HMV Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Retail store closed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 July 2018
It was a good environment to work. friendly staff members with a passion for what they do.
The money at HMV at the time was not great, but the job was not tasking.
Not what I expected
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcestershire30 May 2018
I was on a 10 hour contract, typically weekend work as that is when it got busy. The shifts were around 5 hours and would go fairly slowly, especially on Sundays. I didn't find myself learning an awful lot. We were expected to upsell these PureHMV cards which act as a loyalty card to collect points. I thought they expected too much from us to be able to sell 10 of these cards every weekend, especially when the customer would have to spend £3 on it, so only worth the money if you're a regular. They were a hard product to sell, and my manager threatened to fail my probation if I didn't sell them.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad Management
Good atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow7 April 2018
Only worked over christmas period. Was enjoyable though. Only bad moment while working here - public transport and taxis were all cancelled due to extreme weather that year and got told by manager that i had feet and could walk. Took 3 hours to walk to work, and when i arrived the store was closed, manager didnt bother to call anyone back.
Pros
Staff discount
Brilliant place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland6 April 2018
Brilliant place to work, no issues what so ever, great team that help you no matter what and amazing managment that will sort out any problem with ease. Would have stayed if got the chance.
Pros
Music and staff
Cons
Excellent people, excellent products, but retail is retail
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk4 March 2018
If it wasn't for the people I work with, I would have considered leaving earlier. Progression doesn't really happen unless someone leaves, the pay isn't great and as I said, retail is retail; it's not meant for everyone. Having to sell £3 Pure cards (loyalty cards) is a pain as well.
However, you get to listen to pretty great music most of the time, a very comfortable and relaxed uniform, can slowly take on more responsibilities and it's definitely NOT a bad place to work at all!
Pros
Hour lunches, fair holiday, great music, great products, comfortable uniform, excellent atmosphere
Cons
Poor pay, lack of progression through company, selling £3 loyalty cards (KPIs)
Fun and energetic workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset25 February 2018
A very welcoming and friendly staff. Typical day at work would be serving customers, stock replenishment and orders. The workplace culture was very friendly as well as efficient and diverse. Considering HMV was hit hard by the recession, the management have done well to strengthen the company and build back the retail. The manager of this branch in particular was fantastic and treated everyone with equal respect. The most enjoyable part of the job was building a rapport/expanding my interpersonal skills with customers as well as staff. The hardest part was the initial training of which i became adept the longer i worked there.
Good part time job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough21 February 2018
Worked here part time previously and I enjoyed it but heaven forbid you finish on time.
Very rarely would you finish within 5 mins of finishing your shift and the staff just said it was the normal but 10-15mins extra every shift does add up and you didn't get paid for it.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Temp contracts
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex8 February 2018
very enjoyable working for HMV a typical day for me was justr being on till for four hours then break and another four hours on till ,this wasn't always the case as I didn't always do 8 hour shifts but was common .
Pros
Discount
Fun and friendly
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness25 January 2018
Typical day at HMV included working tills, restocking, tidying displays and processing orders alongside handling customer enquiries. I learned how to operate a till, process orders, gained product knowledge of a wide range. The workplace culture in this store was great very relaxed if you did your job properly, everyone was happy to help and the age range of colleagues improved the dynamic because it encouraged you to socialise with people you normally wouldn't meet. The hardest part of this job was dealing with customer negative feedback, it can be hard to get products for customers sometimes and it can be frustrating to explain.
Best part of the job was the people i worked with, the discount was also a good perk of the job.
Pros
Discount, Progression
Cons
Long hours on feet
Productive and a Chilled Environment.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire16 January 2018
You become one of the team in an instant. Everyone's friendly to work with and help is always given if required. You can have a laugh about anything and overall its a very chilled environment to work.
Pros
Long Lunch
Excellent
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire14 January 2018
The shifts were fantastic and never felt like they had dragged; the team to work with were a pleasure. I can't say there was a hardest part of the job as each thing I found challenging was something I worked long and hard on. Each moment was enjoyable and management was fantastic.
Pros
enjoyable job, fantastic team
Great fun, nice managers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire7 January 2018
It's good fun but be prepared to learn fast to know where to find a product. The till systems are good to use. My management were great! They arranged my timetable around my studies. I was only a Christmas temp and they don't keep temps on but you are in line for further recruitment. I would go back if given the chance. Lovely co-workers, nice discount.
Pros
Staff discount, nice managers and colleagues
Cons
They can't keep xmas staff on sadly as not enough demand
Fun place to work, but there's neither full-time nor permanent positions
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London3 January 2018
I worked at HMV as a temp for 2016 Christmas period. There was the promise that they would chose 2 of the temps to become permanent. Nobody was chosen. It's only a way of making people work hard until the very end of the contract, and then "good bye".
Pros
Fun
Cons
Impossibility to progress
Very fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston12 December 2017
Over christmas period the shop was always busy as you would expect. Staff all friendly and very close. Work well together. Management very good and easy to talk to.
fun place to work
Part time Christmas sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire23 November 2017
generally a good place to work. fun family environment good work benefits and friendly staff members. it is a good place to try and get a job if you enjoy being busy.
Fun place to work, but lots of pressure
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London10 November 2017
Hmv is a good place to work, the management is very good and alot of the staff are kind and friendly but once you start working you realise the store only cares about a couple of things, up selling customers, pure cards and reviews. from the first day I started the staff where already pressuring me into making sure I get as many of those 3 things as possible, and alot of the time they get angry at you if you forget to offer the customers those things, it can be a fun place to work but if you are going to apply for here get ready for high amounts of pressure towards milking every customer out of money.
Pros
Good management, friendly staff
Cons
High pressure from day one
Relaxing place to work. Ideal for those interested in movies, music etc
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter18 October 2017
HMV is a great place for those who enjoy retail, face to face interactions with people. Being able to share your interest in movies and music with customers was a benefit to the job, since it made you day go in faster. Management was fine and the pay was as expected.
Pros
Good relaxed work place
Cons
Little room for advancement
Fun and interesting workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole13 October 2017
Following the schedule for the day going to various parts of the shop at different points in the day. Placed at the door you would be in charge of greeting the customers when they entered the shop and seeing how they feel when they leave the shop as to ascertain whether or not they would return. Placed at the tills is the more important at Christmas based jobs due to the high volume of customers you would get in a day, there you must serve them at the tills to scan their DVDs, games or clothes, remove electronic tags and push other products on sale in the shop. Finally the other thing to do during the shift is to walk around the shop floor, checking in on customers and what they're looking for, asking if they need help and to keep an eye out for people who might be trying to steal products
Pros
Fun enviroment
Cons
only contacted position
Productive and fun workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire2 October 2017
The staff are great to work with, they make the working environment fun. Great overall experience working there. All staff members were extremely helpful when unsure in a task.
Productive, friendly and fun workplace
Part-time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London23 September 2017
A typical day involved serving customers, handling stock and organising the upcoming week's visual new release. I learned how to manage my time effectively, teach skills to fellow colleagues and how to complete tasks in a team and by myself. Management were always willing to help me when stuck and to encourage me on achievements. The most enjoyable elements of the job were my colleagues and the customers. The worst aspects were the rude customers and having to work faster when the store was short staffed.
Pros
Discounts in store and the shopping centre, tastecard membership, prizes for achieving personal targets
Cons
Periods when the store was short staffed