Home Bargains Employee Reviews

Home bargain
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colwyn Bay, Conwy16 January 2018
Poor place to work, the management do not work with the staff when it comes to issues in life, work hours are poor slot of split shifts with at least 2 hour between shifts and the company does not look after their staff.
Good to work for
Cleaner, fill shift. (Current Employee) –  Hayle, Cornwall15 January 2018
I helped set the store up in Hayle Cornwall and still working there now, also got my wife a job with them, very family oriented. Pay is above minimum wage and very open to rota changes.
Pros
Good to work for
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire14 January 2018
It keeps you on your toes, there is a lot to do in the day to day routine, as well as helping the customers out you have to make sure the store is tidy and clean.
Pros
Shorter days
Cons
Not long enough breaks
Fun atmosphere
Manager (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester14 January 2018
I enjoyed my time as manager. It something I always wanted to do an this company gave me the opportunity.
Whilst training for the position of manager I got to work all over the country an work in many of different stores the company owned therefore opening up my costumer service skills and the ability to adapt to new workplace and people in a short amount if time.
Pros
Above minium pay pension 5 weeks paid holiday a year
Cons
Long hours. Stock takes no praise for hitting targets
Home Bargains is a good place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chadderton, Greater Manchester11 January 2018
Home Bargains is a good place to work and the management staff at the store in which I work are very friendly and good to work alongside they help create a nice and funny working environment. however the only complaint I can have about home bargains is that the salary and the hours in which people work are poor workers are definitely not paid what they should earn.
Cons
Short hours, pay isn't very good
Very busy and rude customers
Sale Advisor (Former Employee) –  London10 January 2018
I had to work most of the time at the tills, because of the long queues and I was one of the quicker on the tills.Customers were rude most of the times because of the waiting time on the till, but when you work faster they was okay.
Pros
Better payment than superdurg
Cons
long hours of working
Terrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Essex8 January 2018
If you want to be treated like an absolute mug, then you should work here! The store I worked in had an awful store manager who was almost robotic. She didn’t take anyone’s feelings into consideration and the whole team hated her, even the other managers.

In terms of rotas, I guess some people may be lucky and get good shifts but if you’re a college student like I am, you’ll be put on long weekend hours so you’ll have no real time to get much college work done if the weekend is when you do things like that. It also impacts your personal life. I was barely at home, especially when it came to the summer holidays.

All round, I couldn’t spend a long time here just because of how the treatment was. There were some good managers and sales assistants so it wasn’t all doom and gloom however that was the only good thing about it.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad management
Unsociable hours, bad management and no benefits for working there.
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheshire8 January 2018
I have been working at Home Bargains for a year and 6 months now. Firstly i started out as weekend staff as i was still at sixth form and then took on a full time contract. At first i loved the job, it was my first job and i loved the sense of responsibility. But then as the months grew on i realised how bad of a company it is. The management are terrible, there is no communication between them and staff members so we regularly get told different things by different management. We are treated unfairly and are expected to work stupid hours on such short notice. If we are treated badly by any customers, they don't care,we have to take it and be very polite back, no matter what the situation. We can never get a word in edgeways as in their eyes we are always wrong even if were upset about something. This job is terrible and the way you are treated is appalling. I would NOT recommend this job.
Cons
Unsociable hours and treated unfairly
not the best
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire7 January 2018
good working environment, unorganised with work times. I got good pay for the hours I worked over the weekend. some weekends it was a good place to be but mostly not the best place to work with
Pros
friendly enviroment
Cons
changed round working times without informing me
Fairly positive work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset7 January 2018
The job is a positive work place the people around you are very kind and help you out when you first start, the management is okay but the hours are not spread fairly.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Hours
Home bargains
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire6 January 2018
I think that home bargains is a horrible company cause the management team is very bad and they give you horrible breaks and they are very strict and not very nice to there staff
Worst Job Ever
Sales\Fill Staff (Former Employee) –  Southend, Essex2 January 2018
Management treat you like rubbish and HR wont help you at all if you have any problems. only good part to that job is meeting some great customers. Southends home bargains is the worst one to work for by far.
Cons
long hours, bad pay, you have to fill every job role avalible, horrible treatment, horrible management
great company
Till Operator (Former Employee) –  Redditch2 January 2018
was always a good day to work there as always meeting new people each day learning about how people talk and what they appreciate management were lovely
Pros
great work hours
A good first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville2 January 2018
There was always more hours to pick up other than ones contracted. As my first job it was a brilliant place to start. The environment is mostly very laid back. The hardest part of this job was keeping the shop front looking tidy and making sure the shelves were full due to the shop being quite popular. The most enjoyable part of this job was being surrounded with colleagues who were really easy to work alongside and being able to get help from other shop floor assistants.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Lead sales were quite biased
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Heanor28 December 2017
Stacking and cleaning shelves and till operative.
I learnt how to deliver effective customer service and worked well alongside management.
The hardest part of the job was delivering a job to the best of my ability whilst given a specific time.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with customers and helping customers to the best of my ability.
A fun environment
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk28 December 2017
Home bargains is a friendly and fun place of Work. Managers always know how to help in order to get the job done. I learnt how to work under pressure when dealing with different customers and helping them to the best of my ability.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No guaranteed shifts
shelf filling
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester28 December 2017
typical day was arriving at work at 7am getting into the store room have the talk in the morning then jump straight into it
everyone there is friendly so it was easy getting along with everyone
Pros
discounts
Hit and miss
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wellingborough27 December 2017
Only really suitable for those wanting p/t work such as a student or a mum wanting school hours as contracts were only between 4-20 hours a week. In my store, some of the managers were alright, others were awful. Wouldn't recommended building a career here as you'll be doing the work of 3 people due to lack of staff most of the time.
Best for students
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newton Mearns, East Renfrewshire27 December 2017
I started working there at 16 so I only got paid £4.55 which was great at the time for my first job whilst at school. It was fun and casual for all staff and even store managers. The company itself is way too strict and controlling trying to be more serious than it is and the whole clocking in 10 minutes before your shift was cause for issues. Great part-time job for students or elder people.
Pros
Short shifts, simple tasks
Cons
Company was over controlling
Store assistant Ellesmere port Westminster
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire23 December 2017
Rubbish company to work for,if your face doesn't fit forget it,, I needed to take a second job because 16 hours wasn't enough, HB told me that they couldn't guarantee me a late start even though they needed people to work late, other staff members were allowed to have shifts to suit them, I'm glad I'm out of that place
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Horrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8