HMV Employee Reviews in Kingston upon Thames

Great colleagues
PART TIME SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames30 July 2017
A typical day at work consists of serving customers, selling loyalty cards & replenishing stock.

The workplace culture is fun with a lot of like minded people.
Pros
Getting to listen to different types of music
Cons
Bad management, uncertain future
Good Work Experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London15 February 2017
Its been over 7 years since working at HMV, but from what I remember, it was a fun place to work, with great people.
The work was straight forward and good for any teen looking to start in the service industry.
Pros
Easy Work
Cons
N/a
Alright
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames3 October 2016
Working the Christmas period was hectic. On occasion, management made questionable decisions and made it difficult to have a life outside of work.
Fun workplace and enjoyable.
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames4 July 2016
I found this job allowed me to gain some insight of a working environment and gave me the opportunity to help customers out with their shopping. A typical day at work consisted of stocking CD's and DVD's (and occasionally removing unsold items), working on computers and sorting out titles for upcoming CD's, loading and unloading boxes containing objects and merchandise. The management allowed me to work in a relaxing and friendly working space. My co-workers showed me how to work some of the machinery if needed and were extremely helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job was removing the unsold CD's, this is because this was the longest job I was required to do and this could sometimes take up a whole days work. The most enjoyable part of the job was unloading the new merchandise with other co-workers because this allowed us to get to know each other and find our interests in movies, music, etc.
Pros
Free Lunches, friendly co-workers, relaxing environment
Cons
Great atmosphere, solid training, good company.
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston19 February 2016
I was never unsure of what needed doing or what was expected of me and was always working with great people. At times, the atmosphere was less than relaxed (as this was around Christmastime), but it was never stressful for general staff - just extremely busy. I attribute that to the good training and solid communication on the floor.
Pros
Discounts, straight-forward work
Cons
Travel from home was sometimes frustrating.
fun place
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, ENG27 January 2016
this was my work experience i done when i was about 16 with my school it was really fun working there didn't get payed for it but it was good learn a lot
Pros
free goodies
Great people, bad company
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, ENG7 January 2016
From my experience the people you meet and work alongside in HMV are normally great friendly people, everyone is relatively relaxed as the work is easy. The work can sometimes however be too easy and you find yourself just walking around for hours literally just counting how many steps you've taken around the shop. Even though the managers are nice people they work for a company that seems to have no idea what they're doing, are very strict with time-wasting etc and generally just money grabbing. They set very unrealistic targets for the store and become frustrated when you aren't working your heart out for 6 or 7 pounds an hour. It's a company where you definitely can advance the ranks when you've been there long enough (3 or 4 years at least it would seem) but to be honest who would want to advance that much in a failing company.
Pros
Great people, customers often share similar interests, easy work
Cons
Expected and unpaid overtime some days, terrible management and head office, unrealistic targets, cheap and money grabbing, bad pay
fun workplace
Sales/Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, ENG30 July 2013
a typical day started doing reps to see what had been sold the day before then replacing the stock
i worked with some very nice people at hmv all from different back grounds but we still found alot in common as we all loved music and film.
the hardest part of the job was getting all the work done in time with limited staff, but we all pulled together to get the job done.
i learnt alot about different genres of music and what sells also learnt alot about merchandising product in the market place.

Want to know more about HMV?

Ask a question