Home Bargains Pay & Benefits reviews

only one downside
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke17 January 2018
the only real downside that i can think of for home bargains, other than the hours dragging on very long, is that the salary is considerably low for the amount of hours that you're given
Pros
good environment
Cons
salary
Good to work for
Cleaner, fill shift. (Current Employee) –  Hayle, Cornwall15 January 2018
I helped set the store up in Hayle Cornwall and still working there now, also got my wife a job with them, very family oriented. Pay is above minimum wage and very open to rota changes.
Pros
Good to work for
Fun atmosphere
Manager (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester14 January 2018
I enjoyed my time as manager. It something I always wanted to do an this company gave me the opportunity.
Whilst training for the position of manager I got to work all over the country an work in many of different stores the company owned therefore opening up my costumer service skills and the ability to adapt to new workplace and people in a short amount if time.
Pros
Above minium pay pension 5 weeks paid holiday a year
Cons
Long hours. Stock takes no praise for hitting targets
Home Bargains is a good place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chadderton, Greater Manchester11 January 2018
Home Bargains is a good place to work and the management staff at the store in which I work are very friendly and good to work alongside they help create a nice and funny working environment. however the only complaint I can have about home bargains is that the salary and the hours in which people work are poor workers are definitely not paid what they should earn.
Cons
Short hours, pay isn't very good
Fairly positive work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset7 January 2018
The job is a positive work place the people around you are very kind and help you out when you first start, the management is okay but the hours are not spread fairly.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Hours
A fun environment
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk28 December 2017
Home bargains is a friendly and fun place of Work. Managers always know how to help in order to get the job done. I learnt how to work under pressure when dealing with different customers and helping them to the best of my ability.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No guaranteed shifts
expect too much
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Merseyside19 December 2017
very much a company that gives opportunities to people that say the right things, rather than the hard workers. long hours (min. 44 a week) no overtime pay for salaried management.
Pros
job security
Cons
long hours, poor salary
Can be fun but not a great work life balance
Lead Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall16 December 2017
Long hours and always changing hours are hard to work your life around but for a first job it's great. I set up a store so it was all a bit of chaos to begin with.
Pros
Discount
A good enough first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  England15 December 2017
This was my first job since being a school leaver and while the company don't adhere to legal break times/shift hours, the management is very good and staff are very friendly. Pay is slightly poor for the work but there is a good concept of teamwork which makes it an enjoyable place to work
Pros
Good management
Cons
Not flexible with working hours, low pay
Used to be good, now management appauling
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands15 December 2017
Symptomatic of the way British Industry has gone since we joined the EU.
Lower wages, longer hours, incompetent management and poorer conditions.
No wonder they let immigrants flood into the country like they do …. they are the only ones desperate enough to put up with this pantomime.
Offer a decent wage, decent hours, decent managers and good health and safety working conditions like we had 30 years ago, and true British people would work hard for these companies.
Offering cleaners £5.06p/hr …. Jeez, isn't that illegal? ….I thought the minimum wage was £7-50p?
Pros
The tea breaks if you get one
Cons
Management, wages, working hours
With my honest opinion the workplace made me uncomfortable and the atmosphere was dull
Till worker (Former Employee) –  England14 December 2017
It's a good work place for many other workers but in my opinion I didn't feel comfortable at all in the work place. There was a few mistakes but overall I didn't enjoy the environment
Pros
The salary
Cons
I didn't feel comfortable
Good at first...
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff6 December 2017
I’ve worked there just over a month at the new store down Cardiff Bay. I am 18 and the hours are nice and flexible! However, I’m on an 8 hour contract and I do long 9 hour shifts, finishing at 9pm, sometimes 10 if they don’t let you go on time! This is hard because I love a 40 minute bus journey away and I’m now behind in University coz I’ve had no time to complete assignments to my full potential. I’ve heard managers talking behind others back, refuse to give people their contracted hours, and give someone under 18 over a 10 hour shift. The work is fun and easy going, but the long hours make it repetitive and tiring. I now end up coming home feeling exhausted and miserable because I’m doing long hours for rubbish pay! £6.43 an hour is not good for the kind of work you have to do.
Pros
Discount, nice people, new opportunities for students
Cons
Discount only in YOUR store, poor management, long hours, poor pay
Busy job, i was never left standing doing nothing
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corby18 November 2017
Home bargains was a fast moving and busy environment to work in. I always had something to work on and this job im proved my customer servise skills greatly. The management were strict but cared about the wellbeing of their staff
Pros
Multiple short breaks throughout the day
Cons
A great place to develop skills.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harlow, Essex16 November 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Home Bargains as it allowed me to explore and develop skills I wasn't too confident with before. The job is very emotionally and physically demanding and can be very stressful at times. It definitely keeps me on my toes and there's never a moment where you're standing still, I would recommend this job to anyone prepared for the physical demands and long hours.
Pros
Friendly staff and 10% discount
Cons
Long hours and short breaks
Not a good place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire7 November 2017
Appalling place to work avoid if you can not a good place to work.

