HMV Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Great workplace environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset9 October 2018
Strong focus on teamwork and the workplace environment.
Excellent management team.
Reasonable worksheet patterns and good staff discount benefits as well as a decent salary, minimum wage.
Fun place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire8 October 2018
I was a Christmas temp and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I met some amazing people, staff and customers. I loved being part of the HMV family. We all got on so well and there was always opportunities to meet up out side of work. Management were excellent. And everybody worked so well as a team. Always willing to help each other out. And you were well taken care of.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks. Chilled environment. Great management. Great team.
Amazing
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon7 October 2018
I loved working at HMV. It was different every day and it definitely wasn't the easiest. I had a great manager, however the rest of the employees didn't get along with him. This made it difficult when leaving and incentives were involved.
Productive, Fun and Educational
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Bradford19 August 2018
From my personal experience at HMV it has been both productive and enlightening in both understanding retail (as a first job) and how the business side of media and entertainment works. Work life is different each days as you meet new people and learn new things from both colleagues and customers alike within Film, Tv and Music.

I have become more confident and relaxed with crowds of people and being able to engage in conversations with both colleagues and customers alike and having different opinions and interests creates interesting points of conversations on different topics within media and entertainment. I know what is expected of me each day, what my goals are and what i can do to improve within my area of work.

I personally run a section and manage it within my store, which is the E.R.M (Entertainment Related Merchandise). Within this i work with t shirts, toys, gifts, collectibles, mugs and glasses for example and have guidelines to follow and keep up to date with, as well as putting my own spin and way of organisation into them from time to time.

The store is managed and balanced as you can expect from a manager, assistant manager and supervisor, all of which play crucial roles in making each day run smoothly from allocating jobs to each member of staff, to implementing changes in store sent from higher up in the company and keeping morale up and motivation train running.

The job has its hard times, but only come the busiest times of the year such as Christmas where as any one who has worked in retail will tell you is where its all hands on deck and the
  more... entire store working like clockwork from the morning till finish.

The most enjoyable parts of the job are meeting new people each day and having conversations both in general and educationally, also with colleagues which the mix of personalities that come together in our store makes each day that much more fun.

Another positive is the sense of pride and accomplishment when you help a customer, in general and being thanked for the service, but more so when you take the time to get to know the customer or even are on a similar wave length from talking to them and being able to highlight and find a specific item, be that in store or on the online website as it feels almost personal and that much pleasant and fun.

