Home Bargains Employee Reviews

Found 1,001 reviews matching the search See all 1,025 reviews
fun work place people easy to get along with
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  carlsile11 December 2018
everyone friendly and easy to get along with and all are very helpful.
not too early start and not a late finish. you get a small disscount when buying instore
Pros
discount
Cons
boring work
Bad managers and long days
Sales Assistant? (Current Employee) –  Armagh City, County Armagh10 December 2018
20 hour contract but doing 39 which I don't mind but being threatened at 7am every morning that if 3 cages aren't done by break time you'll be put out, managers need retrained in everything they run about like it's a hospital ? Also don't care about they're staff, most stressful job I have had yet and they're is no need for it to be and when you ask to move shifts to something else like tills they seem to ignore your request and try to carry on with something else. Nothing is ever good enough for them.
Pros
Not sure
Cons
No finishing time, bad managers and everything else
Horrible place to work.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester4 December 2018
Managers don't care about your well being. I got left 7 hours without a break because they forgot about me.
Managers speak down to you and think they are better than you because they are managers.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Ignorance
Teamwork
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kendal, Cumbria3 December 2018
As part of the retail industry, Home Bargains is a place where everything has to be organised so consumers can have the best shopping experience. A typical is about going on tills to serve the customers and give assistance to them so they can locate things they want to buy.
Pros
Holiday pay
Dont bother, seriously.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cookstown, County Tyrone3 December 2018
I got hired and I was happy since it was the first time a company had hired me in this area and it was my second job.

to summarise it

I have no training and they took me on knowing this

made to watch a really bad video for "training" to which I couldnt even hear it because the sound was so low.

When I did start doing what the video said the manager told me that what I was doing was wrong and that I shouldn't be doing those and then 2 hours later when he come back I actually got told off for not doing what I was told not to do.

few days later they bring me into the office and pretty much tell me i'm fired and that they want more experienced people since it is Christmas time and they want more experienced staff but hey, cant get experience if you don't give me a proper chance right?

Now I know why they are understaffed nobody wants to work in a store where they feel like utter garbage just for being there.
Pros
literally nothing
Cons
working here
Ideal for some
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Caernarfon29 November 2018
Job by all standards is awful but is ideal for people who want to work in a quick pace environment with responsibilities that are left up to you to accomplish.
Pros
10% Discount, Always Busy
Cons
Old fasioned work policies
Don’t go there
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Wiltshire29 November 2018
over worked and never payed properly expected to work 17 hour days and 60/65 hour weeks no lui time and if you take back any hours they then deduct it from you salary
Don’t get proper breaks
And if you complain your then targeted for bullying by area manager for your complaint
No backing from there h/r department the just make your situation worse by contacting the person who you complain about tell them
Avoid avoid avoid avoid there a horrible company to work for
Pros
Cons
Hour you have to work not payed
interesting to work here
Lead Sales (Junior Management) (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, UK28 November 2018
Friendly working culture to work at this place

Very good staff as well as management

Very good customer service experience

learning new skills

Learned the training skill of new employees
most of the staff worked together well
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare28 November 2018
I gained experience and confidence. I engaged with others and my communication improved massively. It also made me more organised and made me realise i can work well under pressure.
Pros
gained experience and confidence
Cons
management was poor
lovely staff
Store assistant (Former Employee) –  Congleton25 November 2018
My colleagues were great and I enjoyed working alongside them however the home work balance was not good for me and my family. I feel they don't take into consideration people with families and their family commitments such as after schools, holidays and groups outside school hours.
Pros
lovely staff
Lovely staff
Salves exclusives (Former Employee) –  Cardifd21 November 2018
- a typical day at work
-learnt how to speak and treat costumers
-till work and stacking shelves
Loved the staff
Good breaks
Good lunches
Pros
Free lunches
awful place to work
Till Operator (Former Employee) –  Harlow, Essex21 November 2018
Worked in. the Harlow store for a few months. worst thing I have ever done. Really stressful.

