Holiday Inn

Holiday Inn Employee Reviews for Receptionist

Receptionist126 reviews
United Kingdom126 reviews
Besides the absurd idea of a standing reception during the night, many tasks we were asked to do were repetitive and done automatically by the computer (just needed a bit of computer knowledge).
Coworkers talking on each other's backs; progress is not meritocratic yet changes on the people you know and on 'how long you have been there.

It's always someone else's fault, very hard to find people (both coworkers, subordinates and managers) who can actually take responsibility.
I have learned a lot from my colleagues at holiday inn... I think I am able to accept more challenges in that work. From the beginning I was feeling comfortable with the environment with my colleagues, they did support me a lot. I had the skills to afford to all the difficulties.
Very nice work environment, the team is great, the management is very good, demanding greatness and putting guest first. Communication between departments is very good.
A great place to work with!

The culture of the company and the people that work there really make it a great place to work. Exciting and challenging place to work.
I worked for a frenchise hotel, cannot really say anything about the company itself. It was an interesting experience, felt scared from gm who frightened me to go against him when i realised how big mistake they made on my contract
Great place to start your career. Multitasking on daily basis gives you experience needed in any other hotel or office job. This job is giving you great opportunity to work on your guest relations skills for example.
It was a good place to work at first and I still enjoy my job but there was a change in Front of House Management, now it is horrible. You raise issues and you are promised that they will be looked into, "just give us time" they say but nothing changes. The manager's attitude is awful, I'm sure she has bipolar or ego issues.
The place in general is tough, they want the figures and scorecards and reviews to be up there with the best. We even hand out chocolate bars to guests when they check out in the hope they will give us a good review.

The whole hotel needs looking at, so many maintenance issues that are not getting fixed. No heating at the moment in a few rooms in November, USB ports next to beds in rooms do not work, taps drip, no handle on a window, door lock broken for 2 months at least, the button on the phones in rooms for room service is incorrect but it cannot be changed, the phone on reception crackles so bad you cannot hear the caller. We are on reception on our own trying to check guests in whilst answering the crackling telephone. You get questioned when you don't sign guests up to the IHG reward club. You have to print out a report every 2 hours but sometimes there is a queue of guests to check in and this is not possible as the report takes around 3 mins to print so they question why it wasn't done on time.

We are often overbooked on a Monday and Tuesday evening so have to find rooms for booked guests in alternative hotels in the area then tell the guest that they are staying somewhere else when they arrive in the hotel, what a joke!

I only lasted 5 months,
 - more...
Worst job I’ve had team members were fine it was the supervisors and managers that were awful they treat you like your thick so rude way they speak to you don’t know how half of them became supervisors theres no training given to u most of the time trying to figure out what to do if u ask same question or ask for help supervisors especially used to get annoyed with you horrible place to work stay away I left in under a month
Awful workplace, expected to be a waitress and general skivvy when you’re a receptionist

General manager is terrible she does not have a clue and all the staff leave because of her and higher management. No one cares about you as a human being, staff turnover is terrible
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
A typical day involved dealing with customers , handling cash , communicating with colleagues . Handling phone calls.
I learned how to multi-task with being on the phone , talking to guest and using the computer system at the same time.

The hardest part of the job is that sometimes when its busy it can become extremely stressful.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Holiday Inn?
Nice people welcoming and made feel comfortable pleasant place to work showed interest and put thought into the day of work experience for the week for us
the job was very grateful with regards my expectations in London and what I learnt was brilliant for my future also just to say that the long hours at job were bad
I'm a bubbly out going person love working as a team meeting new people if i can put a smile on there face or help them with anything that they may need help with then that will make my day too. I am also willing to learn new things to help me improve myself.
Holiday inn is by far the worst place I have worked at. They do not train their new staff until a month later. This also includes the lack of training they promise to give within the interview, an example of this was my health and Safety training which was not shown to me until a month after getting the job. I worked at holiday inn express next to royal Albert and the management are incredibly hostile and unwilling of teaching/training new comers. Holiday inn Express is by far the most hostile working environment to work in and I would not recommend. They are nasty and also passive aggressive.
Pros
Cons
Long hours no breaks
Really catty office full of lots of drama. You would bend over backwards by doing extra shifts and working in other holiday inns in the UK when they needed staff and were never recognised. Unsociable shifts and very low pay. Staff food is not free considering you would spend so much time there. You were often put on a 3pm-11pm shift (meaning you would get home around 12) and be expected back in at 7am (meaning getting up at 5:30am). This job was not worth the stress that came with it . When I first got this job my contract stated I would be on 8.30 an hour but on my first wage slip I was only paid at 5.90 an hour. When I questioned it they stated it was a mistake on my contract and I either had to sign a new contract on the lower wage or they would sack me.
Pros
staff discounts due to cairn group
Cons
everything else
The hotel itself isn’t the best! it’s good until you find something more permanent. Management isn’t the best! They care more about making money than the staff! Only good thing is talking to the guests! I wouldn’t ever recommend anyone to work for this company! I’ve also spoke to people in other holiday inn express hotels who say the same!
The Holiday Inn Zoo is a very good place to work, staff and managers very friendly. The job in the reception is easy and relaxed, managers are the best.
fun to work for but pay was shocking! i was on 7.83 an hour while my colleagues were all on 8.21 even though i had the most experience! we got free meals however.
work experience here was very fun and productive as i learnt many things. i also enjoyed working here as the staff were very friendly.i enjoyed it here.
I helped the receptionist assist customers and made bookings fro the,. I.collected room cards from customers who were ready to leave and made sure that rooms were clean and ready on time for new customers.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Very busy
Its a good place to work, pay could be better for the amount you have to do. I had several Managers during my time there but all were supportive, you get free lunch during shifts but be aware if you on the front desk on your own you can get away for brakes.