HMV Employee Reviews for Seasonal Associate

really enjoyed
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire22 July 2017
really enjoyed, met great people, nice genuine managers, overall good place, enjoyed and would recommend, could improve with job security and break times
Pros
paid every two weeks
Cons
was only xmas temp
Christmas Temp
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire13 June 2017
Worked at HMV over Christmas period. I was treated well and liked working there with other students. Management were nice and i got on well with everyone. I got paid 5.30 an hour as a 20 year old student its not really much.
Christmas Work
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire20 May 2017
This must have been one of the best job I have ever had. I enjoyed going to work everyday because no two days were the same. Working at Christmas meant you were always busy and the time flew by. The team are absolutely amazing and welcome everyone in.
Pros
Christmas work is more fun
Average
Christmas temporary worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames27 April 2017
My time at HMV was a short one, though I cant really say that I miss it. It was fairly difficult to settle in, and I seriously underestimated the amount of knowledge that you need across all fields, leading to a slow start. Couple that with the sheer amount of temps that were hired (I think about 20!), and you have a recipe for an overly competetive atmosphere.
Productive and fun place to work.
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland17 January 2017
Helping people however possible. Focused heavily on customer service. Excellent colleagues and excellent management. A high energy environment and always kept busy.
Great Working Environment
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds15 January 2017
Worked in the visual section of the shop, selling mostly games and DVDs. The staff were very friendly and usually had common interests, such as gaming and films.
Great experience
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea28 December 2016
I was a Christmas temp and had a really good experience working at HMV. The best thing for me was the other members of staff, really nice people who had similar interests to my own (music/film) Most of the regular staff had been there a long time which in itself proves what a good company HMV is. The management were fine (although a bit stressed, it was Christmas after all) but they gave adequate training and support throughout. They even took all the staff out for a Christmas meal (including the 9 or 10 part time Christmas staff.)
On the downside, we had to listen to the same 5 or 6 CDs constantly (Elvis, Xmas, Now 95 etc) this was really frustrating, to be surrounded by so much interesting music and to have to listen this... What was one of the biggest attractions of working for HMV (the diverse music) turned out to be the worst part of the job. Im told that this only happens at Christmas and that they usually have much more freedom during the rest of the year. Also, you are expected to sell store cards something I hated but other people were good at it (They got the permanent jobs). All in all though I really enjoyed my time at HMV.
Pros
Surrounded by interesting music and film and the other members of staff were great, friendly and helpful.
Cons
Had to listen to the same 5 cds for 6 weeks (painful), You're expected to sell store cards and are under pressure to do so.
Good company to work for and good friendly working environment
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow4 November 2016
Good overall place to work, I was in this while still studying and it was appreciated in the job. They allowed me to work with a flexibilty that honestly helped me achieve my goals. Some area's where uncomfortable, i.e. the area where price lables are produced was either uncomfortably hot to the point where a sauna would be a pleasing cold chill, or in winter it was more of a fridge.
Pros
Great discount, excellent flexibility, friendly staff
Cons
Uncomfortablely hot when printing labels
Very productive
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Exeter31 October 2016
HMV is a lot of fun if you have a passion for music and films. Mine was only a temporary contract which I was a bit disappointed about as it is a very fun place to work and I really did enjoy it.
Interesting
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield3 June 2016
I very much enjoyed working for HMV and it was a lot of help because it enabled me to gain much needed experience. The hardest part had to be finishing at 11 o'clock at night, but there were so many good points to the jobs it would be hard to choose just one.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Late nights
fun and happy
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Grimsby6 March 2016
Although I was only there for a short time the staff at HMV made me feel welcome and made learning the job as easy as possible. The staff made you feel welcome and the management were as helpful as possible. they never made you do more than you could handle.
Pros
decent management
Lovely place to work
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ipswich9 February 2016
A typical day at work would include; working on the tills, putting new stock out, helping customers find particular items they were looking for on the electronic system or taking initiative and finding it without the system. I learnt how to use a till, people skills. My co-workers were all lovely and my shifts seemed to always be when there wasn't that many temporary staff on, so I worked with a lot of the permanent staff and they were wonderful. The hardest part of the job would have to be loss prevention. The most enjoyable part of the job was - almost everything else. If you love music/film/tv etc, then you will like working there.
Good and fun work place
Christmas temp assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG1 February 2016
My short time working at HMV was really enjoyable. The staff I worked with were all fun to talk to and there were no disagreements or arguments between members despite the heavy work load.

A typical night shift for me would include helping unpack and sort the pallets we had received on the night (which ranged from 5 to begin with and 15 coming up to the start of December). Then dealing with the totes that I had been designated (which would vary from 4 - 20) to put out stock. After the totes had been dealt with we would move on to putting out stock that was not placed inside of totes. Aside from the main duty of stock handling, I would also help with floor displays and floor layout, moving large amounts of stock around to fit with the plans from the main office.

Management was good, each section had their own team leader and we had our manager working with us. There wasn't the feeling of working under a manager as they took on the same responsibilities of us and they never pushed their authority role in our faces, we never did anything which led them to do such a thing either.