Ok if you have family or friends in this store. very clickey and this does not work well with all staff. I have seen staff treat customers appallingly and they will laugh about it among each other.
I have witnessed customers tried to complain in store and unless the manager is their then they are dismissed or made to feel awful. I have tried to tell management of issues but as some are friends with staff anyway then everyone will know you are not 'A TEAM PLAYER" this is not very nice when you have to work with these people.

my experience left me with the only option but to leave. luckily I found a job in an alternative store which is much better.
Pros
discount and I think I brought half the store.
Cons
staff allowed to get away with too much, Unprofessional.
hidious
Store Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Maghull, Merseyside20 November 2018
vile store manager
store assistants are treated like the rats of the store
managers cant even put a rota together and dont seem to have any idea how to do their job
if you arent family or close friend no chamce if promotion ir even being spoken to in a decent manner
never met such ill mannered rude people
Pros
no pros to this job avoid it
Cons
everything about this job is a con
Not a bad part time job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  North West19 November 2018
I’ll start with the Pros. The staff make the work place bearable and some of the management are ok too.
Staff get a Christmas party yearly which the company pay for. You also get 10% discount on your shopping.

However the cons out weigh these few pros of working for the company. You’ll be contracted a maximum amount of 20 hours per week, but be expected to work 40 ( which you do get paid for). If your shift is an 8-12 then you will be expected to stay until 4pm or even made to staying later.
Management are under lots of pressure therefore often take it out on the staff, you’re not allowed to talk to other members of staff during the shift. If you do you can expect to be shouted at like a child at school. Even though the management stand round talking to whoever they feel like.
You’ll be expected to train new staff for no extra wage, and often be the one who breaks the news to them that they have to stay 4 hours after their shift states on the Rota.
You’ll go out your way for a company that will replace you in a day. They often rota you in things like moves to change over seasonal displays which can go on until late at night or early morning hour and you’re just expected to do it.
Management are unprofessional and if they dislike you you’re time at the company will be awful. They’ll put you on awful shifts and make you do jobs that other members of staff don’t have to. They are power hungry and you often don’t get your break until 5-5 and a half hours through your shift, and if you ask for you break they deliberately give you a later one. They time you’re work and
  more... breathe down your neck to work faster and faster.
If you’re working the fill shift, they write times on your cages with impossible targets. Making you feel like you’re not good enough or not working hard enough. The job is very physically demanding, you’ll work your fingers to the bone and get no where.
Area and regional managers come into the store and deliberately intimidate members of staff, Such as asking why you and another member of staff are working on the same aisle. Often shaking their head at you and telling your manager to pull you up over something instead of speaking to you themselves.
You get one half an hour break for the whole shift, when you’re doing manual labour. You’re often pressured into staying over four hours past your shifts and resented and even told you will getting a notice of improvement if you don’t stay.
Stay away if you can! The staff make it bearable but not for long you end up dreading the thought of going to work and you end up with permenant back damage.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Absolutely awful work environment
Poor working environment
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire16 November 2018
My experience at Home Bargains was poor. My managers were not the kindest of individuals. They had their moments but in regards to helping with mental health difficulties, they failed to do so. This is not necessary applicable to all stores. Some might be great. However, my experience, not so much.

They are pretty strict with absences, even if you provide doctors notes, sick lines and legitimate reasons for being off.

In regards to work, it was fairly easy enough. However, there is a lot of pressure on staff to do a lot of things in an insufficient amount of time. This can lead to staff members feeling distressed.

They pay you weekly, which is always nice. However, they only pay you minimum wage. You also get a 10% discount in store which is useful.

As a student, I appreciated my manager working around my time table and reducing my hours during exam times.

