Home Bargains Employee Reviews

bad management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundee, Dundee City19 September 2018
management treat you baldly and give you unrealistic times to finish the stock shift. the shifts are supposed to be fours hours long and you can kept on without warning for an extra three hours.
Pros
4 hour shifts
Cons
bad management, kept longer upto an extra 3 hours
Atrocious management and poor environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beckton, Greater London18 September 2018
The management is the reason why I left this place. They treat you like dirt while they stand about talking to all the managers and don't do anything. They make you do ridiculous long hours at 6am and don't let you leave until 12 or 1pm.

Breaks are every 4 hours and they only give you a 30 minute break which is absolutely ridiculous. They literally make you do labour work for 4 hours straight and don't care if you have hurt yourself or cut yourself. They are also extremely vague and bossy.

DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU HAVE ANY DIGNITY AND SELF-WORTH. As I said before, they treat you like dirt and make you work long hours. And even after all this they don't even pay you properly. The salary for me was only £6.60 because I was 19-21. Even though this was my first actual job, I left it after a working there for 4 weeks. They make you do so many hours on your first week because they don't even pay you for your first week!

It is the worst place to work in.
Pros
10% store discount
Cons
No breaks, labour work, low pay, disgusting management, poor working environment
Terrible
retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Orpington17 September 2018
Worst place I ever worked treated me inhumanely and was more like a slave than part of the team, stock counting manually like school children in silence, was not impressed.
Pros
Cons
The whole franchise unless your a customer
Fizyczna praca, lecz dająca możliwość rozwoju
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Merseyside13 September 2018
Całkiem dobra praca, zero stresu, nadgodziny, system zmianowy
Pros
Zarobki
Avoid at all costs
Lead sales manager (Current Employee) –  Basildon8 September 2018
unless youre willing to suck up to the bosses and step on everyone around you to get to the top this isn't the place for you.
No appreciation for what you do for your store or the company, constant messages regarding work when not on your shift that you have to pay attention to and respond is not worth the £8.46 an hour pay.
Stressful environment that needs to be sorted
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London8 September 2018
busy fun environment with friendly staff.
the checkouts are very busy at peak hours so this means fast scanning of items so customers not waiting around for a long .
any more than 3 customers in the que announce for extra member of staff to report to the tills.
Pros
10% discount within ONLY in the shop you work i.
Productive workplace. Good for those starting work life, as there are a lot of part time jobs available.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Craigavon, County Armagh5 September 2018
The job gave sufficient satisfaction from its flexibility. The rota was designed in such a way as to make ones daily work routine less predictable, as one day you could find yourself assigned as a till op, then another on a specific aisle.
Fun and sociable place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peasley Cross, St Helens5 September 2018
The company overall is excellent, each year they host a Christmas party for employees who have been working in the company for over one year. As well as this they host a family fun day where employees can invite up to three family members to attend with them.

However, the management in the store that i worked in seemed to enjoy bullying sales assistants and some lower members of management. It appeared to be that anyone who did not fit into the 'clique' or stood up for themselves when being unfairly treated would be targeted and bullied out of the store. Certain members of management would make an agreement to collect evidence against one specific person in an attempt to get them fired.

