Home Bargains Employee Reviews

Unsociable hours, bad management and no benefits for working there.
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheshire8 January 2018
I have been working at Home Bargains for a year and 6 months now. Firstly i started out as weekend staff as i was still at sixth form and then took on a full time contract. At first i loved the job, it was my first job and i loved the sense of responsibility. But then as the months grew on i realised how bad of a company it is. The management are terrible, there is no communication between them and staff members so we regularly get told different things by different management. We are treated unfairly and are expected to work stupid hours on such short notice. If we are treated badly by any customers, they don't care,we have to take it and be very polite back, no matter what the situation. We can never get a word in edgeways as in their eyes we are always wrong even if were upset about something. This job is terrible and the way you are treated is appalling. I would NOT recommend this job.
Cons
Unsociable hours and treated unfairly
not the best
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire7 January 2018
good working environment, unorganised with work times. I got good pay for the hours I worked over the weekend. some weekends it was a good place to be but mostly not the best place to work with
Pros
friendly enviroment
Cons
changed round working times without informing me
Fairly positive work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset7 January 2018
The job is a positive work place the people around you are very kind and help you out when you first start, the management is okay but the hours are not spread fairly.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Hours
Home bargains
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire6 January 2018
I think that home bargains is a horrible company cause the management team is very bad and they give you horrible breaks and they are very strict and not very nice to there staff
Nonfun workplace
Loader/Unloader (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside3 January 2018
The hardest part of this place is My work , loading, is very hard job But i’m not happy with My wages . Normaly the supervisors is Ok But under pressure i can’t regonize .
Cons
Longs Hours
Worst Job Ever
Sales\Fill Staff (Former Employee) –  Southend, Essex2 January 2018
Management treat you like rubbish and HR wont help you at all if you have any problems. only good part to that job is meeting some great customers. Southends home bargains is the worst one to work for by far.
Cons
long hours, bad pay, you have to fill every job role avalible, horrible treatment, horrible management
great company
Till Operator (Former Employee) –  Redditch2 January 2018
was always a good day to work there as always meeting new people each day learning about how people talk and what they appreciate management were lovely
Pros
great work hours
A good first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville2 January 2018
There was always more hours to pick up other than ones contracted. As my first job it was a brilliant place to start. The environment is mostly very laid back. The hardest part of this job was keeping the shop front looking tidy and making sure the shelves were full due to the shop being quite popular. The most enjoyable part of this job was being surrounded with colleagues who were really easy to work alongside and being able to get help from other shop floor assistants.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Lead sales were quite biased
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Heanor28 December 2017
Stacking and cleaning shelves and till operative.
I learnt how to deliver effective customer service and worked well alongside management.
The hardest part of the job was delivering a job to the best of my ability whilst given a specific time.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with customers and helping customers to the best of my ability.
A fun environment
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk28 December 2017
Home bargains is a friendly and fun place of Work. Managers always know how to help in order to get the job done. I learnt how to work under pressure when dealing with different customers and helping them to the best of my ability.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No guaranteed shifts

Want to know more about Home Bargains?

Ask a question
shelf filling
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester28 December 2017
typical day was arriving at work at 7am getting into the store room have the talk in the morning then jump straight into it
everyone there is friendly so it was easy getting along with everyone
Pros
discounts
Hit and miss
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wellingborough27 December 2017
Only really suitable for those wanting p/t work such as a student or a mum wanting school hours as contracts were only between 4-20 hours a week. In my store, some of the managers were alright, others were awful. Wouldn't recommended building a career here as you'll be doing the work of 3 people due to lack of staff most of the time.
Best for students
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newton Mearns, East Renfrewshire27 December 2017
I started working there at 16 so I only got paid £4.55 which was great at the time for my first job whilst at school. It was fun and casual for all staff and even store managers. The company itself is way too strict and controlling trying to be more serious than it is and the whole clocking in 10 minutes before your shift was cause for issues. Great part-time job for students or elder people.
Pros
Short shifts, simple tasks
Cons
Company was over controlling
Store assistant Ellesmere port Westminster
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire23 December 2017
Rubbish company to work for,if your face doesn't fit forget it,, I needed to take a second job because 16 hours wasn't enough, HB told me that they couldn't guarantee me a late start even though they needed people to work late, other staff members were allowed to have shifts to suit them, I'm glad I'm out of that place
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Horrible management
expect too much
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Merseyside19 December 2017
very much a company that gives opportunities to people that say the right things, rather than the hard workers. long hours (min. 44 a week) no overtime pay for salaried management.
Pros
job security
Cons
long hours, poor salary
Terrible inept Management
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carrickfergus18 December 2017
The best workers don't get treated well but if you are willing to out drinking with the managers that's how you get preferential treatment.
I worked everyday for two weeks straight covering for everything, then when I asked for a day to be changed I got shouted at and told things like that don't just happen.
Can be fun but not a great work life balance
Lead Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall16 December 2017
Long hours and always changing hours are hard to work your life around but for a first job it's great. I set up a store so it was all a bit of chaos to begin with.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Nice staff to talk too , along with good working hours
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Liverpool15 December 2017
Due to starting sixth form I struggled balancing work along with school hence why I started assisting in teaching as I am staying in the same environment , finish at normal school hours and enjoy the environment.
A good enough first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  England15 December 2017
This was my first job since being a school leaver and while the company don't adhere to legal break times/shift hours, the management is very good and staff are very friendly. Pay is slightly poor for the work but there is a good concept of teamwork which makes it an enjoyable place to work
Pros
Good management
Cons
Not flexible with working hours, low pay
Used to be good, now management appauling
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands15 December 2017
Symptomatic of the way British Industry has gone since we joined the EU.
Lower wages, longer hours, incompetent management and poorer conditions.
No wonder they let immigrants flood into the country like they do …. they are the only ones desperate enough to put up with this pantomime.
Offer a decent wage, decent hours, decent managers and good health and safety working conditions like we had 30 years ago, and true British people would work hard for these companies.
Offering cleaners £5.06p/hr …. Jeez, isn't that illegal? ….I thought the minimum wage was £7-50p?
Pros
The tea breaks if you get one
Cons
Management, wages, working hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.