Home Bargains Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire14 January 2018
It keeps you on your toes, there is a lot to do in the day to day routine, as well as helping the customers out you have to make sure the store is tidy and clean.
Pros
Shorter days
Cons
Not long enough breaks
Home Bargains is a good place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chadderton, Greater Manchester11 January 2018
Home Bargains is a good place to work and the management staff at the store in which I work are very friendly and good to work alongside they help create a nice and funny working environment. however the only complaint I can have about home bargains is that the salary and the hours in which people work are poor workers are definitely not paid what they should earn.
Cons
Short hours, pay isn't very good
Terrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Essex8 January 2018
If you want to be treated like an absolute mug, then you should work here! The store I worked in had an awful store manager who was almost robotic. She didn’t take anyone’s feelings into consideration and the whole team hated her, even the other managers.

In terms of rotas, I guess some people may be lucky and get good shifts but if you’re a college student like I am, you’ll be put on long weekend hours so you’ll have no real time to get much college work done if the weekend is when you do things like that. It also impacts your personal life. I was barely at home, especially when it came to the summer holidays.

All round, I couldn’t spend a long time here just because of how the treatment was. There were some good managers and sales assistants so it wasn’t all doom and gloom however that was the only good thing about it.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad management
Unsociable hours, bad management and no benefits for working there.
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheshire8 January 2018
I have been working at Home Bargains for a year and 6 months now. Firstly i started out as weekend staff as i was still at sixth form and then took on a full time contract. At first i loved the job, it was my first job and i loved the sense of responsibility. But then as the months grew on i realised how bad of a company it is. The management are terrible, there is no communication between them and staff members so we regularly get told different things by different management. We are treated unfairly and are expected to work stupid hours on such short notice. If we are treated badly by any customers, they don't care,we have to take it and be very polite back, no matter what the situation. We can never get a word in edgeways as in their eyes we are always wrong even if were upset about something. This job is terrible and the way you are treated is appalling. I would NOT recommend this job.
Cons
Unsociable hours and treated unfairly
Home bargains
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire6 January 2018
I think that home bargains is a horrible company cause the management team is very bad and they give you horrible breaks and they are very strict and not very nice to there staff
A good first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville2 January 2018
There was always more hours to pick up other than ones contracted. As my first job it was a brilliant place to start. The environment is mostly very laid back. The hardest part of this job was keeping the shop front looking tidy and making sure the shelves were full due to the shop being quite popular. The most enjoyable part of this job was being surrounded with colleagues who were really easy to work alongside and being able to get help from other shop floor assistants.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Lead sales were quite biased
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Heanor28 December 2017
Stacking and cleaning shelves and till operative.
I learnt how to deliver effective customer service and worked well alongside management.
The hardest part of the job was delivering a job to the best of my ability whilst given a specific time.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with customers and helping customers to the best of my ability.
Hit and miss
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wellingborough27 December 2017
Only really suitable for those wanting p/t work such as a student or a mum wanting school hours as contracts were only between 4-20 hours a week. In my store, some of the managers were alright, others were awful. Wouldn't recommended building a career here as you'll be doing the work of 3 people due to lack of staff most of the time.
Best for students
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newton Mearns, East Renfrewshire27 December 2017
I started working there at 16 so I only got paid £4.55 which was great at the time for my first job whilst at school. It was fun and casual for all staff and even store managers. The company itself is way too strict and controlling trying to be more serious than it is and the whole clocking in 10 minutes before your shift was cause for issues. Great part-time job for students or elder people.
Pros
Short shifts, simple tasks
Cons
Company was over controlling
Can be fun but not a great work life balance
Lead Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall16 December 2017
Long hours and always changing hours are hard to work your life around but for a first job it's great. I set up a store so it was all a bit of chaos to begin with.
