Home Bargains Employee Reviews

Poor Management/ Communication
Lead Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gloucestershire29 April 2018
currently work as a lead sales assistant.
role is great as you do learn a lot. however the senior management aren't the best. they treat you like nothing some days and the next their friend! They are constantly nagging at you to get certain jobs done in a 4 hour shift. (sometimes this isn't possible).
The way that some rules are for one of the management and different for others.
We don't all get treated equally. This needs to be addressed.
It's all about the management structure rather than the company itself
Lead Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Morecambe, Lancashire29 April 2018
You can progressively move forward to management using this company. A great first place to start. Management are happy to help and staff are more than willing to put in the work.
Pros
Holiday pay, Good company to work for.
Staff nothappy
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Langley Mill28 April 2018
started work on tills prepared them cleaned them counted float in till to make sure it corresponded with the office then began work i was also on the microphone asking for other team members also management. Most people when asked where not happy there at the end of your 4hr shift you would count your till and go home.
Pros
20% Discount
Cons
Unhappy colleagues and Customers
Standard
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Essex27 April 2018
Not great management. Randomly changed my job role. Very fussy about covering shifts. Good for a start job. Tiring and Stressful. Good employees to work along with.
Pros
10% off
Poor management
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands25 April 2018
Management don’t appreciate staffs hard work and always find something to complain about. Other than that it’s not a bad job. Staff are friendly. If your on a close you Sometimes have to stay longer than your finish time.
Pros
10% discount, friendly staff, overtime, pay isn’t too bad
Cons
Poor management
Happy and fun enviroment
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway19 April 2018
Everyone was kind and helped me anyway they could and supported me when was struggling and I feel like I would be happy to work in such an environment
Pros
Discount
fun and busy workplace
Assistant General Manager Home Bargains (Current Employee) –  Poole, Dorset19 April 2018
Busy fast paced business,efficient and flexible.
great products and good benefits
very physical with delivery cages etc but all in all a good place to work
Pros
10% staff discount lots to buy
Cons
can be long hours ans very physical on your feet all day
Poor Management
Store Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton18 April 2018
Staff were not disciplined by management
Store Manager was very biased, she treated staff unfairly
staff were friendly, including certain members of management
management were stupidly informed of when head office staff were visiting, resulting in an extreme tidy of the shop to impress, instead of them seeing how the shop was really run.
Brilliant place to work!
Sales Assisstant (Current Employee) –  Middlesbrough12 April 2018
Lovely store, fantastic managers and decent pay.

Good first job, great hours as I was able to work around college hours.

Didn't like being on the tills when there were hardly any customers in the shop but that's no fault of the company.

Overall a great place to work.
Pros
shifts work around college/uni hours
Awful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Bay, Cardiff8 April 2018
it was an OK place to work the management didn't treat there workers fairly and had there favourites and didn't care about the other members of staff not good.
Pros
Some nice staff
Cons
Unfair hours. Horrible managment
A fun and productive workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London6 April 2018
Home Bargains is a great retail store to work at, the staff were extremely kind and helped me through whatever task I was given. I enjoyed working here and gained a lot of experience out of it, the hours were flexible too.
Good place to gain new skills
Retail/Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall5 April 2018
A typical day at Home Bargain, as a store assistant is very challenging and rewarding. I learned how to deal with all sorts of customers in a professional manner. The management was very supportive and understanding. The workplace culture was mixed which I really liked because I got to meet different sorts of cultures. The hardest part of the job would be to work in a cold environment but then I did get use to it. The part of my job which I really enjoyed was meeting and helping new and existing customers.
incompetent management.
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Leeds4 April 2018
loved the staff i worked with. a great team. unfortunately management do not have a clue on how to run the place. you get notice of improvements daily but if you ring in sick nothing gets said! you can take holidays but management dont know how to book them so you lose money. stock takes are a joke. you have to work your shift and then start stock take and you cannot leave until its complete (1am or after) and still have to be in the following day for your next shift. plus you have to make your own way home after! i would not work for this company again. ever.
Fun work place
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Harlow4 April 2018
Really good job had to work hard and everyone was polite and works well in a team everyone got on and there was never any trouble the management wasn’t too good but it was fine
Okay place to work
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire4 April 2018
Job very secure not long hours 4 hour shifts mainly maximum of 20 hour contracts becomes very boring after a while not really any way of progressing cant make a living through the company unless you are supervisor assistant manager or manager of the store
Pros
secure job
Cons
not enough hours
Run away
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Banbridge, County Down3 April 2018
I would not recommended home bargains it is a poorly run company that gives little to no training to the management therefore they lack what managers should be like for example most of them are not very helpful and think they above manual labour and they also treat the staff like they have never work a day in there lives there is no respect and it can be very stressful do to not having more staff on when its needed and being made to work a shift without being asked or notified of it the amount of staff that leave in a small about of time says it all oh and don't think that the area managers are any help all they do is come in and tell you everything you did wrong

This company needs some real help they are clueless
Pros
Making new friends and discount
Cons
Everything else
Good pay for work, bad managment
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire27 March 2018
the pay for the work that you do is good, the work is not too hard for what is required, stores are set up neatly so will be able to find where stock belongs easily. However I was under 18 and legally entitled to 30 minute breaks yet was never given another con is if on fill shift you might not known when finish, they aim to finish at 1pm when start at 9am but most days i was finishing around 3pm
Pros
hours, pay for work
Cons
management, don't know when finish
Terrible Place To Work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire26 March 2018
Belittling management, bullying staff, dangerous environment (lack of health and safety). No over time, bad pay. Childish behavior from staff and management
Pros
If you haven't killed your self by the end of the day then you've lived to fight another day
Cons
Working there
Productive Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wednesfield, West Midlands25 March 2018
This kind of job will definitely keep you on your feet! Fun, fast paced and active! It's definitely a decent job for someone who had other priorities. Someone who maybe had kids and can only work within certain time frames, be that days or hours! I enjoyed my time there but the wage was just not enough and the working hours always varied between 8 and 40! I enjoyed interacting with the customers whilst working on the tills as you get to know people over time and how they become regular customers as well as knowing they enjoy the service you provide for them! Always a confidence booster knowing your customers leaving the store happier than arriving.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Varied hours
worse places out there
Customer/Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kilmarnock24 March 2018
I worked there for a few months I generally enjoyed it good banter with staff and customers you worked at a fast pace which made time fly management were nice
Pros
nice clean shop, good banter, good facilities, staff discount
Cons
not long enough hours basic 16 hours, don't earn enough unless you have another job or a student.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.