HMV Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Excellent
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire14 January 2018
The shifts were fantastic and never felt like they had dragged; the team to work with were a pleasure. I can't say there was a hardest part of the job as each thing I found challenging was something I worked long and hard on. Each moment was enjoyable and management was fantastic.
Pros
enjoyable job, fantastic team
Great fun, nice managers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire7 January 2018
It's good fun but be prepared to learn fast to know where to find a product. The till systems are good to use. My management were great! They arranged my timetable around my studies. I was only a Christmas temp and they don't keep temps on but you are in line for further recruitment. I would go back if given the chance. Lovely co-workers, nice discount.
Pros
Staff discount, nice managers and colleagues
Cons
They can't keep xmas staff on sadly as not enough demand
Fun place to work, but there's neither full-time nor permanent positions
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London3 January 2018
I worked at HMV as a temp for 2016 Christmas period. There was the promise that they would chose 2 of the temps to become permanent. Nobody was chosen. It's only a way of making people work hard until the very end of the contract, and then "good bye".
Pros
Fun
Cons
Impossibility to progress
Very fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston12 December 2017
Over christmas period the shop was always busy as you would expect. Staff all friendly and very close. Work well together. Management very good and easy to talk to.
fun place to work
Part time Christmas sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire23 November 2017
generally a good place to work. fun family environment good work benefits and friendly staff members. it is a good place to try and get a job if you enjoy being busy.
Fun place to work, but lots of pressure
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London10 November 2017
Hmv is a good place to work, the management is very good and alot of the staff are kind and friendly but once you start working you realise the store only cares about a couple of things, up selling customers, pure cards and reviews. from the first day I started the staff where already pressuring me into making sure I get as many of those 3 things as possible, and alot of the time they get angry at you if you forget to offer the customers those things, it can be a fun place to work but if you are going to apply for here get ready for high amounts of pressure towards milking every customer out of money.
Pros
Good management, friendly staff
Cons
High pressure from day one
Relaxing place to work. Ideal for those interested in movies, music etc
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter18 October 2017
HMV is a great place for those who enjoy retail, face to face interactions with people. Being able to share your interest in movies and music with customers was a benefit to the job, since it made you day go in faster. Management was fine and the pay was as expected.
Pros
Good relaxed work place
Cons
Little room for advancement
Fun and interesting workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole13 October 2017
Following the schedule for the day going to various parts of the shop at different points in the day. Placed at the door you would be in charge of greeting the customers when they entered the shop and seeing how they feel when they leave the shop as to ascertain whether or not they would return. Placed at the tills is the more important at Christmas based jobs due to the high volume of customers you would get in a day, there you must serve them at the tills to scan their DVDs, games or clothes, remove electronic tags and push other products on sale in the shop. Finally the other thing to do during the shift is to walk around the shop floor, checking in on customers and what they're looking for, asking if they need help and to keep an eye out for people who might be trying to steal products
Pros
Fun enviroment
Cons
only contacted position
Productive and fun workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire2 October 2017
The staff are great to work with, they make the working environment fun. Great overall experience working there. All staff members were extremely helpful when unsure in a task.
Productive, friendly and fun workplace
Part-time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London23 September 2017
A typical day involved serving customers, handling stock and organising the upcoming week's visual new release. I learned how to manage my time effectively, teach skills to fellow colleagues and how to complete tasks in a team and by myself. Management were always willing to help me when stuck and to encourage me on achievements. The most enjoyable elements of the job were my colleagues and the customers. The worst aspects were the rude customers and having to work faster when the store was short staffed.
Pros
Discounts in store and the shopping centre, tastecard membership, prizes for achieving personal targets
Cons
Periods when the store was short staffed

Want to know more about HMV?

Ask a question
This was work experience organised by my school
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Romford21 September 2017
This job was everything I could of asked for, working with music and technology and dealing with customers in the same age group as me and customers who had the same taste in music, games, movies etc. However this job was purely temporary and without pay due to it being work experience.
I stayed for the friends I made there.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 September 2017
I had worked at HMV for 3 years. Every year, there were more and more cuts, meaning year on year there was more pressure put onto the members of staff that do work there. Head office have no idea what it's like having to cope with such short staff and a thousand and one things to do - They're too busy getting free stuff from all the companies we deal with whilst us members of staff in the store, doing the hard work, are left with nothing.
Pros
Staff discount and generally good colleagues.
Cons
Staffing issues mean you're always run off your feet, often bad managing practices.
Great colleagues
PART TIME SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames30 July 2017
A typical day at work consists of serving customers, selling loyalty cards & replenishing stock.

The workplace culture is fun with a lot of like minded people.
Pros
Getting to listen to different types of music
Cons
Bad management, uncertain future
fun and easy going workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow29 July 2017
Whilst working here I thoroughly enjoyed the calm, easy going atmosphere throughout the day. I liked meeting new people and enjoyed helping customers when they needed assistance. I would highly recommend this role.
Pros
easy hours
Cons
long distance
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill28 July 2017
This gave me a real idea what the world of work is like in retail. Most days it was busy, but I worked with a friendly, quick-paced team. What I enjoyed about this job was that I got to work with a good team and I managed to get the work done because I had a lot of interest in it.

I would defiantly recommend if you can manage to work in a busy environment, as well as having an interest in the stores products.
Pros
I would receive help with no problem if I had any difficulties
Cons
Long hours in a busy enviroment
Amazing work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton16 July 2017
Working in HMV was a pleasure, the people who work there are all amazing to work and get along with, they're all easy to get along with, everyone works together in a team well and are just all amazing to work with
Pros
Full of nice people
Decent workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wood Green17 June 2017
a good work environment I only worked here for a short period but in that time i enjoyed the work. Nights at Christmas were long but well paid. The company itself has been through many tough patches and is still in a lot of debt so job security may be an issue.
Repetitive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe15 June 2017
As hmv only had a few store's left within the UK, it's not really fair of me to judge the remaining stores as I have had some very positive experience's shopping at these few stores. I'm sure that these remaining stores have better work habits and opportunities then when I worked at hmv.
Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth City Centre, Devon13 June 2017
I had a lovely time working at HMV, the people are all lovely it is like one big happy family. I just wish I could have stayed longer but unfortunately there wasn't another contract with the hours I needed. If I could work there again I would in a heartbeat.
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
not enough hours to work
Awful pay, nasty managers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire12 June 2017
Managers were nasty and rude and made me hate coming to work everyday. The pay was ridiculously low and discount was laughable. Hated working here and I will never buy from them as a customer again as I hate the environment now.