Home Bargains Employee Reviews

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunfermline, Fife26 January 2018
Home bargains is a good place to work and all the staff are so kind and amazing to work with. Would definitely recommend working here to anyone who is looking for their first taste of work
Pros
Help is provided if needed
Cons
Always on the same aisle
bad managerment, little care for employees
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire25 January 2018
easy work which varies, treated with little respect, with certain shifts you never know when you finish; may say 12 on rota but ends up being way later,
Cons
bad management, get mad at you when you no longer do overtime, hard to have a life outside of work.
Good as a first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall24 January 2018
I worked at Home Bargains for about 9 months. In that time I performed many of the different job roles within the store. I started off on the shop floor carrying out various tasks such as moving displays and putting out and tidying stock.

In terms of training, the other new starters and I were taken onto the shop floor and stood in front of a shelf while a manager pointed at things and explained everything verbally. Then we were set loose into the store with no further instruction to fend for ourselves.

I did a few fill shifts, which I and other employees found challenging as managers expected you to put out all of a box of stock - even if it wouldn't really fit - you were expected to "make room" but also make it look tidy which was often easier said than done.

Tills were pretty straight-forward, though the system they use is old and if you made an error you had to call a manager down to fix it which could take anything from a few seconds to several minutes, resulting in you often having to deal with irate customers who are angry at you despite it not really being your fault.

I ended up permanently on Aisle 1 - the first aisle that customers walk down when they enter the store. On this shift, responsibilities included putting out stock (usually 2-3 cages of small fiddly bottles etc which takes ages no matter what the managers tell you), remaining vigilant for shoplifters, maintaining stock levels of logs, compost etc piled up outside the store and watering whatever plants they have on sale ALL AT THE SAME TIME. It's stressful and unrealistic expectations were
  more... put on me in regards to how long it should take to get all your cages finished. Often you would turn up in the morning to most of yesterday's stock to put out before that day's delivery even arrives. Going on break on 1st Aisle was also no mean feat as you would have to try and signal to someone to come and cover you as you aren't supposed to leave the aisle unattended!

Management at Home Bargains varied in quality. If they liked you then all good, but if your face didn't fit then... yeah. One of my best friends was actually on the management team which was a real help, however I and a lot of others were treated unfairly by several of the people higher up than us. I got lucky with my hours most of the time, rotas were fairly flexible though did change often and sometimes without us being informed.
Pros
10% discount, flexible hours
Cons
Low pay, biased management
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim24 January 2018
Home bargains is a good place to work. Temporarily would not recommend it for a long time. Although it is a fun environment to work in with lots of nice friendly staff.
awful place to work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingsteignton, Devon24 January 2018
never agree to work at home bargins!
the management is a joke, its run by stupid people who dont care about their employees.
getting very small breaks and treated badly.
Ideal for students
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Romford, Greater London23 January 2018
Ideal for students/young people looking for part time hours (20hours or less), not really suited for full-time employment. Staff/management vary on friendliness depending on store location.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Very pressured
Very hectic work place
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire23 January 2018
A very hectic workplace which had uneven effort given out by other employees causing other employees not getting as much praise as the ones who are favoratised. Not a lot of team work was created to help each other out in the busy store, overall I think it was poorly managed.
Pros
Discount off items in store
Cons
not enough employees to deal with health and safety people for shifts.
N/a
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex22 January 2018
N/A nothing to add. this job was as expected and didn't surprise me. it had its good shifts and its bad like any other job in that industry. i will not downgrade a company
Good workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Prescot22 January 2018
It was easy to get along with people in home bargain s as everyone was so friendly so the shifts were good because of this they flew by so I liked working there.
Pros
Discounts
Home Bargain
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool21 January 2018
The members of staff are great, you get along with everyone and they make work more fun. The job itself isn't bad however one of the Home Bargain in Liverpool is awful, the way you get treated is an absolute joke, the managers are meant to lead by example but they don't even know their job. Would never work in the same store again and probably for the company.
Cons
Managers, breaks, hours.
Floor assistant
Shop floor assistant (Former Employee) –  Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire21 January 2018
I worked for home bargins before my current job and they are a good company to work for only thing was not enough hours, duties include filling shelfs till operating keeping store clean and tidy
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Enjoyed the job but only part time
Customer Service Advisors (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire20 January 2018
I enjoyed this job but only part time
Enjoyed the work customers people you meet but the only fault were lack of hours
Good discounted store and was busy
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough hours
only one downside
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke17 January 2018
the only real downside that i can think of for home bargains, other than the hours dragging on very long, is that the salary is considerably low for the amount of hours that you're given
Pros
good environment
Cons
salary
Home bargain
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colwyn Bay, Conwy16 January 2018
Poor place to work, the management do not work with the staff when it comes to issues in life, work hours are poor slot of split shifts with at least 2 hour between shifts and the company does not look after their staff.
Good to work for
Cleaner, fill shift. (Current Employee) –  Hayle, Cornwall15 January 2018
I helped set the store up in Hayle Cornwall and still working there now, also got my wife a job with them, very family oriented. Pay is above minimum wage and very open to rota changes.
Pros
Good to work for
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire14 January 2018
It keeps you on your toes, there is a lot to do in the day to day routine, as well as helping the customers out you have to make sure the store is tidy and clean.
Pros
Shorter days
Cons
Not long enough breaks
Fun atmosphere
Manager (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester14 January 2018
I enjoyed my time as manager. It something I always wanted to do an this company gave me the opportunity.
Whilst training for the position of manager I got to work all over the country an work in many of different stores the company owned therefore opening up my costumer service skills and the ability to adapt to new workplace and people in a short amount if time.
Pros
Above minium pay pension 5 weeks paid holiday a year
Cons
Long hours. Stock takes no praise for hitting targets
Home Bargains is a good place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chadderton, Greater Manchester11 January 2018
Home Bargains is a good place to work and the management staff at the store in which I work are very friendly and good to work alongside they help create a nice and funny working environment. however the only complaint I can have about home bargains is that the salary and the hours in which people work are poor workers are definitely not paid what they should earn.
Cons
Short hours, pay isn't very good
Very busy and rude customers
Sale Advisor (Former Employee) –  London10 January 2018
I had to work most of the time at the tills, because of the long queues and I was one of the quicker on the tills.Customers were rude most of the times because of the waiting time on the till, but when you work faster they was okay.
Pros
Better payment than superdurg
Cons
long hours of working
Terrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Essex8 January 2018
If you want to be treated like an absolute mug, then you should work here! The store I worked in had an awful store manager who was almost robotic. She didn’t take anyone’s feelings into consideration and the whole team hated her, even the other managers.

In terms of rotas, I guess some people may be lucky and get good shifts but if you’re a college student like I am, you’ll be put on long weekend hours so you’ll have no real time to get much college work done if the weekend is when you do things like that. It also impacts your personal life. I was barely at home, especially when it came to the summer holidays.

All round, I couldn’t spend a long time here just because of how the treatment was. There were some good managers and sales assistants so it wasn’t all doom and gloom however that was the only good thing about it.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.