Home Bargains Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Found 478 reviews matching the search See all 1,040 reviews
Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire16 January 2019
My main duties were stock taking, stock rotation, loading and unloading goods, general housekeeping, liaised with sales assistants to retrieve stock for customers. I found the work interesting, stimulating, challenging and I enjoyed meeting, working alongside colleagues and interacting with the public.
fun workplace
rotas in advance
shift swap allowance
good work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tunstall10 January 2019
really good work atmosphere kind staff and management easy work clean and tidy work space nice customers all in all a really good place to work always payed on time and always phrased for good work
Depressing place to work...
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway1 January 2019
Its funny reading through some of the reveiws as every single store seems to be the same. Managment doing nothing, fill shift never finishing on time due to getting no help and doing a ridiculous amount of work with little breaks...... Managment walk around on their phones talking to family members or are on facebook. Something needs to change in that store otherwise they are going to have a very short number of staff members.
Pros
Cons
Too many to write down....
very enjoyable workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cramlington, Northumberland1 January 2019
I have had and am having the best time while working at Home Bargains. I am surrounded with people who love their job and the people they work with. There is always something to do and you will never get bored. (even though its work!) Time really does pass when you're busy and have your head down. Also, have the best manager!
Pros
free lunches
okay as temporary
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cannock16 December 2018
This job was supposed to change my career. I was promise progression to management and I was ignored soon after my first couple of weeks. management act all high and mighty and barely do any work,just walk around on phones and staring at you. job drove me insane, wish I was still there just for the money but apart from that - awful place to work. hated nearly every day. Just wanna day not all staff are that bad,some were nice and only worked there as no choice and needed the funds. Manager even called me names and took the fun out of me.
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything else
Worst company I've worked for in my life.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakwood, West Yorkshire14 December 2018
Management don't know there head from there bottoms. I had to deal with harassment (the worse kind) at this store (which management did nothing about!) they was constantly messing up the rota! People couldn't do jobs properly because management was so bad! If your thinking about this company my advice is DONT.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Rubbish management.
fun if you get a good team.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall13 December 2018
when i was there... the managers like to put down the staff, are usually moody with customers, take every chance possible to find a way of giving the staff a warning, there is no finishing times, so you could be there for 20 hours if you get a lazy team member.
Cons
Bad managers and long days
Sales Assistant? (Current Employee) –  Armagh City, County Armagh10 December 2018
20 hour contract but doing 39 which I don't mind but being threatened at 7am every morning that if 3 cages aren't done by break time you'll be put out, managers need retrained in everything they run about like it's a hospital ? Also don't care about they're staff, most stressful job I have had yet and they're is no need for it to be and when you ask to move shifts to something else like tills they seem to ignore your request and try to carry on with something else. Nothing is ever good enough for them.
Pros
Not sure
Cons
No finishing time, bad managers and everything else
Ideal for some
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Caernarfon29 November 2018
Job by all standards is awful but is ideal for people who want to work in a quick pace environment with responsibilities that are left up to you to accomplish.
Pros
10% Discount, Always Busy
Cons
Old fasioned work policies

Want to know more about Home Bargains?

Ask a question
most of the staff worked together well
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare28 November 2018
I gained experience and confidence. I engaged with others and my communication improved massively. It also made me more organised and made me realise i can work well under pressure.
Pros
gained experience and confidence
Cons
management was poor
Not a bad part time job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  North West19 November 2018
I’ll start with the Pros. The staff make the work place bearable and some of the management are ok too.
Staff get a Christmas party yearly which the company pay for. You also get 10% discount on your shopping.

