HobbyCraft Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex18 February 2018
General assistant, replenishing stock & serving customers at the till tidying shop floor dealing with customer queries changing displays installing point of sales. Learning about a variety of art and craft products
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Evening work
Terrible company to work for.
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Northwest14 February 2018
Staff were treated very poorly by management and area manager. Definitely not a good place to work.very stressful and no help offered . Lots of unhappy staff .
Friendly people
Warehouse operative at Hobbycraft (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent4 February 2018
I have worked in Hobbycraft for few months, I enjoyed the job and management, everyone is friendly and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is brake time
Only good thing was the discount
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire31 January 2018
Unfortunately working for this company wasn't a positive experience.

Training was given months too late, some staff were even ignored to take part in training (one new starter wasn't trained to go on till until 6 months into contract). Very slapdash and expect you to pick things up straight away.

Management were an issue, seeing 4 members of upper ranking staff come and go within 8 months. They favoured staff members, usually selecting some for 'easier jobs' or 'to help out in the office' which translated to hours chatting.

Working hours are very sporadic, with early starts at 8:00 and sometimes finishes at 10pm (however I believe they don't make people stay this late anymore) and sometimes pressurise staff to stay later than this if there is a new product or display that needs to be finished (one night we were asked to stay close to midnight to finish cleaning up and moving displays for an audit).

On the positive note the discount is generous at 25%, and some of the staff you encounter are friendly and make the place worth staying in a sense.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Management, long hour, early starts and late finishes, clique team leaders, lack of training
Amazing store products sold by an amazing team. Managers were brilliant, understanding and down to earth. Loved my job in hobbycraft.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire28 January 2018
Had a very high interest and good product knowledge of all stock. This was shown in my confidance within my role. Eventually worked my way up to become part of the management team which i thoroughly enjoyed. The role as customer service supervisor was interesting, fullfilling and very busy. I had the ability to prioritize and multi task within this role with maximum support from everybody within the team. Weekly meetings kept me informed and updated of anything happening and changes within the company. My working enviroment was friendly , clean and enjoyable.
Pros
Store discount, Product trials, Friendly team members, Understanding and flexible management team, Generous hourly rate
Decent
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staples Corner retail park28 January 2018
As soon as i started working they treated me as they should've. Problems occured when i had to tell customers where to look for an item but since i was new there i was unable to help.
Pros
Start at 11AM
The worst company ever.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom29 December 2017
First off, this company is great to work for if you are a student or part-time employee with no overtime objections or issues. Oh, and you get a 25% discount which is quite nice.
That is where it all ends. If you work anything higher than this such as team leader or assistant manager, you will regret ever working here within a few months. This is a company that is unfair and uncaring towards its hard-working store teams. As a great example, Hobbycraft changed our New Years Day open times from Sunday hours to Saturday hours with just three days notice. The hours had been sent down in November!! They don't care about your personal lives or plans. Hobbycraft don't support you when you are off for stress they caused. Hobbycraft sends far too much stock or far too little of the certain stock we need. Hobbycraft has unrealistic KPI targets that stores struggle to achieve in areas. Hobbycraft force more and more work onto the store teams that cannot be done in a reasonable time. The list can go on however some of the truly disgusting acts cannot be mentioned for confidentiality reasons.

My advice is this. If you are in school, bored or want a little bit of cash, join as a general assistant. And stay like that. Never progress as you will be stuck in a role that is underpaid and stressful to even the strongest.
Pros
25% discount, free uniform (It is terrible though)
Cons
Long hours, unfair senior management, no care for personal well being, no support when needed, hours are cut a lot, poor pay for full time roles.
A fun place to work
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire26 December 2017
Great fun place to work, getting to meet people with all kinds of different interests. However the behind the scenes is what let the company down (senior staff).
Pros
Good staff discount
Cons
Holiday entitlement over holidays
fun place to work but busy in the store
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton9 November 2017
checking off stock and putting stock away and in the evening we would face up also working on the tills and using scanning guns to check stock off and pricing items up.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
long hours weeekend work
Awful Company,Bully Culture Throughout.
Colleague (Former Employee) –  England27 October 2017
Awful company to work for,the bully culture come right from the top from the directors.
Having a family is frowned upon,you will be told that you were a better colleague before you got pregnant.
Staffing levels....ha what a joke,massive store run on a skeleton crew and they wonder why service scores are so low.
Pros
Colleagues I worked with.
Cons
The bully culture from top to bottom.
Supportive, motivating and Pleasent
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria25 October 2017
During my time at this store, I have had nothing but positive critism and support in my progression for a future in my retail career. Management are fair and not biased towards any of the colleagues which is sometimes quite rare in some retail stores.

The working enviroment in this store is cheerful, and all colleagues are friendly and helpful.
Current employee
Team leader (Current Employee) –  Carlisle25 October 2017
I love my job at Hobbycraft Carlisle. I've been working here almost two years and I wouldn't be anywhere else.
The whole team are great, and management have always been supportive and welcoming.
We do work hard here and everyone who is willing to do so is hugely valued and rewarded.
Pros
Excellent management
Fun Workplace
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston, West Lothian10 October 2017
Great experience, glad to have taken part in this job oppertunity. I'd have stayed for longer if applicable. Highly recommend the company and what they're about.
Wasn't There Long Enough
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Falkirk, Falkirk28 August 2017
I suppose it was decent. Wasn't made to feel hated but the job is much harder than people assume and they play the same CD every day which is annoying.
Awful
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent15 August 2017
Worst place I have ever worked, sadly I stayed there for at least 3 years and since new management have arrived it's shocking. Avoid where possible!!!
Pros
Leaving
Cons
The management.
Its not about craft anymore
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  England1 August 2017
Don't apply to work here if you think your days will be all about making things. In fact, being creative is no longer a requirement. As long as you tick the target boxes, push pointless loyalty cards, and brown nose the boss, you'll be fine. Management not interested in anything other than making themselves look good, and are happy to throw you under the blame bus. Don't dare to have an opinion or idea, as it will be used against you or 'claimed' as management. If you are happy to be a Retail Robot, then this is the job for you. Don't expect any recognition or praise.
Pros
Home time.
loved working here!!
General Assistant/ Sales Assistant (Part time) (Former Employee) –  staples corner19 July 2017
one of my favourite jobs, was something new everyday and was great to be creative. I created amazing displays and I loved it. I would most definitely work here again if the wages were better.
Good but management was poor
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire17 July 2017
I enjoyed the year that i worked at Hobbycraft. As a sales assistant, the job is extremely repetitive. When i first started, I was not really given many resposibilities, just told to tidy up the shop floor, which i would sometimes have to do for my whole shift. This can get extremely boring.

The management was poor, although they were nice, there was no real managerial aspects to the particular shop i worked in. There was a lot of confusion and the manager had conflict with some of the employees.

I enjoyed working with my fellow employees and made some really good friends!
Cons
Repetitive
Not worth applying to
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Stevenage7 June 2017
This company has no organisation or care when it comes to staff. You receive no training even after 3 months of being there and you are expect to know everything. As for Management they don't really seem to care of running the store. The only good thing about this is the staff that work there make you days fun and exciting. As for the hours they are not the greatest you either work really early mornings at 6am or really late nights till 8.30pm I found this exhausting as i had no social life.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Unpaid, long hours, no social life
Lovely workplace - upper management could improve
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, Greater London3 June 2017
Nice place to work, friendly environment, less pressure from upper management would do store management and employees better stress-wise for sales. Job performance overseen through customer feedback responses, which dampens quality of customer service as it feels fraudulent at times.