Home Bargains Employee Reviews in Liverpool

Excellent for opportunities
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool19 November 2017
This company is amazing for anyone looking for a new challenge as there is always room for higher opportunities within the company. Really good pay and have learned a lot of skills from working here.
Pros
Opportunities to go higher
Cons
Some managers are awful to work for
Productive working place allows you too express yourself.
Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside19 October 2017
Home bargains is a family run business, they have a well intergrated working environment which allows your to be yourself and have fun, They're expectations can be quite demanding conserdering the pay, overall great company.
Pros
Family run business, owners take care and show affection for their workers i.e. Free Christmas party and family fun days.
Cons
Long hours, payment scheme, don't get paid for overtime if your salary.
Not much variety in shifts
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside18 October 2017
The job is ok, but there's not much variety in the shifts that you do. You get stuck doing the same jobs day in, day out. It gets really boring. Staff are really friendly but management can be moody when they want.
Pros
Good pay, friendly staff
Cons
No variety in shifts, ignorant management.
loader
Loader (Former Employee) –  Liverpool19 September 2017
I was picker and packer. Lader and packer is little by heavy job, because you have to lift a lot. Staff in warehouse is no bad. great organisations you know what for you get in.
Office Politics
HGV Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Liverpool17 May 2017
If you can get past the Office politics and the small blue eyed clieche you will have an easy time.
If you fit in you will do just fine here.

Normal day at the moment is go in sit around wait for load
do your run and sit around for your next run .. oh BTW the wait is some times up-to 3 hours.

Get Netflix you will be watching your phone / tablet a lot.

The sickness scheme doesnt exist. Any genuine time of sickness or compassionate leave off work goes against you and the company threaten you with disciplinary action.
Pros
Erm they have free water
Cons
Long shifts with no Pay increase to compensate
Not a bad part time job, great company just poor store managers
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside4 May 2017
The store can be a really stressful place to work, mangers are very forceful of working extra hours etc. They expect a lot of staff that aren't paid as well as them for the hours they put in and can be less than understanding that part time employees also have a life. I worked under 4 different managers during my time and all of them where of the same thinking. However every other store assistant or member of staff I worked with were some of the loveliest people and made the day bearable.
Pros
Discount (10%)
Cons
Long Hours stressful place
Friendly staff and great working environment
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside2 May 2017
Working in Home Bargains is great. It is so easy to get along with everyone as they are all great and warm welcoming people. As for the working environment, this is great as even when maintaining professionalism during working hours, the staff and management never fail to show respect to other staff members and customers around them.
Cons
Not allowed to buy food during breaks
its ok to work for
Lead Sales (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, UK25 April 2017
have good an bad days but what job doesnt management are good with hours,holidays etc when required. just some weeks u get part time hours an others full time so cant really say on an actual wage each week but r flexible if u have children.
management jobs best advice is to make sure u get ur proper training whereas i didnt an resulted to stepping back down which was a shame coz i enjoyed the work but not the stress has i didnt know the procedures due to lack of training.
Pros
good opportunity has a first job to get to know how things work etc
Cons
not many hours are offered depending on the size of the stores
Class 1 driver (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside10 March 2017
Some of the views on this website with regard to this company are completely wide of the mark. I have found working for home bargains an absolute pleasure , yes it's hard work but the salary reflects this and is amongst the best in the industry. Work life balance is as good as it gets for a class 1 driver with average working days lasting around 10 hours and sometimes less.
I work a 5 on 3 off shifts pattern so get plenty of time at home with the family and for the first time in years working on class 1 I can pursue hobbies and interests that are out of the question for most drivers working 15 and 13 hour shifts.
The kit provided is spot on and the training and development given to drivers is excellent, the company has high standards and in my opinion this is to be commended. I would certainly recommend them and would advise the reader to take a balanced view of the reviews on here much the same as I did before I applied and remember there will always be lazy whingeing people who simply don't want to work for their money.
Pros
Staff Gym, camper vans, footbal boxes 10 percent discount.........
Cons
Heavy cages sometimes
it was somewhat ok
Store assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool19 November 2016
Most staff were friendly but some managers took their job too seriously and took it out on staff members unfortunately.
co workers were brilliant an nice to get a long with, i did get my confidence up from this job.
Stay Away!!!
HGV Class 1 Driver (former driver) (Former Employee) –  Liverpool9 September 2016
This company is seriously one of the worst driving jobs out there in my opinion, the work is very hard and the new man in charge is constantly pushing for more.
The money isn't that bad but that's simply because they can't keep drivers but you will be working 5 weekends out of 8, they also work your average hours out on a 5 on 2 off so your average hours always look way below what they really are.
I've also just had a look at one of the new contracts from a guy I know and they are now going to bank hours and make them payable back to the company and also annualise hours.
Be also prepared for constant delays as the wearhouse are behind most times, 16.5 hours sat in the office waiting for loads in 5 shifts just before I left was horrendous.
This company is also run on victimisation and bullying from the very top to the very bottom so please be aware.
I've also been shown evidence that the shunters have been put on 4 on 4 off and money put up to the same as the drivers through a deal set up by 2 of the union reps who you can guess.... Are shunters.
Pros
Walking out the building
Cons
Walking in the building
Friendly and positive work place
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool20 June 2016
I enjoyed working for this company as I faced daily challenges and was able to grow and become more confident in my role. Me and my co-workers worked together as part of a team to successfully complete tasks this made the work place enjoyable.
Awful management. Awful everything
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool31 May 2016
Worked in two different stores over the span of two years, with both being as bad as each other. An alright little part time job for money,
but if you have any other commitments in life, this is the worst place possible to work. Contracted hours basically mean nothing, 12 hours becomes 24 and your not allowed to bat an eye. Constantly bombarded with additional shifts on my days off, which they just expect you to be able to work by the way.

