical day was having to check float for till and serve customers through the till on a 4 hour shift.Learned cash handling and customer service.
Management very organised and precise for the running of the store.
The Workplace culture was true and to the point.
Ensuring that the store was fully functional and presented at all times.
Good support throughout the store with other staff.
Pros
Established company.
Cons
Inflexible hours.
Terrible place to work!!
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bletchley, Buckinghamshire29 September 2017
The management are awful!! They lack people skills and MANAGEMENT SKILLS!! Have little respect for staff members needs, I was often made to feel uncomfortable. I always felt like most of the managers felt like they were above the staff!! I filled out paper work to go on holiday, came back and my name had been taken off the rota!!

Honestly the worst place I have ever worked, badly run and not worth your time.
Productive and fun
Sales Assistant/lead sales (Former Employee) –  Portadown, County Armagh27 September 2017
Home Bargains is a productive, busy environment to work in. You are always kept busy with plenty of work to do and its shift work and also your never doing the same thing everyday so you dont get bored of your job.
productive and hard work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset27 September 2017
Each day we had a delivery which had to be cleared by a certain time which was hard work as each cage of stock had to be done by 45 minutes. I learned a lot while working here such as good health and safety skills within the retail part of work and also great customer service skills
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
not a lot of hours
Overworked and under appreciated
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Dorset24 September 2017
Store management is poor and for the hours I was doing, the pay was a joke for my age. Facilities are poor and struggled to enjoy my job very quickly.
Pros
Opportunity for flexibility around hours
Cons
Pay was unfair for job I was doing and management was a joke
productive place of work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire23 September 2017
staff are always willing to help when help is needed.
The job is physically demanding. Friendly and welcoming members of staff. it is a fast pace environment.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
late shifts
Area manager
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hampshire21 September 2017
Does not have a clue what she is doing making everyones life a misery always negative when comin into store never speaks to anyone unless to moan will never sort any problems out just ignores them i lnow more than she does the company itself is ok
Pros
Discount
Cons
productive and fun work place
Cashier/Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire20 September 2017
a very friendly work environment and help is always there incase you cant manage on your own , the work staff are very helpful and got on with me straight away .
overall great experience .
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
not enough hours
Awful
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denbigh, Denbighshire20 September 2017
Assistant manager talks to you like your worthless, shouting at you on the shop floor whilst customers are around, changes rota without informing you therefore you can never make plans and then getting NOI for not turning up to shifts. Lead sales are brilliant as are the sales assistants.
Pros
Cons
Assistant manager
Friendly environment.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire19 September 2017
A typical day at work would consist of working the delivery to get all of the stock out on the shelf's ready for the customers to view.

I have learned how to stack shelf's and got a better understanding of the store and how it works. Also i have grown a lot more confidence towards working with new people and talking to the customers when they need it.

The management is overall pretty good, there are only a few flaws but most of the time they are great and friendly.

The culture of our workplace is overall entertaining to all of the staff with each other there and also it is very friendly and quite enjoyable when you are there.

The hardest part of the job is when it gets near Christmas time and the really big delivery's come in and we have to try and find space for all of the stock to go out.

The most enjoyable time at work is when all of the staff are there and are having a fun and friendly time with each other whilst doing the work that is needed of them.
Pros
Friendly enviroment
Cons
Big deliverys
loader
Loader (Former Employee) –  Liverpool19 September 2017
I was picker and packer. Lader and packer is little by heavy job, because you have to lift a lot. Staff in warehouse is no bad. great organisations you know what for you get in.
aproductive working environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire19 September 2017
I would assist customers with product inquiries and work on the till. In this role i learned a great deal about effective customer services and managinging large amounts of money
Horrendous place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire19 September 2017
The management are an absolute joke they have zero people skills and cant talk to staff properly just bark orders in front of customers as well. If you hit the 39 hours you're sent home so overtime isnt paid. The hours are a farce if it says finish at 1pm then expect any time after 3pm. They dont believe staff have a life away from there. Also if your children are ill and you need time off expect to be threatened with the sack!!
Pros
Making friends with staff
Cons
Management. Hours. Pay
Decent but far from ideal
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derbyshire18 September 2017
If you're looking for your first jib, this is great. If you already have a mortgage to pay off, this is okay. If you're looking to get a mortgage to buy a house... you won't get one working here as they don't do contracts over 20 hours (which is probably why so many peole leave.)

The management will differ from place to place, obviously but it tends to be pretty poor with people just getting on at you to do something, even if that means moving a section of the shop to a new area, they don't want you getting paid to do nothing even if there is nothing to do. Waiting on a delivery? "Right, move all that to the end aisle and bring what's down there up here." Pointless.

No bonuses for good work but an instant sit down with a board of people if you get even ONE complaint by someone who came in with an attitude problem and felt you were rude because you couldn't help them.

Oh course, you wabt to make sure your staff are giving good customer service, but you shouldn't be treating your staff worse than you'd expect the staff to treat the customers. If you have a problem with your managment, there is no one t complain to.
Pros
Slightly above minimum wage, weekly pay, 10% discount (only useable at the branch you work ar, though)
Cons
Managment, hours, lack of breaks if you're working less than a 6-hour shift despite the law, paying for your own uniform (£10 per item if you're there less than 18-months, which most are)
great staff
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire14 September 2017
Great staff good store ok hours just don't like how the management treat staff and customers the hourly rate is not bad and the discount is good although can only use it in the store where you work
Pros
10% discount in store
Cons
awful shifts
Difficult management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London13 September 2017
My hours were very good and the staff were lovely. Unfortunately my new manager was incredibly prejudice towards me which made for a miserable working environment.
Pros
Good hrs
Cons
Stock take

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8