Home Bargains Employee Reviews

Negative workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Loughborough14 June 2018
Not a very good atmosphere in the store between staff and management. Not very friendly. Sometimes were made to stay after your shift ended when not asked beforehand if you would be able to stay. Bad communication between managers, one minute you are told to do something then the next minute you are getting told off by another manager for doing that certain job which you were told to do by another manager which is not necessary at all to give the staff a hard time when just trying to do the job correctly.
Pros
fixed hours
Cons
part time and low pay
Fun colleagues, boring job
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside5 June 2018
mainly worked on tills, serving customers, assisting, tidying store. Learned how to work on tills, and how to do stock take. Management was good, mainly helpful, can be a bit unorganised. Hardest part of the job is standing in the same place for hours, and it gets a bit boring. Most enjoyable part is working with fun interesting people, they make the day go faster.
Pros
discount, good hours, colleagues
Cons
unorganised, low pay, sore feet, boring
ok
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool5 June 2018
Home Bargains is a ok place to work as it can be a good fun environment. However there is times where work becomes repetitive. The work is easy to do and can be a good job at times.
decent job if desperate.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh2 June 2018
stated working here after been unemployed a few years.
read the reviews on indeed before starting here. wish I listened to what people said. probably worst job I've had.
Pros
discount. friendly staff.
Cons
long hours, poor management, under staffed, no social life
fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln1 June 2018
long work days with lack of breaks
how to work to a time scale
workplace culture was nice
hardest part of the day was the long hours we had to work, which included working after the shop had closed
Lead sales. Part time. You will have no you time
Lead sales (Former Employee) –  Swadlincote, Derbyshire1 June 2018
I worked he for 5 months. Really liked the job, got a injury and had to take time off. Was struggling with the pain when returned to work. Felt like I was forced to leave. Management unprofessional refused to help with situation. Slagged stuff off behind their backs. 20hr contract a joke was working full time every week. They only give you a 20 HR contract so they can shaft you on holidays. Supervisor, assistant manager and manager, will do nothing and the lead sales have to run around like headless chickens.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Management, bad hours no commitment to help staff after serious injury.
good place to work
Fill Shift (Former Employee) –  Burnley, Lancashire30 May 2018
it a good place to work the manager got good manager skills good staff all staff work as a team local to take away bus stops outside every 20 mins good company to wrk for
Nice staff
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grays27 May 2018
I have learned how to work well with other staff and its helped me to learn to get to places on time and its taught me how important it is to learn new skills.
Pros
Nice Staff, Cheap stock, clean
Cons
Short Hours, Not enough days
Dont really know
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire23 May 2018
didnt work here long so cant really say much wasnt a career move for me more of a stop gap to keep money coming in. not a great working atmosphere but it was a means to an end.
Home Bargains
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carmarthen15 May 2018
A typical day at work for me would have been starting on stocking up all of the shelves from the stock that came in, if I was needed on tills I would go there and every time I was not needed on the tills I would go back and help out with stocking the shelves so I was always busy and always had something to do there.
geat for customer interaction
Cashier / Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville, Hampshire14 May 2018
The work was very fast past and required good origination planning which wasn’t really delivered by the management team there. I felt there wasn’t enough experience or social skills within the management team which prevent the place form being a lot better place to work.
The job its self was good and I enjoyed the many different aspects of a sales assistant / cashier
Pros
worked around school hours
Cons
lack of exsperiance with floor mangement
Fill shift is never ending
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire13 May 2018
Working on a 16 hour contract. Fill shift start at 9 and don't have a end time you finish when all the order is put out on the shop floor. 15 min break on a 4 hr shift. Ive never worked 16 hours a wk on fill shift. Till shifts are 4 hour shifts which isnt too bad at least you know when you are finishing work. On fill also one fill shift member is nominated as the till runner if they need something you go. And another is for the extra Till. Always shorts staffed. No cover for staff on holidays sick or maternity.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Long hours for fill shift on 16 hours
Productive and Hard Working
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Litherland10 May 2018
A typical day would consist of working on tills, the shop floor and also helping customers. This workplace is fast-paced and constantly on the move. In this job, communication skills are developed throughout the roles in this job.
Most enjoyable part of the job - engaging with other members of the team and learning new aspects of the job.
Pros
flexibility with hours
Cons
No full time positions as sales assistants.
Good to fill time
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitehaven, Cumbria10 May 2018
I wouldn't recommend working here with plans to do it in the long run. It's good as a part time job to fill the time, but that's it. The management doesn't care for the employees and always seemed to get a superiority complex over those below them. You were constantly rushed, beyond what you're capable of, and the managers didn't care who might have done something wrong, the first person they'd suspect would always get the blame. Other than that, it's a good part time gig where you go in and keep your head low and leave.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Managers power trip
Fun workplace
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Liverpool8 May 2018
As I was only there on work experience placement I do not know to a full extent what it is like working there full time, however while I was there the workplace was fun and the staff are friendly and supportive.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Keighley3 May 2018
I have enjoyed my time at Home Bargain hence it has developed my as an individual. Whilst working at Home Bargains my communication and customer service skills have improved. I want to challenge myself and progress into a company which will showcase my skills and a place where I can progress throughout the company.
The most enjoyable part of my job was greeting and meeting customers also making the customers experience good at the retail store. I loved working as part of a team and tackling situations efficiently.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blaydon-On-Tyne3 May 2018
A typical day at home bargains usually involves, serving customers on the till, replenishing the stock and ensuring that the shop is tidied to the best of ability.
What you learn at home bargains if all the required skills to become a better individual, sales assistant or higher such as supervisor or even management. You learn the health and safety management of the store, and how to give the best customer service.
The workplace culture is great, very friendly, helpful and happy environment.
The hardest part of my job is letting a customer down, when they ask if we have a product and we don't its very difficult to tell them in case there is any conflict caused which may also be hard.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I can go to work, be myself, see my work colleagues and get my head down and do the best possible job that I can.
Pros
friendly staff
good starter job
cleaner
fill shift
stock takes
management is excellent
hardest part was cleaning and the easiest is helping customers
Pros
serving lots of customers
Cons
cleaning/stock takes
Poor Management/ Communication
Lead Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gloucestershire29 April 2018
currently work as a lead sales assistant.
role is great as you do learn a lot. however the senior management aren't the best. they treat you like nothing some days and the next their friend! They are constantly nagging at you to get certain jobs done in a 4 hour shift. (sometimes this isn't possible).
The way that some rules are for one of the management and different for others.
We don't all get treated equally. This needs to be addressed.
It's all about the management structure rather than the company itself
Lead Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Morecambe, Lancashire29 April 2018
You can progressively move forward to management using this company. A great first place to start. Management are happy to help and staff are more than willing to put in the work.
Pros
Holiday pay, Good company to work for.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.