HMV Employee Reviews

Productive and enjoyable workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex8 February 2018
very enjoyable working for HMV a typical day for me was justr being on till for four hours then break and another four hours on till ,this wasn't always the case as I didn't always do 8 hour shifts but was common .
Pros
Discount
Excellent
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westfield Stratford City, Greater London31 January 2018
I have worked in two stores in different locations, and can say that both have provided rich working environments. I have felt appreciated and respected, and have enjoyed both the job and the teams I've been with. Some customers are hard work, but then a great customer will come along and make your day, and make the awkward customers more tolerable. Generous discounts, although this does impact the payslip most months.
Pros
Great discounts, great teams and working environments.
Cons
can have awkward customers, occasional miscommunication between head office management and in store management, particularly with stock.
Friendly and welcoming enviroment
Stockroom Assistant/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southport30 January 2018
Other employees were incredibly friendly and lovely to be around, building was lovely and clean and comfortable uniform was provided. Loved working there.
Really enjoyed it
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester27 January 2018
I was a christmas temp at HMV, and I was really hoping to be taken on permanently. The job is relatively easy, the management are kind, and the staff were all really easy to get on with. No job in retail is a walk in the park, but whenever anything happens it was always easy to have a laugh about it afterwards. Best job I've had.
Fun and friendly
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness25 January 2018
Typical day at HMV included working tills, restocking, tidying displays and processing orders alongside handling customer enquiries. I learned how to operate a till, process orders, gained product knowledge of a wide range. The workplace culture in this store was great very relaxed if you did your job properly, everyone was happy to help and the age range of colleagues improved the dynamic because it encouraged you to socialise with people you normally wouldn't meet. The hardest part of this job was dealing with customer negative feedback, it can be hard to get products for customers sometimes and it can be frustrating to explain.
Best part of the job was the people i worked with, the discount was also a good perk of the job.
Pros
Discount, Progression
Cons
Long hours on feet
Just a few nice people in there...
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands25 January 2018
I worked at HMV for 6 six months.After this period and actually doing an excelent job they decided one day just to fire me...simple like that without reasons.When I asked why they just said that I am taking to much sick days...thing is that this actually didn't happen.Anyway we have our rights sincerally,like 3 sick in one year.I didn't had 3 in that year but anyway they fired me..they don't care about people.The only thing that they care about is that you work like crazy and hard.When you re actually sick and almost dead because of that they just get ride of you like nothing is happening like it is normal.
Pros
1h lunch
Cons
Long hours till lunch time
Fantastic
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire18 January 2018
Was only there as a seasonal temp, but would loved to have stayed longer. Awesome colleagues and management, great training and good pay. Would go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Productive and a Chilled Environment.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire16 January 2018
You become one of the team in an instant. Everyone's friendly to work with and help is always given if required. You can have a laugh about anything and overall its a very chilled environment to work.
Pros
Long Lunch
great
Customer (Former Employee) –  Tamworth16 January 2018
HMV was a great company to work for, seeing all the new releases and having pride of seeing people walk in and purchase something they have being waiting for.

the team were fantastic aswell as management
Pros
wages and discount
Cons
staffing levels and progression
Excellent
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire14 January 2018
The shifts were fantastic and never felt like they had dragged; the team to work with were a pleasure. I can't say there was a hardest part of the job as each thing I found challenging was something I worked long and hard on. Each moment was enjoyable and management was fantastic.
Pros
enjoyable job, fantastic team
Great Christmas Job
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent11 January 2018
I loved working at HMV Over the Christmas Period. A typical day involved working behind the till, upselling Pure Hmv cards and performing stock duties later in the day when it was quiet. Initially my Christmas contract was extended for a bit longer because of my enthusiasm and level of customer service. Managers are sound if you put the work in. 99% of the customers are great too.
Pros
Sound Management, Easy Job, Good if you like Movies/ Tv/ Music and Games
Cons
If I am being picky the most challenging part of the job was not wasting my wages on dvd boxsets :)
Great fun, nice managers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire7 January 2018
It's good fun but be prepared to learn fast to know where to find a product. The till systems are good to use. My management were great! They arranged my timetable around my studies. I was only a Christmas temp and they don't keep temps on but you are in line for further recruitment. I would go back if given the chance. Lovely co-workers, nice discount.
Pros
Staff discount, nice managers and colleagues
Cons
They can't keep xmas staff on sadly as not enough demand
Fun place to work, but there's neither full-time nor permanent positions
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London3 January 2018
I worked at HMV as a temp for 2016 Christmas period. There was the promise that they would chose 2 of the temps to become permanent. Nobody was chosen. It's only a way of making people work hard until the very end of the contract, and then "good bye".
Pros
Fun
Cons
Impossibility to progress
Active and enjoyable place to work.
Head cashier/stockroom assistant (Former Employee) –  Guernsey, Guernsey29 December 2017
Mostly busy, worked in the cash office and stock room, always had something to do. Worked along side like minded people and had loads of fun inside and outside of work.
Pros
Got to listen to new release cds.
Cons
Sometimes the lift would break down.
Fun and Straight Forward
Seasonal Stockroom Temp (Former Employee) –  East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire27 December 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with HMV, working in the stockroom to help get the stock down to the shop floor in the correct manner but also having a laugh with the other staff. The staff in HMV East Kilbride made me feel welcome and helped me with any queries I had during the job. The staff are treated fairly and equally by the management and I would happily work for them again.
Pros
New Friends, Good Hours, Great Envornment
Cons
Flawless
Wonderful environment
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear20 December 2017
All the staff were extremely welcoming and helpful. They were very friendly and didn't treat the temps any different from other workers. Loved working there.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Short contract
Fun workplace with the right team
Management (Current Employee) –  Wales15 December 2017
A huge part of the reason I've worked here for so long is that every team I've worked with have been amazing - I've met lifelong friends through this company.

You get back what you put in - work hard and you'll reap the benefits
Pros
good discount, excellent teams, regional manager
Cons
unpredictable hours (especially at peak trading time), expected to work unpaid overtime especially at management level
Very fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston12 December 2017
Over christmas period the shop was always busy as you would expect. Staff all friendly and very close. Work well together. Management very good and easy to talk to.
fun place to work
Part time Christmas sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire23 November 2017
generally a good place to work. fun family environment good work benefits and friendly staff members. it is a good place to try and get a job if you enjoy being busy.
Fun place to work, but lots of pressure
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London10 November 2017
Hmv is a good place to work, the management is very good and alot of the staff are kind and friendly but once you start working you realise the store only cares about a couple of things, up selling customers, pure cards and reviews. from the first day I started the staff where already pressuring me into making sure I get as many of those 3 things as possible, and alot of the time they get angry at you if you forget to offer the customers those things, it can be a fun place to work but if you are going to apply for here get ready for high amounts of pressure towards milking every customer out of money.
Pros
Good management, friendly staff
Cons
High pressure from day one