Holland & Barrett Employee Reviews

Very dull place to work left to run a shop with hardly no product knowledge and a new person
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, Essex17 June 2018
Avoid this job if you want to be depressed and over worked worst job iv ever had no pay for staying late to cash up had three weeks training then was handed keys to run shop and training was very basic customers are ok some are very rude targets are way to high and work load to much for such poor pay cleaning toilets would be more fun and most staff don't have a clue about the products they just make it up as they go along very wrong but they get away with ii! Was left to run a store with a trainee having only been there for 10 weeks myself management don't care just tell you to get in with it absolutely appalling.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Where do I start
Need good understanding of health
Sales Assistants (Former Employee) –  Bridlington23 May 2018
You will need to take in house exam at the end of extensive self study. but very interesting. Good communication skills and friendly approach is must,
Pros
commision
Cons
long sundays working alone
Got bullied out of my job
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Romford, Greater London23 May 2018
So myself and five other employees got completely bullied out of our jobs by the manager. We Informed head office of what was going on in the store and they all stuck by the manager even after evidence was given to prove our grievances
Lots of unlawful things going on with in the romford store and the manger there is not mentally stable. If anything does go wrong with in the store don’t expect any help or support from head office
Pros
Non
Cons
To many to list
Excellent!!!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Skegness, Lincolnshire14 May 2018
Worked around my child care. over time when needed. over 6 weeks paid holiday. learning new things everyday. Manager was amazing and so friendly. Wish i didnt leave.
Unenthusiastic
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  East Grinstead27 April 2018
I was not thoroughly supported through my experience as a collegue. My manager was lazy and when I confided him that I was struggling with learning the products he said "just quit then". I expected to be supported but I was shut down.
Pros
Lunch hours
Cons
Hard work but not appreciated
SENIOR MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Midland21 April 2018
Force to work long unpaid hours
Victimise for many reasons like customer reviews
Not paid for the knowledge
Too much in-house training but wages still minimum wagers
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Many
Good place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Amersham12 April 2018
good place to work, very busy, some development f you work hard, people are generally nice, customers are usually good, some are short tempered, good customer service experience
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Grumpy customers
Do not work here
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  South West6 April 2018
Worked for the company for years. Changed higher management so many times, Nothing was passed on regarding sensitive information. Long hours, no real reward for it. Having to ask for help to get days off sometimes working 56 hours a week with no days off. Unrealistic targets and only training for products. You can advance easily in this company however be prepared to ask for more training over 100000 times. Only good part of working there is that you can get some really nice customers and colleagues. If I knew what I do about the company now I would NEVER of taken the job.

Typical day revolves around trying to get enough staff in the door to be able to run the shop correctly, having to deal with rotas, cleaning and general tasks with no support and minimum staff levels. A LOT of lone trading and having to hold your bladder and skip lunch, if you even get a lunch break you would be VERY lucky. Higher management do not take your grievances into consideration properly. All staff are then stressed which causes bad tension.

Always issues with pay/commission (although they do get sorted quickly)
Pros
Some nice customers, Product training is good, Staff are funny and nice to work with.
Cons
Long Hours, Lack of trust and support, lone trading, upper management have the people skills of a wet paper bag or a chocolate tea pot, staff are over worked and under paid, no supporting training, no support from ASM, RSM or HO. Communications come through a lost pigeon I believe.
Productive workplace, good management relationships
Full time store supervisor (Former Employee) –  Exeter30 March 2018
Working at Holland and Barrett was interesting, I applied to be a store associate but when I started I was given the job of supervisor, my contracted Horus for 21 but I worked 35+ hours. There was a good vibe in the shop and I worked with good people, the problem was that if one worker wasn't a team player and didn't come in to work (as often happened with one teammate) I would be asked to cover - this was annoying as I felt like I had no life work balance.

There is always opportunity for training and promotion, including bonus's, commission etc. You do get back what you put in so if you work hard you get more benefits.
However the customers in H&B were honestly the most difficult - you are trained to know all the products etc so you get asked so many questions, which in my opinion should really be answered by a qualified pharmacist or doctor - for example people will come in saying they have aching knees or something, then I have to suggest a product which will help them.

