HMV Employee Reviews

really enjoyed
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire22 July 2017
really enjoyed, met great people, nice genuine managers, overall good place, enjoyed and would recommend, could improve with job security and break times
Pros
paid every two weeks
Cons
was only xmas temp
Amazing work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton16 July 2017
Working in HMV was a pleasure, the people who work there are all amazing to work and get along with, they're all easy to get along with, everyone works together in a team well and are just all amazing to work with
Pros
Full of nice people
Easy and fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire12 July 2017
Working at Christmas time was very busy but thanks to being part of a great team this was not a problem. Management were very approachable/ friendly and helpful with anything that was brought up.
Pros
great discounts at HMV
Cons
was very busy at Christmas
Great fun
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stirling5 July 2017
Great management team, entertaining work environment. All employees were great fun to work with and made you feel welcome. Would definitely recommend applying for a job.
Fun
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Lancaster27 June 2017
HMV was a cracking little company to work for. The days flew past with good music and a cracking little team of people that would always go the extra mile for the customer.
Decent workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wood Green17 June 2017
a good work environment I only worked here for a short period but in that time i enjoyed the work. Nights at Christmas were long but well paid. The company itself has been through many tough patches and is still in a lot of debt so job security may be an issue.
Repetitive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe15 June 2017
As hmv only had a few store's left within the UK, it's not really fair of me to judge the remaining stores as I have had some very positive experience's shopping at these few stores. I'm sure that these remaining stores have better work habits and opportunities then when I worked at hmv.
Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth City Centre, Devon13 June 2017
I had a lovely time working at HMV, the people are all lovely it is like one big happy family. I just wish I could have stayed longer but unfortunately there wasn't another contract with the hours I needed. If I could work there again I would in a heartbeat.
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
not enough hours to work
Christmas Temp
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire13 June 2017
Worked at HMV over Christmas period. I was treated well and liked working there with other students. Management were nice and i got on well with everyone. I got paid 5.30 an hour as a 20 year old student its not really much.
fun workplace
STOCKROOM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  WANDSWORTH, UK12 June 2017
This was for my year 10 work experience, my first time in the field. Worked with another friend which had more experience than me, he helped me understand what was required of me during the shifts.
Awful pay, nasty managers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire12 June 2017
Managers were nasty and rude and made me hate coming to work everyday. The pay was ridiculously low and discount was laughable. Hated working here and I will never buy from them as a customer again as I hate the environment now.
Very productive, great atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire12 June 2017
My first job and my best job. It was great being able to talk to customers and advise them on something that you are passionate about and something that you enjoy.
Work Experience
Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston10 June 2017
Only worked here for a week as part of the school work experience program but it was an enjoyable experience and all the staff were helpful and friendly
Hopefully a better place to work now
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol Cribbs Causeway6 June 2017
Management at the time of working in Bristol were generally bullies, and there was a toxic atmosphere. The hardest part of the job was trying to achieve unreachable and unrealistic targets in order to obtain a bonus. After working for Zavvi I watched HMV make the same mistakes that led them inevitably to administration. After eventually making it to a supervisor role, chances to advance were slim, and eventually I lost patience and left the company.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Poor business choices
good for xmas temp
Stockroom assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, UK2 June 2017
Hard to gauge as I was only there as an Christmas temp - and nearly a decade ago. Reasonable place to work. Busy over Christmas. Nothing too demanding.
Brilliant for a part time gig
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate31 May 2017
I had a lot of fun working for HMV, even when working late stacking shelves. I was only a Christmas temp so my time there was limited, however the overall experience was extremely useful and was a brilliant first job.
Pros
Staff discount at christmas time was very useful
Cons
Good experience and great people.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn25 May 2017
My hours were varied but during rush hour I learned to keep up with the fast pace and keeping customers happy. Management was very good, lovely people and made the job a lot easier. The hardest part about the job was taking complaints but I learnt to use them to make my customer service better. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people, they made the job fun and always interesting.
Pros
20% discount.
Cons
My shift were varied.
Just a pay number.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset23 May 2017
In my years at the store we had staff get away with stealing, hitting other members of staff and bullying.
Assistant manager highered a friend of his who talks to customers like rubbish, he would also avoid working and was aloud to get away with it due to being a friend of the A manager. Very hostile environment if you don't befriend the right people.
The company will only treat you as a pay number, very little praise for working hard and very quick to punish you if you don't hit upselling targets such as pure cards.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Dishonest
Christmas Work
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire20 May 2017
This must have been one of the best job I have ever had. I enjoyed going to work everyday because no two days were the same. Working at Christmas meant you were always busy and the time flew by. The team are absolutely amazing and welcome everyone in.
Pros
Christmas work is more fun
Fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire19 May 2017
I enjoyed working at HMV because the other colleagues were helpful and friendly and it was a fun environment to work in. I enjoyed going to work and found that I had still time out of work for friends/family