Home Bargains Employee Reviews

Store assistant Ellesmere port Westminster
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire23 December 2017
Rubbish company to work for,if your face doesn't fit forget it,, I needed to take a second job because 16 hours wasn't enough, HB told me that they couldn't guarantee me a late start even though they needed people to work late, other staff members were allowed to have shifts to suit them, I'm glad I'm out of that place
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Horrible management
expect too much
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Merseyside19 December 2017
very much a company that gives opportunities to people that say the right things, rather than the hard workers. long hours (min. 44 a week) no overtime pay for salaried management.
Pros
job security
Cons
long hours, poor salary
Terrible inept Management
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carrickfergus18 December 2017
The best workers don't get treated well but if you are willing to out drinking with the managers that's how you get preferential treatment.
I worked everyday for two weeks straight covering for everything, then when I asked for a day to be changed I got shouted at and told things like that don't just happen.
Can be fun but not a great work life balance
Lead Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall16 December 2017
Long hours and always changing hours are hard to work your life around but for a first job it's great. I set up a store so it was all a bit of chaos to begin with.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Nice staff to talk too , along with good working hours
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Liverpool15 December 2017
Due to starting sixth form I struggled balancing work along with school hence why I started assisting in teaching as I am staying in the same environment , finish at normal school hours and enjoy the environment.
A good enough first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  England15 December 2017
This was my first job since being a school leaver and while the company don't adhere to legal break times/shift hours, the management is very good and staff are very friendly. Pay is slightly poor for the work but there is a good concept of teamwork which makes it an enjoyable place to work
Pros
Good management
Cons
Not flexible with working hours, low pay
Used to be good, now management appauling
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands15 December 2017
Symptomatic of the way British Industry has gone since we joined the EU.
Lower wages, longer hours, incompetent management and poorer conditions.
No wonder they let immigrants flood into the country like they do …. they are the only ones desperate enough to put up with this pantomime.
Offer a decent wage, decent hours, decent managers and good health and safety working conditions like we had 30 years ago, and true British people would work hard for these companies.
Offering cleaners £5.06p/hr …. Jeez, isn't that illegal? ….I thought the minimum wage was £7-50p?
Pros
The tea breaks if you get one
Cons
Management, wages, working hours
With my honest opinion the workplace made me uncomfortable and the atmosphere was dull
Till worker (Former Employee) –  England14 December 2017
It's a good work place for many other workers but in my opinion I didn't feel comfortable at all in the work place. There was a few mistakes but overall I didn't enjoy the environment
Pros
The salary
Cons
I didn't feel comfortable
i dunno
Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverurie, Aberdeenshire14 December 2017
did noting
don't get appreciated for anything
everyone is annoying in that place
hardest part is working with idiots
nothing is enjoyable about that place..
Pros
nvlhl
Cons
gckfghgckh
N/a
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  shop floor14 December 2017
i worked for home bargains for 6 years. The working environment was touch and go at times.the mangement team changed all the time but the team i worked in was great.
Friendly Atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Trowbridge12 December 2017
A typical day at work involves lots of little jobs so you are kept busy which passes time quickly. You need to be fast and efficient and confident dealing with customers. The management are very friendly and approachable and everyone acts as a large team. The hardest part of the job is the unpredictable fill shift finish times, you need to be quite flexible. The most enjoyable part is the relaxed atmosphere.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Unpredictable finish times
The worst job of my life
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire11 December 2017
The worst job of my life. Managers didn't have a clue about their job role , some of the employees were really nice whilst others absolutely awful . Wouldn't recommend this place for anyone
Pros
Cons
Long hours, little pay, no chance of progression for someone who actually would like to progress within the company, Poor health &safety
Not a great company to work for
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stocksbridge11 December 2017
Shifts changed without notice, poor wages, younger fitter workers put on tills, while older workers expected to run around like footballers. Managers very young and patronising, often speaking to older adults as if they were naughty kids. Did not enjoy working here.
Pros
local
Cons
changing shifts, managers, late deliveries, workload targets
Boring and stressful place to work with bad pay
Retail (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth9 December 2017
You will be stacking shelves all day and working i tills. Which is about it. The management is bad and we currently have lots of people joining and leaving and the way that the shop is wrong is totally unacceptable.
Pros
nothing
Cons
bad pay for long hours
You'll be fine, if your face fits
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bangor8 December 2017
A deep rooted bullying culture permeates throughout this company, if you are singled out by a superior staff member due to (playground) reasoning you will quickly find yourself dreading waking up to each new working day. Fellow floor staff are lovely and I have made lifelong friends whilst working there, however this can not be fully enjoyed due to self righteous, narcissistic and quite often cruel approaches to store management by senior staff and management.
Pros
salt of the earth floor staff
Cons
cruel and unreasonable managers
Terrible experience.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Devon8 December 2017
During my interview, induction and first week at the job I made a huge point of telling them I was unable to work on a Sunday. They even made a note of it and removed me from the Sunday shift they had booked me in for.
After a month there they decided to put me back on the Sunday shift, and began putting me under investigation when I couldn't make the shifts. They refused to ever talk to me directly and claimed it was my fault when I didn't know what was going on.
The management was downright awful and I only stayed there for a month.
Pros
Tiny discount on products that are already half price.
Cons
Late hours
Horrendous place to work!
Jack of all trades (Former Employee) –  Chesser edinburgh7 December 2017
Awful place to work. You have a 20 year old manager treating you like rubbish. He has no experience in life! Wouldn't recommend working in this store!
Pros
None really
Cons
None really
Good at first...
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff6 December 2017
I’ve worked there just over a month at the new store down Cardiff Bay. I am 18 and the hours are nice and flexible! However, I’m on an 8 hour contract and I do long 9 hour shifts, finishing at 9pm, sometimes 10 if they don’t let you go on time! This is hard because I love a 40 minute bus journey away and I’m now behind in University coz I’ve had no time to complete assignments to my full potential. I’ve heard managers talking behind others back, refuse to give people their contracted hours, and give someone under 18 over a 10 hour shift. The work is fun and easy going, but the long hours make it repetitive and tiring. I now end up coming home feeling exhausted and miserable because I’m doing long hours for rubbish pay! £6.43 an hour is not good for the kind of work you have to do.
Pros
Discount, nice people, new opportunities for students
Cons
Discount only in YOUR store, poor management, long hours, poor pay
Colleagues are fine but managers cause problems and you get no social life
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thurrock6 December 2017
I was on tills constantly and never got to be on the shop floor and I felt I wasn't learning anything. The other store assistants were fine but the managers weren't at all. I found it hard to have a social life you wouldn't know what days you're doing the next week till Friday so I could never make plans. You'd get TOLD you're staying extra hours instead of asking and if you already got plans the manager tells you to cancel no matter what it is. I worked from 8am till 6pm and only got 30 min break I was told earlier in the day by a manager that I can leave at 6 but when it got to 6 the same manager told me to stay and put away and tidy! I would only recommend this sort of job to school leavers, I wouldn't go for this as a career choice.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Poor management
Worst company
Lead Sales (Current Employee) –  Truro5 December 2017
Worst company I have worked for. No proper training no help from management. Working hours are not what is stated on rota. When I started all employees telling me to get out I thought they was joking but learnt the hard way!! Stay clear!!
Pros
Contract hours
Cons
Management, no training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8