Overall pretty good job, easy going and not stressful. I would work here again if I needed a job. You can easily earn a lot of money if you need to and if you put the hours in.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Long shifts
Educational
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Godalming, Surrey26 March 2018
- A typical day is serving customer's and day to day of management
-I have learned all aspects of Natural healthy products
-My manager who trained me was very knowledgeable
-The hardest part was the lack of staff
-Achieving a rewarding sale
Pros
Amount of Training
Cons
Lack of staff
Horrible place to work
Ses advisor (Former Employee) –  London25 March 2018
This company has no respect for their employees. Salaries being cut, not paid for overtime. Ridiculous 5am start, management is unsupportive and unprofessional.
When I left I didn't receive my sick pay until I threatened them with legal action.
Don't work there!!!!!!!
Pros
Staff disccount
Cons
Long hours, not being paid, unproffesional staff
Well Organised
picking and packing (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent21 March 2018
I gained experience when talking through headsets, this job made me more responsible and less reliant on others. My workplace was very crowed. Management was very good and understanding.
Pros
Christmas Dinner
Cons
Long Hours
Fun place bad management
Assistant Manager & Store Manager (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe21 March 2018
The store had an amazing shop manager when I started. I quickly became assistant manager and the team was fun and easy to work with. Then, they changed our Area Manager and he managed to kick everyone out of their jobs by cutting their hours and demoralising them. He sent me to be the main manager of a different shop that costed me £200 per month and lied to me about the opportunity. Also, when my father was about to pass away and I got told by total surprise he asked me to stay in the shop during that day, his main concern was the business although there was enough people to cover and he kept pestering me during the following days as he did not believe that what was happening was true.
Pros
Fun if you have a nice manager
Cons
Awful when the wrong manager comes into place- unreliable contract
Hard going
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Essex20 March 2018
The hours are long and the money is not that great you have to learn so much about the products this isn’t any shop job you have to know your stuff and have to learn it in your own time you don’t get paid for this I use to dread going in some days as costumer s can be nasty not all of them and there’s a pressure to know everything about people health having said that I did learn a lot and it was nice when I could help people some think your a nurse or doctor staff were nice but manger had his favourite and was so unprofessional at times it was a joke would I go back there again no. Think before you do it’s more then just a shop job can be very stressful specially signing people up with a loyalty card when they don’t want one
Pros
Commission and discount
Cons
Long hours poor wages rude customers
A place to learn and advance.
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wallasey, Merseyside14 March 2018
A good company in my experience,lots of knowledge gained and more to learn. A pleasant working environment and it feels like you can really make a difference to peoples lives by helping them live a healhier lifestyle.
Pros
Commission
Cons
All the learning potentially daunting to some.
Ridiculous Overtime
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  North East12 March 2018
Put you in for overtime without asking or making sure you are available. Make you feel bad for saying no. Guilt you into working during your weeks holiday. Don't care about your well being or safety.
Emotionally draining and stress creating
Supervisor/Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Devon7 March 2018
I worked in a relatively small store making it too close. Everyone brought their personal problems to work, so you're being paid to deal with customers problems and the problems of everyone else. Extremely unprofessional.
There's also a lot of pressure to pass tests which isn't too much of a problem, but I have yet to receive my certificates from over 1 year ago.
The hours are rubbish, they say you can advance (which I have yet to see, and advancing to management is not worth the added stress), and there will be opportunities to work more, but only if you want to travel several miles to work in different stores (they will pay for you travel which is good).
All the company cares about is numbers. Management skills of those in charge of stores is poor; I have never been so paranoid going to work and also leaving work, a day off doesn't feel like it really is because 9/10 the staff and management text on your days off as well, whether it be about things to do with work; asking where things are and if you have seen something, so there is no respite from the job. It's a small and measley store job, there shouldn't be the level of stress and anxiety you feel to come along with it.
Discount is good, 25% off year round and then 50% off for a few days before Christmas. Commision is also okay as long as you meet the criteria to get yours.
Pros
Discount and commission
Cons
No advancement, minimum hours, poor management, poor staff, and high amounts of stress.
Without doubt the worst company I ever worked for
Sales (Former Employee) –  Head Office15 February 2018
I was a head office employee.
The management are arrogant and worse still bullying.
Huge staff turnover thanks to intolerable treatment.
Wouldn't trust any of the senior people as far as I could throw them.
Management style involves shouting at people until they cry.
You're expected to do very long hours and give up your own time for no reward.
Avoid this employer at all costs.
Pros
I can't think of a single one.
Cons
Bullying management, unpleasant, ruthless culture.
Poor management and pay
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dover, Kent13 February 2018
Tiresome job which included traveling for training. Very underpaid but stressful and tiring job. I became ill through stress working here as a supervisor and when I handed my notice in they had the cheek to advertise my replacement as £2/ hour more without ANY training that I had taken..diabolical
Pros
Learning the products
Cons
Upper management, poor pay, working all hours all year round
Slave Labour
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire13 February 2018
all training is expected to be done in your own time, unpaid.
Managers hide away from the tills and don't really do their job while being very happy to tell staff off for not asking every customer if they want a loyalty card and then attempting to force them into getting one.
Staff are very patronising and unprofessional and you are expected to learn a lot for minimum wage pay. The training is supposed to be A level but is all multiple choice questions and only covers the very basics of what they sell.
Pros
Discount, but it's still cheaper to shop in other places
Cons
Unpaid training, terrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holland & Barrett. Our community is ready to answer.