Hollywood Bowl Group

Hollywood Bowl Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom361 reviews
Nice Colleagues - Poor Management
Worked with some really friendly people and had fun working with them but management had obvious favourites and didn’t care much about well being. Students contracted for part time get put on full time hours, purposely understaff you to save on payroll and then complain when your ability to serve customers well suffers, and pick and choose who the rules apply to. Qualified people were turned down jobs because they already knew some employees (family/friends/etc) but turned a blind eye to employees dating even though it interfered with how they worked together on shift. That, and the pay and benefits are low for the workload they gave some of us. Honestly I loved my actual job and have made good friends out of some of my colleagues but the way that centre was managed is not worth it if you don’t want drama or you want to have a life outside of it.
Terrible experience
There's a reason why they constantly have so many open vacancies - because everyone gets put off and quits, or even gets fired!! Company only defend themselves and don't care about your wellbeing. Students were constantly used for overtime and under 18s were often made to work until at least 12am sometimes starting at 10am next morning. Was a good beginning and had real potential that turned into a worse ending. Met some good friends for life there though - that is about the only benefit! On the whole very poor and often very biased management.
Pros
Discounted food, paid breaks, paid holiday
Cons
Poor management, no care for wellbeing, unsociable hours, understaffed shifts, stressful environment
Great place to go. Awful place to work.
I had been going here since I was a baby, loved the place. I was very much a regular, especially as I got older, my mate and I would always make time to go. We loved it so much we wanted to work there. HUGE mistake. While I found bartending a lot of fun, the behind-the-scenes of Hollywood Bowl was miserable. The managers was awful people, extremely unfair and spoke to us like scum, except for one who of which I later found out was fired for an honest mistake. At the time I was 20 years old and was only paid £5.30 an hour of which I was only doing part-time, they then cut my days down to 2 and my friend down to 1 just because we asked for a certain day off and last but not least, I was threatened that I'd be fired if I couldn't get someone to fill in my position when I had an extremely personal family matter going on at home. That's when I quit. It was a lot of fun going there to hang out, but never again would I work somewhere that I enjoy. If I could give it 0 stars, I would.
Overall fun and ever changing
No one day was ever the same. Dealing various different issues each day kept me on my toes. Customer interaction was always a key part of Hollywood Bowl and i always felt valued.
Alright but not for a Permanent job
I did love working here and still do miss my job. However management changed a lot and the new manager is not great he clearly has favourites. We are often under appreciated for the amount we do on shift. The place is big and has numerous work stations. No one was allocated a work space so we had to organise all of that ourselves. The staff themselves are wonderful. Very welcoming however there is a huge turnover rate and no one usually stays for long. It is very fast pace and does keep you on your toes. You have to be ready to take on multiple jobs at once and do over time we are also understaffed a lot of the time
Enjoyable fun workplace, the team at Tolworth are lovely bunch
A day in the life of Hollywood bowl is never the same, there is always something new and interesting to do.
Throughout my time at HWB many skills and traits have been learned, from all different departments and management programs.

The current management team is awesome and all have their strengths in different ways, which really makes the team out-perform up to such good standards.

The job itself isn't hard, which is why I enjoy working here.
A good place to work if under 25 or only looking part time (16 hrs ) say as will work on a shift pattern that you have no control over as such or which area you will be working sometimes
Very Demanding
When I first joined I love it, the management and rest of the team were amazing and it felt like a close knit team to be in. However as managers changed and the team changed, the communication fell and resulted in rotas being terrible for everyone and a feeling of nothing being done to improve the situation. The management team mean well but aren't on the same page so there are many mixed signals about what is expected.
Awful
Definitely not paid enough for the way you're treated. No care for wellbeing. Often no 11 hour breaks between shifts (finish work at 1:30am, get home for 2am, expected to be back at 9am), and even only 20 mins break for a 10 hour shift. Management expect so much from you, without giving you anything back. Talked down to, etc. Could go on.
good people
Most people working are easy to get along. fridays and saturdays are the busiest aside from half term and holidays. management often understaff busy days and can be stressful if not in the right mind frame. a couple ways to progess and advance, recognition for hard work through awarded pin badges. monthly team meetings and awards.
Pros
discount on and off shift
Cons
unsociable hours and under staffing
Expect a lot
High turnover of staff as ask too much for minimum wage. Sign a low hour contract - some weeks work 40 hours some weeks 8. Paid every 2 weeks but everyone except managers on minimum wage. Fast-paced, stressful situations. Work was okay but full of gossip/ unprofessional behaviour.
Awful
Shifts vary so much from 3 hours to 10 hours, understaffed shifts make it incredibly stressful, rotas are consistently changed and sometimes not released until the week before your shifts. Co-workers were fairly nice but management varied. Good for a first job in order to gain experience but not really worth it in the long term. Honestly my favourite part was probably the discounted food! Be careful with this job and make sure you set your availability from day one otherwise you’ll be expected to work constant overtime whenever without being asked first.
Pros
Discounted food, free bowling, nice co-workers, good experience
Cons
Stressful, last-minute rotas, unsociable hours, little support
High school 2.0
Minimum wage isn't worth it.
Customers treat everyone with disrespect.

Massive divide between each department.

Get in with the management or get holidays denied.

Managers turn a blind eye to popular team members.

Managers typically micro-manage you on busy shifts.

Good managers & team members typically leave to find other work.

30% off drinks and free bowling is fine (if you're an alcoholic).

You get the most satisfaction from this job by going in on days off watching team members on shift suffer under short staffing, clueless new-starters & peak times, all while casually chatting to the managers on shift because that's what they mostly do.

20 minute break for 6-8 hours btw.
Time at Hollywood bowl
I worked my way up at Hollywood bowl, if your willing to put the time and effort in what you put in is what you will get back. I was there a short time early as much as I could then went onto the amit programme because of the current manager and what she seen in me. This gave me the skills and qualities I needed to progress in my life and I would have never left the job if it wasn’t for personal reasons.
Terrible
Worst management I have ever experienced, avoid at all costs, centre manager is horrible and couldn’t care less about her employees, the job is fine but she makes it unbearable
Ok
Ok place to work. Its stressful and fast place. It's a tough job. I did enjoy my time but theres no communication and the pay is not great especially for the area.
Hollywood bowl
Past pace and very demanding due to oxford united football team but very rewarding for personal development and growth. I feel as a manager you need to ensure your abilities to run multiple departments is always on point.
Stressful work for little pay
Stressful from the start..
You work long hours with no breaks and very little pay.

Since I been working there I've seen 53 team members and 7 managers leave never known of such high turn over!
Pros
Team members
Cons
Pay and very poor work life balance
It was ok
Great staff management was okay for some parts. If your looking for a chill job you can do that doesn't pay all that much then go for it.pay is pretty bad though.
If your face doesn't fit out you go.
Team yeah right, it's all cliche and if you don't fit with any of them you're out the door. Management aren't helpful they care more about money than supporting staff with mental illness.
worst place - Bracknell
I worked there for 2 months and although I can't help the travel being delayed they are the type of people, management, to not allow you to be late but would like it when your on time or early. All be it I enjoyed working there and the team are nice however the communication is so poor that no one knows when food is ready, especially at the weekend. Started in the kitchen with little to no help from anyone, even asked for help and training from management but never received any.
Pros
30% off food and drink, free bowling games
Cons
poor communication, poor management, poor working conditions and lack of training