HobbyCraft

HobbyCraft Employee Reviews

United Kingdom192 reviews
Good place to work!
Hobbycraft is a good place to work. It's nothing special but never a dull moment as the atmosphere is enough to keep you on your toes. Management are decent and the company provides adequate facilities.
Loved working at hobbycraft
Overall I LOVED working there but I did have a few issues at the time which lead me to leave, manager was under alot of stress not just from the job which effected the staff but have heard they have changed the manager now, some staff were abusive and rude not just to myself but to customers which again has been sorted now as well would love to go back again very fast pace work and it is hard but very rewarding.
Great place to work where you can share ideas and information about crafting projects; the workplace culture is to be helpful and to support each other in all areas.
Terrible place to work
A typical day was starting with Team Leader, he was giving works to his department members, if it was busy, I was able to work in my department, if no, they was sending me on pick (and it doesn't matter, that I was working in my department from the beginning). Coleagues was very friendly, Team Leader was helpful, sometimes following me to the toilet, in the end of shifts was usually watching uncensored content. Job was easy. I learned how to pick, pack, use wrap machine, do put aways, work in a team and other warehouse duties. Management was very weak, most of them don't know how to communicate with people. I was bullied couple of times. Workplace culture, could be good, if everyone would respect the rules. The hardest part of the job was, that I was showing all my effort, but not rated enough. Most enjoyable parts of job is the collective (except managment).
Not a happy place to work
Hobbycraft have no incentive, they just want you to work for free if they could. Not a nice atmosphere as no work relationship can be formed because of the fact they are watch you and expect you to be working silently. No standards in the warehouse. Insufficient training given to those who start on agency.
Demanding and rewarding
Role includes a wide ranged remit, with the chance for an ambitious and willing individual to gain invaluable experience for future development. The working environment is challenging, demands continuous self drive and integrity, whilst offering self reward as an outcome of extensive functional areas that require being covered. Individuals can have strong influence when approaching in the right manner, and the business has a solid growth strategy offering stability and security within the role available.
Depressing, Toxic Environment
Do not work here - you owe it to your mental health. I have seen far too many people come & leave with various disorders. It breaks my heart. Minimum wage. And I mean minimum. Zero training. Ineffective and lazy Management. Bullying culture with Management treating colleagues as an inconvenience.
Great, fun working environment.
Lovely, friendly working environment. Very understanding colleagues and management. Decent staff discount and opportunities for learning new skills all the time.
Generally the customers are pleasant and there are lots of friendly regulars.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at HobbyCraft?
Not a fun place to work - extremely boring
Management is lacking, a bullying environment with no real support from colleagues. Lots of pressure to sign up customers to loyalty cards when the loyalty cards don't even have much benefit so I don't blame the customers for not being interested.
really bad place
really bad place to work.
horrible people, no respect, you are stepping up if you are aaaa licker or you sleeping with managers, managers controlling you all the time e.g walking in aisle and follow you if you are stopped for 1 min, not allowed to drink water too often because of targets...

going toilet being watched all the time, in winter not allowed to go to canteen and get a hot drink to warm yourself as the Bay doors are open all the time so is like working outside for 8hrs. '' Team Leaders'' with no experience racist and no respect showed for all the time. Pregnant womans had to go back on picking and normal fit people been put on light duties instead woman 2 weeks before due. This place is crazy, I could carry on for next hour but I feel sick thinking how much time I have wasted in this place. Since this place been opened only max 5 people left, how many people left with depression and how many people want to forget about this place. NOT WORTHY TO BE TREAT LIKE THE.. DOGS. all what they want to make sure people are running like dogs.

I spend too much time in this place and if havent got connection then you are no one.
Should be great but toxic management
Should be great in theory esp if you're into crafts,art baking etc.however you are constantly playing catchup with late notification of offers and price changes.the customers often can't see the correct price on items and are rightly fed up if items aren't the price indicated or not in stock when told they are.the team leaders are treated very badly,with a lot of pressure and responsibilities put on them for less than a pound more than general assistants.the assitant managers do a lot of work but if they are any good they soon get moved on to another store,to help it improve.no real consistency in management,we had 9 managers in 5 years,all with very different ways of running the teams and slagging each other off.what was once at least a fun place to work initially has now been damaged by toxic managers running the store like a dictatorship and have drained the staff of any enthusiasm and goodwill.
Busy shop
Hard working environment. Need plenty of knowledge in all types of crafts. Only worked part time so sometimes felt as though new products were not explained properly.
Pros
Staff discount
Fantastic team but managers not keen to hear improvements or progress it's long standing staff.
I worked at Hobbycraft for two years, which is nothing in comparison to some of the long standing team. If you can keep up with the amount of times they rearrange the store, you have a fair amount of knowledge either about craft, or you are just playful enough to learn then your onto a winner.
The only downside is that the managers do not do enough to progress the rough diamonds in amongst their team. It was frustrating and upsetting and in turn I began to dislike the place that I so loved because of all the empty promises to work with me on progressing to to a team leader. I didn't have years to give them as life was difficult on so few hours given. You can only do 30 hrs if you are a manger or team leader. Below that your looking at 16-24 hrs which is not sustainable for long periods of time (depending on lifestyle).
Was many miserable people there
The workers in the shop during my time were all very grumpy and unfriendly.
There was very little to no training for staff, especially when it comes to customer service.

As a shy person (and many others being quite and shy) it was needed all the more.
Fun
Nice staff management is great I had the nicest team but due to some problems I had to leave other than that I have literally no complaints what so ever
Pros
Shifts. Ok pay. Manager. Team
Never more
I am on pick. Terrible and dirty workplace, people just working and not really getting in touch with each other. Unreachable targets and getting many rest days. Avoid it as you will not get just max 150£ per week. But if you want a rest day they will kick you out. I will leave it asap.
Nice business to work for.
Exciting business with good structure and future developments. I have worked for the business for over 10 years. Fair company, good salary and holiday benefits
Started ok but rapidly declined when new senior management started
Overall a good experience however very inexperienced managers/team leaders, sometimes treated with disrespect, would not recommend working there unless your looking for a stop gap
Age discrimination
If your under 25 forget it
Youll be paid way less than other workers and you'll be doing the same job or more They use young people and spit them out
Love working for hobbycraft
Working at hobbycraft merry hill, management team are very kind and allows help me to learn and grow in the company. I’m in the process of being an artisan for the company and feel very happy working for the company
Pros
Competitive salary
Good first job
Hobbycraft was a really good first job for me. They were flexible around me going to Sixth form and didnt reall demand to much from me. Their wew some moments when I did end up frustrated but overall they were a really good company to work for and the pays not to bad if I remeber correctly.