Home Bargains Employee Reviews

Okay place to work
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands21 August 2018
Day to day replenishing shelfs is major part of working at Home Bargains while operating the tills and talking to customers. The management team overall are useful when trying to get stock out.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Unpaid lunch, management strict a lot of the time, repeative work
Fun happy joyfull
any job (Former Employee) –  Liverpool19 August 2018
I think home bargains is a great supermarket I go with my mum all the time I love it I want to work there because the stuff look kind and caring I wanna work there but I don't have an experience
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Part time
Friend workforce
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glenrothes, Fife18 August 2018
Although this job does not challenge me to the level I am currently looking for, the work I do can be enjoyable. Majority of the team that I work with throughout my shifts are very pleasant and very friendly. This makes the environment much more enjoyable and relaxed, being able to have a laugh and chat with my work colleagues makes the shift pass quicker.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Not challenging
enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belfast17 August 2018
usually loads of members of staff so enjoyable and nice being able to work with people you like as a big team. bad pay for what is required of you and mediocre management.
Pros
10% discount
Fab staff and management
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, Merseyside15 August 2018
After working 2 years at H&B I came across these reviews, and I’m quite shocked by the negative comments I have read. In our shop there is certainly no problem with management, the store is run extremely well, all management are fair and appreciative of a job well done by staff, all the comments I have read about management treating staff badly and abusive are certainly not what I have experienced in our shop. Our manager and lead sales are all friendly, and treat you with respect, it’s a fantastic place to work
Love retail, but not here
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prenton13 August 2018
Ok, I'm being honest, 3 stars is too nice.

Typical day at work is usual in any store.

Management never listened and the staff were so ignorant and rude and I did not feel part of the team whatsoever.
They all knew eachother and were friends but I felt so pushed away when I tried to talk to any of them.

I didn't work there long, two months. But these are my list of problems..

*They told me my shift would be 5-10
-ok, i had a 6 month old son so telling me these hours were essential for my babysitter. I wouldn't finish work until 12 (because of how slow the replenishing of stock was) sometimes just before and it really annoyed them as they were up so late and I wouldn't get to them until approx 12.45/1am.

*No hours
I was promised hours in my contract, this job was my only way of any income. I checked the rota to see I wasn't on it for two weeks, I informed the manager who said they would fix this. Three shifts later and three more times of mentioning, I wasn't on the rota still. I couldn't afford to be doing this and this was my reason for leaving.

*Staff
The staff never listened or helped when I needed it. I was new, it was a new place and I needed to know what I was doing, rather than standing around like an idiot, but they all seemed to dismiss me.
Pros
money
Cons
everything else
Team Building and Safe
Floor Staff (Current Employee) –  Pontefract, West Yorkshire10 August 2018
Home Bargains offered me a job with security with my co-workers; it taught me how to approach customers whilst handle myself and a cashier. I would do jobs ranging from working the tills, to stocking or arranging shelves whilst helping and assisting customers curiosities and needs throughout my day. The management may have sometimes not been as responsive as desired however that is due to the store being incredibly busy almost all the time therefore I understand how complicated and busy the management may be. The atmosphere at Home Bargains is electric; the staff are almost as eager to get to the store as the customers are as we all enjoy working and having a comedic shift. The hardest part of the job would have to be if any customer may have not been satisfied with their trip to the store as I have been unable to assist them as much as they needed. The best part of the job however would definitely have to be the relationships made with my co-workers as I always feel comfortable to talk to them if required.
Pros
Discounts, Friendly Staff, Flexible hours
Cons
Sometimes unorganized, Unable to get amount of hours required
hard and fast paced
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Llandudno10 August 2018
a typical day would consist of some till work serving customers, and rebuilding the store to optimise sales.

i have learned how to profile bays for new and/or existing products
the management team are young and have exciting ideas

company pride is customer service however more can be done to improve
the hardest part of the job is the different shift patterns.

