HMV Employee Reviews for Seasonal Associate

Great employers
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex22 July 2018
Although brief, my time at HMV was insightful and enjoyable. The team inc management were incredible to work with, very patient and humble, was sad that i didn't get the full time position.
christmas temp
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn, Norfolk18 July 2018
i was a Christmas temp in Kings Lynn for about 4 months. nice place to work. great when it got busy. full training was given and i'm sure in a permanent role there would be progrression
A typical retail job
Seasonal Sales Assistant at Westfield (Former Employee) –  Stratford14 May 2018
I worked at HMV Stratford branch, it was a typical retail job where the management push you to sell add on items and store royalty cards. If your numbers drop, you will be in a little bit of trouble.
Pros
Working in a music/films store
Cons
Pushy company
Really enjoyed it
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester27 January 2018
I was a christmas temp at HMV, and I was really hoping to be taken on permanently. The job is relatively easy, the management are kind, and the staff were all really easy to get on with. No job in retail is a walk in the park, but whenever anything happens it was always easy to have a laugh about it afterwards. Best job I've had.
Fantastic
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire18 January 2018
Was only there as a seasonal temp, but would loved to have stayed longer. Awesome colleagues and management, great training and good pay. Would go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Great staff
Great Christmas Job
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent11 January 2018
I loved working at HMV Over the Christmas Period. A typical day involved working behind the till, upselling Pure Hmv cards and performing stock duties later in the day when it was quiet. Initially my Christmas contract was extended for a bit longer because of my enthusiasm and level of customer service. Managers are sound if you put the work in. 99% of the customers are great too.
Pros
Sound Management, Easy Job, Good if you like Movies/ Tv/ Music and Games
Cons
If I am being picky the most challenging part of the job was not wasting my wages on dvd boxsets :)
really enjoyed
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire22 July 2017
really enjoyed, met great people, nice genuine managers, overall good place, enjoyed and would recommend, could improve with job security and break times
Pros
paid every two weeks
Cons
was only xmas temp
Christmas Temp
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire13 June 2017
Worked at HMV over Christmas period. I was treated well and liked working there with other students. Management were nice and i got on well with everyone. I got paid 5.30 an hour as a 20 year old student its not really much.
Christmas Work
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire20 May 2017
This must have been one of the best job I have ever had. I enjoyed going to work everyday because no two days were the same. Working at Christmas meant you were always busy and the time flew by. The team are absolutely amazing and welcome everyone in.
Pros
Christmas work is more fun
Average
Christmas temporary worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames27 April 2017
My time at HMV was a short one, though I cant really say that I miss it. It was fairly difficult to settle in, and I seriously underestimated the amount of knowledge that you need across all fields, leading to a slow start. Couple that with the sheer amount of temps that were hired (I think about 20!), and you have a recipe for an overly competetive atmosphere.
Productive and fun place to work.
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland17 January 2017
Helping people however possible. Focused heavily on customer service. Excellent colleagues and excellent management. A high energy environment and always kept busy.
Great Working Environment
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds15 January 2017
Worked in the visual section of the shop, selling mostly games and DVDs. The staff were very friendly and usually had common interests, such as gaming and films.
Great experience
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea28 December 2016
I was a Christmas temp and had a really good experience working at HMV. The best thing for me was the other members of staff, really nice people who had similar interests to my own (music/film) Most of the regular staff had been there a long time which in itself proves what a good company HMV is. The management were fine (although a bit stressed, it was Christmas after all) but they gave adequate training and support throughout. They even took all the staff out for a Christmas meal (including the 9 or 10 part time Christmas staff.)
On the downside, we had to listen to the same 5 or 6 CDs constantly (Elvis, Xmas, Now 95 etc) this was really frustrating, to be surrounded by so much interesting music and to have to listen this... What was one of the biggest attractions of working for HMV (the diverse music) turned out to be the worst part of the job. Im told that this only happens at Christmas and that they usually have much more freedom during the rest of the year. Also, you are expected to sell store cards something I hated but other people were good at it (They got the permanent jobs). All in all though I really enjoyed my time at HMV.
Pros
Surrounded by interesting music and film and the other members of staff were great, friendly and helpful.
Cons
Had to listen to the same 5 cds for 6 weeks (painful), You're expected to sell store cards and are under pressure to do so.
Good company to work for and good friendly working environment
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow4 November 2016
Good overall place to work, I was in this while still studying and it was appreciated in the job. They allowed me to work with a flexibilty that honestly helped me achieve my goals. Some area's where uncomfortable, i.e. the area where price lables are produced was either uncomfortably hot to the point where a sauna would be a pleasing cold chill, or in winter it was more of a fridge.
Pros
Great discount, excellent flexibility, friendly staff
Cons
Uncomfortablely hot when printing labels
Very productive
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Exeter31 October 2016
HMV is a lot of fun if you have a passion for music and films. Mine was only a temporary contract which I was a bit disappointed about as it is a very fun place to work and I really did enjoy it.
Interesting
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield3 June 2016
I very much enjoyed working for HMV and it was a lot of help because it enabled me to gain much needed experience. The hardest part had to be finishing at 11 o'clock at night, but there were so many good points to the jobs it would be hard to choose just one.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Late nights
fun and happy
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Grimsby6 March 2016
Although I was only there for a short time the staff at HMV made me feel welcome and made learning the job as easy as possible. The staff made you feel welcome and the management were as helpful as possible. they never made you do more than you could handle.
Pros
decent management
Lovely place to work
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ipswich9 February 2016
A typical day at work would include; working on the tills, putting new stock out, helping customers find particular items they were looking for on the electronic system or taking initiative and finding it without the system. I learnt how to use a till, people skills. My co-workers were all lovely and my shifts seemed to always be when there wasn't that many temporary staff on, so I worked with a lot of the permanent staff and they were wonderful. The hardest part of the job would have to be loss prevention. The most enjoyable part of the job was - almost everything else. If you love music/film/tv etc, then you will like working there.
Good and fun work place
Christmas temp assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG1 February 2016
My short time working at HMV was really enjoyable. The staff I worked with were all fun to talk to and there were no disagreements or arguments between members despite the heavy work load.