Avoid fill shift at all costs, its literally the worst thing possible. I can't count the amount of times I came to work, only to be told to come back in 3 hours, because there was no delivery. Even when you are stacking shelves, you will be constantly harassed by management for being to slow, even though your cage is the size of Mount Everest. Very rarely, if ever, got given my break on time. I often had to be there for 6ish hours before they even offered me one, absolute slave labour. Management are beyond awful, only caring about themselves and their bonuses, god forbid you ask them for a favour or a shift change. Despite asking to be given my contracted hours, I was constantly rebuked and told it wasn't possible.

The only good thing about this place is the other people working there, who hate it as much as you do. I guarantee you will spend half of your shifts debating whether or not you should apply to the Tesco next door.

Oh and by the way, you're just expected to do a stock take every 12 weeks, so have fun with that 14 hour shift and taxi home at 1am (which they make you pay).
Pros
Staff are the only redeeming factor. Also get a few cute animals come in every now again, always nice to see
Cons
Nothing, apart from the staff and occasional pet dog.
Prisoner
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool12 May 2016
If you want to lose your dignity and life, then this is the place for you. Management are amateurs they only care about money instead of there staff. There's no common sense within the company.
Pros
Home time
Cons
Bad management. Unrealistic goals.
really low

5.i havent got hardset part of the job

6.the most enjoyable part of my job is good done work and wht they ask for
It's great but....
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool12 March 2016
Good stable job, set hours and set contract.
Early starts, early finish for the most part.
Management are okay, depending on where you are and how they view you as a staff member.
Co workers are the back bone of the company, very under appreciated but the staff are generally the best part about the place, most of my better friends now I have met from working all over Liverpool stores
Pros
Hours always available. Contract.
Cons
Management are lazy. Expect the absolute impossible of staff.
Not a fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool17 February 2016
I would never go back there
Hardly no lunch break only half hour after doing a 8 hour shift
My co workers where nice hard working people
Pros
Cons
Long hours no breaks
meanest company to wok for
sales assistant (Current Employee) –  liverpool24 December 2015
What can i say, the most uncaring, thoughtless company i have ever worked for. area/regional management are like robots not one ounce of humanity in them, tj morris have brainwashed them to ensure they treat store management, and general staff like naughty school children who have no home family or any form of life outside the store.

They come in randomely and beat out any kind of motivation you have gained, constant threats to the jobs of the fill shift, which only today....christmas eve have the fill shift who often work from 3pm to as late as 2am with just half hour break..just been told they either speed up or will face dismissal in the new year..what a wonderful way to motivate your staff.

tj morris and its cult of area managers are the worst most evil uncaring bunch of selfish people i have ever worked for,

Only team work is from the sales assistants, Management and lead sales just want to walk round looking important,
We the sales assistants have to face miserable annoying customers, having to call management for voids, change, perfume, returns, which on many occasions takes more than one call for, end result is that customers get annoyed with the till staff only,

Plain and simple fact is that tj morris, do not and will never care about the frontline staff and their social lives, we are expected to give them priority over our family friends and health, the ones that work their behinds off for just over minimum wage.

All this while t,j, morris sit in their luxury home in woolton, while the staff are forced to work xmas eve, boxing day, new years eve
  more... and new years day  less
Pros
better than being on dole
Cons
badly treated, badly managed
No Life In Home Bargains
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, ENG9 November 2015
Home Bargains is one of the worst places i have work in my entire life. The management team is some of the most laziest two faced people who i have ever had the unmistakable pleasure of working with.

Every little thing you do is a crime in that place from going the toilet to actually doing your job...your own BLOODY job. The hours are extremely long for the 8 hour contract they sign you in for, I once worked 13 and a half hour shifts for a week, with no breaks (which i will cover in a sec) surly that is 100% illegal. Now as for the breaks you get none, you have to beg your manger to have one the same with change on a till you have to beg for it otherwise you will be out of money and who does the manager blame if that happens...You...no of course it isn't them it is never their fault even though you have been calling them to come down to the tills for the past 30/45 minutes and they have been stuck in the back making cups of tea and coffee while stuffing their face while the actual staff break our backs and jump through hoops for someone who probably hasn't done nothing all day.

You don't get any sick pay, or holiday pay, or any time and a half, the stock takes start at 4pm and last until 3am and they want you to pay for your own ride home to be back in the store by 6:30am and if you stand up for yourself you can kiss that job goodbye, speak to your colleagues then goodbye job, and run out of money on the till then yep you guessed it goodbye job. Don't get me started on how you need to shout for a manger to void stuff off, it is like getting their permission what store
  more... doesn't trust the people they hired to void off stock that the customer doesn't want.

The managers all have their favorites, i am not one of them because i don things like they should, but the favorites get to leave at the right time when their shifts ends, gets to go the toilet, gets to have holidays and holiday forms, talk to staff and of course do feck all or very little work.

I wouldn't recommendthis store or job for anyone and look for work anywhere else.

rating -20/10
Pros
Cons
Long shifts, No extra pay, lazy management, treated like a 5 year old, no breaks.
Overall ok
Lead sales (Former Employee) –  Breck rd liverpool21 July 2015
Overall the company is a good company and the owner does a lot for the staff it is minimum wage but a r a lot of places I worked in breck rd and the job was easy to do staff were lovely but if only the owner new how the manager run the shop it was pathetic in there
Pros
Free Christmas parties and summer fair
Cons
Manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8