the most enjoyable part is rebuilding.
Pros
10% discount, free family days out, staff christmas party
Cons
varied shifts
great workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Accrington, Lancashire7 August 2018
great workplace and I am grateful to have tried something new other than hairdressing. I really enjoyed helping and assisting customers and my other colleagues
The work would be okay, if not for the management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln6 August 2018
Whilst at University I applied for an 8 hour contract that quickly turned into a 30 hour week, which was impossible to manage with my schedule. Bad management with power complexes.
Pros
Poor Management is likely store specific
Cons
Bad management, Flexible contract (for them, not you)
Very fast paced
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sittingbourne4 August 2018
I have only been there 2 months and i have had to give it up because i felt it was always too quick for me. I i feel that the management is poor and they want you to get all your cages out even if the shop looks messy, i felt one of the assistant managers was rude and when i was asking for help they was sarcastic. I wouldn't advise anyone to work here.
Pros
Extra hours if on fill shift.
Cons
Only 10% discount in the store you work.
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullompton1 August 2018
Good experience. Plenty of new skills. Helpful colleagues and management, lot of diversity in my job role which I really enjoyed. Good place to learn some different skills.
Good part time first job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury30 July 2018
I have enjoyed my time at Home Bargains as it is an easy job where you can interact with a lot of people and pick up a lot of people and business skills along the way. While some days can be stressful overall its not so bad. The rates of pay are very unfair in terms of age discrimination but they do pay above minimum wage. Hours are very flexible as there are lots of different shifts. Whether or not you would enjoy this job depends a lot upon whether or not there is a good management team in place. This is a labour intensive job and sometimes a lot can be asked of you without any sort of gratitude or thanks given which can be very demotivating, however that is heavily dependent on the management and so subjective to each store.
Pros
Lots of flexibility in terms of hours, people interaction.
Cons
pay is unfair and if you have a problem very little if anything will ever be done about it.
absolutely terrible company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Goole29 July 2018
you need to hope that management actually like you, if they dont then they will do anything they can to get rid of you, your contracted hours can be up to 22 hours but myself and other co-workers at the time were easily doing 40+ hours and we didnt even get paid for all of them, we ended up having to call into HR to get the money we worked for.
Pros
Cons
long hours, poor management
Friendly, busy company
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh28 July 2018
Working here can be very busy and demanding as there are often strict deadlines to meet. However, this brings everyone together to work as a team and forces you to step your game up.

Managers are very friendly and approachable. This is a great company to work up the ladder of as the company is quickly growing and evolving. However, like all stores, there could often be a lack of communication between team leaders.

There are plenty of team members to train you and make work more efficient for you. However, staff was sometimes scarce due to the high student employment in the store and part-time members. This company is very flexible and great for students or people who want part-time roles.
Pros
Flexible; fast growing company
Cons
Demanding/pressured
Rude management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire24 July 2018
Staff and management are rude and untrained, wages are not competitive with rival business's, mandatory law enforced breaks are not always given, clock in/ clock out machine pays you every 15 minutes meaning if you clocked out at 6:14 you would only be paid till 6:00
good place to work
Lead Sales (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford23 July 2018
enjoyed working here, great staff, good atmosphere, made a lot of good friends there. Could be hard at times but the support gut me through. Only left because i was offered a full time position
Fast paced
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland18 July 2018
The job itself is somewhat different to regular and some of the procedures do go back a few years however the structure they currently have is working and growing.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
poor work/home life balance
Great team of staff
Lead Sales (Current Employee) –  Skegness16 July 2018
Love the job I'm in lead sales is a great place to be. I love all roles of lead sales. Managing my very own small team is great but would like more of a challenge when it comes to other no arts of the job.
productive
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire16 July 2018
the day was filled with different customers whch made it fun and interesting
management let me down though.
the hardest part of the job was keeping the shelves tidy but this comes with the job
Pros
in a local area
Cons
no help when needed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.