Home Bargains Employee Reviews in Liverpool

Rubbish company to work for...
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside20 February 2018
You should have a look at the Q&A section here to see about, 'hours worked' and 'company culture'.

There is no company sick pay, and you get 20 holiday days/year. You are entitled to a 30 minute break/day. You are also ‘encouraged’ to sign a waiver to the EU Working Time Directive.

Management are under constant pressure to have the store fully restocked daily. There is a central warehouse delivery daily. Each cage needs to be unloaded and merchandised. This task is carried out by the ‘fill shift’. Theoretically, fill shift should last 4 hours, but rarely does, and up to 8 hours isn’t extraordinary. You normally have to keep staff on till the job is finished often on same day notice. This is tough to manage, and tough on the staff too who have no idea when they are getting home, so can’t really plan a life.

Management are involved in sorting cages out in the store warehouse in departmental sections, and dragging them on to sales floor, so no need for expensive gym membership fees as you’ll get all the exercise you’ll ever need. The pressure is constant as obviously it needs to be finished every day, as there is a new delivery tomorrow.

There are no planograms, so it is up to the fill shift initially to merchandise stock, new & replenishment, in a neat coherent manner. If sections are full to overflowing, it takes time to spread stock out and create space. Area managers will very kindly critique such efforts as a matter of routine, and point out where you went wrong, then photograph it to shame you with the rest of their ‘area’, it’s a great team builder as everyone
  more... is ridiculed, and you'll all have a good laugh at each other.

Staffing is absolutely paired to beyond the bone. You are always in a state of being ‘short staffed’ putting pressure on all members of the team, and will never have enough to achieve all the daily tasks demanded of you. (The exception are the Liverpool training boot camp stores, which are dripping in additional ‘red shirts’)

Store Manager in Home Bargains is equivalent to a supervisor in other retailers, you have little autonomy, 95% time is spent on the sales floor, and you can’t even order a new safety knife for opening deliveries without the area manager’s permission. The majority of Home Bargains store management are young, in their 20s, without the maturity & people skills that come with age and experience; hence ‘harassment’ type behaviour is common.

If you’re young, and this is one of your first jobs, you’ll probably think it’s OK with nothing to compare it to. But if you’ve had proper management jobs before, you will be very disappointed indeed.
Pros
Distinctive red uniform, but wash separately – colour runs faster than Mo Farah LOL
Cons
More stress than herding a pack of wild cats...
Friendly Enviroment
Goods In Operative (Current Employee) –  Liverpool3 February 2018
All workers are very friendly and polite. There is cantene for all employee. they are serving breakfast and lunches. Company is located close to the bus stop, and big homebargains store.
Home Bargain
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool21 January 2018
The members of staff are great, you get along with everyone and they make work more fun. The job itself isn't bad however one of the Home Bargain in Liverpool is awful, the way you get treated is an absolute joke, the managers are meant to lead by example but they don't even know their job. Would never work in the same store again and probably for the company.
Cons
Managers, breaks, hours.
Nonfun workplace
Loader/Unloader (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside3 January 2018
The hardest part of this place is My work , loading, is very hard job But i’m not happy with My wages . Normaly the supervisors is Ok But under pressure i can’t regonize .
Cons
Longs Hours
Nice staff to talk too , along with good working hours
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Liverpool15 December 2017
Due to starting sixth form I struggled balancing work along with school hence why I started assisting in teaching as I am staying in the same environment , finish at normal school hours and enjoy the environment.
Excellent for opportunities
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool19 November 2017
This company is amazing for anyone looking for a new challenge as there is always room for higher opportunities within the company. Really good pay and have learned a lot of skills from working here.
Pros
Opportunities to go higher
Cons
Some managers are awful to work for
Productive working place allows you too express yourself.
Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside19 October 2017
Home bargains is a family run business, they have a well intergrated working environment which allows your to be yourself and have fun, They're expectations can be quite demanding conserdering the pay, overall great company.
Pros
Family run business, owners take care and show affection for their workers i.e. Free Christmas party and family fun days.
Cons
Long hours, payment scheme, don't get paid for overtime if your salary.
Not much variety in shifts
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside18 October 2017
The job is ok, but there's not much variety in the shifts that you do. You get stuck doing the same jobs day in, day out. It gets really boring. Staff are really friendly but management can be moody when they want.
Pros
Good pay, friendly staff
Cons
No variety in shifts, ignorant management.
loader
Loader (Former Employee) –  Liverpool19 September 2017
I was picker and packer. Lader and packer is little by heavy job, because you have to lift a lot. Staff in warehouse is no bad. great organisations you know what for you get in.
Office Politics
HGV Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Liverpool17 May 2017
If you can get past the Office politics and the small blue eyed clieche you will have an easy time.
If you fit in you will do just fine here.

Normal day at the moment is go in sit around wait for load
do your run and sit around for your next run .. oh BTW the wait is some times up-to 3 hours.

Get Netflix you will be watching your phone / tablet a lot.

