Home Bargains Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Happy and fun enviroment
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway19 April 2018
Everyone was kind and helped me anyway they could and supported me when was struggling and I feel like I would be happy to work in such an environment
Pros
Discount
Awful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Bay, Cardiff8 April 2018
it was an OK place to work the management didn't treat there workers fairly and had there favourites and didn't care about the other members of staff not good.
Pros
Some nice staff
Cons
Unfair hours. Horrible managment
Good place to gain new skills
Retail/Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall5 April 2018
A typical day at Home Bargain, as a store assistant is very challenging and rewarding. I learned how to deal with all sorts of customers in a professional manner. The management was very supportive and understanding. The workplace culture was mixed which I really liked because I got to meet different sorts of cultures. The hardest part of the job would be to work in a cold environment but then I did get use to it. The part of my job which I really enjoyed was meeting and helping new and existing customers.
Okay place to work
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire4 April 2018
Job very secure not long hours 4 hour shifts mainly maximum of 20 hour contracts becomes very boring after a while not really any way of progressing cant make a living through the company unless you are supervisor assistant manager or manager of the store
Pros
secure job
Cons
not enough hours
Not Good For Young People
Store Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Bishop Auckland21 March 2018
If you're young be expected to only be working evening shifts, mainly on weekends, unless you specify the hours you are able to do. Also your shifts can be changed without you being told, so be sure to check the work rotor as often as you can. If working a late shift sometimes you can finish an hour after you are supposed to. Fine as a part time or weekend job, but wouldn't recommend. Our floor staff are dropping like flies for a reason.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Irregular shifts, hours can be longer than expected
Fun Workplace
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire18 March 2018
I enjoyed this job I enjoyed stacking the shelves and working in a team that I didn’t do before I really got on with the staff they were really friendly and I respect that.
Pros
Hours
Cons
No Cons
Great workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire14 March 2018
Everyone was friendly. Very fast paced unit but everyone was always smiling. Breaks were paid for which was a bonus and help was always at hand i would reccomend to anyone wanting a carrer change.
Pros
Breaks paid
Cons
Fast unit
Retail
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh5 March 2018
I loved this job I enjoyed stacking the shelves and working in a team that I didn’t do before I really got on with the staff they were really friendly and I respect that
Pros
Nope
Cons
6 hours
Not recommended
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen21 February 2018
Overall it seems a nice mainstream retail job, but when you start working you get to realise that upper management and management of stores might have NEVER worked as a retail assist. The shifts are four hours long and categorized in three: fill shift, first isle, and till. Now the till shift is what you're told at the interview that YOU MIGHT BE ASKED to stay a bit longer than the four hours. You're not asked. You're rather not allowed to leave after the four hours if delivery isn't finished, you're roughly told in the morning that you finish at some hour, but it's always longer. This is fill shift is what you wouldn't want to work. The cages are badly filled with the boxes to put out on shelves. They are heavy boxes, then lighter and smaller, then heavier and bigger, so in trials to take the heavy stuff off the cage everything falls (yes, on you). Then at this fill shift they also tell you you've got 45minutes for a cage, but they don't time it fair and you get told you're slow and not good. You're asked to make space for what you have in the boxes which means moving around everything that's on shelves than putting those stuff from the boxes. Also in fill shift they don't want 'overs', stuff that didn't fit on shelves, but you are not allowed to 'hide' that items behind other stuff so you literally spend around 10 minutes to move around on shelves until you get to put out those couple of stuff from your box. And that's what they don't count at timing.
The first isle shift is better as you still have cages to do but it's actually only four hours and you're supposed to keep
  more... that isle clean and tidy.
The till shifts are the best, you sit down at a till and arrange stuff around it.
You're mistreated by the way they speak to you and they way they try to sack you for not being fast enough.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Unfulfilling work, mistreated, looked down at
Fullfilling work environment
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bradford18 February 2018
Excellent place of work with great management and team members and a place that has a community feel to it. I learned that working as a team is vital as well as honesty and reliability is key.
Amazing for most part
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancaster18 February 2018
Working for the company is amazing for most part, however, if you are working full time mostly you don't just do weekdays sometimes I have to work all week. The pay is okay not amazing, mostly depends if you're management or just normal sales assistant and depends on you're age.
It could be better
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hereford7 February 2018
The staff aren't exactly the nicest, rumors get spread around the company fast. The main managers are nice however the lead sales roles aren't as understanding.
Not bad for a first job
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pontardawe, South Glamorgan3 February 2018
As a first job, Home Bargains is a good springboard into retail or the world of world in general. However, I would not recommend it as a career builder. Excellent for teens 16-18 as the wage is higher than minimum but very unfulfilling and repetitive.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Messed around a lot
Store Assistant
Wrekin Retail Park - Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Telford and Wrekin, Shropshire30 January 2018
Working as a store assistant i was working on the tills most days and some days onthe shop floor.

I learned the basics of retail work as i had never done retail work before and dealing with customers face to face.

The hardest part of the job was the awkward shifts working as per rota which were different almost everyday.
Fairly positive work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset7 January 2018
The job is a positive work place the people around you are very kind and help you out when you first start, the management is okay but the hours are not spread fairly.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Hours
Not a great company to work for
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stocksbridge11 December 2017
Shifts changed without notice, poor wages, younger fitter workers put on tills, while older workers expected to run around like footballers. Managers very young and patronising, often speaking to older adults as if they were naughty kids. Did not enjoy working here.
Pros
local
Cons
changing shifts, managers, late deliveries, workload targets
Colleagues are fine but managers cause problems and you get no social life
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thurrock6 December 2017
I was on tills constantly and never got to be on the shop floor and I felt I wasn't learning anything. The other store assistants were fine but the managers weren't at all. I found it hard to have a social life you wouldn't know what days you're doing the next week till Friday so I could never make plans. You'd get TOLD you're staying extra hours instead of asking and if you already got plans the manager tells you to cancel no matter what it is. I worked from 8am till 6pm and only got 30 min break I was told earlier in the day by a manager that I can leave at 6 but when it got to 6 the same manager told me to stay and put away and tidy! I would only recommend this sort of job to school leavers, I wouldn't go for this as a career choice.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Poor management
3 stars overall
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire24 November 2017
Loved working at home bargains, easy to get to know the role of your job and easy to get to know your colleagues in that environment. Had a really great experience.
Pros
Well mannered colleagues and loads of over time
Cons
Short breaks
friendly staff
Store Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Rushden20 November 2017
I quite enjoy my job the staff make it bearable as they can have a joke whilst getting on with the job as well. my only problem is the managers are very demanding as they expect us to get a lot done and were short staffed. we get out about 1000 boxes per shift but they say that is not enough
Pros
on a full shift you get a half hour break
Cons
some of the boxes are quite heavy which causes me to get tired easily.
Easy going
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aldridge13 October 2017
The company, staff and management are all friendly people and I enjoy interacting with those that work in my store, as long as you get your job done everyone is happy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

Home Bargains Reviews by Location