HMV Employee Reviews in Birmingham

Just a few nice people in there...
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands25 January 2018
I worked at HMV for 6 six months.After this period and actually doing an excelent job they decided one day just to fire me...simple like that without reasons.When I asked why they just said that I am taking to much sick days...thing is that this actually didn't happen.Anyway we have our rights sincerally,like 3 sick in one year.I didn't had 3 in that year but anyway they fired me..they don't care about people.The only thing that they care about is that you work like crazy and hard.When you re actually sick and almost dead because of that they just get ride of you like nothing is happening like it is normal.
Pros
1h lunch
Cons
Long hours till lunch time
Enjoyable,friendly environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham27 May 2016
I enjoy working at HMV,I have learnt a lot and have had plenty of experience with dealing with customers I believe that I can further my skills in another establishment.
Pros
friendly environment with great team work
Cons
minimum wage
great fun and hard work
Store supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bullring birmingham10 May 2016
i worked at hmv at first a s a clenaing supervisor then a manager liked me and decided to offer me a job in retail . i worked at hmv for around a year and half .i enjoyed it so ,much great atmosphere and nice people to work with .i enjoy music so being able to listen to music while you worked was an added bonus .
Pros
music .great people
Cons
lower hours
270 per week
warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham10 March 2016
was a good job enjoyed it and gained new experience. was working with electronic goods, diuties was to make sure products are out on the store on time making sure they are price labelled.
Pros
free lunches
Good and fun work place
Christmas temp assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG1 February 2016
My short time working at HMV was really enjoyable. The staff I worked with were all fun to talk to and there were no disagreements or arguments between members despite the heavy work load.

A typical night shift for me would include helping unpack and sort the pallets we had received on the night (which ranged from 5 to begin with and 15 coming up to the start of December). Then dealing with the totes that I had been designated (which would vary from 4 - 20) to put out stock. After the totes had been dealt with we would move on to putting out stock that was not placed inside of totes. Aside from the main duty of stock handling, I would also help with floor displays and floor layout, moving large amounts of stock around to fit with the plans from the main office.

Management was good, each section had their own team leader and we had our manager working with us. There wasn't the feeling of working under a manager as they took on the same responsibilities of us and they never pushed their authority role in our faces, we never did anything which led them to do such a thing either.

My co-workers were an absolute pleasure to work with, seeing as it was night shift there were fewer than 10 people working so everyone actually knew each other and got to form a friendship with them which carried on outside of work hours. Everyone had fun and conversations never felt forced.

The hardest part of the job was outside of work. Finishing work at 5:30am and getting home for nearly 7am meant that I had very little time to myself and very little time to be with family and friends, the
  more... heavy lifting would tire me out to the point where I'd sleep through for nearly 12 hours solidly.

It's hard to say what the most enjoyable part of the job was because it all just came together in a way in which everything was enjoyable, the people, the type of work and the energy from everyone just made it great.
Pros
We could pick any movie on the shop floor to watch on break. 30% staff discount.
Cons
Long hours for minimum wage. Awkward hours.
Productive and fun workplace
Warehouse Picker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG29 August 2015
I learnt to work a scanner for the items needed to be picked and packed into boxes.

I knew when to ask for help from others when needed.

I knew when to report problems or concerns to the manager in charge.

My co workers were there to talk to and for me to ask for help when i needed it.

The hardest part of the job was picking and packing heavy iteam into the boxes required to use.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having a hours break and finishing the whole shift the following day.
Pros
Having a hours lunch break
Cons
Being on your feet for long hours
hmv
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG2 June 2015
Paid programme where the aim of this course is to provide an introduction to the philosophies, techniques and values that underpin various activities that support student learning.
All the info is currently listed already on my cv
customer service (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG21 August 2014
decent pay
good hours
amazing work team
great staff discount
Sales Assistant – HMV, Birmingham
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG29 May 2014
• Worked in teams to make sure the shop floor was tidy and all the stock was shelved in the correct location.
• I also worked on the tills during the busy Christmas period days.
Productive and interesting work place.
Customer service / Returns (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG31 March 2014
A typical day at work starts with sining yourself in and sining your personal belongings,like headphones,Iphone, Ipad, Cd's or DVD's. Then can go put your personal stuff in locker room, have drink and chat with work collegs in canteen. Work starts with meeting with supervisors, they give us instructions, whats the plan for day, targets and then we start do our work. picking orders and sending them to dispatch area. I did learned here how to plan work so it is esyer to do in shorter time. I learned how to deal with different culture and type people. Manegement in hmv are really helpfull. The hardest part in this job was to try and hit really high targets working at night shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeteng new people, and show supervisors that we can reach all the targets.

Want to know more about HMV?

Ask a question
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  birmingham28 March 2014
Had a fair experience while working for HMV as a tempoary christmas worker.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
fun workplace
order picking/packer (Former Employee) –  birmingham28 January 2014
good work and hours great people to work with packing game and computers
Fun, good working environment.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham31 July 2013
I enjoyed my time at HMV and after ten years of loyal service, I was sad to leave. Due to the high turnover of staff, I worked with many great co-workers and worked under some really inspirational team leaders and managers. The interaction with both the staff members and the customers alike made the job enjoyable, yet sometimes challenging. The Christmas period; September to January, was always very busy; having to undertake shop floor duties in a bustling shop was never easy, but a cool head and a focused outlook on my tasks at hand, kept the workload flowing smoothly. I had a good relationship with my managers and always understood what was expected of me. For instance, I always made sure I knew which particular member of the management team I should liaise with if I had a particular issue; this was something that I had learned through trial and error at the start of my career. In a typical day, I would replenish stock, transfer and update stock, both physically and on the computer system. I would work on the tills and floor walk, I would also continue to put stock out, and prepare sections for merchandising or improvements.
Pros
Staff discount, working around, music and film, great managers.
Cons
Not too much opportunity to climb career ladder.
Nice atmosphere and easy job.
Picker /packer/stock controler (Former Employee) –  Birmingham2 February 2013
We started our day at work from the meeting with our supervisors and we start prepare to work.I can pick orders,pack keeping KPI,wrap pallets,use scanner.
Pros
1h break
Cons
13h
Stock Processor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham15 January 2013
While i have been working at HMV never really had any problems. i like working there as im really into music/games/films.
Good
Warehouse operative. (Former Employee) –  Birmingham31 August 2012
Nice place to work, Friendly staff and clean warehouse. Equipment I had to use on a day to day basis was very good and the supervisors were good at pushing us to get things done on time and keeping us informed on how well we were doing.
Easy going
Warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham19 June 2012
start with briefing, using a lazer gun you will be order picking or putting away items into stock, items include cds, dvds, games and even apple products.
Learned how to use the sanning gun and thats about it.
Didnt really know the management but it was scarce.
some co-workers were bright some were extremly arragant.
Hardest part would be getting through the day because it dragged!
Having a laugh sometimes and the pool table was the most enjoyable.
Pros
an hour lunch
Cons
you dont get paid for the hour lunch