HMV Employee Reviews

Hectic
Temporary Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon24 April 2017
I worked at HMV temporarily over the Christmas period so naturally the store was at it's busiest time. I did enjoy the role and would not advise against joining HMV i just felt it wasn't a long term option for myself.
Long and enduring.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire19 April 2017
HmV is a good place to work if you want to work hard and not get credited for it. They do provided good incentives but that's down to if your store is hitting target it not, some stuff out of your control.
A fun, passionate and busy place to work
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, UK13 April 2017
Absolutely love working for HMV. Gave me amazing experiences, and gained so much knowledge about the industry. Although stricter than other retail jobs the workplace is still fun making every shift easy to get through. Management of my store couldn't have been more helpful and understanding, not two faced like many I have worked for.
Productive fun place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire17 March 2017
Working for HMV taught me how to place customer orders and how to offer exchanges and refunds. It was a fun, quick paced environment to work in. The management team kept the whole team in order.
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend12 March 2017
Working as part of a team I was responsible for merchandising, stock control and working face to face with customers.

The hardest part of the job was working in the stock room carrying heavy things and putting stickers on every individual cd or dvd

the most enjoyable part of the job was working on the shop floor
job work
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Erdington10 March 2017
This was a good job. But full time staff wasn't very good and lost job down to illness.This job is a picking and you get pulled out infront of other work mate to be spoken to like your a child. this is in faith on you has an employee.
Good work experience
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland10 March 2017
Good, fun, friendly working environment, tasks were well explained for beginning workers, would work there again. Tasks involved putting stickers on products, stacking shelves, helping customers. Management was good. Learned basics about working in a shop.
Best Job I've Ever Had
Seasonal Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex10 March 2017
From the get go I did nothing but enjoy my brief time at HMV: the staff were the friendliest bunch of people I've ever met; the workload always kept me busy and intrigued; and I was always learning new things about the job. Ultimately it never felt like work and not once did I dread going in (I loved it so much I often stayed for an unpaid hour on my shorter shifts). Excellent place to work.
Pros
Hour-long lunches, friendly staff, each day always different, never feels like work
Cons
Occasionally very difficult customers
Happy company to work for
Customer Service Advisor (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London9 March 2017
This was a fun company to work for, its a shame they went into liquidation, the work hours were perfect, I would help customers via phone, email or letter with problems they were having, and enjoyed being able to sort them out leaving them happy with the experience, I also learned how differently HMV were with their customer service so this was interesting, the job was never hard as you just had to ensure the customer was satisfied whilst following company procedures, the whole day was enjoyable, everyone was friendly
Work Experience
Store assistant (Former Employee) –  Guildford8 March 2017
I did my Work Experience here, it was somewhat ok, i mainly was tasked to re-organise and move stock between fixtures, as well as taking in deliveries and re-pricing stock.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
No Pay as Work Experience
Work experience
General Assistant (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Guildford6 March 2017
Restocking and facing up the shop floor. I learned how to work with minimal supervision. Everyone in the workplace had a good professional relationship.
Good place to work, terrible pay and work/personal life balance.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke3 March 2017
Absolutely amazing place to work... Literally the downfall is it's TERRIBLE pay. The amount that we do for the pay that we get is abysmal. Also the split between work and personal life just isn't there, just seems to constantly be work.
Pros
Fun place to work.
Cons
Terrible pay.
Lovely Staff and Environment
Retail Sales Assistant - Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire21 February 2017
I did work experience whilst I was in school here for a week or two, at the time the staff were quite fun and happy to be around. And I was instructed what to do and how to stack and speak to customers which I caught on to.
Pros
Good Break Hours
Cons
Staff didn't really seem too bothered to instruct a while into the work experience.
Busy and unenjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset18 February 2017
The only thing that made working at hmv half decent was the people I worked with. My supervisor was never in a good mood and when something went missing she would be extremely annoyed and chew away at all of the staff. Many of the staff have now quit
Great colleagues and product but not much prospect for advancement
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow18 February 2017
Was a great company and well paid when I started but Year upon year any any positive thing has been eroded.No pay increases in the last four years while management get a sly bonus in lieu of their increase etc.Also the staffing levels are ridiculous now.Running on a skeleton crew as no one is replaced when they leave just to save the region money
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Poor wages and lack of staff
Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, UK18 February 2017
My duties included serving customers at the till processing their goods and taking payment, assisting with deliveries and stock handling as required, general merchandising of stock making sure they were presentable and attractive for customers, greeting customers when they entered the store offering my assistance and all other tasks as required within the role.
Good Work Experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London15 February 2017
Its been over 7 years since working at HMV, but from what I remember, it was a fun place to work, with great people.
The work was straight forward and good for any teen looking to start in the service industry.
Pros
Easy Work
Cons
N/a
Great, fun, professional, working environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow14 February 2017
I loved my brief time at HMV. Every day was fun and rewarding and the team were incredibly passionate about their job and conveyed that in their everyday work ethic.
Pros
Great management team, staff, fun customer interactions, great high street retail experience
Cons
No job security at end of temporary contract.
good company to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ayr, South Ayrshire6 February 2017
All the staff were very friendly and made me feel welcome from the very first day.

A typical day for me would be in the stock room unloading and pricing up the new stock ready for it to go out.or i would be in the shop floor
Pros
really good discount
Cons
none really
Busy retail workplace
Supervisory and management roles (Former Employee) –  Oxford Circus6 February 2017
General duties involved serving the public, stock ordering and stock rotation at the flagship store on Oxford street in London.