Holland & Barrett

Holland & Barrett Employee Reviews

United Kingdom470 reviews
ok place to work
ok place to work

lots of changes in management going on

flexible approach to work life balance

great gym

communication isn't great within the business
First job
Holland and Barrett was my first job out of high school. It was a good job as it opened my eyes to the world of retail. It was fun learning if about all the different products we provided. It was fast paced sometimes on a busy day. We put stock away and worked on the tills.
Could look after their staff more
Although rate of pay isn't bad they need to think about welfare of their staff also.
Good benefits and good team. Would recommend to others just a shame that the higher bosses don't seem to appreciate their staff.
Is good life
I had a very nice experience at Holland and Barrett. I learned About health and wellness. I improved my life style and gained confidence. I am very grateful for the opportunity.
Lovely team, terrible company
3 years with the company I suffered terribly from stress and exhaustion! After stepping up to manager I no longer had a life outside of the company, I would get calls on my time off, work overtime but not get paid for it, ended up working solidly for 4 weeks over the summer as they refuse to supply stores with cover.
Pros
Meet lovely people, interesting training
Cons
No support from management, no life outside of work, customers are very rude all the time. Will end most weeks crying.
You learn a lot
If you are interested in Health products, such as vegan/vegetarian, gluten free, it's a nice place to work.
Whether you enjoy work or not depends on the manager and colleagues.

The atmosphere vary store to store.

You need to pass lots of exams and you have to keep up your knowledge by doing training update every 2 weeks.
Poor
Bullying is the norm at Nuneaton. When you complain it is brushed under the carpet. All directors cover themselves up. Please think about joining them unless you want to get ill from bullying.
Terrible company to work with
A place that encourages gossiping and back biting. Incompetent managers that have worked for the company for years. All about hitting targets. No care for staff. Management that lies. Dont trust any manager, make sure you get everything in writing. Contracted days and hours are not honoured. It's all about making money for the company. Staff personal safety is not a priority!
great work environment
Great young group, retail can obviously be fast paced so time pressures arise but not an issue if you prefer that environment. Big company but entrepreneurial approach.
Great Job
I was happy to work in Holland &Barrett and be able to learn more about health, wellness and diet supplements . My working hours were flexible. I would recommend the job to my friends
demanding
Goal orientated, not driven by actual hard work, pay is not all that good for the amount of work, stores are typically outdated. management is strictly about making money and not actually about passion.
I refused their offer of a perm role as I had zero confidence in the finance director.
Payment software only working 50% accurately, Reviewed invoice payment processes, began temp fix of me and three staff manually reconciling supplier invoice statements while IT fixed the software issue, three months and two unsuccessful IT fixes later I was offered a perm role as team lead managing three payment staff.
Pros
Cafe does healthy food
Cons
When the finance manager goes to lunch all work slows to a crawl, their lunch was usually under two hours long.
Stressful Environment
The in-depth training was excellent but you have a very short period of time to learn and pass a series of modules. The upside is you do have a recognised qualification at the end of it. Sadly no physical copy of the certificate, which would have been lovely, A keen interest for learning about supplements, vitamins and protein shakes etc in a classroom environment is an absolute must.

The downside was the store manager who was stressed out all the time and would pass that stress down to the staff. Sometimes forcing staff to work later and later (unpaid), make some of the staff come in at very short notice, but what was worse was that he would encourage the staff to take short cuts on health and safety issues, that was the last strew for me so I left. Little or no support from the area manager either.
Hard Thankless Work
When I first started working there I was excited as I thought it would be an interesting retail role.

I was given a few weeks to get use to the role but immediately I was expected not only to understand how everything worked: computer systems, daily duties etc. But execute every sale perfectly, while having to study in my own time and during my breaks as the store was horrendously understaffed.

Targets set for Membership card, Magazine sales and Counter Offers are ridiculous. No matter how you ask a customer if the want any of the above be prepared to be criticised for not doing it right, ‘don’t ask them, tell them’ or ‘if they say no, keep pushing the benefits’ this drives away sales not encouraging them. More senior staff tend to push customers to the point of bullying them, getting them to buy whatever so they can just finish paying for what they actually wanted.

When a little old lady comes in to buy her dried apricots she’s not going to want a protein bar or men’s magazine, but if you don’t ask you’ll get told off.

When people come into the store my first priority is helping them, I will recommend as many items as I think would be beneficial and don’t push customers to buy everything I recommend. I don’t view the customers as walking bags of money I see them as real people with real problems. And I’m not going to exploit these people issues to squeeze every penny I can out of them. But that is exactly what the management expects of you.

Relief, Prevention, complimentary. Be prepared to hear that constantly. Someone comes in for some Vitamin D. Probe them
 - more...
Fun place to work if right store and team
fun and interesting place to work as long as you have the right team and are willing to put in the time and effort to learn the info you need. lots of tests and training which is great as you learn a lot.
some questionable regional managers tactics, focusing on strange things,
Thrown under the bus
I used to enjoy the job...used to be excited to go to work. But work life balance got out of control...weeks of doing 60 hours a week because couldñt get cover because everyone else was in the same boat. Eventually I gave in and resigned...
Felt as though I had no real support when situations arose. I still love the brand and still tell people the best thing to buy for ailments...but I was let down by upper management's
Would definitely not recommend working at holland & barrett
Bad management, poor pay, unsociable hours. Short breaks. On feet all day. Treat well educated, experienced people like imbeciles. Menial tasks
The only good thing is the training, which is detailed and you learn a lot
poor
the payment is not great, u work hard or not they do not appreciate, the more you work the more they persecute you, cut your hours and there is not someone to value people which work hard or give them any bonus which makes people leave holland and barrett time after time. is like machine, they train staff but they leave quickly. lots of commercialism in the payslips, they try to steal holiday hours. no drinking water, no coffes and nothing to protect from health and safety. very very poor sector

no and not pay correctly. they dont offer free drinking water, no free co
A very good place to work
I enjoyed my time here and only left as I went on maternity leave and then my husbands job meant we relocated to Dorset and so was not able to return. The staff are lovely and helpful. All training is given and lots of opportunity for extra training, and job advancement. I went in as a temp and was taken on full time from there.
Proper management
Sometimes you work with friendly colleagues and other times grumpy ones. You will find yourself working extra hours or by yourself because other people don’t want to help
Stressful
Starting out you get thrown into a stupid amount of studying. I actually enjoyed in the end. But as further i as i get being a Supervisor currently Jan 2020 gets £9.51 which for the stressed caused just is not worth the money. Especially when lesser jobs in other companies offer more money for less complicated jobs.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holland & Barrett. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8