My co-workers were an absolute pleasure to work with, seeing as it was night shift there were fewer than 10 people working so everyone actually knew each other and got to form a friendship with them which carried on outside of work hours. Everyone had fun and conversations never felt forced.

The hardest part of the job was outside of work. Finishing work at 5:30am and getting home for nearly 7am meant that I had very little time to myself and very little time to be with family and friends, the
  more... heavy lifting would tire me out to the point where I'd sleep through for nearly 12 hours solidly.

It's hard to say what the most enjoyable part of the job was because it all just came together in a way in which everything was enjoyable, the people, the type of work and the energy from everyone just made it great.
Pros
We could pick any movie on the shop floor to watch on break. 30% staff discount.
Cons
Long hours for minimum wage. Awkward hours.
Amazing place to work
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG16 May 2015
I loved working at HMV but I was only there for a month for the Christmas Temp role. I love the products they sell and I love helping people find the products they are looking for. My duties included serving customers on the till and offering discounted products. Walking the shop floor and assisting customers.
Pros
30% discounts
Amazing place to work.
Multifunctional Staff Member - Seasonal colleague (Former Employee) –  Colchester, ENG24 February 2015
Working at HMV was by far the best work experience I've ever had. No two days were ever the same and you were constantly kept on your toes when carrying out your daily jobs. You're never just doing one thing for a whole day. You could start on tills for an hour and then be putting stock out, then a further hour later be assisting customers first hand.

During my time on the job I met a range of incredible people - both staff and customers, many of whom I still talk to. Everyone is so open-minded and kind, we all got one with one another and that led to a permanently good atmosphere, always chilled and never a dull day.

Whilst working at HMV I learned a to do things that I'd never done before. For example track. Track was where we'd look up products and their availability, it was daunting at first because there's so many words and keyboard actions, but easy once you know what you're doing.

The management team are the best team I've worked with. They are all such genuine people who demonstrate just the right balance of strictness and ability to have a laugh. They were very welcoming and patient when I was getting to grips with everything. I honestly have not a bad word to say about them, they all take great pride in their jobs and thus setting that example for all other members of staff to follow.

The hardest part of the job was how busy it got during the Christmas period. Obviously it was always going to busy at that time of the year and I knew that. There were occasionally technical difficulties i.e. promotions being offline which added to the seasonal stress but
  more... all in all it was always manageable.

In conclusion HMV is the best place I've ever worked and probably ever will work.
Pros
30% staff discount - amaze-balls.
Cons
They don't need more full time staff - ha!
Lovely Place to work, sad it was only a seasonal position!
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canterbury12 January 2015
HMV Canterbury is a lovely place to work. Colleagues were really friendly and helpful when getting to know the store, and were quick to accept you and didn't make you feel unwanted. Management is fantastic, always looking to teach staff new things and is there for a chat if needs be. I learnt a lot on the job, most of which will be valuable experience in later life in the world of retail. Hardest part was leaving! The long hours and stress of christmas were difficult, but expected.
Pros
Good Staff Discount
Cons
Would love to work here again
seasonal colleague (Former Employee) –  gateshead11 December 2014
I worked here as a seasonal colleague for Christmas 2013

In a shift we're given a split rota, so I spent 1/2 hours on till and 1/2 hours on the shop floor handing out promotional leaflets to customers as they enter the store, offering assistance, folding T-shirts (which is annoying because customers ruin your time spent folding within minutes, where the supervisor would call us back to fix again and again) and facing up products when necessary.

Hardest part of the job would probably be removing the security tags, I never quite caught on how to remove them.
Also finding games behind the counter was difficult at times as there's not much space to move past staff at the till. Half the time the game had sold out upstairs so had to run downstairs to fetch the game.

My co-workers were extremely helpful, always willing to help out when we were struggling how to use the computer stock check screen, mostly using f1 keys etc.

Sometimes you might get called to help in the stock room with price tagging items for promotion sales/ regular prices. Or asked to help out in finance office, which I'm unsure of the duties for that.
Pros
Friendly staff with common interests, always kept busy
Cons
Finding stock in the warehouse, getting asked to work a different department you're not familiar with.
Fun workplace, lively.
XMAS Temp (Former Employee) –  Rotherham23 September 2014
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the store I worked in had to close down but the short while I worked there was amazing.

I used to get to work thriving and ready to get out on the shop floor. I learned how to deal with customers face to face, in regards of customer service, customer complaints and customer sales.

The management were amazing always pushing you to thrive and making sure that all your needs were met to make sure that you were comfortable and happy in the work place.

My co-workers were fantastic, kept everything fun and lively, whilst maintaining a professional standard. We used to set our own sales based competitions to help boost sales whilst having a little friendly colleague competition.

The hardest part of this job was having to leave, they were no real difficult times, even when the store was really really busy, I still loved every minute of my job.
Pros
F2F interaction, sales, customer service.
Cons
Store closed.
Shop Assistant.
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Manchester15 August 2014
A typical day involved being on the tills and serving customers. This was very basic shop assistant work, it involved customer contact on a daily basis, as well as cash handling.
Became a bit too corporate
Team Member (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, ENG6 August 2014
Fun job but became less customer friendly i feel. hardest part of the job is trying to help people when your hands are tied. trying to upsell and failing, then management on your case.
Pros
excellent discount
Cons
management