Home Bargains Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire18 March 2018
I enjoyed this job I enjoyed stacking the shelves and working in a team that I didn’t do before I really got on with the staff they were really friendly and I respect that.
Pros
Hours
Cons
No Cons
Horrible manager
Lead Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh14 March 2018
One manager In the store was absolutely vile to staff and other members of management from inappropriate comments and ignoring people for a whole 8 hour shift.
I honestly wouldn’t recommend company head office are a joke when putting in a grevence or complaint.
Only good thing is have me a little extra experience.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Enjoy working at home bargains
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Ellesmere Port14 March 2018
Work in retail most of my life at the moment work for home and bargains in Ellesmere Port been there since 2016 looking for retail work with more hour's as 16 hour's a week is not enough for me
Pros
Cons
Need more hours
Great workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire14 March 2018
Everyone was friendly. Very fast paced unit but everyone was always smiling. Breaks were paid for which was a bonus and help was always at hand i would reccomend to anyone wanting a carrer change.
Pros
Breaks paid
Cons
Fast unit
Very enthusiastic and positive workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London13 March 2018
The first place I've felt welcomed and committed to work in, I am very used to the work environment and very open and friendly with the colleagues I am obliged to coordinate with, as if I consider them as a family. I improved myself through every stages of the work experience provided from shelving to stock management, merchandising to cash handling.
Pros
Collaborating with colleagues
Stay on Jobseeker's
Lead Sales (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland12 March 2018
I could write a full essay on this job. I'll just summarise it for you.

- Bullies in senior management.
- Incompetent, condescending, backstabbing management.
- Outdated systems.
- Poor pay.
- Contracted days, not just hours.
- Maximum 20 hour contract unless you are a senior manager.
- Short, unpaid breaks.
- quarterly stock take that senior management does not get paid extra for.
- Senior managers do not get paid extra for putting more hours in.
- Lower and senior managers harassed constantly on their days off via Whatsapp groups.
- Holidays are NEVER, EVER actioned. Senior managers deny receiving holiday forms even if handed to them personally in full view of CCTV.
- Constantly monitored and timed.
- Rota times are to be ignored. You will start early and finish late. Every. Day.
- If you're on the first management or fill shifts, you will be required to start at 6.30AM and will not be allowed to leave until you either finish the enormous deliveries, or the shop closes. Whichever comes first.
- Senior managers delegate EVERYTHING. I understand that this is a part of their job, but what is NOT a part of their job is to stand around with their phone on charge taking snaps and browsing the latest LadBible posts while their Lead Sales' do all their work for them.
- You will nearly never get your entitled 11 hours rest between shifts.

This company is awful. It is well known for its bullying culture and has one of the highest staff turnovers in the UK.

Shifts are long, breaks are short, work is hard, management is unsupportive, condescending and lazy, area
  more... and regional managers are a complete joke.

This company regularly shells out money in compensation because they have so many claims. Health and safety does not exist in this company. Worker's rights do not exist in this company. Fair wage does not exist in this company.

You are expected to kill yourself in this company for minimum wage.

If you are unemployed and this in the only place in your area hiring, stay on Jobseeker's Allowance. Seriously. It's that bad.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Literally everything
Ok for a student job
Fill Shift (Former Employee) –  Gallagher Retail Park10 March 2018
I worked there 4 hours filling shift.
We used to get told to arrive 10 minutes early unpaid to listen to a team brief.
We had to fill the shelves and sometimes got talked to like kids if it was a difficult day. Even though the shelves were high, there was literally 2 steps for about 10 aisles everyone refilling at once
Management would stay in the store room swapping returned cages while surfing Facebook. Sometimes delivery would be late so the 4pm
would be moved to next day meaning an 8 hour shift in one day- which is 8 hours of solid walking!!!
The area manager was a young kid and the managers would suckling upto him
It's nothing more than a stop gap job, not a career
I didn't particularly like the managers but they were nice people, just gluttons for punishment
I was taken off probation for lack of speed and escorted out before end of shift without the chance to say goodbye to everyone
Pros
Staff discount and smart uniforms
Cons
They liked you to be perpetually rushed off your feet even though it is a physically demanding job
Enjoyed my role.
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Harwich9 March 2018
Very friendly, clean environment with various tasks throughout my shift. Here I learned the value of good customer service. A fast pace was expected at times in all areas of the work place.
Pros
Promotion was available.
Cons
Some heavy lifting was required at times.
management could be better but overall an okay place to work
field staff and working on the tills (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall7 March 2018
working at home bargains was at times good but most of the time stressfull as its an early start with some days going on into the night. if better managed the store would be an easier place of work.
Pros
discounts in store
Cons
long hours with early starts!
Retail
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh5 March 2018
I loved this job I enjoyed stacking the shelves and working in a team that I didn’t do before I really got on with the staff they were really friendly and I respect that
Pros
Nope
Cons
6 hours
Great Fun but not for long
Lead Sales (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset5 March 2018
loved my time in home bargains but it just does not feel like the kind of place i could stay in forever. progression was too quick, you end up getting a team of 'managers' that dont know how to organise anything.
Pros
easy day job
Cons
low moral
friendly work place
Till Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullompton4 March 2018
They have good shift patents for college students and lovely management andthey also have good management training opportunities.

