HMV Pay & Benefits reviews

Local Managers tried their best.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro16 August 2018
People tried their best, but other than a 30% staff discount, little is offered in reward and pay is poor, and you are unlikely to get the offer of full or even near to full-time hours.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Its a hectic retail enviroment with no chance of progression
Terrible pay and Pushy management
Former Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cribbs Causeway, Bristol25 July 2018
Terrible Pay, terrible hours, messy scheduling (just giving you more time when it best suits them) and Assistant Manger is never Satisfied! You’re about to become a robot, enjoy!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, Hours, Lazy Training
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Leicester11 June 2018
Working here has been realy enjoyable, colleagues were friendly and the workload is not too straining. The hours are okay, the only downside for me would be the pay.
Retail security
Security Officer and Security Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge27 May 2018
I started off as a security officer in a team of four, then I progressed to team leader after working in various locations, and responsible for the day to day running of security procedures, and I was also part of teams involved in events.
Pros
met some great people.
Cons
salary
Fun workplace with the right team
Management (Current Employee) –  Wales15 December 2017
A huge part of the reason I've worked here for so long is that every team I've worked with have been amazing - I've met lifelong friends through this company.

You get back what you put in - work hard and you'll reap the benefits
Pros
good discount, excellent teams, regional manager
Cons
unpredictable hours (especially at peak trading time), expected to work unpaid overtime especially at management level
Very fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston12 December 2017
Over christmas period the shop was always busy as you would expect. Staff all friendly and very close. Work well together. Management very good and easy to talk to.
fun place to work
Part time Christmas sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire23 November 2017
generally a good place to work. fun family environment good work benefits and friendly staff members. it is a good place to try and get a job if you enjoy being busy.
Great job - Great culture
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Coventry City Centre, West Midlands5 September 2017
Typical day would be getting to the store early to ensure everything was in place for the day ahead.

Allocate areas to the staff to ensure all areas were covered

provide cover for lunchbreaks

help process the daily deliveries and ensure the stock went out in a timely manner

meet with representatives from record companies.

ensure all the takings were tallied up at the end of the day and report to head office if required.

Balancing the difference between being the boss and friendship was the hardest part.

keeping the public happy and doing a job you loved were the best part
Pros
Goods Discounts and Benefits
Cons
Working Weekends
Decent workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wood Green17 June 2017
a good work environment I only worked here for a short period but in that time i enjoyed the work. Nights at Christmas were long but well paid. The company itself has been through many tough patches and is still in a lot of debt so job security may be an issue.
Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth City Centre, Devon13 June 2017
I had a lovely time working at HMV, the people are all lovely it is like one big happy family. I just wish I could have stayed longer but unfortunately there wasn't another contract with the hours I needed. If I could work there again I would in a heartbeat.
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
not enough hours to work
Christmas Temp
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire13 June 2017
Worked at HMV over Christmas period. I was treated well and liked working there with other students. Management were nice and i got on well with everyone. I got paid 5.30 an hour as a 20 year old student its not really much.
good for xmas temp
Stockroom assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, UK2 June 2017
Hard to gauge as I was only there as an Christmas temp - and nearly a decade ago. Reasonable place to work. Busy over Christmas. Nothing too demanding.
Brilliant for a part time gig
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate31 May 2017
I had a lot of fun working for HMV, even when working late stacking shelves. I was only a Christmas temp so my time there was limited, however the overall experience was extremely useful and was a brilliant first job.
Pros
Staff discount at christmas time was very useful
Just a pay number.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset23 May 2017
In my years at the store we had staff get away with stealing, hitting other members of staff and bullying.
Assistant manager highered a friend of his who talks to customers like rubbish, he would also avoid working and was aloud to get away with it due to being a friend of the A manager. Very hostile environment if you don't befriend the right people.
The company will only treat you as a pay number, very little praise for working hard and very quick to punish you if you don't hit upselling targets such as pure cards.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Dishonest
Fun experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, UK18 May 2017
I enjoyed my time at HMV but it was just a part time christmas temporary job and I was only really working there to save enough money in order to go travelling.
fun
Retail sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear7 May 2017
I only worked here for a short period but in that time i enjoyed the work. Nights at Christmas were long but well paid. The company itself has been through many tough patches and is still in alot of debt so job security may be an issue.
Long and enduring.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire19 April 2017
HmV is a good place to work if you want to work hard and not get credited for it. They do provided good incentives but that's down to if your store is hitting target it not, some stuff out of your control.
Great colleagues and product but not much prospect for advancement
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow18 February 2017
Was a great company and well paid when I started but Year upon year any any positive thing has been eroded.No pay increases in the last four years while management get a sly bonus in lieu of their increase etc.Also the staffing levels are ridiculous now.Running on a skeleton crew as no one is replaced when they leave just to save the region money
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Poor wages and lack of staff
Enjoyable, rewarding & fun.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Kilbride11 January 2017
Learning about products and absorbing new information regarding artists, films and products is very rewarding. Good working hours and reliable staff.
Pros
Staff, hr lunch, good atmosphere.
i was working as student as work expricens
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Berkshire6 January 2017
good and fun and nice guys working there had a lot laugh and people were nice and decent to me and they still keep in conctat today
Pros
short hours
Cons
not enough people