The sickness scheme doesnt exist. Any genuine time of sickness or compassionate leave off work goes against you and the company threaten you with disciplinary action.
Pros
Erm they have free water
Cons
Long shifts with no Pay increase to compensate
Not a bad part time job, great company just poor store managers
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside4 May 2017
The store can be a really stressful place to work, mangers are very forceful of working extra hours etc. They expect a lot of staff that aren't paid as well as them for the hours they put in and can be less than understanding that part time employees also have a life. I worked under 4 different managers during my time and all of them where of the same thinking. However every other store assistant or member of staff I worked with were some of the loveliest people and made the day bearable.
Pros
Discount (10%)
Cons
Long Hours stressful place
Friendly staff and great working environment
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside2 May 2017
Working in Home Bargains is great. It is so easy to get along with everyone as they are all great and warm welcoming people. As for the working environment, this is great as even when maintaining professionalism during working hours, the staff and management never fail to show respect to other staff members and customers around them.
Cons
Not allowed to buy food during breaks
its ok to work for
Lead Sales (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, UK25 April 2017
have good an bad days but what job doesnt management are good with hours,holidays etc when required. just some weeks u get part time hours an others full time so cant really say on an actual wage each week but r flexible if u have children.
management jobs best advice is to make sure u get ur proper training whereas i didnt an resulted to stepping back down which was a shame coz i enjoyed the work but not the stress has i didnt know the procedures due to lack of training.
Pros
good opportunity has a first job to get to know how things work etc
Cons
not many hours are offered depending on the size of the stores
Class 1 driver (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside10 March 2017
Some of the views on this website with regard to this company are completely wide of the mark. I have found working for home bargains an absolute pleasure , yes it's hard work but the salary reflects this and is amongst the best in the industry. Work life balance is as good as it gets for a class 1 driver with average working days lasting around 10 hours and sometimes less.
I work a 5 on 3 off shifts pattern so get plenty of time at home with the family and for the first time in years working on class 1 I can pursue hobbies and interests that are out of the question for most drivers working 15 and 13 hour shifts.
The kit provided is spot on and the training and development given to drivers is excellent, the company has high standards and in my opinion this is to be commended. I would certainly recommend them and would advise the reader to take a balanced view of the reviews on here much the same as I did before I applied and remember there will always be lazy whingeing people who simply don't want to work for their money.
Pros
Staff Gym, camper vans, footbal boxes 10 percent discount.........
Cons
Heavy cages sometimes
it was somewhat ok
Store assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool19 November 2016
Most staff were friendly but some managers took their job too seriously and took it out on staff members unfortunately.
co workers were brilliant an nice to get a long with, i did get my confidence up from this job.
Stay Away!!!
HGV Class 1 Driver (former driver) (Former Employee) –  Liverpool9 September 2016
This company is seriously one of the worst driving jobs out there in my opinion, the work is very hard and the new man in charge is constantly pushing for more.
The money isn't that bad but that's simply because they can't keep drivers but you will be working 5 weekends out of 8, they also work your average hours out on a 5 on 2 off so your average hours always look way below what they really are.
I've also just had a look at one of the new contracts from a guy I know and they are now going to bank hours and make them payable back to the company and also annualise hours.
Be also prepared for constant delays as the wearhouse are behind most times, 16.5 hours sat in the office waiting for loads in 5 shifts just before I left was horrendous.
This company is also run on victimisation and bullying from the very top to the very bottom so please be aware.
I've also been shown evidence that the shunters have been put on 4 on 4 off and money put up to the same as the drivers through a deal set up by 2 of the union reps who you can guess.... Are shunters.
Pros
Walking out the building
Cons
Walking in the building
Friendly and positive work place
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool20 June 2016
I enjoyed working for this company as I faced daily challenges and was able to grow and become more confident in my role. Me and my co-workers worked together as part of a team to successfully complete tasks this made the work place enjoyable.
Awful management. Awful everything
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool31 May 2016
Worked in two different stores over the span of two years, with both being as bad as each other. An alright little part time job for money,
but if you have any other commitments in life, this is the worst place possible to work. Contracted hours basically mean nothing, 12 hours becomes 24 and your not allowed to bat an eye. Constantly bombarded with additional shifts on my days off, which they just expect you to be able to work by the way.

Avoid fill shift at all costs, its literally the worst thing possible. I can't count the amount of times I came to work, only to be told to come back in 3 hours, because there was no delivery. Even when you are stacking shelves, you will be constantly harassed by management for being to slow, even though your cage is the size of Mount Everest. Very rarely, if ever, got given my break on time. I often had to be there for 6ish hours before they even offered me one, absolute slave labour. Management are beyond awful, only caring about themselves and their bonuses, god forbid you ask them for a favour or a shift change. Despite asking to be given my contracted hours, I was constantly rebuked and told it wasn't possible.

The only good thing about this place is the other people working there, who hate it as much as you do. I guarantee you will spend half of your shifts debating whether or not you should apply to the Tesco next door.

Oh and by the way, you're just expected to do a stock take every 12 weeks, so have fun with that 14 hour shift and taxi home at 1am (which they make you pay).
Pros
Staff are the only redeeming factor. Also get a few cute animals come in every now again, always nice to see
Cons
Nothing, apart from the staff and occasional pet dog.
Prisoner
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool12 May 2016
If you want to lose your dignity and life, then this is the place for you. Management are amateurs they only care about money instead of there staff. There's no common sense within the company.
Pros
Home time
Cons
Bad management. Unrealistic goals.
really low
FLT Driver (Current Employee) –  Liverpool26 April 2016
1.work on 8 hour full time work FLT driver loading and unloading commodity

2. obtained a licence FLT driver he took a years teaching experience

3. managment is really bad

4.the work with co-workers i hard and those people cant work in groups

5.i havent got hardset part of the job

6.the most enjoyable part of my job is good done work and wht they ask for

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.