HMV Employee Reviews

Enjoyable, rewarding & fun.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Kilbride11 January 2017
Learning about products and absorbing new information regarding artists, films and products is very rewarding. Good working hours and reliable staff.
Pros
Staff, hr lunch, good atmosphere.
Good place to work.
Sales Assistant / Cash Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grimsby6 January 2017
I worked here on a temporary contract over the Christmas period. It was a great place to work, management were very helpful.
i was working as student as work expricens
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Berkshire6 January 2017
good and fun and nice guys working there had a lot laugh and people were nice and decent to me and they still keep in conctat today
Pros
short hours
Cons
not enough people
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex2 January 2017
Great working atmosphere, great colleagues and fun customers. Great discount. Pay could be a little better and the contract security isn't amazing but these are things that could improve overtime.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands1 January 2017
Typically my role was mainly carried out on the tills but I also had to assist with stocking up shelves and communicating with customers in case they were looking for specific items. The people I worked with were all friendly people and you didn't feel bored during periods of calm in the shop. A friendly and rewarding environment to work in.
Pros
Store Discount
Great experience
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea28 December 2016
I was a Christmas temp and had a really good experience working at HMV. The best thing for me was the other members of staff, really nice people who had similar interests to my own (music/film) Most of the regular staff had been there a long time which in itself proves what a good company HMV is. The management were fine (although a bit stressed, it was Christmas after all) but they gave adequate training and support throughout. They even took all the staff out for a Christmas meal (including the 9 or 10 part time Christmas staff.)
On the downside, we had to listen to the same 5 or 6 CDs constantly (Elvis, Xmas, Now 95 etc) this was really frustrating, to be surrounded by so much interesting music and to have to listen this... What was one of the biggest attractions of working for HMV (the diverse music) turned out to be the worst part of the job. Im told that this only happens at Christmas and that they usually have much more freedom during the rest of the year. Also, you are expected to sell store cards something I hated but other people were good at it (They got the permanent jobs). All in all though I really enjoyed my time at HMV.
Pros
Surrounded by interesting music and film and the other members of staff were great, friendly and helpful.
Cons
Had to listen to the same 5 cds for 6 weeks (painful), You're expected to sell store cards and are under pressure to do so.
Fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Workington8 December 2016
Very busy and friendly work environment. A strong interest in music/films and games is strongly recommended. Met some amazing people working for HMV.
Pros
long break
Cons
n/a
Productive and Fun workplace.
FLOOR ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Liverpool15 November 2016
i enjoyed working here the most out of my jobs as i worked with people i liked and was doing things i like i was working around music and DVD's and its something i really enjoy.
Fantastic Job for Any Need
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kettering13 November 2016
Excellent. Take that with a pinch of salt, perhaps, as I'm only 3 months in, but for the first 2 1/2 I didn't have a single bad day. Getting more pressured now that Christmas is approaching, but a great team and reasonable responsibilities help to give support and aid training and progression. The biggest endorsement I can give is most days, when it comes time to go home, if I were asked to stay, I would without much hesitation or disappointment.
Pros
Time goes quickly, Reasonable responsibilities, Good support system, Great co-workers, Great atmosphere.
Cons
None as of yet.
Good company to work for and good friendly working environment
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow4 November 2016
Good overall place to work, I was in this while still studying and it was appreciated in the job. They allowed me to work with a flexibilty that honestly helped me achieve my goals. Some area's where uncomfortable, i.e. the area where price lables are produced was either uncomfortably hot to the point where a sauna would be a pleasing cold chill, or in winter it was more of a fridge.
Pros
Great discount, excellent flexibility, friendly staff
Cons
Uncomfortablely hot when printing labels
Very productive
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Exeter31 October 2016
HMV is a lot of fun if you have a passion for music and films. Mine was only a temporary contract which I was a bit disappointed about as it is a very fun place to work and I really did enjoy it.
Awesome team to work amongst
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eastbourne29 October 2016
I currently work within the retail sector for HMV which I started in November 2015 but had to leave due to lack of hours in march 2016.
I enjoyed my time there and would have stayed on. My role was a shop assistant and my work was noticed as I constantly won prizes for great customer service/sales
After leaving HMV I joined an insurance company
But after 6 months I felt that it weren't for me. And am fortunate enough to be back in HMV
Pros
I love the busy environment
Cons
cannot think of one
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland16 October 2016
I was working for a couple of months at HMV on placement from Belfast Central Training and I enjoyed working for them. I was a sales assistant. I learned how to greet customers in a timely fashion while quickly determining their needs, Recommend merchandise to customers based on their needs and preferences and engage with customers in a sincere and friendly manner. Working as part of their team was very enjoyable.
Pros
Learning something new everyday.
Cons
I was only there for placement.
great place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill, NC4 October 2016
hmv in merry hill is great place to work at all the staff are very friendly and very welcoming. you get great benefits when you work at hmv when you hit targets you get a gift.
Social, Uneconomic, Inflexable, KPI
Stock Processor (Former Employee) –  Erdington, Merlin Park4 October 2016
Social:- everyone is treated fairly equal

Uneconomic:- too many times of no work been available
would work better with a full day with work left over

Inflexable:- lack of store related preferences causes more static work force and bad habits that compound uneconomicness

KPI:- not refined enough to reflect true amount of work, and no allowance for additional tasks
Alright
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames3 October 2016
Working the Christmas period was hectic. On occasion, management made questionable decisions and made it difficult to have a life outside of work.
decent work
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston19 September 2016
It was overall not a bad job, decent colleges, decent manager, nice hours. The hardest part was running out of things to do!
Nice people and environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff4 August 2016
I enjoyed my time at HMV and would like to work there again. I am planning to try again at Christman time when the seasonal positions come up.
Exciting, productive and encouraging workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater1 August 2016
Everyone there was very enthusiastic, approachable and helpful. It was okay to make mistakes and there were always plenty of people there to help. I would work on the shop floor greeting customers, as well as helping them find anything they may need, and I also worked on the tills serving customers. I dealt with returns, exchanges and sales and I got to communicate with many different people. The workplace itself was relatively relaxed and so it was encouraged to talk to customers about the products (such as own opinions about a certain movie and so on).

Working on busy days, like the Black Friday Weekend and Boxing Day was difficult and stressful, and the Christmas period was extremely intimidating, but co-workers and my manager were very calm and we managed to deal with crowds and long lines.

I learned how to deal with different circumstances and how to communicate in situations that I may have previously found intimidating. I enjoyed my experience and was actually pretty upset to leave.
Pros
1 hour paid lunch, great co-workers and a cheerful environment.
Cons
Took up most of my free time, became pretty intimidating with large crowds.
Great store level enviroment
Stockroom Controller / Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole28 July 2016
Great teams make for a positive working environment , although this may vary between stores management in Poole mate great effort to help with work life balance and work on any aspects causing trouble.
Pros
Good discount.