HMV Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Sales assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester25 November 2018
I would work in the store helping customers with returns and complaints as well as working at the check out. I would help with putting out stock as well
Good benefits but very poor management.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidstone6 November 2018
When I first started my job at HMV I was very excited due to me being such a fan of media, film and music, but after a couple years of working there I discovered that it's not the job I once thought it might be.
If you're looking at joining HMV, be prepared to spend 90% of your time harassing customers to join the HMV loyalty scheme (HMV PURE), in which you have to get customers to pay a £3 fee for a loyalty card in which they can earn points and rewards. If you don't hit a certain target then all h*ll breaks lose and you won't hear the end of it from anyone higher up than you. Regardless of whether you have served 1 customer in an hour on a quiet day, management expects you to hit that target. Even when you hit your target or more, nothing gets said, no praise, no thanks, which is always disappointing, but instead having the manager call down or visit the shop floor to moan at you in front of customers which is unprofessional.
I spent most of my 3 years working for HMV being messed around and confused as my manager would constantly change my contract, including my hours, my job role and more. 1 month I would be working 4 days a week, then the next month I was being told that I was only working for the weekend without any notice.
The last few months of my time working with HMV was the straw that broke the camel's back, being messed around on a daily basis and being lied to, basically being told that they didn't want me to stay on, trying to encourage me to hand in my leaving notice and giving a full-time contract (which I had been asking for, for a year) to a Christmas
  more... temporary member of staff.
30% off with staff discount was good though, and a lot of the time, when the manager wasn't involved the store ran nicely and everyone got along well. People were more likely to reach targets and get more done. It seemed as though as soon as the manager was in, moral dropped drastically and people we're constantly moaning about their job and the days seemed a lot slower.
Management is the key to a good business and hard working staff. 10 out of the 12 people who worked there when I did have now left, and that says a lot about the management.
Pros
30% Staff discount.
Cons
Management, HMV Pure
The worst.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough19 October 2018
HMV Peterborough is one of the worst places you could ever work.

The staff are all two faced, the management run on favourites, the wage is terrible and you never get recognised for any of the work you do.

There are absolutely NO promotion prospects whatsoever.

Luckily one of the managers has recently moved to the Kettering branch, but his replacement is even worse.

Do not waste your time and effort on this failing company.
Hard work that pays off
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth14 October 2018
they're often understaffed so there is a lot of work to be done but once it's done it's very rewarding. Keeps you busy. The initiation into the team is easy going and never intimidating.
Great workplace environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset9 October 2018
Strong focus on teamwork and the workplace environment.
Excellent management team.
Reasonable worksheet patterns and good staff discount benefits as well as a decent salary, minimum wage.
Fun place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire8 October 2018
I was a Christmas temp and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I met some amazing people, staff and customers. I loved being part of the HMV family. We all got on so well and there was always opportunities to meet up out side of work. Management were excellent. And everybody worked so well as a team. Always willing to help each other out. And you were well taken care of.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks. Chilled environment. Great management. Great team.
Amazing
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon7 October 2018
I loved working at HMV. It was different every day and it definitely wasn't the easiest. I had a great manager, however the rest of the employees didn't get along with him. This made it difficult when leaving and incentives were involved.
Productive, Fun and Educational
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Bradford19 August 2018
From my personal experience at HMV it has been both productive and enlightening in both understanding retail (as a first job) and how the business side of media and entertainment works. Work life is different each days as you meet new people and learn new things from both colleagues and customers alike within Film, Tv and Music.

I have become more confident and relaxed with crowds of people and being able to engage in conversations with both colleagues and customers alike and having different opinions and interests creates interesting points of conversations on different topics within media and entertainment. I know what is expected of me each day, what my goals are and what i can do to improve within my area of work.

I personally run a section and manage it within my store, which is the E.R.M (Entertainment Related Merchandise). Within this i work with t shirts, toys, gifts, collectibles, mugs and glasses for example and have guidelines to follow and keep up to date with, as well as putting my own spin and way of organisation into them from time to time.

The store is managed and balanced as you can expect from a manager, assistant manager and supervisor, all of which play crucial roles in making each day run smoothly from allocating jobs to each member of staff, to implementing changes in store sent from higher up in the company and keeping morale up and motivation train running.

The job has its hard times, but only come the busiest times of the year such as Christmas where as any one who has worked in retail will tell you is where its all hands on deck and the
  more... entire store working like clockwork from the morning till finish.

The most enjoyable parts of the job are meeting new people each day and having conversations both in general and educationally, also with colleagues which the mix of personalities that come together in our store makes each day that much more fun.

