Home Bargains Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

The only upside to this job is the staff.
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bangor4 July 2018
Shifts aren't flexible, management take advantage. Getting time off is a hassle. There's no respect for staff. Everything is always micro-managed, management often complain about small conversations between staff even whilst working.
Pros
Pay is better than minimum, christmas parties are fairly good.
Cons
Poor shifts, bad atmosphere and relations with management.
Awful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire30 June 2018
4 hour contract but expected to work approx 10 over 2 days, but holiday pay remained 4 hrs/week. 1 weeks notice given on rota, so no opportunity to make plans. Overtime expected after store shut without checking that was able or how long it would be for. No warnings given, staff just sacked.
Pros
10% discount
Good company
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow24 June 2018
Good company , very tidy store working the tills , putting stock out when it’s quiet dealing with the public good management get a 10% staff discount
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough breaks
ok
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool5 June 2018
Home Bargains is a ok place to work as it can be a good fun environment. However there is times where work becomes repetitive. The work is easy to do and can be a good job at times.
decent job if desperate.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh2 June 2018
stated working here after been unemployed a few years.
read the reviews on indeed before starting here. wish I listened to what people said. probably worst job I've had.
Pros
discount. friendly staff.
Cons
long hours, poor management, under staffed, no social life
geat for customer interaction
Cashier / Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville, Hampshire14 May 2018
The work was very fast past and required good origination planning which wasn’t really delivered by the management team there. I felt there wasn’t enough experience or social skills within the management team which prevent the place form being a lot better place to work.
The job its self was good and I enjoyed the many different aspects of a sales assistant / cashier
Pros
worked around school hours
Cons
lack of exsperiance with floor mangement
Standard
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Essex27 April 2018
Not great management. Randomly changed my job role. Very fussy about covering shifts. Good for a start job. Tiring and Stressful. Good employees to work along with.
Pros
10% off
Happy and fun enviroment
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway19 April 2018
Everyone was kind and helped me anyway they could and supported me when was struggling and I feel like I would be happy to work in such an environment
Pros
Discount
Poor Management
Store Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton18 April 2018
Staff were not disciplined by management
Store Manager was very biased, she treated staff unfairly
staff were friendly, including certain members of management
management were stupidly informed of when head office staff were visiting, resulting in an extreme tidy of the shop to impress, instead of them seeing how the shop was really run.
Awful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Bay, Cardiff8 April 2018
it was an OK place to work the management didn't treat there workers fairly and had there favourites and didn't care about the other members of staff not good.
Pros
Some nice staff
Cons
Unfair hours. Horrible managment
Good place to gain new skills
Retail/Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall5 April 2018
A typical day at Home Bargain, as a store assistant is very challenging and rewarding. I learned how to deal with all sorts of customers in a professional manner. The management was very supportive and understanding. The workplace culture was mixed which I really liked because I got to meet different sorts of cultures. The hardest part of the job would be to work in a cold environment but then I did get use to it. The part of my job which I really enjoyed was meeting and helping new and existing customers.
Okay place to work
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire4 April 2018
Job very secure not long hours 4 hour shifts mainly maximum of 20 hour contracts becomes very boring after a while not really any way of progressing cant make a living through the company unless you are supervisor assistant manager or manager of the store
Pros
secure job
Cons
not enough hours
Not Good For Young People
Store Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Bishop Auckland21 March 2018
If you're young be expected to only be working evening shifts, mainly on weekends, unless you specify the hours you are able to do. Also your shifts can be changed without you being told, so be sure to check the work rotor as often as you can. If working a late shift sometimes you can finish an hour after you are supposed to. Fine as a part time or weekend job, but wouldn't recommend. Our floor staff are dropping like flies for a reason.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Irregular shifts, hours can be longer than expected
Fun Workplace
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire18 March 2018
I enjoyed this job I enjoyed stacking the shelves and working in a team that I didn’t do before I really got on with the staff they were really friendly and I respect that.
Pros
Hours
Cons
No Cons
Great workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire14 March 2018
Everyone was friendly. Very fast paced unit but everyone was always smiling. Breaks were paid for which was a bonus and help was always at hand i would reccomend to anyone wanting a carrer change.
Pros
Breaks paid
Cons
Fast unit
Retail
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh5 March 2018
I loved this job I enjoyed stacking the shelves and working in a team that I didn’t do before I really got on with the staff they were really friendly and I respect that
Pros
Nope
Cons
6 hours
Not recommended
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen21 February 2018
Overall it seems a nice mainstream retail job, but when you start working you get to realise that upper management and management of stores might have NEVER worked as a retail assist. The shifts are four hours long and categorized in three: fill shift, first isle, and till. Now the till shift is what you're told at the interview that YOU MIGHT BE ASKED to stay a bit longer than the four hours. You're not asked. You're rather not allowed to leave after the four hours if delivery isn't finished, you're roughly told in the morning that you finish at some hour, but it's always longer. This is fill shift is what you wouldn't want to work. The cages are badly filled with the boxes to put out on shelves. They are heavy boxes, then lighter and smaller, then heavier and bigger, so in trials to take the heavy stuff off the cage everything falls (yes, on you). Then at this fill shift they also tell you you've got 45minutes for a cage, but they don't time it fair and you get told you're slow and not good. You're asked to make space for what you have in the boxes which means moving around everything that's on shelves than putting those stuff from the boxes. Also in fill shift they don't want 'overs', stuff that didn't fit on shelves, but you are not allowed to 'hide' that items behind other stuff so you literally spend around 10 minutes to move around on shelves until you get to put out those couple of stuff from your box. And that's what they don't count at timing.
The first isle shift is better as you still have cages to do but it's actually only four hours and you're supposed to keep
  more... that isle clean and tidy.
The till shifts are the best, you sit down at a till and arrange stuff around it.
You're mistreated by the way they speak to you and they way they try to sack you for not being fast enough.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Unfulfilling work, mistreated, looked down at
Fullfilling work environment
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bradford18 February 2018
Excellent place of work with great management and team members and a place that has a community feel to it. I learned that working as a team is vital as well as honesty and reliability is key.
Amazing for most part
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancaster18 February 2018
Working for the company is amazing for most part, however, if you are working full time mostly you don't just do weekdays sometimes I have to work all week. The pay is okay not amazing, mostly depends if you're management or just normal sales assistant and depends on you're age.
It could be better
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hereford7 February 2018
The staff aren't exactly the nicest, rumors get spread around the company fast. The main managers are nice however the lead sales roles aren't as understanding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

Home Bargains Reviews by Location