HobbyCraft Employee Reviews

Head Office is toxic
Anon (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Dorset5 October 2018
Awful people who have no regard for you as an individual. You are expected to work 12 /14 hour days but there is no team support. You work on fear of losing your job. Senior management are rude
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else
Productive. Can be fun and ideal if your into crafts and art
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thanet District, Kent14 September 2018
Learnt a lot in my 3 and a half years working here.
Very productive and if you want to progress the option is there.
Management could be supportive and training was always carried through and checked.
Only negative was we was always short staffed and only part time hours available to general assistants.
Pension scheme and holiday pay offered.
Lovely team of people to work with despite lots of faces coming and going.
Retail was not for me anymore but still a great place to work.
Pros
Free training. Pension scheme. Great team to work with.
Cons
Low Pay. Only Part Time Hours.
Friendly but hard to enjoy.
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire6 September 2018
A typical shift is 4 hours which isn't bad at all but the jobs are repetitive and it is hard to get overtime as they are struggling to stretch the budget.
The management is okay but it does depend on the moods they are in. They also struggle to praise you for doing a good job or going an extra mile and are quick to just move you onto the next job as soon as possible.
Pros
25% discount on all things including sale items.
Cons
Shifts do drag.
Productive and inspiring
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Crewe, Cheshire6 August 2018
I very much enjoyed working at hobby craft as I was able to overcome some obstacles such as social anxiety and lack of confidence within myself. It was incredibly inspiring to be exposed independently to the workplace to do things on my own and learn from mistakes.
Pros
Hour long lunches
Cons
Slightly boring
Fun workplace, great colleagues.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Livingston20 July 2018
Working at Hobbycraft involved many different types of roles to be carried out such as working on tills, stocking shelves, showing customers around or carrying out demonstrations. My confidence and knowledge increased and I also gained a lot of experience in retail. The management team are very helpful and welcoming. The workplace culture was fun and positive as everyone gets along with each other and everyone is approachable. The hardest part of the job is probably trying to find certain products for customers as they can be asking for a certain product you haven't heard of, but I eventually found out the uses and placement of the product for future references. The most enjoyable part is carrying out demonstrations and workshops for children as it can get messy and fun.
Pros
Discount on products and working with children.
Cons
Long hours, some pressure included.
fun place to work
General Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Southampton7 July 2018
There is a balanced day rota each day putting pout stock, answering the public their questions, get along with most colleges. The hardest part of the job is dealing with unpleasant customers, the enjoyable par of the job is undertaking demos which involves slime making with the public.
Pros
25% discount
Cons
low pay and wanting more hours
Fun and comfortable workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield30 June 2018
A typical day at work would include working on the tills and refurbishing stock. Hobbycraft has a pleasant working environment and calm atmosphere; the store is a fun place to work if you are interested in Arts and Crafts.
Pros
Worker's discount
Cons
Awkward shifts
Very friendly place to work!
Colleague (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon22 June 2018
I have been working at the Plymouth store for about 2 weeks now, and so far it has been a very enjoyable and fun experience. The other colleagues and managers are very friendly, inviting and it makes it seem like a really solid team, as opposed to places I've worked in the past where it has just ended up very catty. The pay is very good, and the 25% employee discount is very nice too! Would definitely recommend working here :)
Pros
Staff discount, Friendly Enviroment
Cons
Poor management, lack of staff, poor attitude to staff
Colleague (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire21 June 2018
There is no progression in this company, full time hours are only available to management. Only employing part time staff means they don’t have to pay you a pension or give you much holiday pay. They kept cutting overtime hours saying they couldn’t afford it but yet were turning a profit of 100 grand. There was a serious lack of staff, management stood around gossiping or sat in the office upstairs and let the few staff members do all the work.

It was unbarebly hot in the summers as no air conditioning and many customers complained but nothing changed. They care more about money then their staff.

Poor communication from management, many managers came and went. There was no training and one girl was given a supervisor role above others with no interview process despite there being better candidates for the role. This caused issues within the team as it was seen as favouritsm

Also the waste created by hobbycraft is disgusting, there is little care for the environment! They throw away perfecting good supplies, they simply do not care and have no value on art and craft. Half the team are interested in art and craft and the other half couldn’t care less. There was no emphasis on getting the staff creating and trying out the products that we were selling as management had no interest in art.

