HMV Employee Reviews in London

Productive, friendly and fun workplace
Part-time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London23 September 2017
A typical day involved serving customers, handling stock and organising the upcoming week's visual new release. I learned how to manage my time effectively, teach skills to fellow colleagues and how to complete tasks in a team and by myself. Management were always willing to help me when stuck and to encourage me on achievements. The most enjoyable elements of the job were my colleagues and the customers. The worst aspects were the rude customers and having to work faster when the store was short staffed.
Pros
Discounts in store and the shopping centre, tastecard membership, prizes for achieving personal targets
Cons
Periods when the store was short staffed
I stayed for the friends I made there.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 September 2017
I had worked at HMV for 3 years. Every year, there were more and more cuts, meaning year on year there was more pressure put onto the members of staff that do work there. Head office have no idea what it's like having to cope with such short staff and a thousand and one things to do - They're too busy getting free stuff from all the companies we deal with whilst us members of staff in the store, doing the hard work, are left with nothing.
Pros
Staff discount and generally good colleagues.
Cons
Staffing issues mean you're always run off your feet, often bad managing practices.
Sometimes fun, mostly stressful
STOCK ROOM CONTROLLER/SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  London10 May 2017
Used to be a well run and plesent company to work for but has lost its way somewhat in recently years due to over complicated processes for the simplist tasks and poor upper management.
Pros
Interesting product
Cons
Poor upper management
my time working at HMV
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London7 May 2016
I learned whilst working at HMV that the customer's needs are always important as any other retail job. Communication with co-workers is key because if you don't understand something you shouldn't feel shy and not ask if/when you need help.
Horrible experience
Sales Assistant aka "Colleague" (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, London16 March 2016
Worked at the new London store for the Xmas period for about 3 months.

Colleagues were mostly unfriendly, management would put a lot of pressure for reaching the sales targets for specific items(the horrible unsellable cds and dvds by the tills.

I've seen people getting a written warning for not hitting the target for 3 weeks in a row.

No way to get on the promotion ladder, supervisors and key holders (the rank before supervisor) been working there for 7+ years.

No flexibility for shifts, you can easily do 2 months of closing shift, hard to change shifts with others.

Horrible experience overall but the pay was good and discount is good too!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Learning experience as a stepping stone
Security Assistant in the Croydon and Oxford (Former Employee) –  London15 February 2016
Did not spend enough time there to fully appreciate it, but the hours were long and very little incentive to go beyond the call of duty.
Poor business model
I reached the level of Supervisor (Former Employee) –  london warehouse3 November 2015
Their business model was very poor. just one of the reasons the company collapsed. Generally an ok company to work for but it did go into administration.
Productive environment
AS400 Technical support specialist (Former Employee) –  London24 September 2015
There were never 2 days the same , and my tasks were varied. After working for the company for 18 months I realised that there was no career progression.
Pros
Good pension scheme
Cons
No career progression
Relaxed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London2 August 2015
A typical day at work would entail coming into the store and helping to set store up before opening times. I learned how to deal with customers and that their needs come first.
Days at work in HMV
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG29 July 2015
it was always calm never busy the only busy days was the weekends but always having a smile on my face and focusing only on the customers was my main priority every now and then we would get a few angry customers because their dvd or CDs wasn;t working so I simply just asked them to calm down and i would replace it i was working 9 till 5 lunch was at 12:30 till 1:30 and on saturdays i would work 10 til 3
Pros
free DVDs
Cons
too hot inside
Enjoyable place to work for
Administrator Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG9 July 2015
Assessing invoices from suppliers
Ensuring goods are dispatched to the right stores.
Updating data daily for retail branches and responsible for weekly finance checks for audit purposes.
Work experience
Store room (Former Employee) –  London, ENG3 June 2015
Very friendly staff, busy day working there had very good learning opportunities in dealing with customers. manager was always there if you needed to speak to him, but work experienced was ruined by 1 member of staff as she did not like the work experience group.
Pros
okay Lunches, friendly staf
Cons
Ruined by that one member of staff
Enjoyed the job
buyer and seller (Former Employee) –  london18 October 2014
Liked the job but the pay wasn't great.

The management were excellent.

Fantastic staff discount.
Pros
met some great people, great staff discount
Cons
poor pay
fun place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG5 July 2014
hmv is a great store and ill love to work their again, all the staff are friendly and helpful and just great to be around. what i like about hmv is that staff like to enjoy themselves at work by putting on the radio and listening to music while working. hmv is a great place and a good business.
Good working environment
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG6 March 2014
It was a good experience considering I was only there for 2 weeks for work experience.
Pros
short days
Fun workplace
Bar Tender/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ENG5 February 2014
I served customers drinks and snacks from bars at events in HMV Forum venue. Every and most weekends, events takes place, and it attracts alot of people from far places and abroad so i get to interact with foreigners, cool co-workers and fun managers. It was very fun to work with HMV forum I had alot of tips from customers and as much as it gets busy we tried to keep things under control.
Pros
Punctual
Cons
Finish Late
Stuck in the stone age of retail
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London29 January 2014
Till software is over 15 years out of date, staff do jobs to a very passible degree to not be shouted at.

Very little chance of any career advancement.

Lack of communication on every level.

Motivation is hit store targets or we all get shouted at.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Till software.
Excellent work and life balance
Helpdesk coordinator/Team leader (Former Employee) –  London, ENG26 January 2014
There was no such thing as a typical day when I was at hmv, it was a case of what will be thrown at us today. It was always busy and issues could range from a pigeon in one of the stores to ceilings collapsing

I learned a lot from my job here, patience, a good attention to detail and management skills of my team of 4. My co-workers were fantastic and I believe I got the best out of them and encouraged them to work to their strengths

The hardest part of my job was the frustration of not being able to get issues resolved as soon as possible due to contractors or the fact that the issue was in a landlords domain, when it was taken out of my hands to get the resolution.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my team and co-workers, we helped support each other I also thoroughly enjoyed attending site meetings and the relationships that I built with all of the stores across the country and with the contractors we used.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Being on call evenings and weekends
Enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Stratford City London20 January 2014
Everyday was busy but also enjoyable.
Enjoyed the face to face customer contact.
Hmv
Temporary christmas shop assistant (Former Employee) –  london10 October 2013
Temporary christmas shop assistant, my duties included stock replenishment, helping customers to find what they are looking for, helping work colleagues and taking cash and card payments.