Holroyd Howe

Holroyd Howe Employee Reviews

United Kingdom54 reviews
From the very questionable interview until I left the management were shocking, very all about me, regional manager more interested in young chefs which made them look extremely uncomfortable, if it had been a man there would’ve been complaints. Manager doesn’t work with women well. Questionable practices between the management team and lots of hiding bullying. National training good but locally shocking.
Pros
Lovely school
Cons
The management from unit upwards
poorly managed from the top to the bottom. Management only care when something goes wrong. No support, only online learning. If you speak out you are bullied out of the door. If you work All day you will be lucky if you get any breaks as they pile the work on you.

Avoid them at all costs, do not put yourself through the pain.
Pros
No weekends
Cons
Poor management, stressful, no breaks
Brilliant management excellent communication with employees enjoy working along side my team mates in a fast environment
Been able to deliver a 1st class service and cater for individual needs gives you a job satisfaction
Typical kitchen work ,low paid, unsociable hours, hard work. Head chef lazy and dictatorial.manager oblivious to what went on.made to feel guilty for taking any kind of break from the job
Cons
Unreasonable demands . favouritism for "brown-nosers"
Very poor management ... no guidance whatsoever you have to do a lot of online training and you have to follow a lot of company policies wich they are quite stupid ... the payment is not fair as they will give you a job description and after they will expect you to do way more than what you are supposed to do... poor quality of products mainly frozen as everything has to be on budget so I will not recommend to accept this job if you have a little bit pride in what you are doing
The job is fast paced and can be stressful at times. The pay is minimum wage. An average day includes two services and setting ready for the following service.
Pros
Good teams
Cons
Minimum wage
Poor management, uninterested company with zero interaction, not a good place as more concerned about Thier reputation than any form of care for staff and will invade your personal life without hesitation very strange way of running a business about the
Pros
Hours good
Cons
Everything apart from the hours
What management, from day one you are just left to sink or swim. Then when there bosses come they just pick holes in everything, blame everyone else and not the people who are paid to run theses places. Theses people haven’t got a clue, the speak to you so rudely, so many chefs come to so called help but they all think that they are some kind of Gordon Ramsay and not one of them can really cook. In the 15 years I have worked within a catering service I have never seen such a bad company from top to bottom. Pay is pretty poor, working hour ok if you work in a school but having said this ,most days you are ran off your feet so you never really get any kind of brakes because they are always sort staffed.They move to other places with big promises but just make life so bad people just leave, again if your face fits you might be ok !!!! But this company just want there YES people in there schools and drive as many people out as they can. Would not recommend working for this company and if they are taking over your company run as fast as you can and don’t look back
AVOID this company, they tell you one thing but once employed it’s a totally different story , work you like a dog cut people’s jobs and move you to a different area as always short staffed , never in over 1year was my pay correct only when it was the summer holidays funny as I wasn’t at work!!.
You have to do online training in your own time but they don’t pay you for it doing it . apply for adoing it , nev
Worked for the Company for 4 years, the management although a lot of them don’t seem to see what’s going on! a hard job but staff not rewarded in any way Greedy managers take all the benefits, not even a. Christmas Do or any entertainment budget Shame on you Holroyd Howe
Good job, Shame about the general manager! Offered the world and in reality your a chef de partie who is expected to do a sous chef job. You work every weekend and he head chef and sous do a Monday-Friday??? 😐! The staff were a good bunch! If your happy giving your all and getting nothing back and no support then this is the job for you! Westbuckland school is not your average chef job!.... I felt happier when I left
Although working for HH is hard, we are in the catering industry and if we worked in a restaurant or hotel we would be working just as hard. Standards are high and the problem is that there are many staff who just want to go in do the minimum and then leave. HH are passionate about what they do and really value people who are passionate about food.
The people you work with are fantastic. The people you work for are absolutely awful . Slave driver . Once you in. Your stuck till you find another job .very rare if your wages are rite .
I found the work really easy...but uncomfortable to work for..(management made feel uneasy)other staff were ok...
Not very good at explaining things..
been working for holroyd howe now for some time, ive had more training in the past year then in the past 20, helpful, supportive staff and managers that let me get on with the job and put value in me.
i get 3 weekends a month off, yes i work hard but i get great rewards.

only work 44 weeks a year as i work in a school but i get paid for 52
I really enjoyed working there for a year. Good managers and colleagues. Resigned due to home move. Really missed the environment and all the fun during at work.
Love working for HH, yes it’s hard work but that’s catering. Work term time only 14 weeks off & only work for 6 weeks max before another break. What’s there not to like. Varied daily work load. If you all work to the end goal, makes the time go quicker and there are reward schemes too.
Pros
Free lunch, term time only, great training and management
Cons
Broken promises! Bullies! Talk to you awful! Dont give you chance! Dont promote anyone!
I have been working for Holroyd Howe for over 3 years and the company is awful. The only good part is you work in a lovley school. This is the worst catering company I have ever worked for. It's low payed and you work with alot of bullies. I have seen lots of bad hygiene. To know this company have placed themselves in private schools is terrible.
Pros
You get to work in a good school
Cons
Low pay, bad hygiene, rude company staff
My time working at Holroyd Howe was on the whole a possitive experience, my co-workers and senior staff were all friendly and hard working and the pay was moderate however the organisation with salery and shifts was at times poor and caused many issues for all staff.
Pros
Free lunches and Dinner
Cons
Poor organisation and communication
Worst company I ever work for when this company first come in they sell you a load of Lies to get you on side once they get their feet firmly on the ground all these promises don't mean nothing this company don't care about their workers they work you to death top managers don't even look at you look down at you like a bit of dirt don't even say hello it is coming ever takes over get out quick