Not very good job work/life balance to it, felt like you never had much time away from it.

Managers can be two faced, all about targets and don't care about staff except if you will butter up to them.

Long stock takes of 8-9 hours each quarterly.

There is a chance for promotion if your face fits.

You can do over time if you wish, but it cut into your social life a lot.

Minimum wage.
28 days holiday a year.
Christmas party.
10% staff discount.
Pros
Staff discount, Christmas partuy
Cons
Long hours, Managment culture
Never short of things to do
Fill Shift/Rebuild/Till Staff (Former Employee) –  Wellingborough, Northamptonshire3 November 2017
I learnt a lot of skills within the business including experience with handling money directly and serving on tills. I can't make any positive comments on how management ran to the day to day activities or the atmosphere while at that shop in particular but I loved helping customers which is what I really enjoyed and was often praised for doing so both on and off the tills. The hardest part was being so under staffed for most of the year meant very little progress was able to be achieved in general.
Pros
company discount
Cons
odd days off (Wednesday & Sunday)
Could've been so good.
Lead Sales (Former Employee) –  Haverhill27 October 2017
Really great company for those who want to progress. Management were good and you were treated well however they really ought to be more honest about the hours you are expected to work. This was my reason for leaving.
Hard, physical work in the main but was usually balanced out by a stint on the tills.
Pros
Staff discount, friendly staff and managers
Cons
Long hours.
Productive working place allows you too express yourself.
Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside19 October 2017
Home bargains is a family run business, they have a well intergrated working environment which allows your to be yourself and have fun, They're expectations can be quite demanding conserdering the pay, overall great company.
Pros
Family run business, owners take care and show affection for their workers i.e. Free Christmas party and family fun days.
Cons
Long hours, payment scheme, don't get paid for overtime if your salary.
Okay-ish if you cant get any other work
Shop floor/Till operator (Former Employee) –  Whitstable18 October 2017
Typical day if on fill shift would involve opening boxes and putting products on said category of shelves and assisting customers with finding what they need. If on tills it would be literally what you do on tills. I didn't learn much as it was a basic retail job apart from improving my customer service. Unfortunately the hours are low, and the pay is lower, with very little room for advancing in the business. Short lunch breaks too. Luckily I was able to shift my hours from weekend to weekday which is uncommon but unable to increase hours. With management, they will scrutinise you on every little fault you make which can swiftly result in unemployment. The employees who work there are very friendly and understanding. It is a fairly easy job but it is not a great option if you are trying to advance in retail or management.
Cons
Short hours, short lunch breaks, very low pay, management not great
fun workplace
rebuild (Former Employee) –  Clacton-on-Sea, Essex18 October 2017
very good company to work for learned loads of different things which gave me confidence to try new things on my own .I struggled a little bit with the hours because we could only do 20 hours a week .the dissadvantage of working for this company was if we done overtime we were only paided the hourly rate
Pros
overtime
Cons
set hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8