HMV Employee Reviews in Glasgow

constant
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow24 April 2017
Place where your interests are your job. You get to discuss your favourite bands or films with customers and work together as a team to smash targets.
Pros
banter
Cons
Great colleagues and product but not much prospect for advancement
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow18 February 2017
Was a great company and well paid when I started but Year upon year any any positive thing has been eroded.No pay increases in the last four years while management get a sly bonus in lieu of their increase etc.Also the staffing levels are ridiculous now.Running on a skeleton crew as no one is replaced when they leave just to save the region money
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Poor wages and lack of staff
Great, fun, professional, working environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow14 February 2017
I loved my brief time at HMV. Every day was fun and rewarding and the team were incredibly passionate about their job and conveyed that in their everyday work ethic.
Pros
Great management team, staff, fun customer interactions, great high street retail experience
Cons
No job security at end of temporary contract.
Good company to work for and good friendly working environment
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow4 November 2016
Good overall place to work, I was in this while still studying and it was appreciated in the job. They allowed me to work with a flexibilty that honestly helped me achieve my goals. Some area's where uncomfortable, i.e. the area where price lables are produced was either uncomfortably hot to the point where a sauna would be a pleasing cold chill, or in winter it was more of a fridge.
Pros
Great discount, excellent flexibility, friendly staff
Cons
Uncomfortablely hot when printing labels
excellent to work there
Stock Room Worker (Former Employee) –  Glasgow9 May 2016
i loved working there, everyone was nice and fun-loving. i didn't have any pressure because my supervisor was helpful in sticky situations.
Christmas temp
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow25 April 2016
Christmas temp work, unorganized and very unreliable managers. Work was easy, hours given per week were very minimum. Staff complained about there job a lot.
Fun workplace
Sales assistant - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Glasgow Argyle23 June 2014
A typical day at work would be fun and hard working and being able to speak to new people everyday. All staff in the work place were lovely and you could always count on someone to have a laugh with. I learned a lot in HMV; I learned how to use the tills and improved my communication skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely working on the tills and the least enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the shift, having to put all of the stock in to alphabetical order.
Pros
Fun work mates
Cons
Too many breaks
Awesomeness
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT28 April 2014
this was the best job iv ever had great people great music the benefits of being able to play new games on your break the tech knowledge, i worked here as a Christmas temp and i would go back to work here any time great place to work
Pros
games, music, great people, crazy customer.
Cons
nothing
Great place to work, shame about the direction they took
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Glasgow23 June 2013
HMV was an excellent place to work, store managers generally knew what they where doing the staff were always great fun to be around and the atmosphere was brilliant, its just a shame that the guys up at head office didn't seem to know what they where doing and seemed to be trying to pull the company in 9 different direction at the one time through my time working there, and sadly it showed if the performance of the company as a whole which did go in to administration and sadly a lot of jobs where lost. If they pull themselves back up again then I would recommend that if you love games/films/music get a job there, even just for the summer.
Pros
Discount, Store Management, Great Values
Cons
Job Security
Productive encouraging workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow17 April 2013
Day to day tasks involved customer service, cash handling, minor loss prevention duties, housekeeping and merchandising.

I added to my customer service and sales skills that I had gained from my previous employment.

The store management were supportive and encouraging as were my co-workers.

The job itself was not particularly hard but what could be difficult about could also be enjoyable for instance when the store was busy and I was constantly on my toes it meant that I was occupied and able to talk to customers and find out what it was they were lookingfor.
Pros
great hours, great pay, great discount
Cons
little chance for movement up the promotional ladder
Challenging and exciting place to work.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow11 February 2013
There is no typical day at HMV. Every aspect of every day is aimed at making the customer experience as fun, enjoyable and productive as possible.
I have learned a great deal in my role from how to motivate a team to deliver every day and how to deal with under performance to managing costs and P&L targets.
I currently manage one of the strongest teams I have seen in any retail store. I am incredibly proud of what my staff achieve and deliver on a daily basis.
The most difficult part of my job is balancing the workload with limited resource and ensuring service is never compromised.
The most enjoyable part of my job is developing my team and watching individuals grow and reach their potential.
Pros
working with exciting product
Cons
uncertain future of company
Fantastic company to work for
HMV Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Argyle Street Glasgow9 August 2012
It was a christmas job so it was busy all day.
All staff where brill to talk to.
having the time to deal with all customers.
Play the games when there was no customers about
Pros
playing new games
Cons
running out of stock
Ok place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow5 August 2012
Typical day at work involves doing my tasks until 12pm then between 12pm-4pm we help customers
I really enjoy working with my co-workers although some do not work as a team, hardest part of my job is the type of shifts i do which means that i have so little time to myself
what i enjoy about the job is getting to meet people who come in to do signings and P.A's plus getting chat with customers about products they are buying
Pros
seeing live pa's
Cons
terrible shifts