It isn't the worst place to work, it is just not the best either.
Pros
Weekly pay, accommodating hours, staff discount
Cons
Understaffed, poor management, minimum wage, bad workplace culture
avoid!
former employee (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 November 2018
worked for 2 years and never again. was constantly give NOI for having a day off as my child was sick ( in hospital) , was bullied by a member of management to the point he was screaming in my face in the warehouse and got laughed at for complaining about it, rotas never completed on time and would normally go up the day before they was due to start. could never make any doctor or dentist appointments as was never given time off for them and one member of staff was even refused their maternity appointment by the supervisor- despite having hospital letter.

never given proper breaks. people would work 12 hour shifts and was told they could not have any more then 2 15 minute breaks or 1 30 minute. sometimes they would refuse breaks to whoever was working a 6 hour shift on aisle 1 as they had no one to cover the aisle. this happened on more then 3 occasions.

most people I worked with were lovely. however managers have their favourites and made it known.

ok if you want something short term but not long term.
Pros
wage was slightly higher then NLW and staff were brill
Cons
everything else!
workplace
customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Hereford14 November 2018
It's a very good place to work in apart from the pay isn't very good. The most enjoyable part of is that is a lot to do. The bad part is that the shifts are only four hours long.
Cons
very short shifts
Good Poductive fun working place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wrexham, Wrexham14 November 2018
I enjoyed my time here there was a few cons but its a job at the end of the day and most definitely not a hard one.
shifts were very short and quick, we have deadlines we had to meet and I enjoyed that side of it.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short hours not very flexible
Terrible Management and Disorganised
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Southport9 November 2018
Staff and customers are very friendly. Management is disorganised and horrible to work for. The work rota is put up a week before a shift, they don't ring you if your shift has changed, you have to sort it out yourself then get into trouble for not making your shift or coming in at a different time. The managers ensure that they are never responsible, they just discipline the staff for their mistakes and disorganisation. Other companies have apps or their rota is displayed weeks in advance which would reduce this.
Managers are generally very nice people, except the highest ranking managers, they use their role against the staff. I hurt my hand and was unable to go into work, so my dad rang in as i was in the hospital. I came into work after being at the hospital to show them my hand. Next week when i came into work they were more bothered about the fact that my dad rang in, they wouldn't listen to why i couldn't ring in. One of the managers (who i showed my hand to) accused me of lying and saying i never came into work to show my injury, when there were several people there would could corroborate this as she wasn't the only manager i showed my hand to on that day. This is the reason why i don't work at Home Bargains anymore.
I also have trouble with my hip and the managers wouldn't allow me to do other things for 10 minutes or so, just to move it around. They stuck me on a till for 4 hours straight until i got my break, then another 4 hours. Breaks are only 30 minutes long and it's the only break you get for the whole shift, even if your there for 10 hours. You aren't allowed
  more... to have a bottle of water with you on a till and if you need the toilet and there is no staff to take you off, then you have to keep your till open until you have a chance which could be an hour, 2 hours etc. Also, if your shift ends at 7 for example, you never get out at 7. You have to put the stock back from the tills and the back, which can take between 10 mins to an hour. You still get paid for the extra time, but this means you can't make arrangements as you never know what time you will actually finish work.
If you are 16, you get the lowest hourly pay. It increases when you turn 18 and again when your 21. Whereas other places have under 18's and over 18's. Everyone does the same job, but just because your older you get more money, which isn't fair.
Holidays aren't hard to get off, you have to submit your holiday form 4 weeks before your intended holiday. Most of the time, they are accepted, except for the months where most people go away like july and august. Holidays aren't allowed during December. Even though your booked down as being off for a holiday, they will still put you on the rota and potentially ring you up asking why your not there. The management is very disorganised with holidays and days off. You are also only allowed to be off sick for 2 days during the entire year and you are allowed 2 weeks of holidays a year.
Overall, the staff are very nice to work with and the customers are very friendly, but the managers aren't nice to work for.
Pros
Customers, staff
Cons
Long hours, management, disorganised, staying longer than intended.
if you want work in homebargins make sure to put your sleeves up and work hard.
Steinhoff Uk Retail Ltd -Sale Consultant (Former Employee) –  southend aiport7 November 2018
Hi I work there for 6 years work is easy when you learn you own way just need wiling to work if you not lazy.I like work in fast place when u dont fell bored is nice place is depends of individually person and personality.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.