Home Bargains Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

nightmare
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire14 October 2018
staff are a good laugh but management can take the job way to serious. poor pay considering the hard work staff put in. customers are on the whole pretty poor as the feel entitled to everything just because it is a discount store.
home bargins
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool10 October 2018
has a nice environment in home bargains and you are able to have a flexible hours. good wage for the work you do and good hour starrting and finishing
productive working environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  manchester9 October 2018
its never a dull moment in the working environment and theres always jobs that you can be getting on with such as tidying and price checking and the customers are a delight to talk to.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no set days
terrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tunstall, Staffordshire9 October 2018
i lasted three days at HB, it really was one of the worst jobs I've ever had, bad management, forced to stay with no knowledge of when I'm finishing, I was told at the interview I'd have overtime but I didn't expect it to be 8 hours overtime each day! management were very unprofessional and the staff walked around the store swearing at each other and were also very unhelpful towards customers. The job was literally stacking shelves and carrying extremely heavy boxes with no one telling you how to correctly carry things, which can be very dangerous. Only had one half an hour break even though I worked 12 hour shifts. Oh and to top it all off, I never got paid for the three days work I actually did... Avoid this company at all costs.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Strabane, County Tyrone7 October 2018
it was an average job. i did it because i needed the money. the management were nice. the customers were not. i liked most of my colleagues and i only left because i was going to university.
Intimidating workplace, terrible management.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare6 October 2018
I was very young when I started working here which may have played a part, but I still don't believe work should be so cold and intimidating. Management are snappy and unwelcoming!
Pros
Going home after the shift
Cons
Terrible wage, long hours, not enough space between a shift.
Average
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prestatyn, Flintshire2 October 2018
The actual job was easy (if somewhat tedious) as I tidied shelves for 4 hours a day. The co-workers were amazing, it was the management that was not. I felt that one of them personally disliked me and went out of their way to make my day worse.

Overall; would NOT recommend this place, even if it is just for weekend work (like mine was).
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Tedious work
friendly work environment, supportive management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Holywood, County Down30 September 2018
I loved working at Home Bargains. The staff and management were so friendly. I usually worked between 4-6 hour shifts which was very sustainable. The most enjoyable part of my job was smiling on the tills all day.
Enjoyable Job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool30 September 2018
The training given at home bargains is very efficient and in depth. The job itself was very enjoyable, allowing for social aspects when it came to welcoming customers in and setting a friendly tone to the store.
It was a job...
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands20 September 2018
For a first job it was okay I guess, pay was decent but not great for teen. Great experience though, and a good place to get into work! However, management is horrid. The branch I was at had mainly young managers/lead sales so it's very cliquey and makes you feel like your a 12 again.
You do get a 10% discount which is nice.
But if you get a job here be expected to do a lot of different jobs from cleaning, tills and miscellaneous tasks.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Boring and full of people who do not know a thing about anything
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend20 September 2018
Boring and full of people who do not know a thing about anything, management don't care about their jobs or the employees jobs and depending on which area you work in then you get some really annoyed and frustrated customers
Pros
N.A
Cons
Zero hour contracts
bad management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundee, Dundee City19 September 2018
management treat you baldly and give you unrealistic times to finish the stock shift. the shifts are supposed to be fours hours long and you can kept on without warning for an extra three hours.
Pros
4 hour shifts
Cons
bad management, kept longer upto an extra 3 hours
Cliquey management and ridiculous expectations
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sutton-In-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire19 September 2018
For the amount of money paid an hour, the work is very demanding and expectations from management are ridiculous. Management are very cliquey and can sometimes make you feel uncomfortable. However, they do work around university/college without too much of a fuss which was much appreciated. Also give you extra hours if needed without a fuss too.
Pros
Work around education
Cons
Demanding and low pay
Atrocious management and poor environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beckton, Greater London18 September 2018
The management is the reason why I left this place. They treat you like dirt while they stand about talking to all the managers and don't do anything. They make you do ridiculous long hours at 6am and don't let you leave until 12 or 1pm.

Breaks are every 4 hours and they only give you a 30 minute break which is absolutely ridiculous. They literally make you do labour work for 4 hours straight and don't care if you have hurt yourself or cut yourself. They are also extremely vague and bossy.

DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU HAVE ANY DIGNITY AND SELF-WORTH. As I said before, they treat you like dirt and make you work long hours. And even after all this they don't even pay you properly. The salary for me was only £6.60 because I was 19-21. Even though this was my first actual job, I left it after a working there for 4 weeks. They make you do so many hours on your first week because they don't even pay you for your first week!

It is the worst place to work in.
Pros
10% store discount
Cons
No breaks, labour work, low pay, disgusting management, poor working environment
Nice Co-Workers
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside14 September 2018
Management are biased to their favourites and often don't do their jobs properly but the co-workers are nice and hard working. The hours are good and the pay is okay.
Pros
Co-Workers, Hours
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London8 September 2018
busy fun environment with friendly staff.
the checkouts are very busy at peak hours so this means fast scanning of items so customers not waiting around for a long .
any more than 3 customers in the que announce for extra member of staff to report to the tills.
Pros
10% discount within ONLY in the shop you work i.
Productive workplace. Good for those starting work life, as there are a lot of part time jobs available.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Craigavon, County Armagh5 September 2018
The job gave sufficient satisfaction from its flexibility. The rota was designed in such a way as to make ones daily work routine less predictable, as one day you could find yourself assigned as a till op, then another on a specific aisle.
Fun and sociable place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peasley Cross, St Helens5 September 2018
The company overall is excellent, each year they host a Christmas party for employees who have been working in the company for over one year. As well as this they host a family fun day where employees can invite up to three family members to attend with them.

However, the management in the store that i worked in seemed to enjoy bullying sales assistants and some lower members of management. It appeared to be that anyone who did not fit into the 'clique' or stood up for themselves when being unfairly treated would be targeted and bullied out of the store. Certain members of management would make an agreement to collect evidence against one specific person in an attempt to get them fired.

Most of the other sales assistants and some members of management were really friendly and funny which made the shifts more enjoyable, it's just a shame that a small minority had to ruin such a fun working place.
Pros
Great customers, short shifts and fair pay.
Cons
Unfairly treated and bullied by management
Would not recommend the company to anyone
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead, Merseyside28 August 2018
Asides from the amazing friends i made here my entire experience of home bargains was horrendous. It's filled with systematic bullying from area managers and store managers alike, and if you rise to it it'll only get worse for you. Managers cut your hours down if they have a personal problem with you or as punishment. At first i thought the pay was good but for the conditions i had to deal with they couldve paid me £10 an hour and i would've still quit. Managers can get away with murder, had one at my shop that would be on her phone all the time on the shop floor and never had any disciplinary but someone i was friends with got a first warning for having their phone out, funny that. The managers would always act like they were doing you a favour for the most basic things; i.e letting you go for your break, approving your holiday time etc etc like oooh thank you for following the law?? Oh and they'll find any excuse to not give you your holiday pay when you inevitably quit. All in all the only positives from my experience there was the friends i made from it, the horror stories i can tell at parties of the place and the staff discount.
Pros
Staff discount, how any other job seems like heaven in comparison, friendly staff
Cons
Management, cliques, everything else
Not the best.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackwood21 August 2018
I started here years ago and helped build the brand new store from scratch, along with many other people... only to find out the following month that I was no longer required as they had taken too many people on and they had no option other than to let me go.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

Home Bargains Reviews by Location