HMV Employee Reviews

Happy company to work for
Customer Service Advisor (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London9 March 2017
This was a fun company to work for, its a shame they went into liquidation, the work hours were perfect, I would help customers via phone, email or letter with problems they were having, and enjoyed being able to sort them out leaving them happy with the experience, I also learned how differently HMV were with their customer service so this was interesting, the job was never hard as you just had to ensure the customer was satisfied whilst following company procedures, the whole day was enjoyable, everyone was friendly
Work Experience
Store assistant (Former Employee) –  Guildford8 March 2017
I did my Work Experience here, it was somewhat ok, i mainly was tasked to re-organise and move stock between fixtures, as well as taking in deliveries and re-pricing stock.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
No Pay as Work Experience
Work experience
General Assistant (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Guildford6 March 2017
Restocking and facing up the shop floor. I learned how to work with minimal supervision. Everyone in the workplace had a good professional relationship.
Good place to work, terrible pay and work/personal life balance.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke3 March 2017
Absolutely amazing place to work... Literally the downfall is it's TERRIBLE pay. The amount that we do for the pay that we get is abysmal. Also the split between work and personal life just isn't there, just seems to constantly be work.
Pros
Fun place to work.
Cons
Terrible pay.
Lovely Staff and Environment
Retail Sales Assistant - Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire21 February 2017
I did work experience whilst I was in school here for a week or two, at the time the staff were quite fun and happy to be around. And I was instructed what to do and how to stack and speak to customers which I caught on to.
Pros
Good Break Hours
Cons
Staff didn't really seem too bothered to instruct a while into the work experience.
Busy and unenjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset18 February 2017
The only thing that made working at hmv half decent was the people I worked with. My supervisor was never in a good mood and when something went missing she would be extremely annoyed and chew away at all of the staff. Many of the staff have now quit
Great colleagues and product but not much prospect for advancement
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow18 February 2017
Was a great company and well paid when I started but Year upon year any any positive thing has been eroded.No pay increases in the last four years while management get a sly bonus in lieu of their increase etc.Also the staffing levels are ridiculous now.Running on a skeleton crew as no one is replaced when they leave just to save the region money
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Poor wages and lack of staff
Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, UK18 February 2017
My duties included serving customers at the till processing their goods and taking payment, assisting with deliveries and stock handling as required, general merchandising of stock making sure they were presentable and attractive for customers, greeting customers when they entered the store offering my assistance and all other tasks as required within the role.
Good Work Experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London15 February 2017
Its been over 7 years since working at HMV, but from what I remember, it was a fun place to work, with great people.
The work was straight forward and good for any teen looking to start in the service industry.
Pros
Easy Work
Cons
N/a
Great, fun, professional, working environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow14 February 2017
I loved my brief time at HMV. Every day was fun and rewarding and the team were incredibly passionate about their job and conveyed that in their everyday work ethic.
Pros
Great management team, staff, fun customer interactions, great high street retail experience
Cons
No job security at end of temporary contract.

Want to know more about HMV?

Ask a question
good company to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ayr, South Ayrshire6 February 2017
All the staff were very friendly and made me feel welcome from the very first day.

A typical day for me would be in the stock room unloading and pricing up the new stock ready for it to go out.or i would be in the shop floor
Pros
really good discount
Cons
none really
Busy retail workplace
Supervisory and management roles (Former Employee) –  Oxford Circus6 February 2017
General duties involved serving the public, stock ordering and stock rotation at the flagship store on Oxford street in London.
massive let down
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey1 February 2017
recently worked at HMV , would have been a good job but the managers are terrible , treated like child and ended up hating it there! Only take a job there if there is nothing else , you have been warned !
Pros
meet people/ it's a job!
Cons
management are a joke
Productive and happy workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hereford1 February 2017
Good place to work, the work was always varied and enjoyable. There was always lots to do and areas to progress in. I worked here during the Christmas period so it was always very busy. The team I worked with always worked well together to make sure that everything ran smoothly which was really beneficial.
Lovely helpful staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Croydon Station, Greater London25 January 2017
When I worked at HMV it was at Christmas time so very busy, the staff were always working hard. A typical day would be being behind the tills, or promoting the newest merchandise. It was great to see customers happy when I found the item they were looking for, on the flip side hard if the item wasn't in stock. This was my first proper job and I definitely learned what hard work is!
Pros
Good pay
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough17 January 2017
Friendly colleagues, laid back atmosphere and customers aren't too demanding. Everyone wants to be there, good work attitude from other workers
Productive and fun place to work.
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland17 January 2017
Helping people however possible. Focused heavily on customer service. Excellent colleagues and excellent management. A high energy environment and always kept busy.
Great Working Environment
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds15 January 2017
Worked in the visual section of the shop, selling mostly games and DVDs. The staff were very friendly and usually had common interests, such as gaming and films.
Enjoyable, rewarding & fun.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Kilbride11 January 2017
Learning about products and absorbing new information regarding artists, films and products is very rewarding. Good working hours and reliable staff.
Pros
Staff, hr lunch, good atmosphere.
Good place to work.
Sales Assistant / Cash Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grimsby6 January 2017
I worked here on a temporary contract over the Christmas period. It was a great place to work, management were very helpful.