Many staff went off with stress in the time I worked there because they push their staff so hard. Supervisors only get 1 pound more per hour but are expected to do so much more. It was a very negative environment with many staff unhappy and feeling they were not being treated fairly.
  more... The only good things about the job was the discount, the fact the team were lovely people and the customers were also lovely and eccentric. If you are looking for part time hours it’s doable but I wouldn’t recommend being a manager.  less
Pros
Discount
Cons
Poor working conditions
Quite good
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire20 June 2018
Got paid less for the same job as others just because of my age, good discounts and nice staff, recovery was not an enjoyable part of work, couldn't sit down behind tills
Pros
not extremely challenging
Cons
can't sit down behind the till
Productive and fun workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames19 June 2018
I started at Hobbycraft as just a general assistant and love it so much, I became a team leader. It's an enjoyable environment and has a bit of a spin on normal retail.
Pros
good pay, good team, different and more hands on
Cons
unfair management, unfair expectations, turning too american and commercial; no love or care in the business
HobbyCraft - previous management team
GENERAL SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire17 June 2018
I have not worked there for 4 years but when i worked there i did enjoy it, the management team were mostly lovely. some of the team weren't always as enjoyable to work with but that could fluctuate day-to-day
i am unaware of the progression routes through the company as none was offered to me
Pros
Art supplies discounted
Cons
British public
I really like my job.
Colleague (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London9 June 2018
I work there part-time, after few months I got my hours doubled on contract, so if you really want to work there and they need you you can get more hours on contract or as an overtime. As a colleague you can get max 30hrs per week on contract which is still part time. Only full time workers are team leaders and managers.
You should be prepared that the only days off are Christmas and Easter (that’s our bank holidays at hobbycraft), so if you’re lucky and your shift is on these days, you’ll have a day off, yay! You usually can’t use your annual leave before and during these periods as it gets super busy and deliveries are enormous.
The job itself is pretty simple if the store isn’t busy, there’re no bank holidays or half terms. You should be prepared that some customers want to start a new hobby, they don’t know what they actually like and expect you to help them, it’s funny sometimes. Also surprisingly many customers expect you to know everything about every single item in the store + where it’s located. You will be spending your time doing stock, put backs, being on tills, tidying or doing demos or merchandising from time to time all of that under fire of customers’ questions.
What annoys me the most in my job is the pressure on sign ups. Hobbycraft’s loyalty card system doesn’t really give the customers anything valuable so you’ll be often listening to complaints of regular customers that they don’t get any discounts, nor vouchers or they get them very rarely. It’s all about our customers so it’s sad to see them disappointed. We definitely could do more about it, add
  more... some wow factor. Also IT at tills could be improved, it’s sometimes hard to work with slowly responding register, so be prepared, be patient. Overall Hobbycraft is a really nice workplace if you’re with the right team and management. Salary as for retail environment is really decent.  less
Pros
Discount, flexible hours, overtime available
Cons
It can be really busy at times and you have to work under pressure
Former colleague
Stock team (Current Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire6 May 2018
Rubbish company to work for, management treat you unfairly, stock team is disgraceful and rude worse company to work for. Can't wait to leave nothing good about the company.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Disrespectful management are discraceful
Productive and lovely workplace
General Assistant (GA) (Current Employee) –  Havant15 April 2018
Hobbycraft is a lovely place to work for and the staff are excellent! The job itself isn’t that challenging but can be in a fast paced environment in peak times of the year eg: School holidays and public holidays. Overall a great company to work for.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Busy workplace
Enjoyable if you're creative
Team leader (Former Employee) –  london28 March 2018
Really liked working here and the pay is ok.

A typical day included
Jumping on tills when needed.
Taking in and putting out deliveries
Re-merchandising the seasonal area every couple of weeks

Not easy to advance any higher than supervisor as there are very few shops about.
Very customer orientated and customers are encouraged to write in with their experience of your service.
Pros
creativity is encouraged
Cons
trying to get people to sign up to the loyalty cards
Loved it
General Assistant - Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  tunbridge wells8 March 2018
A great, fun place to work.. staff so friendly, customers great.. very flexible with you if you have appointments, commitments etc... good pay for retail, management lovely but hidden away!
Pros
Friendly, salary, holidays
Cons
Management not seen enough
Part timers welcome
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, Greater London5 March 2018
A typical day at work would include putting out the deliveries, and putting back returns/things customers changed their minds on, or put in the wrong place. Serving customers on till, making sure you ask for feedback and whether they'd like to be a part of the priority card... they push for these figures. Daily statistics and everything.
Also to give advice to customers who are wondering around and unsure about things, usually where specific things are or if we have it in stock.
I learned that these 4 hour shifts feel just as long as an 8 hour shift elsewhere.
Most people are friendly and willing to help when you start, but you soon get to know that other people are not enjoying working there and there's a lot more problems than you thought, which puts you off.
Management seem to be busy doing other things most of the time, which is alright, except from when you actually need them. They also don't feel like they're a part of the team, and make unfair accusations and give you difficult tasks to do within a certain time limit if they feel you're not working hard enough. Just to add unnecessary pressure.
The hardest part of the job is expecting to know where everything is, and having to run around the shop trying to find it, especially while the stock gets moved around the shop floor.
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet creative like minded people, and creating display and example pieces, experimenting and demonstrating the tools.

Not recommended unless you only want to do part time work, and don't need extra funds.
Pros
Discount, surrounded by creatives.
Cons
4 hour shifts, so no entitled breaks.
flexible but big on targets
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woking, Surrey22 February 2018
pushes you to get people to sign up to their card. But flexible for my student time table. Also good pay for under 18 year olds and a haven for people who like craft
Pros
good pay
Cons
pushes targets
Nice place to work
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex18 February 2018
General assistant, replenishing stock & serving customers at the till tidying shop floor dealing with customer queries changing displays installing point of sales. Learning about a variety of art and craft products
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Evening work