HMV Employee Reviews

Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham6 July 2018
Left the company purely to relocate. Would still be working there is possible! Great job, get to talk to customers about films and music all day. Good chance to progress if you commit yourself to the role.
Fun but Confusion
General Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newry27 June 2018
The job itself was fun, working with customers and organisation of stock. the management team was very disappointing however and the did not seem to understand how to run a retail environment. The staff were nice.
Pros
Social work enviornment
Cons
confusion and lack of team effort
productive and fun environment.
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tyne and Wear14 June 2018
During the short space of time at which I spent at HMV I worked in a small group which organised the stock production and deliveries. I learned to quickly adapt to given roles and how to fit into small groups to assure the production line ran smoothly and orderly. I thoroughly enjoyed this as it was a new experience meaning I could build on my skills and experience new work place settings.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
same tasks everyday
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire14 June 2018
A typical day of work at HMV was sorting out the various boxes whether it dvd, cd or games. I learned that it is not a easy work but as you do more and more, you get used to it. There are various management such as the owner, assistant and employees. The workplace culture is ok. The hardest part of the job is when there is a heavy box full of items. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking to the staffs as they are very helpful.
Pros
Helpful staffs
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Leicester11 June 2018
Working here has been realy enjoyable, colleagues were friendly and the workload is not too straining. The hours are okay, the only downside for me would be the pay.
Not what I expected
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcestershire30 May 2018
I was on a 10 hour contract, typically weekend work as that is when it got busy. The shifts were around 5 hours and would go fairly slowly, especially on Sundays. I didn't find myself learning an awful lot. We were expected to upsell these PureHMV cards which act as a loyalty card to collect points. I thought they expected too much from us to be able to sell 10 of these cards every weekend, especially when the customer would have to spend £3 on it, so only worth the money if you're a regular. They were a hard product to sell, and my manager threatened to fail my probation if I didn't sell them.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad Management
Retail security
Security Officer and Security Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge27 May 2018
I started off as a security officer in a team of four, then I progressed to team leader after working in various locations, and responsible for the day to day running of security procedures, and I was also part of teams involved in events.
Pros
met some great people.
Cons
salary
A typical retail job
Seasonal Sales Assistant at Westfield (Former Employee) –  Stratford14 May 2018
I worked at HMV Stratford branch, it was a typical retail job where the management push you to sell add on items and store royalty cards. If your numbers drop, you will be in a little bit of trouble.
Pros
Working in a music/films store
Cons
Pushy company
productive and fun
Stock Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside26 April 2018
wasnt there for very long but had plenty of fun along the way and came away having learned a few things about retail life. great team to work with and the management were sound
Great company
Team leader/Picker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham16 April 2018
Amazing company to work for, always helping to achieve your targets your targets always and always friendly and interesting collective. Would highly recommend to work for it. :)
fun place to work
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London13 April 2018
its always busy and you always have a wide range of customers. you are expected to rotate around different jobs in every shift. closing the shop is always the best part.
Fun Place to work
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield9 April 2018
Great place but no job prospects. Happy the company has turned around. Good place to work for younger people and those looking for seasonal work.

sssss
Good atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow7 April 2018
Only worked over christmas period. Was enjoyable though. Only bad moment while working here - public transport and taxis were all cancelled due to extreme weather that year and got told by manager that i had feet and could walk. Took 3 hours to walk to work, and when i arrived the store was closed, manager didnt bother to call anyone back.
Pros
Staff discount
Brilliant place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland6 April 2018
Brilliant place to work, no issues what so ever, great team that help you no matter what and amazing managment that will sort out any problem with ease. Would have stayed if got the chance.
Pros
Music and staff
Rubbish
retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading6 April 2018
horrible work experience , just had to do everything everyone else didn't want to do , like taking off labels and sorting out the hundreds of dvd's they have , the staff are extremely lazy too.
Pros
n/a
Cons
manager sits and does nothing all day
Excellent people, excellent products, but retail is retail
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk4 March 2018
If it wasn't for the people I work with, I would have considered leaving earlier. Progression doesn't really happen unless someone leaves, the pay isn't great and as I said, retail is retail; it's not meant for everyone. Having to sell £3 Pure cards (loyalty cards) is a pain as well.
However, you get to listen to pretty great music most of the time, a very comfortable and relaxed uniform, can slowly take on more responsibilities and it's definitely NOT a bad place to work at all!
Pros
Hour lunches, fair holiday, great music, great products, comfortable uniform, excellent atmosphere
Cons
Poor pay, lack of progression through company, selling £3 loyalty cards (KPIs)
Enjoyable work place
Christmas Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen Aberdeen City28 February 2018
Stock checking and helping customers .
Learning More about the company as i worked there .
I found the management very helpful and easy going .
Very helpful work place and kind staff.
The hardest part of the job was working on the till at busy pace.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working at something i love and thats music.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
small breaks
Fun and energetic workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset25 February 2018
A very welcoming and friendly staff. Typical day at work would be serving customers, stock replenishment and orders. The workplace culture was very friendly as well as efficient and diverse. Considering HMV was hit hard by the recession, the management have done well to strengthen the company and build back the retail. The manager of this branch in particular was fantastic and treated everyone with equal respect. The most enjoyable part of the job was building a rapport/expanding my interpersonal skills with customers as well as staff. The hardest part was the initial training of which i became adept the longer i worked there.
Hmv
Visual Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Westfield22 February 2018
At HMV I learned a various roles to achieve my tasks and goals, I was in charge of the visual department after showing hard work in areas such as team work, using initiative and communcation to work with management.

I helped advise on promotions face of the departments and in line with budgeting for what stock is selling and what is minus in the profit area.

There were some great people there which make it easier to run the store as a full, when all put what they must into their duties makes for a better and efficient company and work place.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Hours and the job type
Good part time job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough21 February 2018
Worked here part time previously and I enjoyed it but heaven forbid you finish on time.
Very rarely would you finish within 5 mins of finishing your shift and the staff just said it was the normal but 10-15mins extra every shift does add up and you didn't get paid for it.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Temp contracts