Home Bargains Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

fun
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire13 July 2018
working for home bargains was like a emotional roller coaster.
all the staff are great to work with. sometimes you have your good and bad days it was part time but you may get more hours.
Pros
discounts
Cons
part time
unhappy place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire10 July 2018
this is an unhappy ununderstadning place to work. management don't understand personal issues there is a lot of favoritisim in the store booking holidays is difficult . inconsiderate unkind managements disrespectful expect too much off u no give or take.
Pros
discount
Cons
everything else
Productive fast paced environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wirral, Merseyside9 July 2018
Deliveries are always intense which is what I enjoy. good organised team, opportunities to progress through the company come up a lot and are good fair ones.
was good to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, Moray8 July 2018
the company was good work for they staff was ok at times and i liked working there but the manager was not very nice she spoke me like and i done loads of hours for them and was asked to stay behind and said no because was doing to much hours
Initially fun but eventually tedious
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool6 July 2018
When I first started working in Home Bargains it was great, all the training was done during working hours, I learned a lot of new skills and made some good friends. Ultimately, however, the jobs began to take its toll as there was little variety in the day and customers were occasionally very rude. The management was effective overall but could be a little impersonal at times, particularly the higher-ups. The low pay for younger people (who are expected to do the same work) means this job is unsustainable for students.
Pros
Nice discount, Good friends, Good hours
Cons
Low pay, monotonous work, difficult to get time off
Hectic
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall28 June 2018
Very hectic and fast paced work place, management can be very rude as well as the majority of customers who shop here, the pay wasn't the best, and i didn't get a pay rise when i was supposed to for the last 2 months i worked there.
Pros
10% off shopping
Cons
stressful and long days
productive workplace
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Cross Hands26 June 2018
I had a part time job at this company for a few months. I had to stock shelves, serve customers at the tills, help customers with any difficulty and make sure the store was of a good standard.
Pros
short shifts
Cons
average pay
great place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salford26 June 2018
when I worked at the Dewsbury branch I had a great time, I made friends, earned enough money to live well and never really had a bad experience, however when I transferred to the Salford branch that sadly changed. this branch was run poorly.
Fun and good experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands20 June 2018
Fast-paced work environment which gives you a good idea of what to expect in the world of retail. There is always something to do as the stores are busy which keeps you motivated.
Pros
flexible shift patterns
Cons
holidays are hard to push through
Easy Job, difficult management.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ormskirk18 June 2018
Management uncaring about personal circumstance or health; Physical or mental. Staff treated as dispensable. Easy job, easy to get hours if wanted but if you say you are unable to do extra when asked management will make your job difficult in other ways. Only real plus to the job is the 20 hour contract offered and wage slighlty above minimum. Staff in stores are great, hardworking and friendly, great atmosphere.
Pros
Great staff to work with.
Cons
Management treat staff poorly. High turnover.

Want to know more about Home Bargains?

Ask a question
fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln1 June 2018
long work days with lack of breaks
how to work to a time scale
workplace culture was nice
hardest part of the day was the long hours we had to work, which included working after the shop had closed
Nice staff
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grays27 May 2018
I have learned how to work well with other staff and its helped me to learn to get to places on time and its taught me how important it is to learn new skills.
Pros
Nice Staff, Cheap stock, clean
Cons
Short Hours, Not enough days
Fill shift is never ending
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire13 May 2018
Working on a 16 hour contract. Fill shift start at 9 and don't have a end time you finish when all the order is put out on the shop floor. 15 min break on a 4 hr shift. Ive never worked 16 hours a wk on fill shift. Till shifts are 4 hour shifts which isnt too bad at least you know when you are finishing work. On fill also one fill shift member is nominated as the till runner if they need something you go. And another is for the extra Till. Always shorts staffed. No cover for staff on holidays sick or maternity.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Long hours for fill shift on 16 hours
Productive and Hard Working
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Litherland10 May 2018
A typical day would consist of working on tills, the shop floor and also helping customers. This workplace is fast-paced and constantly on the move. In this job, communication skills are developed throughout the roles in this job.
Most enjoyable part of the job - engaging with other members of the team and learning new aspects of the job.
Pros
flexibility with hours
Cons
No full time positions as sales assistants.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Keighley3 May 2018
I have enjoyed my time at Home Bargain hence it has developed my as an individual. Whilst working at Home Bargains my communication and customer service skills have improved. I want to challenge myself and progress into a company which will showcase my skills and a place where I can progress throughout the company.
The most enjoyable part of my job was greeting and meeting customers also making the customers experience good at the retail store. I loved working as part of a team and tackling situations efficiently.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blaydon-On-Tyne3 May 2018
A typical day at home bargains usually involves, serving customers on the till, replenishing the stock and ensuring that the shop is tidied to the best of ability.
What you learn at home bargains if all the required skills to become a better individual, sales assistant or higher such as supervisor or even management. You learn the health and safety management of the store, and how to give the best customer service.
The workplace culture is great, very friendly, helpful and happy environment.
The hardest part of my job is letting a customer down, when they ask if we have a product and we don't its very difficult to tell them in case there is any conflict caused which may also be hard.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I can go to work, be myself, see my work colleagues and get my head down and do the best possible job that I can.
Pros
friendly staff
good starter job
cleaner
fill shift
stock takes
management is excellent
hardest part was cleaning and the easiest is helping customers
Pros
serving lots of customers
Cons
cleaning/stock takes
Poor Management/ Communication
Lead Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gloucestershire29 April 2018
currently work as a lead sales assistant.
role is great as you do learn a lot. however the senior management aren't the best. they treat you like nothing some days and the next their friend! They are constantly nagging at you to get certain jobs done in a 4 hour shift. (sometimes this isn't possible).
The way that some rules are for one of the management and different for others.
We don't all get treated equally. This needs to be addressed.
It's all about the management structure rather than the company itself
Lead Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Morecambe, Lancashire29 April 2018
You can progressively move forward to management using this company. A great first place to start. Management are happy to help and staff are more than willing to put in the work.
Pros
Holiday pay, Good company to work for.
Poor management
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands25 April 2018
Management don’t appreciate staffs hard work and always find something to complain about. Other than that it’s not a bad job. Staff are friendly. If your on a close you Sometimes have to stay longer than your finish time.
Pros
10% discount, friendly staff, overtime, pay isn’t too bad
Cons
Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

Home Bargains Reviews by Location