Hollywood Bowl Group Employee Reviews

Such bad experience
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe13 February 2019
Worked at Hollywood bowl high Wycombe for 4 months the management was a shambles in overall care of they don’t care about people only their favourites . Their was no review of how I was doing no training you have to train on job . People were coming in with alcohol smell on them still drunk including party hosts hardly saw a lot of managers or team leaders who happily sit in the office passed out from alcohol.(one in particular) They illegally would t give 20 minutes breaks when working 8 hour shifts if you ask for your break they moan and complain . Special treatment of a few employees won’t go back ever
Pros
Cons
Bad management, rude, don’t care about overall mental health of their employees
Fun workplace at time
Party Host (Former Employee) –  Ashford, Kent8 February 2019
Workplace was fun as there was always something going on, however the management was awful! they all had favourites, over worked every team member and didn't help when needed the most. All managers sat in office and had a chat whilst all team were left to deal with complaints and angry customers. All rude and two faced aswel! Would rather have no money than work here again
Pros
30% off food and drink while off shift
Cons
bad management, pay and long hours
Terrible
Technician (Former Employee) –  Poole2 February 2019
Management are petty, don’t know how to do their jobs, don’t care about you or your wellbeing, just about their numbers. The hours are horrific, you will often be expected to work double shifts finishing after 11pm, and be expected to be in first thing the following morning. The pay is minimum wage, which is terrible considering the work that is expected of you, and the time sensitive work you need to do. The only redeeming thing about working for this company at all is some of the people you work with.
Pros
4 free games of bowling a month, and discounted food on shift
Cons
Long hours, terrible pay, horrific management.
Horrible place to work
Team member (Former Employee) –  Kent1 February 2019
Get treated like a slave I have disability’s that they knew of and they would not accommodate .........................................................
Pros
Great security men
Cons
Everything els
A drag
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Rochester30 January 2019
Managers were awful, they clearly had favourites. Often made people feel uncomfortable and walked around making people feel miserable. They try to push a sense of teamwork but lots of cliques. Awful pay
Pros
Lively atmosphere
Cons
Not worth it
Team Member
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Stevenage30 January 2019
hmm... where do I even start?!?! The worse salary EVER. treated like slaves while the managers sit in their nice warm office, most managers are good and good at their jobs. However no the place to work if you want to be able to have friends outside of work. Job was amazing at first then they know your no longer new and oh all goes down hill.
Pros
You do make friends within the work. It is Fun and you do have a laugh.
Cons
Long hours, unsociable and rubbish pay.
Fun and friendly environment
Customer service advisor (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire11 January 2019
This company is a fun, friendly and welcoming environment to be in, with fun challanges and incentives to help you get through the day. The management are so lovely who will help you at all times.
Pros
brilliant incentives
Great working atmosphere
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex18 December 2018
Working at Hollywood bowl is a pleasure and the team that I work with from the other members of team to the managers and even higher up the chain of command, everyone has a great enthusiasm for the job and we all really gel together.
The good and the bad
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Poole, Dorset18 December 2018
I have been working for this company for approximately 5months i am a mum to 4 dependant children and this company have given me hours to fit around my family which is brilliant. I usually work from 6pm till anywhere between 11pm/12pm. It is national minimum wage however they do pay fortnightly which i like. The managers and team are all fantastic to work with however there are some who are extremely lazy and do not understand the word team work and this seems to go unnoticed unfortunately. I would definately recommend this as a return to work opportunitie for mums or dads looking to return to the world of work
Pros
30% off food and drink at all centres even on days off. Free Bowling
Cons
Under staffed Minimum wage
good
General housekeeping (Former Employee) –  hull11 December 2018
good place to work especially when in education/college/university. flexible working patterns available,. pleanty of shifts available. fun place to work
fun inspiring
Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Surrey Quays, Greater London, England, UK5 December 2018
fun to work at Hollywood bowl but long hours,
running the kitchen was fun but very demanding and sometimes long hours where people called in sick,
last minute shifts were always on the cards due to staff shortages
Pros
discount food and drinks
Decent place to work
Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Eastleigh4 December 2018
The rate of pay isn't the best, but the team and the managers are easy to get on with. Would recommend, especially to students wanting part time hours.
Fantastic Team but Employees treated as nothing more than money makers
Team Member - Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Bristol25 November 2018
I have a fantastic team that has made my time worthwhile but the managerial organisation is bad, perks are bad, long hours, low wages, often left unguided and untrained. bad notice of rotas, overworking, being given shifts you are unable to do, given full time hours on part time contract, was put on unpaid probation for submitting grievance.
Pros
Amazing Team
Cons
Long hours, Bad Management, 100% Profit Focused
They just want slaves & don't care
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire19 November 2018
There is so many different places that you have to master in Hollywood Bowling. You have the bar, the front desk, being a waitress and the lanes. You have to learn all of these to be employeed. I went for my trial shift, and they just expected me to pick everything up in 2 hours of being there. It was a joke. They pay less than the minimum wage. im 18 and they wanted to pay me £5 an hour, and they couldn't accommodate the amount of hours I would have needed to pay bills on that pay if I was to have worked for them.
Team members can't train for anything. I suggest you don't waist your time applying for this job. You get 20 minuets worth of breaks throughout the whole day. Even if your working from 12 lunch time till 1 am close.
There is no professionalism at all. They say they want up beat happy people, but instead all they get is people that don't give two hoots about their job.
Wouldn't work here, or waist your time applying.
Pros
nothing
A veteran’s POV
Bowling Technician/Customer Assistant/Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire18 November 2018
For those starting out in work whilst juggling with studies, this is a good option. Ok, the pay isn’t great versus what is expected of you, but, it’s the service industry and it’s a sociable job in a family oriented setting. I know of worse places to work. I did 14 years in the company and I’m lucky to say that I’m one of VERY few that knows everything about the industry. I’d go back given the right opportunity.
Pros
Sociable job
Fun people, poorly organised management
lane host (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh, Hampshire9 November 2018
A typical day at work would involve setting up the bowling lane and making sure the customer knew all about the equipment and safety rules. You would respond to any 'sos' calls made by customers and would respond and liase about technical faults on the lanes as well as manage food orders.

