Home Bargains Employee Reviews for Shop Assistant

A fun environment
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk28 December 2017
Home bargains is a friendly and fun place of Work. Managers always know how to help in order to get the job done. I learnt how to work under pressure when dealing with different customers and helping them to the best of my ability.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No guaranteed shifts
shelf filling
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester28 December 2017
typical day was arriving at work at 7am getting into the store room have the talk in the morning then jump straight into it
everyone there is friendly so it was easy getting along with everyone
Pros
discounts
Store assistant Ellesmere port Westminster
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire23 December 2017
Rubbish company to work for,if your face doesn't fit forget it,, I needed to take a second job because 16 hours wasn't enough, HB told me that they couldn't guarantee me a late start even though they needed people to work late, other staff members were allowed to have shifts to suit them, I'm glad I'm out of that place
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Horrible management
Terrible inept Management
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carrickfergus18 December 2017
The best workers don't get treated well but if you are willing to out drinking with the managers that's how you get preferential treatment.
I worked everyday for two weeks straight covering for everything, then when I asked for a day to be changed I got shouted at and told things like that don't just happen.
Good
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Haverhill, Suffolk26 November 2017
Good work place but repetitive work.
Serving customers, filling shelves and keeping store tidy.
Good team work and excellent management team who are very supportive and encouraging
Fun workplace
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tunstall, Staffordshire4 September 2017
At work I learn how to deal with customers in a professional manner and show politeness even if they are rude to you. The hardest part of the job is to stay clam when under pressure but I remain calm in them situations.
Shop assistant
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waltham Abbey4 September 2017
Slightly tedious work. Friendly staff. Quite a lot of heavy jobs involved. Employed lots of different types of people, it was always busy and a very popular shop.
Pros
got a discount card
not bad for first job
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nantwich, Cheshire16 August 2017
i didnt mind working at home bargains. it was my first job and i started out working weekends. only issues were the management went great and they seemed to team up together and not help the staff working on shop floor. stock takes were very long and took most iof the nigh to complete and was expected to be in early the next day if on shift.
Pros
good first tie job
Cons
stoke takes
Busy workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stroud, Gloucestershire17 July 2017
Home Bargains is a very busy and demanding environment. Itypical day at work either working to make sure isle 1 is presentable, working on the till or restocking shelfs.
depends
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London30 May 2017
started decent on part time contract loads of overtime up to christmas, got worse over time, quite a few people left, disgusting management, some racist, was just not treated well in fact was bullied and felt harassed, scum bag company
productive
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport17 May 2017
i worked weekends at the age of 16-17 as i was still in education long busy days but.was an experiance to work in a shop, all the girls who work there were really nice.
Fun workplace
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pentrebach, Merthyr Tydfil30 April 2017
Very good place to work, I learned a lot and the owner was very friendly, I also got to look at the culture of a lot of other workplaces, which was interesting
Pros
Free lunches
Fun place to work.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe25 March 2017
This was a fun place to work at times and we had a good team. It was quite hard to get hours and they wasn't fond of you taking holidays.Management was poor and they were very bitter of the tiniest of things.
good place to work
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  blackpool cherry tree road13 March 2017
in the morning we clock in to work then we have a 5 minute meeting who's going to work where on the shop floor and what tasks we had to do, it was only a 30 hour contract but their was posabilaty of more hours, the staff are very friendly and it was like a family team. the management team are very fair and considerant it wasn't a hard job we all pulled together as a team if one of us was strugleing we helped each over out as much as possible best part of the job we all got along great had a laugh and a few jokes.
Pros
we got discount on our shopping.
Cons
their wernt enough hours all year round.
Work not ok
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlow, Essex9 March 2017
Due to hand condition for carrying heavy boxes to put on shelves .
I became very slow to replenishing the shelves and held up my team
leave company.
Productive workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester12 February 2017
A typical day at work included welcoming customers to the store and providing an excellent customer service to keep a happy environment. I learned how to handle money efficiently and took responsibility with my duties. The job wasn't ideal or enjoyable as the pay wasn't worth the amount of effort and hours I put into the job which is the downfall.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Low pay
Productive, fun, keeps you busy and gives you the skills you may need for retail work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aldrige19 October 2016
I only worked at home bargains for 1 month and a half but I had fun working there and meeting new people, unfortunately I got fired for working to slow due to back and keee problems I had which are sorted now, I got fired with an unfair dismissal.
Pros
Meeting new people, learning new skills
Cons
We didn't get a break
productive in a way
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Heanor29 September 2016
good shop and company to work for although not enough hours for the people working there,
employ to many staff and no full time positions availble...
Pros
close to home
Cons
not enough work for people employed
Worst managers ever, don't a clue !!!
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Christchurch4 September 2016
This company do not have a clue how to run a business. latest manager is only nice to her couple of friends, Very rude to staff, even on shop floor in front of customers, she puts lots of undue pressure on staff, some breaking down in tears. Gives heavy/unliked jobs to those who try to stand up to her. Company need some older, more experienced managers to run these stores efficiently. Store concept is good, managerial skills in general are not so good.

Hours are only to suit the manager, not staff. Fill shift has to stay until all goods are put out, even if they have appointments, or family commitment. Staff are made to feel worthless, unlike past managers who praised for good work.

I managed superstores in past and know correct way to deal both with the staff, customers and company. There has to be good communications, an understanding of staff needs, along with the need to produce a profit.

This company could do a lot better if it treated it's staff in the correct way, which would lead to improved production, and a lower staff turnover. Many including me have decided to leave as we do not need to work for a company like this.

Unite union need to come in here and encourage staff to join and help them understand their rights and protect their health and safety.
Pros
Some nice work colleagues, and customers
Cons
No job satisfaction, hours only suit manager
good
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnley30 August 2016
during my time at home bargains i carried out many tasks as tidying the shop floor working on tills and caring for customers needs this job would be hard to get motivated for if it wasn't for the amazing managers and friendly staff that instantly make you feel part of a team and are willing to help you if your struggling with your daily tasks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8