HMV Pay & Benefits reviews

Good benefits but very poor management.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidstone6 November 2018
When I first started my job at HMV I was very excited due to me being such a fan of media, film and music, but after a couple years of working there I discovered that it's not the job I once thought it might be.
If you're looking at joining HMV, be prepared to spend 90% of your time harassing customers to join the HMV loyalty scheme (HMV PURE), in which you have to get customers to pay a £3 fee for a loyalty card in which they can earn points and rewards. If you don't hit a certain target then all h*ll breaks lose and you won't hear the end of it from anyone higher up than you. Regardless of whether you have served 1 customer in an hour on a quiet day, management expects you to hit that target. Even when you hit your target or more, nothing gets said, no praise, no thanks, which is always disappointing, but instead having the manager call down or visit the shop floor to moan at you in front of customers which is unprofessional.
I spent most of my 3 years working for HMV being messed around and confused as my manager would constantly change my contract, including my hours, my job role and more. 1 month I would be working 4 days a week, then the next month I was being told that I was only working for the weekend without any notice.
The last few months of my time working with HMV was the straw that broke the camel's back, being messed around on a daily basis and being lied to, basically being told that they didn't want me to stay on, trying to encourage me to hand in my leaving notice and giving a full-time contract (which I had been asking for, for a year) to a Christmas
  more... temporary member of staff.
30% off with staff discount was good though, and a lot of the time, when the manager wasn't involved the store ran nicely and everyone got along well. People were more likely to reach targets and get more done. It seemed as though as soon as the manager was in, moral dropped drastically and people we're constantly moaning about their job and the days seemed a lot slower.
Management is the key to a good business and hard working staff. 10 out of the 12 people who worked there when I did have now left, and that says a lot about the management.
Pros
30% Staff discount.
Cons
Management, HMV Pure
Great workplace environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset9 October 2018
Strong focus on teamwork and the workplace environment.
Excellent management team.
Reasonable worksheet patterns and good staff discount benefits as well as a decent salary, minimum wage.
Local Managers tried their best.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro16 August 2018
People tried their best, but other than a 30% staff discount, little is offered in reward and pay is poor, and you are unlikely to get the offer of full or even near to full-time hours.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Its a hectic retail enviroment with no chance of progression
Terrible pay and Pushy management
Former Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cribbs Causeway, Bristol25 July 2018
Terrible Pay, terrible hours, messy scheduling (just giving you more time when it best suits them) and Assistant Manger is never Satisfied! You’re about to become a robot, enjoy!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, Hours, Lazy Training
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Leicester11 June 2018
Working here has been realy enjoyable, colleagues were friendly and the workload is not too straining. The hours are okay, the only downside for me would be the pay.
Retail security
Security Officer and Security Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge27 May 2018
I started off as a security officer in a team of four, then I progressed to team leader after working in various locations, and responsible for the day to day running of security procedures, and I was also part of teams involved in events.
Pros
met some great people.
Cons
salary
Fun workplace with the right team
Management (Current Employee) –  Wales15 December 2017
A huge part of the reason I've worked here for so long is that every team I've worked with have been amazing - I've met lifelong friends through this company.

You get back what you put in - work hard and you'll reap the benefits
Pros
good discount, excellent teams, regional manager
Cons
unpredictable hours (especially at peak trading time), expected to work unpaid overtime especially at management level
Very fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston12 December 2017
Over christmas period the shop was always busy as you would expect. Staff all friendly and very close. Work well together. Management very good and easy to talk to.
fun place to work
Part time Christmas sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire23 November 2017
generally a good place to work. fun family environment good work benefits and friendly staff members. it is a good place to try and get a job if you enjoy being busy.
Great job - Great culture
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Coventry City Centre, West Midlands5 September 2017
Typical day would be getting to the store early to ensure everything was in place for the day ahead.

Allocate areas to the staff to ensure all areas were covered

provide cover for lunchbreaks

help process the daily deliveries and ensure the stock went out in a timely manner

meet with representatives from record companies.

ensure all the takings were tallied up at the end of the day and report to head office if required.

Balancing the difference between being the boss and friendship was the hardest part.

keeping the public happy and doing a job you loved were the best part
Pros
Goods Discounts and Benefits
Cons
Working Weekends

Want to know more about HMV?

Ask a question
Decent workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wood Green17 June 2017
a good work environment I only worked here for a short period but in that time i enjoyed the work. Nights at Christmas were long but well paid. The company itself has been through many tough patches and is still in a lot of debt so job security may be an issue.
Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth City Centre, Devon13 June 2017
I had a lovely time working at HMV, the people are all lovely it is like one big happy family. I just wish I could have stayed longer but unfortunately there wasn't another contract with the hours I needed. If I could work there again I would in a heartbeat.
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
not enough hours to work
Christmas Temp
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire13 June 2017
Worked at HMV over Christmas period. I was treated well and liked working there with other students. Management were nice and i got on well with everyone. I got paid 5.30 an hour as a 20 year old student its not really much.
good for xmas temp
Stockroom assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, UK2 June 2017
Hard to gauge as I was only there as an Christmas temp - and nearly a decade ago. Reasonable place to work. Busy over Christmas. Nothing too demanding.
Brilliant for a part time gig
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate31 May 2017
I had a lot of fun working for HMV, even when working late stacking shelves. I was only a Christmas temp so my time there was limited, however the overall experience was extremely useful and was a brilliant first job.
Pros
Staff discount at christmas time was very useful
Just a pay number.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset23 May 2017
In my years at the store we had staff get away with stealing, hitting other members of staff and bullying.
Assistant manager highered a friend of his who talks to customers like rubbish, he would also avoid working and was aloud to get away with it due to being a friend of the A manager. Very hostile environment if you don't befriend the right people.
The company will only treat you as a pay number, very little praise for working hard and very quick to punish you if you don't hit upselling targets such as pure cards.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Dishonest
Fun experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, UK18 May 2017
I enjoyed my time at HMV but it was just a part time christmas temporary job and I was only really working there to save enough money in order to go travelling.
fun
Retail sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear7 May 2017
I only worked here for a short period but in that time i enjoyed the work. Nights at Christmas were long but well paid. The company itself has been through many tough patches and is still in alot of debt so job security may be an issue.
Great colleagues and product but not much prospect for advancement
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow18 February 2017
Was a great company and well paid when I started but Year upon year any any positive thing has been eroded.No pay increases in the last four years while management get a sly bonus in lieu of their increase etc.Also the staffing levels are ridiculous now.Running on a skeleton crew as no one is replaced when they leave just to save the region money
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Poor wages and lack of staff
Enjoyable, rewarding & fun.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Kilbride11 January 2017
Learning about products and absorbing new information regarding artists, films and products is very rewarding. Good working hours and reliable staff.
Pros
Staff, hr lunch, good atmosphere.