Most of the other sales assistants and some members of management were really friendly and funny which made the shifts more enjoyable, it's just a shame that a small minority had to ruin such a fun working place.
Pros
Great customers, short shifts and fair pay.
Cons
Unfairly treated and bullied by management
Takes over your life
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 September 2018
I enjoy my time with Home Bargains in the main, but you never have enough time to complete more than 50% of the tasks you're given without cutting corners.
Work/life balance ridiculous! often 60 hour weeks, constant contact, regardless of days off, holidays or supposed downtime.
Pay isn't bad on paper, but by the time you've put in the extra hours you have to, you're lucky if you get living wage.
There is a culture of bullying.
When you have to get people to do ridiculous things, and ridiculous hours and timescales, often late nights and at times you want to be with your family - and for no extra pay - you generally have to threaten people to get it done, which they do!
Part of me would miss it if I left, a lot of me wouldn't.
as with most things, your colleagues make it.
Pros
Bonuses - if youre lucky enough to hit them
Cons
Long hours, often for free and treated like dirt
friendly working environment and good hours
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool28 August 2018
for a first job it's really good everyone who works there is extremely friendly and nice. the hours are very good. really good hours and they can work around you education if you are still in education
Pros
10% discont on shopping paid day out in summer and there a big Christmas party
Cons
can be very busy and can be stressful around chirstmas
Would not recommend the company to anyone
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead, Merseyside28 August 2018
Asides from the amazing friends i made here my entire experience of home bargains was horrendous. It's filled with systematic bullying from area managers and store managers alike, and if you rise to it it'll only get worse for you. Managers cut your hours down if they have a personal problem with you or as punishment. At first i thought the pay was good but for the conditions i had to deal with they couldve paid me £10 an hour and i would've still quit. Managers can get away with murder, had one at my shop that would be on her phone all the time on the shop floor and never had any disciplinary but someone i was friends with got a first warning for having their phone out, funny that. The managers would always act like they were doing you a favour for the most basic things; i.e letting you go for your break, approving your holiday time etc etc like oooh thank you for following the law?? Oh and they'll find any excuse to not give you your holiday pay when you inevitably quit. All in all the only positives from my experience there was the friends i made from it, the horror stories i can tell at parties of the place and the staff discount.
Pros
Staff discount, how any other job seems like heaven in comparison, friendly staff
Cons
Management, cliques, everything else
Busy Workplace that keeps you on you toes
Lead Sales (Current Employee) –  Govan27 August 2018
Home Bargains offers secure employment as long as you are willing to put the work in. The company offer a lot of opportunities to progress your career within the company, most in store management positions go to staff who have been with the company for a while. it does have its flaws but overall it is better than most of its competitors.
Cons
Long Hours for Management
not enjoyable but good first job
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton23 August 2018
worked here just after I finished school and I wouldn't go back again , managers talk down to you get spoken too rudely . the store I worked in was unorganised and no body knew how to deal with unfortunate circumstances very professionally
Pros
easy work
Cons
boring
Not the best.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackwood21 August 2018
I started here years ago and helped build the brand new store from scratch, along with many other people... only to find out the following month that I was no longer required as they had taken too many people on and they had no option other than to let me go.
Okay place to work
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands21 August 2018
Day to day replenishing shelfs is major part of working at Home Bargains while operating the tills and talking to customers. The management team overall are useful when trying to get stock out.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Unpaid lunch, management strict a lot of the time, repeative work
Fun happy joyfull
any job (Former Employee) –  Liverpool19 August 2018
I think home bargains is a great supermarket I go with my mum all the time I love it I want to work there because the stuff look kind and caring I wanna work there but I don't have an experience
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Part time
Friend workforce
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glenrothes, Fife18 August 2018
Although this job does not challenge me to the level I am currently looking for, the work I do can be enjoyable. Majority of the team that I work with throughout my shifts are very pleasant and very friendly. This makes the environment much more enjoyable and relaxed, being able to have a laugh and chat with my work colleagues makes the shift pass quicker.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Not challenging
enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belfast17 August 2018
usually loads of members of staff so enjoyable and nice being able to work with people you like as a big team. bad pay for what is required of you and mediocre management.
Pros
10% discount
Fab staff and management
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, Merseyside15 August 2018
After working 2 years at H&B I came across these reviews, and I’m quite shocked by the negative comments I have read. In our shop there is certainly no problem with management, the store is run extremely well, all management are fair and appreciative of a job well done by staff, all the comments I have read about management treating staff badly and abusive are certainly not what I have experienced in our shop. Our manager and lead sales are all friendly, and treat you with respect, it’s a fantastic place to work
Love retail, but not here
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prenton13 August 2018
Ok, I'm being honest, 3 stars is too nice.

Typical day at work is usual in any store.

Management never listened and the staff were so ignorant and rude and I did not feel part of the team whatsoever.
They all knew eachother and were friends but I felt so pushed away when I tried to talk to any of them.

I didn't work there long, two months. But these are my list of problems..

*They told me my shift would be 5-10
-ok, i had a 6 month old son so telling me these hours were essential for my babysitter. I wouldn't finish work until 12 (because of how slow the replenishing of stock was) sometimes just before and it really annoyed them as they were up so late and I wouldn't get to them until approx 12.45/1am.

*No hours
I was promised hours in my contract, this job was my only way of any income. I checked the rota to see I wasn't on it for two weeks, I informed the manager who said they would fix this. Three shifts later and three more times of mentioning, I wasn't on the rota still. I couldn't afford to be doing this and this was my reason for leaving.

*Staff
The staff never listened or helped when I needed it. I was new, it was a new place and I needed to know what I was doing, rather than standing around like an idiot, but they all seemed to dismiss me.
Pros
money
Cons
everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.