HMV Employee Reviews for Loss Prevention Officer

Fun place
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Midlands4 October 2017
Best job I had until they made loss prevention redundant very fun pleasant and rewarding job miss it stock taking talking to customers playing new technology and catching shoplifters great job all round and store manager was ace
Pros
Good working hours busy job
Cons
Not enough break time
Review
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Loughborough2 July 2016
Good company to work for with lots of career opportunies.
The company is willing to train employee with little or no experience.
More concerned with money than staff morale
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Piccadilly Circus Station13 April 2016
The management only seemed to care about getting short term profits, not long term. This meat that there were a lot of cut backs on things that didn't benefit staff. People were fired for no good reason. They tried to make people work unreasonable hours.
Pros
Fellow staff were great. Customers were great.Pay was good
Cons
Management were awful.
fun place to work
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead, ENG20 May 2015
Very fun place to work as the staff are all like minded. The hours were long with many weeks being over 50 hours of work. The great things included listening to any music we had in the store and being able to see the new films and listen to the new C.D's before release.
Pros
Great 30% discount
Cons
Nice people and a good company
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Bond Street30 July 2014
I learned about control and restraint, how to use CCTV, and security procedures. I enjoyed the peoples company I worked with and found that while it was quite a stressful position. The people made it that much better and the management were very fair.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Very Long Hours
Fun workplace and excellent team spirit
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENG8 May 2014
A typical day at HMV would consist of liaising with management and shop floor staff. Organising daily staff rotas.
Stock replenishments and stock ordering. Communicating with customers.
HMV has a great working atmosphere and all staff are very passionate about the products.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Management meetings
Good
Loss prevention officer (Former Employee) –  ENG17 February 2014
Working for HMV Romford as a Loss Prevention Officer between 2007- 2009 was quite exiting in terms of the knowledge and experience I gained working in a Business Risk Department.
As a Loss Prevention Officer, I was the point of contact for all Loss Prevention related matters in the shop. Even though loss prevention was quite tasking, I enjoyed the daily routine of completing the store’s stock takes, compliance audits, stock investigations, and supporting stores in the investigation and resolution of cash, till & stock discrepancies.
From a previous retail background on London’s major High Streets, loss prevention at HMV was an additional experience, because while on the job, I improved on personal skills such as security awareness, effective time management as well as effective communication at various levels within the business.
I organised Health and Safety training for the personnel, an experience which enabled me developed more analytical skills, initiative and a keen interest in developing a career in business management.
Pros
security awareness, business management skills and training skills.
Cons
working six days each week
exciting, vibrant workplace
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  leeds7 February 2014
i would be out on the shopfloor being a visible deterrent to ward off potential shoplifters but at the same time be there to assist customer in location of goods they were looking for. identifyiong missing stock and locating it was an enjoyable part of my day to day role. the people i worked with came form various backgrounds but i got on with all of them to make the day go much quicker.
Great
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  ENG9 January 2014
Fun company to work for, every day is different. I learned all the important information about being a loss prevention officer.
Very Enjoyable and fun Company
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  South Shields, ENG13 October 2013
Work in many departments within HMV and made some wonderful friends.
a company that promotes a fun & social atmosphere
Pros
Very enjoyable place to work
Cons
Low Income
Good place to work.
loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, ENG3 September 2013
Typical day in work was often fun.I learned how to monitor the store provision accounts,i obtained certificates in health & safety,conflict management,first aid.The management team were ok but co workers were first class.the most difficult part of the job was when it was very quiet in the dead months of february and march.The most enjoyable part was getting to watch and play new release titles.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Pink uniform
Exellent Company
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Blackburn18 July 2013
Exellent customer service provided by HMV staff.

Exellent management and support.
A good environment for developing customer service and security skills alongside each other
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Hanley10 July 2013
Until the company went into administration, my role was more varied and with a high level of responsibility. My typical day included
- stock taking
- using CCTV
- deterring and arresting criminals,
- writing statements and liaising with local authority services following an arrest
- investigating loss
I learned many skills with regard to security work and loss prevention, and also developed my customer interaction skills.
Since being made redundant, I have maintained contact with several of my co-workers, with whom I have developed a good relationship with over my time working with them.
The most difficult aspect of my role was ensuring all rules were adhered to, to avoid putting myself or others in a potentially threatening situation - something I took pride. The most enjoyable part of my job was when investigations came to a successful conclusion.
Pros
A varied role
Cons
Poor job security, ultimately ending with redundancy
enjoyable and very relaxed and interesting
loss prevention officer (Current Employee) –  nuneaton19 April 2013
sign in, check all staff signed in, check fire exits are clear, check cctv is working, check all tills and pedestals are working, shop opens , do tasking that is relevant to the day, check chart cds, check chart dvds, check games, all this is done as a stock count, while keeping an eye out for shop lifters and unruly people..
i learned about customer service, health and safety and how important it is, first aid, also learnt about theft in retail.
all co workers were very co operative and pleasant.
the hardest part of the job was a report i had to do which i mastered.
my manager was very pleasant great to work for.
the most enjoyable part of the job was helping the public
Pros
staff discount
Cons
working weekends and bank holidays
Productive and good play to work
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Bexleyheath19 February 2013
Opening / Closing store
Check stock levels - deter theft
Management are helpful when needing assistance
Co-workers are very friendly
Hardest part of job is to deter theft
The best part of the job is 30% discount.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
short-breaks
loss preventions officer
loss prevention officer (Former Employee) –  sw615 January 2013
My main duties as a loss preventions officer (LPO) was to be make shore no one steals products from the store and also make shore that the correct amount of products has come in from the delivery est.

During summer 2012 I completed a short course in which I achieved my SIA Doorman Badge, this short course gave me all the nessicary information I needed to to know in order to become a qualified doors men.
Pros
gave me an insight into the industry
Cons
not a lot of members
Fun workplace with knowledgable people
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes28 December 2012
Each day is different, as the challenges that come up are varied. A lot of people who work there are passionate about the products.
Pros
good benefits
Very fun
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Central London26 November 2012
I would open the store as well closing it, best part of the job was Operating the Cameras also i use to keep fit by Patrolling the Store Stock Checks were done as much as possible to keep customers happy with our service we provided and my job was to all Employees I really enjoyed ches
working in HMV the atmosphere and the staff were very helpful and easy to get along with. The fact i worked in Central London before was a bonus for me as i enjoy that side of town
Pros
get access to all the latest releases movies, games etc
Cons
underground can sometimes be a nuisance