The workplace culture is positive and friendly.
Pros
good shifts
Cons
pay for young people is not as good
Biased and Unorganised
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Essex4 March 2018
Absolutely hated the majority of time working at home bargains, treated like an animal with little or no respect from MOST management. Stressful work with no room for error, or prepare for a disciplining from the member of management who happens to dislike you most. Forget the shift time, that doesn’t matter! You can go home when the entire delivery is done sobeit 4 hours over. All with sometimes less than the legal break required. Met some great staff members and customers, it’s just a shame it is ruined so terribly. Can’t say I would recommend it to anyone, pay isn’t exactly enviable or adequate, not to mention you’ll get paid peanuts for the actual work you are doing! Steer clear if at all possible!
Pros
Great Staff and Customers
Cons
Management & Pay
productive
Cashier/ fill staff (Former Employee) –  Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff3 March 2018
the work place itself was filled with great people and many staff friendly and helpful to any new members, the lead manager however can be quite counter productive and can come across very rude and harsh to new staff
Like a cliques
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitehaven, Cumbria28 February 2018
The store I work at has the most unprofessional management and it is very cliquey like in school, and eoplengetntreat better depending on their relationship with higher staff and everyone just complains about each other behind their back. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone.
Pros
Not working weekends.
Cons
Unsupportive management, no sick pay, unprofessional.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morecambe28 February 2018
My shift would involve working with cages of stock from the morning delivery and making necessary adjustments to fit all stock onto the sales floor.
I learned how to be resourceful and use my initiative well.
The management provided me with the relevant information and training needed to complete my tasks effectively.
The most difficult part of the job was being able to be extremely diverse under a tight time pressured environment. But I quickly adapted to the pressure fairly well and it kept me motivated.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the unpredictability from day to day due to the diversity of the role.
Pros
Diverse, productive, motivating
Cons
Irregular shift lengths, unstable hours
Great workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside28 February 2018
Great workplace. Straight forward job with good management in my case. You are set simple tasks/aims to complete within your shift which gets you through the work day.
Friendly place to work although many hours are required
Assistant Manager (Full Time) (Current Employee) –  Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff27 February 2018
perfect environment for people looking for part time work.
progression is steady although gaining the correct knowledge isn't always easy as there are many people fighting for the same opportunities
Pros
quarterly bonuses
Cons
Very fast paced work place
Lead Sales (Current Employee) –  Retail26 February 2018
I loved working within this company. Met lots of lovely staff members and customers. Everyday was a different one. Some good, Some bad. The team were good and very hard working.
Not recommended
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen21 February 2018
Overall it seems a nice mainstream retail job, but when you start working you get to realise that upper management and management of stores might have NEVER worked as a retail assist. The shifts are four hours long and categorized in three: fill shift, first isle, and till. Now the till shift is what you're told at the interview that YOU MIGHT BE ASKED to stay a bit longer than the four hours. You're not asked. You're rather not allowed to leave after the four hours if delivery isn't finished, you're roughly told in the morning that you finish at some hour, but it's always longer. This is fill shift is what you wouldn't want to work. The cages are badly filled with the boxes to put out on shelves. They are heavy boxes, then lighter and smaller, then heavier and bigger, so in trials to take the heavy stuff off the cage everything falls (yes, on you). Then at this fill shift they also tell you you've got 45minutes for a cage, but they don't time it fair and you get told you're slow and not good. You're asked to make space for what you have in the boxes which means moving around everything that's on shelves than putting those stuff from the boxes. Also in fill shift they don't want 'overs', stuff that didn't fit on shelves, but you are not allowed to 'hide' that items behind other stuff so you literally spend around 10 minutes to move around on shelves until you get to put out those couple of stuff from your box. And that's what they don't count at timing.
The first isle shift is better as you still have cages to do but it's actually only four hours and you're supposed to keep
  more... that isle clean and tidy.
The till shifts are the best, you sit down at a till and arrange stuff around it.
You're mistreated by the way they speak to you and they way they try to sack you for not being fast enough.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Unfulfilling work, mistreated, looked down at

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.