HMV Employee Reviews

good for xmas temp
Stockroom assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, UK2 June 2017
Hard to gauge as I was only there as an Christmas temp - and nearly a decade ago. Reasonable place to work. Busy over Christmas. Nothing too demanding.
Brilliant for a part time gig
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate31 May 2017
I had a lot of fun working for HMV, even when working late stacking shelves. I was only a Christmas temp so my time there was limited, however the overall experience was extremely useful and was a brilliant first job.
Pros
Staff discount at christmas time was very useful
Cons
Good experience and great people.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn25 May 2017
My hours were varied but during rush hour I learned to keep up with the fast pace and keeping customers happy. Management was very good, lovely people and made the job a lot easier. The hardest part about the job was taking complaints but I learnt to use them to make my customer service better. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people, they made the job fun and always interesting.
Pros
20% discount.
Cons
My shift were varied.
Just a pay number.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset23 May 2017
In my years at the store we had staff get away with stealing, hitting other members of staff and bullying.
Assistant manager highered a friend of his who talks to customers like rubbish, he would also avoid working and was aloud to get away with it due to being a friend of the A manager. Very hostile environment if you don't befriend the right people.
The company will only treat you as a pay number, very little praise for working hard and very quick to punish you if you don't hit upselling targets such as pure cards.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Dishonest
Christmas Work
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire20 May 2017
This must have been one of the best job I have ever had. I enjoyed going to work everyday because no two days were the same. Working at Christmas meant you were always busy and the time flew by. The team are absolutely amazing and welcome everyone in.
Pros
Christmas work is more fun
Fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire19 May 2017
I enjoyed working at HMV because the other colleagues were helpful and friendly and it was a fun environment to work in. I enjoyed going to work and found that I had still time out of work for friends/family
Fun experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, UK18 May 2017
I enjoyed my time at HMV but it was just a part time christmas temporary job and I was only really working there to save enough money in order to go travelling.
Fun environment and friendly staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham City Centre, Nottinghamshire18 May 2017
Management and staff were friendly and kind

Learnt different processes, although till system was extremely old and complicated

Busy during Christmas period but well managed
Pros
Discount was great, even for temporary staff
Cons
Pay rates were poor
Okay workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon13 May 2017
A typical day at work would be working behind the till and assisting customers. I learned how to approach customers and help them feel comfortable in your care.
Pros
1 hour lunch.
Cons
no air conditioning.
Sometimes fun, mostly stressful
STOCK ROOM CONTROLLER/SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  London10 May 2017
Used to be a well run and plesent company to work for but has lost its way somewhat in recently years due to over complicated processes for the simplist tasks and poor upper management.
Pros
Interesting product
Cons
Poor upper management
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear9 May 2017
My experience at HMV was fun and great place to work. The management were great and the other staff made me feel welcome and helped me understand most aspects of the job I was doing.
Pros
Great staff to work with
fun
Retail sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear7 May 2017
I only worked here for a short period but in that time i enjoyed the work. Nights at Christmas were long but well paid. The company itself has been through many tough patches and is still in alot of debt so job security may be an issue.
Casual and fragile
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Merlin park5 May 2017
Short term work that didn't last, as expected. While pleasant, in the grand scheme of things, just a stop gap and not a game changer. been inside a lot of warehouse, and i'll likely see more.
Average
Christmas temporary worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames27 April 2017
My time at HMV was a short one, though I cant really say that I miss it. It was fairly difficult to settle in, and I seriously underestimated the amount of knowledge that you need across all fields, leading to a slow start. Couple that with the sheer amount of temps that were hired (I think about 20!), and you have a recipe for an overly competetive atmosphere.
constant
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow24 April 2017
Place where your interests are your job. You get to discuss your favourite bands or films with customers and work together as a team to smash targets.
Pros
banter
Hectic
Temporary Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon24 April 2017
I worked at HMV temporarily over the Christmas period so naturally the store was at it's busiest time. I did enjoy the role and would not advise against joining HMV i just felt it wasn't a long term option for myself.
Long and enduring.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire19 April 2017
HmV is a good place to work if you want to work hard and not get credited for it. They do provided good incentives but that's down to if your store is hitting target it not, some stuff out of your control.
A fun, passionate and busy place to work
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, UK13 April 2017
Absolutely love working for HMV. Gave me amazing experiences, and gained so much knowledge about the industry. Although stricter than other retail jobs the workplace is still fun making every shift easy to get through. Management of my store couldn't have been more helpful and understanding, not two faced like many I have worked for.
Productive fun place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire17 March 2017
Working for HMV taught me how to place customer orders and how to offer exchanges and refunds. It was a fun, quick paced environment to work in. The management team kept the whole team in order.
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend12 March 2017
Working as part of a team I was responsible for merchandising, stock control and working face to face with customers.

The hardest part of the job was working in the stock room carrying heavy things and putting stickers on every individual cd or dvd

the most enjoyable part of the job was working on the shop floor