Home Bargains Employee Reviews for Customer Assistant

Started off fine...
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eastleigh4 October 2017
Been there a few months, really enjoyed It at first, got on well with my work colleagues and customers, however, management have always been terrible, rude, disrespectful and are constantly using favouritism.
Stock checks every few months are awful and not needed, but you can't get out of it, even if you have very valid reason's!
Everyone wears different uniforms, so customers are left confused, and constantly overstaffed to the point of people losing hours, so many people leave within only a few months, as they are made to feel replaceable.
Pros
Discount
Cons
management, stock checks
Not very inclusive
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellingborough, Northamptonshire23 April 2017
I was only taught how to work the till in my induction and on receiving the job, I got no further training; this meant I was restricted to only working the tills. When asked by my colleagues to help with another task, the managers would tell them to leave me on tills; and because of this I could sense jealousy and tension from other members of staff.
As someone who only worked weekends I found it difficult to integrate with other staff members. I once overheard all the staff talking about a work Christmas party that I had not previously known about. I wasn't really made to feel like part of the team. I feel like I wasn't really made to feel like part of the team.
Unorganised chaotic
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Straiton Loanhead27 February 2017
I worked at the Straiton branch for several years.... Managers are inexperienced, they take on the roll & turn into something like a Gastapo officer ... No talking,no laughing ,no toilet breaks, no leaving your isle even to show customers to their desired item! No talking to customers for more than 1 minute, no going to get prices... Now it's just as well that I am tough because many a time there would be confrontation between the management & myself ,& I spoke my mind so I was left to do what I was paid to do but I witnessed bullying & abuse from management to other members of staff.... The management team would try & get people paranoid about Area & regional manager's telling people they would sack anyone who put a foot wrong getting people to sign pieces of paper agreeing to "behave" ... Oh I could go on & on... I left there last year ,& in all my years of working it has to be one of the worst jobs I've ever had, my colleagues were brilliant but management were just imature, inexperienced, lacked in skills & deplomocy .... I think they forget it's a discount store...
Pros
The friends I made
Cons
Your constantly monitored on CCTV
Depressing,
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coulby Newham23 February 2017
I've now worked here twice and all i can say is i dreaded going to work every day, floor staff are absolutely brilliant, easy to get on with and some of the nicest people you could ever meet but the management are horrible. would not recommend it for anyone
Good experience, But a lot of work.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes2 December 2016
The typical day at Home Bargains is a hard working job. You would be expected to work long hours with only little breaks, its a fun place to work where you get to meet new people everyday. You also get to work with colleagues that will respect and appreciate you. You gain a lot of experience in terms of dealing with the public and getting to grips with that it like to live in the real world. Managers on the other hand do rebuilding and jobs like taking query's, but other times you get them walking around doing nothing and there is no reason why we cant do we they do ourselves without a little training. Managers are helpful but do not really do much but still get benefits for example if the store does well, they could get £50 bonus for the staff members like myself for putting the stock out. Staff benefits are non existent. Hardest part of the job is when the managers pressure you to do ages in a non impossible time and the company expect a lot more then you can produce. The job can be enjoyable because all the other workers are friendly. The public are generally friendly. If you do well you can go into a draw to win prizes for good customer service.
Pros
Weekly Pay, Great experience
Cons
Long, Long hours, Managers expect more then we can do
Poor management
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salford8 November 2016
Management needs to be improved. Breaks need to be made aware for those who work longer than 4 hours. Need to follow contracts more carefully. Allow staff to go on time.
Pros
Half hour breaks
Cons
Unpaid breaks
Great first place to work
Assisting customers required me (Former Employee) –  Bury3 October 2016
Gave me experience within the work place while allowing me to study. I enjoyed working on each different department on the shop floor.
fun to work for
Customer and Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Workington9 September 2016
Very fun everybody who worked there at the time was very pleasant which didn't make it feel like work! ideal for anyone while there are going through education a nice little weekend job
Pros
great team very friendly
a typical day at work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northamptonshire22 April 2016
staff do not work as a team and its just a boring day at work apart from that it was a job and they don't treat every one with respect
Fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Romford28 February 2016
fast paced working environment, great staff, management was alright, salary was not great but does go up and decently secure job overal
Good for weekend work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT28 January 2016
Friendly people to work with, comfortable invironment, lovely managers, reccommended job for part time weekend work or part time work for students
was good but turned bad
Customer Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dewsbury, ENG31 October 2014
i enjoyed working at home bargains early on plenty of hours great management excellent staff all the work would be done in time really great place to work but then management changed everyone was back biting about one another no work got done hours got cut down really badly management were non responsive wanted you to work like slaves no thanks or appreciation registered
Pros
non
Cons
low hours management would wear you out with workload
Okay, Good first job
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, ENG12 September 2014
The management at my home bargains were awful. The lead manager gave us no freedom and it was almost like being back in school, infact even worse.
If you're looking for a first job in retail to gain experience, Like I was, This is perfect because after 6 months you can leave and find a much better job as believe me they take almost everyone.
Pros
Good for students and first jobs
Cons
Hard to get holidays, Not respectable managers, no say in what you want to do.
Fun Workplace
Seasonal Customer Sales Assistant - (Former Employee) –  Ripon, ENG7 September 2014
I really enjoyed working at Home Bargains in ripon as it was a very fast paced and friendly enviroment with very fair and deligent managers and members of staff.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
nil
not great
customer assistant (Former Employee) –  scunthorpe7 May 2014
Management not great staff were not always treat with respect
Overall
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oswestry, ENG11 February 2014
Hard work, constantly busy but this only meant you were kept busy so the days went faster.