Home Bargains Employee Reviews

Overworked and under appreciated
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire18 October 2018
My experience at Home Bargains was a good one to begin with, yet after a year I noticed a massive decline in the workplace and with management,
First of all the workload has gotten to an impossible level as the store has grown but staff numbers have dwindled making every day a losing battle and we get the backlash for it despite us being understaffed.

The management might as well not even be there, They sit around on their phones and don't aid anyone with stock, Leaving no room for respect as they have done nothing to earn any, Of recent have been lying about the workload and make up "deals" to get us clocked out early, yet go against their words and this makes moral plummet.

Management couldn't care less about staff's lives outside work and expect us to put in overtime and work on days off despite not doing this themselves, We are contracted to 20 hours a week yet we do around 30-40 with menial breaks and no thanks or appreciation.

I as well as other colleagues are all set on leaving ASAP as the conditions are just lowering with each working day.

Advice to senior management, Talk to the sales assistants, Monitor your supervisors and lead sales as they abuse their position, slack off and blame us below the food-chain, yet pull the wool over your eyes when you come visit.
Pros
10% Discount (If that's even worth being a pro)
Cons
Ridiculous hours, No regards to staff, Low moral, Bottom of the food-chain, Managers lie to your faces, Loss of holidays
Standard retail, nothing out of the ordinary
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Holywood18 October 2018
I would say that fill shift is physically taxing work for lower pay than I would like. Good store organisation in general and very much customer oriented.
Nightmare
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Yorkshire15 October 2018
If you are considering a job here, don't bother, it's total chaos, there's never enough change in the tills, staff are friendly enough, but management all suffer from illusions of grandeur! The power has gone to their heads. They talk to staff like dirt and expect you to be respectful in response. Customers are local and regular and mostly friendly. Store could also do with a qualified security officer rather than expecting regular staff to act as security as well.
Pros
Clocking out and going home.
Cons
Pretty much everything.
Great working environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oswestry15 October 2018
All staff are friendly with each other and any with customers

I learnt more communication skills, how to use a till.

The management were always there to help if I was in a difficult situation.
nightmare
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire14 October 2018
staff are a good laugh but management can take the job way to serious. poor pay considering the hard work staff put in. customers are on the whole pretty poor as the feel entitled to everything just because it is a discount store.
Treat young people like dirt
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wishaw, North Lanarkshire13 October 2018
I am an 18 year old student working part time and still on my training period when The area manager came in , I was shouted to office. He had a witness in i wasn't offered to bring someone in with me.
We spoke about my training and that i had to speed up.
Fair enough, was told he would come back end of week to speak to me again. I worked hard rest of the week.
I then noticed I wasn't on the rota for the following week.
The area manager didn't come back to speak to me. I approached the shop manager and asked why I wasn't on rota ? To be told
Well am guessing you have been terminated hand your badge in.!!!!!
Don't treat staff as they should.
Still haven't recieved a letter ect from head office to say am paid off, that was 3 weeks ago.
Pros
Cons
Plenty
Warehouse operative
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside11 October 2018
I'm still currently employed at Home Bargain as a warehouse operative
I am seeking other work as i write this review.
Work life balance is practically zero if your on days or nights you get a fixed Rota so no weekends off even though the supervisors and managers have created there own Rota where they alternate days off.
Supervisors are mostly unaproachable and have little time and don't really care about staff.
Pay is not bad but it is one of the lower paid warehouse jobs compared to others.
I know a lot off staff that came for training and then went straight to other companies with better pay and a rolling contract that was in line with the delivery drivers.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Long hours.. supervisors/managers dont careabout staff..fixed days off rather than a rolling pattern
home bargins
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool10 October 2018
has a nice environment in home bargains and you are able to have a flexible hours. good wage for the work you do and good hour starrting and finishing
productive working environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  manchester9 October 2018
its never a dull moment in the working environment and theres always jobs that you can be getting on with such as tidying and price checking and the customers are a delight to talk to.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no set days
terrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tunstall, Staffordshire9 October 2018
i lasted three days at HB, it really was one of the worst jobs I've ever had, bad management, forced to stay with no knowledge of when I'm finishing, I was told at the interview I'd have overtime but I didn't expect it to be 8 hours overtime each day! management were very unprofessional and the staff walked around the store swearing at each other and were also very unhelpful towards customers. The job was literally stacking shelves and carrying extremely heavy boxes with no one telling you how to correctly carry things, which can be very dangerous. Only had one half an hour break even though I worked 12 hour shifts. Oh and to top it all off, I never got paid for the three days work I actually did... Avoid this company at all costs.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
People there were lovely.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Customer Assistant9 October 2018
Whilst the job wasn't complicated, it was medium labour for very low pay.
It was extremely social and the management team were amazing; the work wasn't mentally taxing at all however, you were underpaid.
Pros
Management, 10% discount
Cons
Low pay
work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Strabane, County Tyrone7 October 2018
it was an average job. i did it because i needed the money. the management were nice. the customers were not. i liked most of my colleagues and i only left because i was going to university.
Friendly staff
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ellesmere Port7 October 2018
It’s a great place to work and the staff and mangers are great people and supportive. It’s not difficult to pick up on what you have to do and it chill
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Long hours sometimes
Intimidating workplace, terrible management.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare6 October 2018
I was very young when I started working here which may have played a part, but I still don't believe work should be so cold and intimidating. Management are snappy and unwelcoming!
Pros
Going home after the shift
Cons
Terrible wage, long hours, not enough space between a shift.
fun, stressful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Congleton5 October 2018
the workers there are alright but the managers need to learn how to do things properly always messing dates up making you work stupid hours without breaks and making you stay there hours longer than you are suppose to
Pros
good money nice workers paid weekly
Cons
make you work longer than they said forget give you breaks
lovley work place
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire4 October 2018
i enjoyed going to work,working on the tills gave me an extra boost in customer service the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people i was gutted toleave this place
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
some of the staff
Average
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prestatyn, Flintshire2 October 2018
The actual job was easy (if somewhat tedious) as I tidied shelves for 4 hours a day. The co-workers were amazing, it was the management that was not. I felt that one of them personally disliked me and went out of their way to make my day worse.

Overall; would NOT recommend this place, even if it is just for weekend work (like mine was).
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Tedious work
friendly work environment, supportive management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Holywood, County Down30 September 2018
I loved working at Home Bargains. The staff and management were so friendly. I usually worked between 4-6 hour shifts which was very sustainable. The most enjoyable part of my job was smiling on the tills all day.
Enjoyable Job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool30 September 2018
The training given at home bargains is very efficient and in depth. The job itself was very enjoyable, allowing for social aspects when it came to welcoming customers in and setting a friendly tone to the store.
Great Place to work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire24 September 2018
Great hours and flexibility, poor pay and benefits. Management was fantastic and helpful considering it was my first job. staff were very friendly and lovely.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Bargains. Our community is ready to answer.