A typical night shift for me would include helping unpack and sort the pallets we had received on the night (which ranged from 5 to begin with and 15 coming up to the start of December). Then dealing with the totes that I had been designated (which would vary from 4 - 20) to put out stock. After the totes had been dealt with we would move on to putting out stock that was not placed inside of totes. Aside from the main duty of stock handling, I would also help with floor displays and floor layout, moving large amounts of stock around to fit with the plans from the main office.

Management was good, each section had their own team leader and we had our manager working with us. There wasn't the feeling of working under a manager as they took on the same responsibilities of us and they never pushed their authority role in our faces, we never did anything which led them to do such a thing either.

My co-workers were an absolute pleasure to work with, seeing as it was night shift there were fewer than 10 people working so everyone actually knew each other and got to form a friendship with them which carried on outside of work hours. Everyone had fun and conversations never felt forced.

The hardest part of the job was outside of work. Finishing work at 5:30am and getting home for nearly 7am meant that I had very little time to myself and very little time to be with family and friends, the
  more... heavy lifting would tire me out to the point where I'd sleep through for nearly 12 hours solidly.

It's hard to say what the most enjoyable part of the job was because it all just came together in a way in which everything was enjoyable, the people, the type of work and the energy from everyone just made it great.
Pros
We could pick any movie on the shop floor to watch on break. 30% staff discount.
Cons
Long hours for minimum wage. Awkward hours.
Amazing place to work
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG16 May 2015
I loved working at HMV but I was only there for a month for the Christmas Temp role. I love the products they sell and I love helping people find the products they are looking for. My duties included serving customers on the till and offering discounted products. Walking the shop floor and assisting customers.
Pros
30% discounts