HMV Pay & Benefits reviews

Very fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston12 December 2017
Over christmas period the shop was always busy as you would expect. Staff all friendly and very close. Work well together. Management very good and easy to talk to.
fun place to work
Part time Christmas sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire23 November 2017
generally a good place to work. fun family environment good work benefits and friendly staff members. it is a good place to try and get a job if you enjoy being busy.
Great job - Great culture
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Coventry City Centre, West Midlands5 September 2017
Typical day would be getting to the store early to ensure everything was in place for the day ahead.

Allocate areas to the staff to ensure all areas were covered

provide cover for lunchbreaks

help process the daily deliveries and ensure the stock went out in a timely manner

meet with representatives from record companies.

ensure all the takings were tallied up at the end of the day and report to head office if required.

Balancing the difference between being the boss and friendship was the hardest part.

keeping the public happy and doing a job you loved were the best part
Pros
Goods Discounts and Benefits
Cons
Working Weekends
Decent workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wood Green17 June 2017
a good work environment I only worked here for a short period but in that time i enjoyed the work. Nights at Christmas were long but well paid. The company itself has been through many tough patches and is still in a lot of debt so job security may be an issue.
Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth City Centre, Devon13 June 2017
I had a lovely time working at HMV, the people are all lovely it is like one big happy family. I just wish I could have stayed longer but unfortunately there wasn't another contract with the hours I needed. If I could work there again I would in a heartbeat.
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
not enough hours to work
Christmas Temp
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire13 June 2017
Worked at HMV over Christmas period. I was treated well and liked working there with other students. Management were nice and i got on well with everyone. I got paid 5.30 an hour as a 20 year old student its not really much.
good for xmas temp
Stockroom assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, UK2 June 2017
Hard to gauge as I was only there as an Christmas temp - and nearly a decade ago. Reasonable place to work. Busy over Christmas. Nothing too demanding.
Brilliant for a part time gig
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate31 May 2017
I had a lot of fun working for HMV, even when working late stacking shelves. I was only a Christmas temp so my time there was limited, however the overall experience was extremely useful and was a brilliant first job.
Pros
Staff discount at christmas time was very useful
Just a pay number.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset23 May 2017
In my years at the store we had staff get away with stealing, hitting other members of staff and bullying.
Assistant manager highered a friend of his who talks to customers like rubbish, he would also avoid working and was aloud to get away with it due to being a friend of the A manager. Very hostile environment if you don't befriend the right people.
The company will only treat you as a pay number, very little praise for working hard and very quick to punish you if you don't hit upselling targets such as pure cards.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Dishonest
Fun experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, UK18 May 2017
I enjoyed my time at HMV but it was just a part time christmas temporary job and I was only really working there to save enough money in order to go travelling.

Want to know more about HMV?

Ask a question
fun
Retail sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear7 May 2017
I only worked here for a short period but in that time i enjoyed the work. Nights at Christmas were long but well paid. The company itself has been through many tough patches and is still in alot of debt so job security may be an issue.
Great colleagues and product but not much prospect for advancement
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow18 February 2017
Was a great company and well paid when I started but Year upon year any any positive thing has been eroded.No pay increases in the last four years while management get a sly bonus in lieu of their increase etc.Also the staffing levels are ridiculous now.Running on a skeleton crew as no one is replaced when they leave just to save the region money
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Poor wages and lack of staff
Enjoyable, rewarding & fun.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Kilbride11 January 2017
Learning about products and absorbing new information regarding artists, films and products is very rewarding. Good working hours and reliable staff.
Pros
Staff, hr lunch, good atmosphere.
i was working as student as work expricens
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Berkshire6 January 2017
good and fun and nice guys working there had a lot laugh and people were nice and decent to me and they still keep in conctat today
Pros
short hours
Cons
not enough people
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex2 January 2017
Great working atmosphere, great colleagues and fun customers. Great discount. Pay could be a little better and the contract security isn't amazing but these are things that could improve overtime.
great place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill, NC4 October 2016
hmv in merry hill is great place to work at all the staff are very friendly and very welcoming. you get great benefits when you work at hmv when you hit targets you get a gift.
decent work
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston19 September 2016
It was overall not a bad job, decent colleges, decent manager, nice hours. The hardest part was running out of things to do!
Decent part time job
Sales assistant role (Current Employee) –  Gateshead26 July 2016
Good student job, flexible working hours. Everyday work is not too taxing and co-workers are enjoyable to work with. The only con is the amount of hours given.
Not something to progress into
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre4 May 2016
It's good for a quick job to keep the income, coming. But as shown over the news over the last few years, HMV have been nearly there or thereabouts of shutting down, not much security involved at all.

Good for picking up organizational skills.

Speaking all different types of the public.

Job wasn't hard in the slightest, easy going, day to day process.
Pros
Keeps income until finding a career to settle into
Cons
Long working hours within the centre.
Christmas temp
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow25 April 2016
Christmas temp work, unorganized and very unreliable managers. Work was easy, hours given per week were very minimum. Staff complained about there job a lot.