Home Bargains Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Nightmare
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Yorkshire15 October 2018
If you are considering a job here, don't bother, it's total chaos, there's never enough change in the tills, staff are friendly enough, but management all suffer from illusions of grandeur! The power has gone to their heads. They talk to staff like dirt and expect you to be respectful in response. Customers are local and regular and mostly friendly. Store could also do with a qualified security officer rather than expecting regular staff to act as security as well.
Pros
Clocking out and going home.
Cons
Pretty much everything.
fun, stressful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Congleton5 October 2018
the workers there are alright but the managers need to learn how to do things properly always messing dates up making you work stupid hours without breaks and making you stay there hours longer than you are suppose to
Pros
good money nice workers paid weekly
Cons
make you work longer than they said forget give you breaks
Terrible
retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Orpington17 September 2018
Worst place I ever worked treated me inhumanely and was more like a slave than part of the team, stock counting manually like school children in silence, was not impressed.
Pros
Cons
The whole franchise unless your a customer
not enjoyable but good first job
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton23 August 2018
worked here just after I finished school and I wouldn't go back again , managers talk down to you get spoken too rudely . the store I worked in was unorganised and no body knew how to deal with unfortunate circumstances very professionally
Pros
easy work
Cons
boring
Love retail, but not here
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prenton13 August 2018
Ok, I'm being honest, 3 stars is too nice.

Typical day at work is usual in any store.

Management never listened and the staff were so ignorant and rude and I did not feel part of the team whatsoever.
They all knew eachother and were friends but I felt so pushed away when I tried to talk to any of them.

I didn't work there long, two months. But these are my list of problems..

*They told me my shift would be 5-10
-ok, i had a 6 month old son so telling me these hours were essential for my babysitter. I wouldn't finish work until 12 (because of how slow the replenishing of stock was) sometimes just before and it really annoyed them as they were up so late and I wouldn't get to them until approx 12.45/1am.

*No hours
I was promised hours in my contract, this job was my only way of any income. I checked the rota to see I wasn't on it for two weeks, I informed the manager who said they would fix this. Three shifts later and three more times of mentioning, I wasn't on the rota still. I couldn't afford to be doing this and this was my reason for leaving.

*Staff
The staff never listened or helped when I needed it. I was new, it was a new place and I needed to know what I was doing, rather than standing around like an idiot, but they all seemed to dismiss me.
Pros
money
Cons
everything else
great workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Accrington, Lancashire7 August 2018
great workplace and I am grateful to have tried something new other than hairdressing. I really enjoyed helping and assisting customers and my other colleagues
Friendly, busy company
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh28 July 2018
Working here can be very busy and demanding as there are often strict deadlines to meet. However, this brings everyone together to work as a team and forces you to step your game up.

Managers are very friendly and approachable. This is a great company to work up the ladder of as the company is quickly growing and evolving. However, like all stores, there could often be a lack of communication between team leaders.

There are plenty of team members to train you and make work more efficient for you. However, staff was sometimes scarce due to the high student employment in the store and part-time members. This company is very flexible and great for students or people who want part-time roles.
Pros
Flexible; fast growing company
Cons
Demanding/pressured
The only upside to this job is the staff.
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bangor4 July 2018
Shifts aren't flexible, management take advantage. Getting time off is a hassle. There's no respect for staff. Everything is always micro-managed, management often complain about small conversations between staff even whilst working.
Pros
Pay is better than minimum, christmas parties are fairly good.
Cons
Poor shifts, bad atmosphere and relations with management.
Awful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire30 June 2018
4 hour contract but expected to work approx 10 over 2 days, but holiday pay remained 4 hrs/week. 1 weeks notice given on rota, so no opportunity to make plans. Overtime expected after store shut without checking that was able or how long it would be for. No warnings given, staff just sacked.
Pros
10% discount
Good company
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow24 June 2018
Good company , very tidy store working the tills , putting stock out when it’s quiet dealing with the public good management get a 10% staff discount
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough breaks
Enjoyable at most
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire6 June 2018
Typical day - Exhilarating
What I learned - Do not underestimate retail
Management - okay at best
Hardest part - maintaining balance between work and play
Pros
Good workforce
Cons
Lack of proper guidance
ok
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool5 June 2018
Home Bargains is a ok place to work as it can be a good fun environment. However there is times where work becomes repetitive. The work is easy to do and can be a good job at times.
decent job if desperate.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh2 June 2018
stated working here after been unemployed a few years.
read the reviews on indeed before starting here. wish I listened to what people said. probably worst job I've had.
Pros
discount. friendly staff.
Cons
long hours, poor management, under staffed, no social life
geat for customer interaction
Cashier / Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville, Hampshire14 May 2018
The work was very fast past and required good origination planning which wasn’t really delivered by the management team there. I felt there wasn’t enough experience or social skills within the management team which prevent the place form being a lot better place to work.
The job its self was good and I enjoyed the many different aspects of a sales assistant / cashier
Pros
worked around school hours
Cons
lack of exsperiance with floor mangement
Standard
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Essex27 April 2018
Not great management. Randomly changed my job role. Very fussy about covering shifts. Good for a start job. Tiring and Stressful. Good employees to work along with.
Pros
10% off
Happy and fun enviroment
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway19 April 2018
Everyone was kind and helped me anyway they could and supported me when was struggling and I feel like I would be happy to work in such an environment
Pros
Discount
Poor Management
Store Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton18 April 2018
Staff were not disciplined by management
Store Manager was very biased, she treated staff unfairly
staff were friendly, including certain members of management
management were stupidly informed of when head office staff were visiting, resulting in an extreme tidy of the shop to impress, instead of them seeing how the shop was really run.
Awful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Bay, Cardiff8 April 2018
it was an OK place to work the management didn't treat there workers fairly and had there favourites and didn't care about the other members of staff not good.
Pros
Some nice staff
Cons
Unfair hours. Horrible managment
Good place to gain new skills
Retail/Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall5 April 2018
A typical day at Home Bargain, as a store assistant is very challenging and rewarding. I learned how to deal with all sorts of customers in a professional manner. The management was very supportive and understanding. The workplace culture was mixed which I really liked because I got to meet different sorts of cultures. The hardest part of the job would be to work in a cold environment but then I did get use to it. The part of my job which I really enjoyed was meeting and helping new and existing customers.
Okay place to work
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire4 April 2018
Job very secure not long hours 4 hour shifts mainly maximum of 20 hour contracts becomes very boring after a while not really any way of progressing cant make a living through the company unless you are supervisor assistant manager or manager of the store
Pros
secure job
Cons
not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

Home Bargains Reviews by Location