Home Bargains

Home Bargains Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,644 reviews
Found 1,644 reviews matching the search
Fast Paced Work Environment
Home bargains is a fantastic place to work if you're looking for a job to keep you on your feet at all times.
Management here can be a bit of a hit or miss and they are not afraid to tell you when you're doing something wrong however very rarely will you be praised.
Stressful...
The co-owned company has many flaws in it's ability to satisfy customers and staff alike. With management being somewhat young and unsuitable, it makes daily jobs feel like child's play... Some of your colleges have not even an inch of social ability which makes it frustrating whilst working alongside them.
Nice place to work
I love the job I am doing but it is very challenging at times.
I work on the till, fill shelf, tidy.

I do everything to do with shop work.

I get on with most people.

You can work in a team or only
Stressful
good pay/bonus scheme, 44 hour contract but did 52 plus a week, management watts app group which was used to just criticise you on your days off, no breaks during 10+ hour shifts, made me feel ill no thanks not worth it.
Pros
Pay/bonus scheme, job security
Cons
Criticised on days off on watts app group so could never relax with family, work over hours every week, no job is worth feeling ill and ruining your days off with family
Good and great place to work
Loved my job , good staff & management,. All work together as a team very well. , stick takes can be daunting but they wasnt in this store a totally enjoyed it.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
No set days off
Don't do it
I started working for Home Bargains in 2018, as a 17 year old at the time I was earning £5.22 per hour. When I was 18, I earned £6.86 per hour, in comparison to the 25 year olds+ who earn about £8.30 (I think).

I only work here part-time in conjugation with my University degree, and I will give them credit where it's due, they were very flexible around mymy degree and were kind enough to only give me weekend shifts and most of my co-workers were really nice to me.enough to give me mmy astttheytheytheythettheyhavehavehabe jonoured honoure
My job exprience
Well i was there for three weeks and was dismiss after that time i think they treat you unfearly no prober trainning if your face dont fit your out some people there were lovley. But i think some of the managers if they dont like you your out on the first strik
Ok
My time at home bargains was a good one,

I only lived across the road so it was very easy for me to get to and from work, when I did a good job I was always praised and felt proud of the work I had produced.
Nice place to work
It is a great place to work especially as a student job. The management at my store are very lovely. I think the pay should be increased as the money paid is not enough for living costs.
No thanks
Reasonable company to work for. Fairly treated. Very accomodating where necessary. Good training nice bunch of people to work with. Treated every one equally
Unless desperate, avoid
The job itself wasn’t hard, but the tone in there from the start is very disciplinary before you’ve even done anything wrong. The atmosphere made me feel like I was back in high school.
Home bargains policies are very deceiving, since in your contract it says you may be asked to work additional hours but it’s not like you have the option to say no. You’re told to ask a manager if you can leave at the end of your shift, they can ask you to stay which you essentially have to say yes to. If you don’t ask, you’re treated like you’ve done something wrong and if you do ask you have no choice on the outcome of your day.

This is wrong because if you intend on giving people more hours than they’re contracted, maybe just give them a bigger contract in the first place and don’t give them a four hour shift?

Managers discussed people getting a ‘notice of improvement’ openly on the shop floor which I do not believe is the correct way to conduct yourself as you’re causing embarrassment for the other member of staff and it should be a private matter.

You get paid on time but it’s not always right, which means you always have to ask your manager to correct it for you.

The tills are outdated, and impractical. Coming from a job where I had been allowed to do refunds and void items off, to home bargains which requires a manager to authorize this every time which leaves an unnecessary wait for the customer and anger directed at you.

I work for another retail company now and I’m very happy with the way I’m treated, the way I’m paid and to not have to deal with a company like this
 - more...
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Having to ask to leave, pay incorrect, one day you’re doing something right the next day it’s considered wrong
needs to be reviewed
the part time staff are looked down on by the full time members of staff and some managers this needs to change for the shop to be more successful in my opinion
Sale Assistant Retail Park Cardiff
If you tell them some thing that is True ? You get into the big trouble! They can be always rude to you, but you can't otherwise you get notice of improofment get ready! When you start working there, you get notice of improofment withou any explanation to you. Horrible place to work I will give them 0 star if I can.
Pros
10% of what is not a big deal.
Cons
Bad pleace to work.
Unfairly treated
Was sacked after 3 months for being too slow but was offered no additional training/help. Felt i was pushed out before trial period ended so they didn’t have to pay me as a furloughed worker during the the current coronavirus pandemic
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Poor management
Great overall, but could be better.
Working for Home Bargains has been genuine, good honest work. I have learned a lot from this job and the people within it. I would recommend this job to anyone searching for work or anyone interested in the world of retail. Don’t expect it to be easy though, there is a bit of graft involved.
The Retford store has an amazing culture of friendly and compassionate staff that have successfully created a warm, lasting atmosphere that is great to work in. They are honest, decent people with great senses of humour that are open to questions and always willing to help you. They set a great example all around and hopefully you will learn by following their footsteps. If you have a growth mindset, you’ll fit in perfectly.

Customers are 50/50, but this is really to be expected when working in a customer service environment; the customers can’t be changed. Some customers are remarkable individuals with great stories to tell, pleasant senses of humour and are a delight to serve. But there will always be the few that are rude, obtuse and not very understanding. Simply rise above rude customers and think of the positive ones.

All the managers were excellent people with genuine retail experience and dedication to what they were doing. They are open to questions and will help you with anything if you are struggling. They set a good example in both customer interaction and respecting the Home Bargains method of properly putting products out. Although it was rare, some managers (I stress “some”, not all) had an odd culture of discouraging, deterring and ridiculing staff from going on their
 - more...
Pros
Very productive honest work, good pay, really pleasant atmosphere.
Cons
Lacklustre training, sometimes monotonous work, inconsistent hours.
Okay temporary job
Good as a weekend or extra income job but will become stressful and tiring with the amount of work for low numbers of staff. Can become invasive with personal life with the amount of overtime required to sometimes do.
I work at the Segensworth Road Branch Near Fareham
I find it amazing friendly and lovely place to work. Staff really bend backwards to help the customer. Management brilliant and friendlynto work with We have sn open friendly approach where we help integratrate others. I Love my job here.
Fab place to work
Loved it I didn’t want to leave, miss it so much my boss sue was brilliant and like a mum and my colleagues were friends best off friends and still stay in n contact with all , yes the pay is not great but I know people who earn loads off money and hate there job , I didn’t
Dont get comfy
Managers look for number one screw the the staff any problems u have the whole store finds out saying that great pay rates and benifits but do only what u need to do as u do the work managers and lead sales get the bonus
Low wage but great staff
South shields has one of the best staff and management are abit off at times but friendly other times .
Good for customer service skills and some money coming in

Store assistants dont get bonuses but management do but when there are special holidays coming up store assistants can get as much over time as possible . You may have the odd horrid customer but that's the same any where you go.
Good job
Generally everyday is fast-paced. There’s always stock to be put out or isles that need tidying therefore i’m always busy. The management isn’t too bad although it could be better.