The most enjoyable part about working for the company were the people it attracted, staff and customers. I made many good friends and had a lot of fun working with my colleagues.

The worst part about working for the company is that the budget is very limited so hours were cut often, especially in the summer season. The management works on a top-down hierarchy and the tiers don't communicate with each other so issues with centres won't be dealt with quickly. The salary is also low for the role and responsibilities you have (minimum wage).
Pros
fun people, fun atmosphere, learning potential
Cons
low salary, long hours, poor management
Can be fun
Technician (Former Employee) –  Oxford8 November 2018
It can be a fun place to work and learn alot of new things but the hours are v
Completely unsociable yes you can work past midnight even 1am somtimes and be expected to work again in the morning at 9 ,, work weekends
On and off
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham7 November 2018
Employees can be nice to work around however many of the customers were quick to complain over the smallest of inconveniences. Overall, an okay and basic experience of hospitality.
Don't care for the staff
Technician, team leader and manager (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom20 October 2018
Worked with the company for over 10 years, they do not care for any team members. Make you overwork while only paying minimum wage. No rewards for working hard. Technician means house maintenance which is cleaning toilets and fixing things that would cost the company hundreds to get fixed. Best thing I ever done was leave.
Pros
You'll loose weight with all the hard work you have to do
Cons
Bad pay and no thanks for anything
Horrible
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Kent17 October 2018
Worst job I’ve ever had. Some staff are nice but they stab you in the back. Other staff are horrible and make comments about you and never get in any trouble for it. Management don’t have a clue and the pay is ridiculous. They also have a serious pest problem. Hours are ridiculous and the only benefit you get working there is the free bowling, and even that is rubbish because most of the time the lane breaks. Not worth getting a job there.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, rubbish pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hollywood Bowl Group. Our community is ready to answer.