Another positive is the sense of pride and accomplishment when you help a customer, in general and being thanked for the service, but more so when you take the time to get to know the customer or even are on a similar wave length from talking to them and being able to highlight and find a specific item, be that in store or on the online website as it feels almost personal and that much pleasant and fun.

For any person that follows be that as a die hard fan within film, music or tv or just casual watches and listens,working at HMV is a fun and engaging job with the opportunity to work with others with similar interests and knowledge within areas of the media and entertainment industry and expect each day to be different than the last.
Pros
Working with amazing and interesting people, Learning and sharing knowledge with customers and colleagues alike in Film, TV and Music
Local Managers tried their best.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro16 August 2018
People tried their best, but other than a 30% staff discount, little is offered in reward and pay is poor, and you are unlikely to get the offer of full or even near to full-time hours.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Its a hectic retail enviroment with no chance of progression
Terrible pay and Pushy management
Former Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cribbs Causeway, Bristol25 July 2018
Terrible Pay, terrible hours, messy scheduling (just giving you more time when it best suits them) and Assistant Manger is never Satisfied! You’re about to become a robot, enjoy!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, Hours, Lazy Training
Retail store closed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 July 2018
It was a good environment to work. friendly staff members with a passion for what they do.
The money at HMV at the time was not great, but the job was not tasking.
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Leicester11 June 2018
Working here has been realy enjoyable, colleagues were friendly and the workload is not too straining. The hours are okay, the only downside for me would be the pay.
Not what I expected
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcestershire30 May 2018
I was on a 10 hour contract, typically weekend work as that is when it got busy. The shifts were around 5 hours and would go fairly slowly, especially on Sundays. I didn't find myself learning an awful lot. We were expected to upsell these PureHMV cards which act as a loyalty card to collect points. I thought they expected too much from us to be able to sell 10 of these cards every weekend, especially when the customer would have to spend £3 on it, so only worth the money if you're a regular. They were a hard product to sell, and my manager threatened to fail my probation if I didn't sell them.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad Management
A typical retail job
Seasonal Sales Assistant at Westfield (Former Employee) –  Stratford14 May 2018
I worked at HMV Stratford branch, it was a typical retail job where the management push you to sell add on items and store royalty cards. If your numbers drop, you will be in a little bit of trouble.
Pros
Working in a music/films store
Cons
Pushy company
Good atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow7 April 2018
Only worked over christmas period. Was enjoyable though. Only bad moment while working here - public transport and taxis were all cancelled due to extreme weather that year and got told by manager that i had feet and could walk. Took 3 hours to walk to work, and when i arrived the store was closed, manager didnt bother to call anyone back.
Pros
Staff discount
Brilliant place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland6 April 2018
Brilliant place to work, no issues what so ever, great team that help you no matter what and amazing managment that will sort out any problem with ease. Would have stayed if got the chance.
Pros
Music and staff
Cons
Excellent people, excellent products, but retail is retail
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk4 March 2018
If it wasn't for the people I work with, I would have considered leaving earlier. Progression doesn't really happen unless someone leaves, the pay isn't great and as I said, retail is retail; it's not meant for everyone. Having to sell £3 Pure cards (loyalty cards) is a pain as well.
However, you get to listen to pretty great music most of the time, a very comfortable and relaxed uniform, can slowly take on more responsibilities and it's definitely NOT a bad place to work at all!
Pros
Hour lunches, fair holiday, great music, great products, comfortable uniform, excellent atmosphere
Cons
Poor pay, lack of progression through company, selling £3 loyalty cards (KPIs)
Fun and energetic workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset25 February 2018
A very welcoming and friendly staff. Typical day at work would be serving customers, stock replenishment and orders. The workplace culture was very friendly as well as efficient and diverse. Considering HMV was hit hard by the recession, the management have done well to strengthen the company and build back the retail. The manager of this branch in particular was fantastic and treated everyone with equal respect. The most enjoyable part of the job was building a rapport/expanding my interpersonal skills with customers as well as staff. The hardest part was the initial training of which i became adept the longer i worked there.
Good part time job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough21 February 2018
Worked here part time previously and I enjoyed it but heaven forbid you finish on time.
Very rarely would you finish within 5 mins of finishing your shift and the staff just said it was the normal but 10-15mins extra every shift does add up and you didn't get paid for it.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Temp contracts
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex8 February 2018
very enjoyable working for HMV a typical day for me was justr being on till for four hours then break and another four hours on till ,this wasn't always the case as I didn't always do 8 hour shifts but was common .
Pros
Discount