Home Bargains Employee Reviews

Horrendous place to work!
Jack of all trades (Former Employee) –  Chesser edinburgh7 December 2017
Awful place to work. You have a 20 year old manager treating you like rubbish. He has no experience in life! Wouldn't recommend working in this store!
Pros
None really
Cons
None really
Good at first...
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff6 December 2017
I’ve worked there just over a month at the new store down Cardiff Bay. I am 18 and the hours are nice and flexible! However, I’m on an 8 hour contract and I do long 9 hour shifts, finishing at 9pm, sometimes 10 if they don’t let you go on time! This is hard because I love a 40 minute bus journey away and I’m now behind in University coz I’ve had no time to complete assignments to my full potential. I’ve heard managers talking behind others back, refuse to give people their contracted hours, and give someone under 18 over a 10 hour shift. The work is fun and easy going, but the long hours make it repetitive and tiring. I now end up coming home feeling exhausted and miserable because I’m doing long hours for rubbish pay! £6.43 an hour is not good for the kind of work you have to do.
Pros
Discount, nice people, new opportunities for students
Cons
Discount only in YOUR store, poor management, long hours, poor pay
Colleagues are fine but managers cause problems and you get no social life
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thurrock6 December 2017
I was on tills constantly and never got to be on the shop floor and I felt I wasn't learning anything. The other store assistants were fine but the managers weren't at all. I found it hard to have a social life you wouldn't know what days you're doing the next week till Friday so I could never make plans. You'd get TOLD you're staying extra hours instead of asking and if you already got plans the manager tells you to cancel no matter what it is. I worked from 8am till 6pm and only got 30 min break I was told earlier in the day by a manager that I can leave at 6 but when it got to 6 the same manager told me to stay and put away and tidy! I would only recommend this sort of job to school leavers, I wouldn't go for this as a career choice.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Poor management
Worst company
Lead Sales (Current Employee) –  Truro5 December 2017
Worst company I have worked for. No proper training no help from management. Working hours are not what is stated on rota. When I started all employees telling me to get out I thought they was joking but learnt the hard way!! Stay clear!!
Pros
Contract hours
Cons
Management, no training
Productive place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harwich, Essex30 November 2017
Being apart of home bargains for a small amount of time has been able to have an impact on me and has helped me gain more confidence as I’m not a very confident when it comes to meeting new people. But I’m a polite member of staff when it comes to customers! And it has also helped me learn what working in a local store is really about.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and bery organisex establishment.
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Llanelli29 November 2017
Enjoyed working for the company. Very organised and happy place to work. Staff and team friendly and helpful. The store is very clean and very accessible to every customer.
No team work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  unknown29 November 2017
If you apply with Home Bargains, beware that there is no team work. The company does not work to planograms so you are constantly making space and moving stock around to fit new stock in every day off delivery
Love my job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester28 November 2017
Fun work place flexibility good with my work home life I enjoy meeting new people and my job allows me to interact with a wide range of people I enjoy seeing regular customers helping people with their needs
Good
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Haverhill, Suffolk26 November 2017
Good work place but repetitive work.
Serving customers, filling shelves and keeping store tidy.
Good team work and excellent management team who are very supportive and encouraging
3 stars overall
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire24 November 2017
Loved working at home bargains, easy to get to know the role of your job and easy to get to know your colleagues in that environment. Had a really great experience.
Pros
Well mannered colleagues and loads of over time
Cons
Short breaks

Want to know more about Home Bargains?

Ask a question
Friendly with great people
Warehouse Administrator (Former Employee) –  Amesbury, Wiltshire24 November 2017
I loved working at Home Bargains as a warehouse administrator.
Everyone was really friendly and management was great. I enjoyed my time hear and was sad to leave.
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester22 November 2017
A good place to work and a good stepping stone for school and college leavers. been with this company for most of my life. I would recommend working here if you are searching new experience or a change in work.
Not to bad.
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Suffolk21 November 2017
This is my first job in retail and it has helped me learn a lot. I am comfortable now talking to people and using a till which at first i was really scared about using it. The contracts aren't great all part time unless you are in a red uniform which is management. Most of The management team have been great. Other than one who treats people like dirt and thinks shes better than everyone. But at every job theirs people like her. You do the same thing everyday. Which does get boring. Typical day would be filling shelves with stock, jumping on the till when the store is busy and ticket walking at the end of your shift. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people everyday and gaining a relationship with the customers. They are really tight on uniform though, I had 2 tops but now only one as its completely ruined and I've asked enough times for a new one and nothing ever happens. Overall its not a bad job for students or single parents.
Pros
10% Discount.
Cons
Contracts, Tight with uniform
Oksy place to work.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portadown, County Armagh21 November 2017
Okay place to work.Some opportunities to advance but lower management positions are poorly paid.Only useful if you want to move up the ladder internally.
Pros
Free Christmas dinner.
Cons
No flexibility regarding shift changes.
Alright when people pull their weight
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands21 November 2017
Management spends most the time talking to other members of staff or on their mobile phones, Its a bit do as I say not as I do. It lacks decisive management things only get done correctly when there is a visit due from higher management. Favouritism seems to be key for good hours which creates a very unfair place to work.
Pros
It is busy so the day goes quickly
Cons
20 hrs contracts so only 20 hrs holiday pay when working 39hrs wkly
friendly staff
Store Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Rushden20 November 2017
I quite enjoy my job the staff make it bearable as they can have a joke whilst getting on with the job as well. my only problem is the managers are very demanding as they expect us to get a lot done and were short staffed. we get out about 1000 boxes per shift but they say that is not enough
Pros
on a full shift you get a half hour break
Cons
some of the boxes are quite heavy which causes me to get tired easily.
Excellent for opportunities
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool19 November 2017
This company is amazing for anyone looking for a new challenge as there is always room for higher opportunities within the company. Really good pay and have learned a lot of skills from working here.
Pros
Opportunities to go higher
Cons
Some managers are awful to work for
Busy job, i was never left standing doing nothing
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corby18 November 2017
Home bargains was a fast moving and busy environment to work in. I always had something to work on and this job im proved my customer servise skills greatly. The management were strict but cared about the wellbeing of their staff
Pros
Multiple short breaks throughout the day
Cons
A great place to develop skills.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harlow, Essex16 November 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Home Bargains as it allowed me to explore and develop skills I wasn't too confident with before. The job is very emotionally and physically demanding and can be very stressful at times. It definitely keeps me on my toes and there's never a moment where you're standing still, I would recommend this job to anyone prepared for the physical demands and long hours.
Pros
Friendly staff and 10% discount
Cons
Long hours and short breaks
Fun and fast paced place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  stevenage13 November 2017
I really enjoyed my years at home bargains, the management were fun and fair and the team were great to work with.There was a wide variety in what you could do there from shelf filling to working the tills.
Pros
great team spirit
Cons
pay a little on the basic side

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8