However the cons out weigh these few pros of working for the company. You’ll be contracted a maximum amount of 20 hours per week, but be expected to work 40 ( which you do get paid for). If your shift is an 8-12 then you will be expected to stay until 4pm or even made to staying later.
Management are under lots of pressure therefore often take it out on the staff, you’re not allowed to talk to other members of staff during the shift. If you do you can expect to be shouted at like a child at school. Even though the management stand round talking to whoever they feel like.
You’ll be expected to train new staff for no extra wage, and often be the one who breaks the news to them that they have to stay 4 hours after their shift states on the Rota.
You’ll go out your way for a company that will replace you in a day. They often rota you in things like moves to change over seasonal displays which can go on until late at night or early morning hour and you’re just expected to do it.
Management are unprofessional and if they dislike you you’re time at the company will be awful. They’ll put you on awful shifts and make you do jobs that other members of staff don’t have to. They are power hungry and you often don’t get your break until 5-5 and a half hours through your shift, and if you ask for you break they deliberately give you a later one. They time you’re work and
  more... breathe down your neck to work faster and faster.
If you’re working the fill shift, they write times on your cages with impossible targets. Making you feel like you’re not good enough or not working hard enough. The job is very physically demanding, you’ll work your fingers to the bone and get no where.
Area and regional managers come into the store and deliberately intimidate members of staff, Such as asking why you and another member of staff are working on the same aisle. Often shaking their head at you and telling your manager to pull you up over something instead of speaking to you themselves.
You get one half an hour break for the whole shift, when you’re doing manual labour. You’re often pressured into staying over four hours past your shifts and resented and even told you will getting a notice of improvement if you don’t stay.
Stay away if you can! The staff make it bearable but not for long you end up dreading the thought of going to work and you end up with permenant back damage.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Absolutely awful work environment
Good Poductive fun working place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wrexham, Wrexham14 November 2018
I enjoyed my time here there was a few cons but its a job at the end of the day and most definitely not a hard one.
shifts were very short and quick, we have deadlines we had to meet and I enjoyed that side of it.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short hours not very flexible
Terrible Management and Disorganised
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Southport9 November 2018
Staff and customers are very friendly. Management is disorganised and horrible to work for. The work rota is put up a week before a shift, they don't ring you if your shift has changed, you have to sort it out yourself then get into trouble for not making your shift or coming in at a different time. The managers ensure that they are never responsible, they just discipline the staff for their mistakes and disorganisation. Other companies have apps or their rota is displayed weeks in advance which would reduce this.
Managers are generally very nice people, except the highest ranking managers, they use their role against the staff. I hurt my hand and was unable to go into work, so my dad rang in as i was in the hospital. I came into work after being at the hospital to show them my hand. Next week when i came into work they were more bothered about the fact that my dad rang in, they wouldn't listen to why i couldn't ring in. One of the managers (who i showed my hand to) accused me of lying and saying i never came into work to show my injury, when there were several people there would could corroborate this as she wasn't the only manager i showed my hand to on that day. This is the reason why i don't work at Home Bargains anymore.
I also have trouble with my hip and the managers wouldn't allow me to do other things for 10 minutes or so, just to move it around. They stuck me on a till for 4 hours straight until i got my break, then another 4 hours. Breaks are only 30 minutes long and it's the only break you get for the whole shift, even if your there for 10 hours. You aren't allowed
  more... to have a bottle of water with you on a till and if you need the toilet and there is no staff to take you off, then you have to keep your till open until you have a chance which could be an hour, 2 hours etc. Also, if your shift ends at 7 for example, you never get out at 7. You have to put the stock back from the tills and the back, which can take between 10 mins to an hour. You still get paid for the extra time, but this means you can't make arrangements as you never know what time you will actually finish work.
If you are 16, you get the lowest hourly pay. It increases when you turn 18 and again when your 21. Whereas other places have under 18's and over 18's. Everyone does the same job, but just because your older you get more money, which isn't fair.
Holidays aren't hard to get off, you have to submit your holiday form 4 weeks before your intended holiday. Most of the time, they are accepted, except for the months where most people go away like july and august. Holidays aren't allowed during December. Even though your booked down as being off for a holiday, they will still put you on the rota and potentially ring you up asking why your not there. The management is very disorganised with holidays and days off. You are also only allowed to be off sick for 2 days during the entire year and you are allowed 2 weeks of holidays a year.
Overall, the staff are very nice to work with and the customers are very friendly, but the managers aren't nice to work for.
Pros
Customers, staff
Cons
Long hours, management, disorganised, staying longer than intended.
Excellent
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beckton, Greater London7 November 2018
Great first job to start in the retail industry to build experience. has excellent benefits for example, hours are flexible and management is very good and friendly.
Pros
flexible
ok
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton5 November 2018
its very pressure filled environment with management under so much pressure staff most defiantly feel it to. long hours if on fill shift so don't expect to finish on time, hours vary from week to week but never nothing less than 20 hrs. can be a happy fun place to work m ost days but be warned its not a playground your there to work! breaks well they come different times everyday.
Great as first job but night shift made life balance bad
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow Auldhouse1 November 2018
Ok as first job but stay there for few years a big no. Management where away to young and had no idea how run the place.never done on time only one time power cut hit the store.

Night go on late and late and fill shift all boys i was only girl join the team why?.

I hate wait for rebuilding shift( night ) came home at bed time all day gone waiting for 4.30 night shift to start.

Till well there🎵☺we had old till no problem well pain😤all the time card machine give up till playing game with you till drawer not open for you and it going on.

That why i was part of the fill shift team (putting out delivery) lifting heavy box cause it was only shift i could get a life out of working there and only girl on that team.

I glad i moved on but set me up for an other job.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, bad running of store and it going on and on ........
Great staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Craigavon1 November 2018
Fun staff to work with and the management were great in the craigavon store
Constantly busy when working on the delivery shifts with 2 days off a week
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Short breaks on long shifts
productive and very good worplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire27 October 2018
the place was really nice and had a lot of people who really cared about the place which made it great to work there .The managers were very friendly and open up to the coworkers which made life better when working there.
Pros
long shift
Cons
stock count
Overall a good job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire25 October 2018
I enjoyed it when I knew everything but it was hard at first as I was nervous n didn’t ask for help when needed but the salary is good management are good unless it’s a bad day they run the place well
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Bad hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

Home Bargains Reviews by Location