For any person that follows be that as a die hard fan within film, music or tv or just casual watches and listens,working at HMV is a fun and engaging job with the opportunity to work with others with similar interests and knowledge within areas of the media and entertainment industry and expect each day to be different than the last.
Pros
Working with amazing and interesting people, Learning and sharing knowledge with customers and colleagues alike in Film, TV and Music
Local Managers tried their best.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro16 August 2018
People tried their best, but other than a 30% staff discount, little is offered in reward and pay is poor, and you are unlikely to get the offer of full or even near to full-time hours.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Its a hectic retail enviroment with no chance of progression
Terrible pay and Pushy management
Former Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cribbs Causeway, Bristol25 July 2018
Terrible Pay, terrible hours, messy scheduling (just giving you more time when it best suits them) and Assistant Manger is never Satisfied! You’re about to become a robot, enjoy!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, Hours, Lazy Training
Retail store closed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 July 2018
It was a good environment to work. friendly staff members with a passion for what they do.
The money at HMV at the time was not great, but the job was not tasking.
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Leicester11 June 2018
Working here has been realy enjoyable, colleagues were friendly and the workload is not too straining. The hours are okay, the only downside for me would be the pay.
Not what I expected
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcestershire30 May 2018
I was on a 10 hour contract, typically weekend work as that is when it got busy. The shifts were around 5 hours and would go fairly slowly, especially on Sundays. I didn't find myself learning an awful lot. We were expected to upsell these PureHMV cards which act as a loyalty card to collect points. I thought they expected too much from us to be able to sell 10 of these cards every weekend, especially when the customer would have to spend £3 on it, so only worth the money if you're a regular. They were a hard product to sell, and my manager threatened to fail my probation if I didn't sell them.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad Management
Good atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow7 April 2018
Only worked over christmas period. Was enjoyable though. Only bad moment while working here - public transport and taxis were all cancelled due to extreme weather that year and got told by manager that i had feet and could walk. Took 3 hours to walk to work, and when i arrived the store was closed, manager didnt bother to call anyone back.
Pros
Staff discount
Brilliant place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland6 April 2018
Brilliant place to work, no issues what so ever, great team that help you no matter what and amazing managment that will sort out any problem with ease. Would have stayed if got the chance.
Pros
Music and staff
Cons
Excellent people, excellent products, but retail is retail
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk4 March 2018
If it wasn't for the people I work with, I would have considered leaving earlier. Progression doesn't really happen unless someone leaves, the pay isn't great and as I said, retail is retail; it's not meant for everyone. Having to sell £3 Pure cards (loyalty cards) is a pain as well.
However, you get to listen to pretty great music most of the time, a very comfortable and relaxed uniform, can slowly take on more responsibilities and it's definitely NOT a bad place to work at all!
Pros
Hour lunches, fair holiday, great music, great products, comfortable uniform, excellent atmosphere
Cons
Poor pay, lack of progression through company, selling £3 loyalty cards (KPIs)
Fun and energetic workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset25 February 2018
A very welcoming and friendly staff. Typical day at work would be serving customers, stock replenishment and orders. The workplace culture was very friendly as well as efficient and diverse. Considering HMV was hit hard by the recession, the management have done well to strengthen the company and build back the retail. The manager of this branch in particular was fantastic and treated everyone with equal respect. The most enjoyable part of the job was building a rapport/expanding my interpersonal skills with customers as well as staff. The hardest part was the initial training of which i became adept the longer i worked there.
Good part time job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough21 February 2018
Worked here part time previously and I enjoyed it but heaven forbid you finish on time.
Very rarely would you finish within 5 mins of finishing your shift and the staff just said it was the normal but 10-15mins extra every shift does add up and you didn't get paid for it.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Temp contracts
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex8 February 2018
very enjoyable working for HMV a typical day for me was justr being on till for four hours then break and another four hours on till ,this wasn't always the case as I didn't always do 8 hour shifts but was common .
Pros
Discount
Fun and friendly
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness25 January 2018
Typical day at HMV included working tills, restocking, tidying displays and processing orders alongside handling customer enquiries. I learned how to operate a till, process orders, gained product knowledge of a wide range. The workplace culture in this store was great very relaxed if you did your job properly, everyone was happy to help and the age range of colleagues improved the dynamic because it encouraged you to socialise with people you normally wouldn't meet. The hardest part of this job was dealing with customer negative feedback, it can be hard to get products for customers sometimes and it can be frustrating to explain.
Best part of the job was the people i worked with, the discount was also a good perk of the job.
Pros
Discount, Progression
Cons
Long hours on feet
Productive and a Chilled Environment.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire16 January 2018
You become one of the team in an instant. Everyone's friendly to work with and help is always given if required. You can have a laugh about anything and overall its a very chilled environment to work.
Pros
Long Lunch
Excellent
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire14 January 2018
The shifts were fantastic and never felt like they had dragged; the team to work with were a pleasure. I can't say there was a hardest part of the job as each thing I found challenging was something I worked long and hard on. Each moment was enjoyable and management was fantastic.
Pros
enjoyable job, fantastic team
Great fun, nice managers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire7 January 2018
It's good fun but be prepared to learn fast to know where to find a product. The till systems are good to use. My management were great! They arranged my timetable around my studies. I was only a Christmas temp and they don't keep temps on but you are in line for further recruitment. I would go back if given the chance. Lovely co-workers, nice discount.
Pros
Staff discount, nice managers and colleagues
Cons
They can't keep xmas staff on sadly as not enough demand
Fun place to work, but there's neither full-time nor permanent positions
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London3 January 2018
I worked at HMV as a temp for 2016 Christmas period. There was the promise that they would chose 2 of the temps to become permanent. Nobody was chosen. It's only a way of making people work hard until the very end of the contract, and then "good bye".
Pros
Fun
Cons
Impossibility to progress