Pros
Discount
A good enough first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  England15 December 2017
This was my first job since being a school leaver and while the company don't adhere to legal break times/shift hours, the management is very good and staff are very friendly. Pay is slightly poor for the work but there is a good concept of teamwork which makes it an enjoyable place to work
Pros
Good management
Cons
Not flexible with working hours, low pay
Used to be good, now management appauling
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands15 December 2017
Symptomatic of the way British Industry has gone since we joined the EU.
Lower wages, longer hours, incompetent management and poorer conditions.
No wonder they let immigrants flood into the country like they do …. they are the only ones desperate enough to put up with this pantomime.
Offer a decent wage, decent hours, decent managers and good health and safety working conditions like we had 30 years ago, and true British people would work hard for these companies.
Offering cleaners £5.06p/hr …. Jeez, isn't that illegal? ….I thought the minimum wage was £7-50p?
Pros
The tea breaks if you get one
Cons
Management, wages, working hours
N/a
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  shop floor14 December 2017
i worked for home bargains for 6 years. The working environment was touch and go at times.the mangement team changed all the time but the team i worked in was great.
Friendly Atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Trowbridge12 December 2017
A typical day at work involves lots of little jobs so you are kept busy which passes time quickly. You need to be fast and efficient and confident dealing with customers. The management are very friendly and approachable and everyone acts as a large team. The hardest part of the job is the unpredictable fill shift finish times, you need to be quite flexible. The most enjoyable part is the relaxed atmosphere.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Unpredictable finish times
The worst job of my life
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire11 December 2017
The worst job of my life. Managers didn't have a clue about their job role , some of the employees were really nice whilst others absolutely awful . Wouldn't recommend this place for anyone
Pros
Cons
Long hours, little pay, no chance of progression for someone who actually would like to progress within the company, Poor health &safety
You'll be fine, if your face fits
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bangor8 December 2017
A deep rooted bullying culture permeates throughout this company, if you are singled out by a superior staff member due to (playground) reasoning you will quickly find yourself dreading waking up to each new working day. Fellow floor staff are lovely and I have made lifelong friends whilst working there, however this can not be fully enjoyed due to self righteous, narcissistic and quite often cruel approaches to store management by senior staff and management.
Pros
salt of the earth floor staff
Cons
cruel and unreasonable managers
Terrible experience.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Devon8 December 2017
During my interview, induction and first week at the job I made a huge point of telling them I was unable to work on a Sunday. They even made a note of it and removed me from the Sunday shift they had booked me in for.
After a month there they decided to put me back on the Sunday shift, and began putting me under investigation when I couldn't make the shifts. They refused to ever talk to me directly and claimed it was my fault when I didn't know what was going on.
The management was downright awful and I only stayed there for a month.
Pros
Tiny discount on products that are already half price.
Cons
Late hours
Good at first...
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff6 December 2017
I’ve worked there just over a month at the new store down Cardiff Bay. I am 18 and the hours are nice and flexible! However, I’m on an 8 hour contract and I do long 9 hour shifts, finishing at 9pm, sometimes 10 if they don’t let you go on time! This is hard because I love a 40 minute bus journey away and I’m now behind in University coz I’ve had no time to complete assignments to my full potential. I’ve heard managers talking behind others back, refuse to give people their contracted hours, and give someone under 18 over a 10 hour shift. The work is fun and easy going, but the long hours make it repetitive and tiring. I now end up coming home feeling exhausted and miserable because I’m doing long hours for rubbish pay! £6.43 an hour is not good for the kind of work you have to do.
Pros
Discount, nice people, new opportunities for students
Cons
Discount only in YOUR store, poor management, long hours, poor pay
Productive place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harwich, Essex30 November 2017
Being apart of home bargains for a small amount of time has been able to have an impact on me and has helped me gain more confidence as I’m not a very confident when it comes to meeting new people. But I’m a polite member of staff when it comes to customers! And it has also helped me learn what working in a local store is really about.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and bery organisex establishment.
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Llanelli29 November 2017
Enjoyed working for the company. Very organised and happy place to work. Staff and team friendly and helpful. The store is very clean and very accessible to every customer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8