Home Bargains Pay & Benefits reviews

nightmare
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire14 October 2018
staff are a good laugh but management can take the job way to serious. poor pay considering the hard work staff put in. customers are on the whole pretty poor as the feel entitled to everything just because it is a discount store.
home bargins
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool10 October 2018
has a nice environment in home bargains and you are able to have a flexible hours. good wage for the work you do and good hour starrting and finishing
People there were lovely.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Customer Assistant9 October 2018
Whilst the job wasn't complicated, it was medium labour for very low pay.
It was extremely social and the management team were amazing; the work wasn't mentally taxing at all however, you were underpaid.
Pros
Management, 10% discount
Cons
Low pay
fun, stressful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Congleton5 October 2018
the workers there are alright but the managers need to learn how to do things properly always messing dates up making you work stupid hours without breaks and making you stay there hours longer than you are suppose to
Pros
good money nice workers paid weekly
Cons
make you work longer than they said forget give you breaks
Great Place to work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire24 September 2018
Great hours and flexibility, poor pay and benefits. Management was fantastic and helpful considering it was my first job. staff were very friendly and lovely.
Great
Lead Sales (Former Employee) –  Fife21 September 2018
Great place to work again met loads of different people and the pay is good plus discount moved on for a new challenge still have contact with the people I met here
Pros
Discount
Positive working environment
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Southend, Essex20 September 2018
4 hour shifts every evening where I would either organise shelves or work on the tills. Relatively stress free and a good working environment with good management
Pros
Good staff members
Cons
Awkward working hours for a student (4pm-8pm)
Cliquey management and ridiculous expectations
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sutton-In-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire19 September 2018
For the amount of money paid an hour, the work is very demanding and expectations from management are ridiculous. Management are very cliquey and can sometimes make you feel uncomfortable. However, they do work around university/college without too much of a fuss which was much appreciated. Also give you extra hours if needed without a fuss too.
Pros
Work around education
Cons
Demanding and low pay
Atrocious management and poor environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beckton, Greater London18 September 2018
The management is the reason why I left this place. They treat you like dirt while they stand about talking to all the managers and don't do anything. They make you do ridiculous long hours at 6am and don't let you leave until 12 or 1pm.

Breaks are every 4 hours and they only give you a 30 minute break which is absolutely ridiculous. They literally make you do labour work for 4 hours straight and don't care if you have hurt yourself or cut yourself. They are also extremely vague and bossy.

DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU HAVE ANY DIGNITY AND SELF-WORTH. As I said before, they treat you like dirt and make you work long hours. And even after all this they don't even pay you properly. The salary for me was only £6.60 because I was 19-21. Even though this was my first actual job, I left it after a working there for 4 weeks. They make you do so many hours on your first week because they don't even pay you for your first week!

It is the worst place to work in.
Pros
10% store discount
Cons
No breaks, labour work, low pay, disgusting management, poor working environment
Nice Co-Workers
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside14 September 2018
Management are biased to their favourites and often don't do their jobs properly but the co-workers are nice and hard working. The hours are good and the pay is okay.
Pros
Co-Workers, Hours
Avoid at all costs
Lead sales manager (Current Employee) –  Basildon8 September 2018
unless youre willing to suck up to the bosses and step on everyone around you to get to the top this isn't the place for you.
No appreciation for what you do for your store or the company, constant messages regarding work when not on your shift that you have to pay attention to and respond is not worth the £8.46 an hour pay.
Stressful environment that needs to be sorted
friendly working environment and good hours
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool28 August 2018
for a first job it's really good everyone who works there is extremely friendly and nice. the hours are very good. really good hours and they can work around you education if you are still in education
Pros
10% discont on shopping paid day out in summer and there a big Christmas party
Cons
can be very busy and can be stressful around chirstmas
Fun happy joyfull
any job (Former Employee) –  Liverpool19 August 2018
I think home bargains is a great supermarket I go with my mum all the time I love it I want to work there because the stuff look kind and caring I wanna work there but I don't have an experience
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Part time
enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belfast17 August 2018
usually loads of members of staff so enjoyable and nice being able to work with people you like as a big team. bad pay for what is required of you and mediocre management.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Good part time first job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury30 July 2018
I have enjoyed my time at Home Bargains as it is an easy job where you can interact with a lot of people and pick up a lot of people and business skills along the way. While some days can be stressful overall its not so bad. The rates of pay are very unfair in terms of age discrimination but they do pay above minimum wage. Hours are very flexible as there are lots of different shifts. Whether or not you would enjoy this job depends a lot upon whether or not there is a good management team in place. This is a labour intensive job and sometimes a lot can be asked of you without any sort of gratitude or thanks given which can be very demotivating, however that is heavily dependent on the management and so subjective to each store.
Pros
Lots of flexibility in terms of hours, people interaction.
Cons
pay is unfair and if you have a problem very little if anything will ever be done about it.
absolutely terrible company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Goole29 July 2018
you need to hope that management actually like you, if they dont then they will do anything they can to get rid of you, your contracted hours can be up to 22 hours but myself and other co-workers at the time were easily doing 40+ hours and we didnt even get paid for all of them, we ended up having to call into HR to get the money we worked for.
Pros
Cons
long hours, poor management
fun
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire13 July 2018
working for home bargains was like a emotional roller coaster.
all the staff are great to work with. sometimes you have your good and bad days it was part time but you may get more hours.
Pros
discounts
Cons
part time
was good to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, Moray8 July 2018
the company was good work for they staff was ok at times and i liked working there but the manager was not very nice she spoke me like and i done loads of hours for them and was asked to stay behind and said no because was doing to much hours
Initially fun but eventually tedious
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool6 July 2018
When I first started working in Home Bargains it was great, all the training was done during working hours, I learned a lot of new skills and made some good friends. Ultimately, however, the jobs began to take its toll as there was little variety in the day and customers were occasionally very rude. The management was effective overall but could be a little impersonal at times, particularly the higher-ups. The low pay for younger people (who are expected to do the same work) means this job is unsustainable for students.
Pros
Nice discount, Good friends, Good hours
Cons
Low pay, monotonous work, difficult to get time off
The only upside to this job is the staff.
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bangor4 July 2018
Shifts aren't flexible, management take advantage. Getting time off is a hassle. There's no respect for staff. Everything is always micro-managed, management often complain about small conversations between staff even whilst working.
Pros
Pay is better than minimum, christmas parties are fairly good.
Cons
Poor shifts, bad atmosphere and relations with management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.