Home Bargains Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Not a great company to work for
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stocksbridge11 December 2017
Shifts changed without notice, poor wages, younger fitter workers put on tills, while older workers expected to run around like footballers. Managers very young and patronising, often speaking to older adults as if they were naughty kids. Did not enjoy working here.
Pros
local
Cons
changing shifts, managers, late deliveries, workload targets
Colleagues are fine but managers cause problems and you get no social life
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thurrock6 December 2017
I was on tills constantly and never got to be on the shop floor and I felt I wasn't learning anything. The other store assistants were fine but the managers weren't at all. I found it hard to have a social life you wouldn't know what days you're doing the next week till Friday so I could never make plans. You'd get TOLD you're staying extra hours instead of asking and if you already got plans the manager tells you to cancel no matter what it is. I worked from 8am till 6pm and only got 30 min break I was told earlier in the day by a manager that I can leave at 6 but when it got to 6 the same manager told me to stay and put away and tidy! I would only recommend this sort of job to school leavers, I wouldn't go for this as a career choice.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Poor management
3 stars overall
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire24 November 2017
Loved working at home bargains, easy to get to know the role of your job and easy to get to know your colleagues in that environment. Had a really great experience.
Pros
Well mannered colleagues and loads of over time
Cons
Short breaks
Not to bad.
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Suffolk21 November 2017
This is my first job in retail and it has helped me learn a lot. I am comfortable now talking to people and using a till which at first i was really scared about using it. The contracts aren't great all part time unless you are in a red uniform which is management. Most of The management team have been great. Other than one who treats people like dirt and thinks shes better than everyone. But at every job theirs people like her. You do the same thing everyday. Which does get boring. Typical day would be filling shelves with stock, jumping on the till when the store is busy and ticket walking at the end of your shift. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people everyday and gaining a relationship with the customers. They are really tight on uniform though, I had 2 tops but now only one as its completely ruined and I've asked enough times for a new one and nothing ever happens. Overall its not a bad job for students or single parents.
Pros
10% Discount.
Cons
Contracts, Tight with uniform
friendly staff
Store Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Rushden20 November 2017
I quite enjoy my job the staff make it bearable as they can have a joke whilst getting on with the job as well. my only problem is the managers are very demanding as they expect us to get a lot done and were short staffed. we get out about 1000 boxes per shift but they say that is not enough
Pros
on a full shift you get a half hour break
Cons
some of the boxes are quite heavy which causes me to get tired easily.
Easy going
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aldridge13 October 2017
The company, staff and management are all friendly people and I enjoy interacting with those that work in my store, as long as you get your job done everyone is happy.
Great Summer job
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chadwell Heath, Greater London9 October 2017
Working as a part time sales assistant for Home Bargains is a great job to earn some money for the summer and a great way to gain experience in retail
very productive
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ripon, North Yorkshire9 October 2017
It was abit repetitive but all in all it was fun just felt like I needed a career change but I made some good friends and had a good time there bit after a year it was time to move on.
Pros
short shifts
Cons
not enough hours
Working there is appoling
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield.2 October 2017
They have not the best or high rating, the management hasn't given me any prospects and they don't value anything within the staff and they do not treat them correctly.
Pros
Nice Staff
Cons
Management was really bad.
good as a transition job
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chadderton13 September 2017
unsociable hours
hard to get breaks
management bombarded with unnecessary work
repetitive work
easy job, but very mentally draining
training done quickly
Pros
easy job
Cons
unable to take breaks sometimes
Fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester11 September 2017
I liked working here, the staff and customers were amazing to me, great friends towards me, loved working within teams with them all.
I had help within this workplace and the experience I got really helped me to achieve my working experience for future work in retail,
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Hour Ok
Not a great place to work
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire19 August 2017
Underpaid, no overtime pay (even though they sometimes FORCE you to work over your allocated hours) and the management team don't care about their staff. All the staff are constantly complaining.
Pros
Burger King close-by
Cons
Good shop but management is not good
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow15 August 2017
Rebuilt shifts ( 4.30 to 8:30) hate it .
Floor shifts (12:00 to 4:00)
fill shifts (8:00am to 12:00)

I like fill shift but keep u on rebuilt but say i can't do Rebuilt but no change.

Never done at shifts ends time never once.

Pay is bad ok if you have two job or your first one.

Management is bad don't understand other things go on in your life.

No sick pay take it as your holiday. They do at time pay SSP.
Pros
10% DISCOUNT that all.
Cons
Shift changeing, 15 mins break on 8 hour shift, don't care if you hurt yourself, list going on and on.....
Home Bargains
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich22 July 2017
A good place to work with a fairly relaxed atmosphere with friendly staff. lots of overtime opportunity and extra shifts especially at Christmas and Easter etc
Pros
Overtime
Cons
short shifts
enjoyable and fun
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire12 July 2017
I enjoyed this role because I was meeting different people everyday and I enjoyed helping customers with there shopping and making sure they would come again in to the store and making sure my till was clean and tidy all the time and making sure shelves are filled and making sure customers have a happy shop to find what they need all time
Pros
Cons
4 hours
Awful!!!
Store Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Llandudno, Conwy17 June 2017
Where to start? The management are horrendous, they have their favorites, talk behind your back, plot against those they don't like and patronize you. You get kept behind after hours, i was kept behind for 3 hours! The floor staff are nice. Some do loads of work while others doss.
Store Assistant
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chadderton, Greater Manchester13 June 2017
was okay to work here. Manager wasnt great at the time, wasnt reasonable but other staff members were lovely to work with and the job it self was not bad
awful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire7 June 2017
Worked there over summer whilst studying, the job isn't challenging yet the manger would patronize you. I could turn up for a shift, complete my task in under the time they wanted and they'd send me home i.e. I turned up, completed a task that they thought would take 3-4 hours in under one hour and got sent home, I had no car back then and due to this spent more money travelling to and from work, than I did making it on that particular shift. The assistant manger was great though.
It was verry unorganised
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stroud, UK5 June 2017
There were many managers comming in through day in and out from all diffrent places with lack of communication to what is being done / run with by the shop , not many people new what they were doing or who had done what around the store
Pros
2 weeks pay
Cons
really low money, unorganised
enjoyable
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend10 May 2017
respectable and fun company to work for, easy to get along with everyone and everyday is different. Staff are friendly and approachable and full training was given.
Pros
discount
Cons
sometimes long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8