Home Bargains Employee Reviews

Could've been so good.
Lead Sales (Former Employee) –  Haverhill27 October 2017
Really great company for those who want to progress. Management were good and you were treated well however they really ought to be more honest about the hours you are expected to work. This was my reason for leaving.
Hard, physical work in the main but was usually balanced out by a stint on the tills.
Pros
Staff discount, friendly staff and managers
Cons
Long hours.
good team work
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Leeds23 October 2017
good team work within the staff
fast paced
if you have a love for working with the public this job is for you but be prepared to work your boots off
Pros
discount for staff
Cons
some of the management can be offish
Calm
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds22 October 2017
It is as expected just like any other shops, stacking and stocking products properly. It is not hard work but it is not fun either, get the job done and that's it.
Pros
Simple
Cons
n/a
Productive working place allows you too express yourself.
Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside19 October 2017
Home bargains is a family run business, they have a well intergrated working environment which allows your to be yourself and have fun, They're expectations can be quite demanding conserdering the pay, overall great company.
Pros
Family run business, owners take care and show affection for their workers i.e. Free Christmas party and family fun days.
Cons
Long hours, payment scheme, don't get paid for overtime if your salary.
Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire18 October 2017
A normal day at work was either filling stock or working on tills. Management were very easy to get along with, always nice to staff. Staff were also very friendly.
Okay-ish if you cant get any other work
Shop floor/Till operator (Former Employee) –  Whitstable18 October 2017
Typical day if on fill shift would involve opening boxes and putting products on said category of shelves and assisting customers with finding what they need. If on tills it would be literally what you do on tills. I didn't learn much as it was a basic retail job apart from improving my customer service. Unfortunately the hours are low, and the pay is lower, with very little room for advancing in the business. Short lunch breaks too. Luckily I was able to shift my hours from weekend to weekday which is uncommon but unable to increase hours. With management, they will scrutinise you on every little fault you make which can swiftly result in unemployment. The employees who work there are very friendly and understanding. It is a fairly easy job but it is not a great option if you are trying to advance in retail or management.
Cons
Short hours, short lunch breaks, very low pay, management not great
Not much variety in shifts
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside18 October 2017
The job is ok, but there's not much variety in the shifts that you do. You get stuck doing the same jobs day in, day out. It gets really boring. Staff are really friendly but management can be moody when they want.
Pros
Good pay, friendly staff
Cons
No variety in shifts, ignorant management.
fun workplace
rebuild (Former Employee) –  Clacton-on-Sea, Essex18 October 2017
very good company to work for learned loads of different things which gave me confidence to try new things on my own .I struggled a little bit with the hours because we could only do 20 hours a week .the dissadvantage of working for this company was if we done overtime we were only paided the hourly rate
Pros
overtime
Cons
set hours
Fun work environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire16 October 2017
The people who work for home Bargains are great, but the managers are hit and miss. Either fantastic or not inspiring or desirable at all, each shop is different of course. The benefits from the company aren't the best but more than some other companies offer.
Pros
Fun work mates
Cons
Bad managers, daft hours
fun place to work and everyone is friendly but minimum wage and you have to work long hours to make a decent salary
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lochee16 October 2017
ok place to work if you are only looking for part time hours with minimum wage and you dont mind losing out on holidays,having to work long hours and like being constantly demeaned by management!
Pros
Cons
long hours, minimum wage, no set holidays and a job for the boys culture.
Starting in the morning
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, BM16 October 2017
You find witch till you are on you check tomake sure your till is correctwith the right float. When you are quiteyou help fill the shelves with products for sale and make sure your place is kept clean and tidy at all times.
Think twice before applying.!!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Midlands14 October 2017
Job is very demanding and will drive you into the ground. There is no job satisfaction,never any praise given for the work you do. Long long hours with little reward and no extra holiday is acruded when working over hours each week. Area mangers do not care for you as a manger and will jump on your back if anything goes wrong. Only two positive factors of home Bargains is the training programme and weekly pay that is all. Bonus system never achievable and pulled further away. Be careful guys it’s not the place to be a lot more better retailers out there.
Pros
Weekly pay and training course.
Cons
Long long hours. Run you into ground.!!
Manegers talk to you like yiur animals
Fill (Former Employee) –  Wrexham, Wrexham13 October 2017
Such a awful place to work. Would rather be on the dole. Over worked and paid pennies. Even area managers speak to to like trash If you don't was lick the managers back side you get treated awful worse place I have ever worked
Pros
Cons
Getting the job their do not apply
Easy going
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aldridge13 October 2017
The company, staff and management are all friendly people and I enjoy interacting with those that work in my store, as long as you get your job done everyone is happy.
Productive Workplace
SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, South Lanarkshire10 October 2017
I enjoy working here it is a very good company but I am looking to move onto full time work which this company cannot offer me. I have worked here for over 5 years and it is only unfortunate about the hours available otherwise I would remain in this position.
Pros
Friendly Staff and management
Cons
No full-time jobs available
Great Summer job
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chadwell Heath, Greater London9 October 2017
Working as a part time sales assistant for Home Bargains is a great job to earn some money for the summer and a great way to gain experience in retail
easy work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tunstall, Staffordshire9 October 2017
A typical day at work of this is easy, I haven't been working in here in at least two years so I wouldn't know anything else as its been a long time since I worked there
very productive
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ripon, North Yorkshire9 October 2017
It was abit repetitive but all in all it was fun just felt like I needed a career change but I made some good friends and had a good time there bit after a year it was time to move on.
Pros
short shifts
Cons
not enough hours
horrible and unhelpful company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich7 October 2017
i was spoken to like i was an idiot, the typical day at work was running around like a headless chicken and not getting the breaks you are entitiled to.
the management team wouldnt care if you were ill and being sick whilst at work youd still have to do your shift. youd have to stay longer than you should without no question or no noice. they didnt work around you, such as college/exams/school. the hardest part of the job was getting up early and finishing at late time and doing double shifts (without getting asked if you were comftable with it).
overall its the worst job ive ever had.
Pros
Cons
everything
hard work for rubbish pay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucester6 October 2017
the management at the store I worked in personally were rude and the pay for me didn't seem worth it for the work I was accomplishing. Fast paced work.
Pros
can buy food from shop floor on break
Cons
management arent always respectful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8