HMV Employee Reviews

The worst.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough19 October 2018
HMV Peterborough is one of the worst places you could ever work.

The staff are all two faced, the management run on favourites, the wage is terrible and you never get recognised for any of the work you do.

There are absolutely NO promotion prospects whatsoever.

Luckily one of the managers has recently moved to the Kettering branch, but his replacement is even worse.

Do not waste your time and effort on this failing company.
Cons
Fun and inclusive company to work for
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire26 July 2018
As an LPO my job was a multifaceted one. I was part security professional, part customer service, part stock controller and part health and safety officer. I had to learn to juggle a lot of different roles in one day and how to prioritise them.
The culture in the shop and company is excellent, the best I've experienced. They expect you to work hard and the work is fast paced, but there was a great team atmosphere.
The hardest aspect of the LPO roll is the stock control aspect. You have to know the in house systems well, be able to communicate problems to suppliers, and maintain the in store database.
Pros
Staff discount is very good
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire14 June 2018
A typical day of work at HMV was sorting out the various boxes whether it dvd, cd or games. I learned that it is not a easy work but as you do more and more, you get used to it. There are various management such as the owner, assistant and employees. The workplace culture is ok. The hardest part of the job is when there is a heavy box full of items. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking to the staffs as they are very helpful.
Pros
Helpful staffs
Great workplace environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset9 October 2018
Strong focus on teamwork and the workplace environment.
Excellent management team.
Reasonable worksheet patterns and good staff discount benefits as well as a decent salary, minimum wage.
Good benefits but very poor management.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidstone6 November 2018
When I first started my job at HMV I was very excited due to me being such a fan of media, film and music, but after a couple years of working there I discovered that it's not the job I once thought it might be.
If you're looking at joining HMV, be prepared to spend 90% of your time harassing customers to join the HMV loyalty scheme (HMV PURE), in which you have to get customers to pay a £3 fee for a loyalty card in which they can earn points and rewards. If you don't hit a certain target then all h*ll breaks lose and you won't hear the end of it from anyone higher up than you. Regardless of whether you have served 1 customer in an hour on a quiet day, management expects you to hit that target. Even when you hit your target or more, nothing gets said, no praise, no thanks, which is always disappointing, but instead having the manager call down or visit the shop floor to moan at you in front of customers which is unprofessional.
I spent most of my 3 years working for HMV being messed around and confused as my manager would constantly change my contract, including my hours, my job role and more. 1 month I would be working 4 days a week, then the next month I was being told that I was only working for the weekend without any notice.
The last few months of my time working with HMV was the straw that broke the camel's back, being messed around on a daily basis and being lied to, basically being told that they didn't want me to stay on, trying to encourage me to hand in my leaving notice and giving a full-time contract (which I had been asking for, for a year) to a Christmas
  more... temporary member of staff.
30% off with staff discount was good though, and a lot of the time, when the manager wasn't involved the store ran nicely and everyone got along well. People were more likely to reach targets and get more done. It seemed as though as soon as the manager was in, moral dropped drastically and people we're constantly moaning about their job and the days seemed a lot slower.
Management is the key to a good business and hard working staff. 10 out of the 12 people who worked there when I did have now left, and that says a lot about the management.
Pros
30% Staff discount.
Cons
Management, HMV Pure
Fun place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire8 October 2018
I was a Christmas temp and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I met some amazing people, staff and customers. I loved being part of the HMV family. We all got on so well and there was always opportunities to meet up out side of work. Management were excellent. And everybody worked so well as a team. Always willing to help each other out. And you were well taken care of.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks. Chilled environment. Great management. Great team.
Fun workplace with great leaders and staff
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Meadowhall, South Yorkshire2 October 2018
Worked as a seasonal temp over Christmas and got carried on for 3 more months of work. The only issue I had was that they waited until the day my contract ended before telling me if I was being let go or carried on again. This made it difficult to know when and if I was going to be working.
Pros
Good discounts, Decent pay, Great workplace
Cons
No job security
Awful Business
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stevenage19 July 2018
A company which may claim to have the right ideas but is consistant in just buying cheap stock that doesnt sell or is just plain rubbish . Hmv misses out on opportunties to stock quality products but chooses not to . HR department is a joke with everyone gossiping to each other so nothing was ever private and if you genuinley had a problem at work it would take weeks for anytihng to be done about it and when it finally was recognised by HR nothing really ever happend.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
Management, Hr, Stock quality, nobody buys cds anymore
Fun and energetic workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset25 February 2018
A very welcoming and friendly staff. Typical day at work would be serving customers, stock replenishment and orders. The workplace culture was very friendly as well as efficient and diverse. Considering HMV was hit hard by the recession, the management have done well to strengthen the company and build back the retail. The manager of this branch in particular was fantastic and treated everyone with equal respect. The most enjoyable part of the job was building a rapport/expanding my interpersonal skills with customers as well as staff. The hardest part was the initial training of which i became adept the longer i worked there.
Fun work enviroment with friendly staff
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds7 November 2018
I loved my work experience at HMV in leeds. I did not get paid that week however, I still loved it as they have friendly staff and good management I felt welcomed on the first day.
Not what I expected
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcestershire30 May 2018
I was on a 10 hour contract, typically weekend work as that is when it got busy. The shifts were around 5 hours and would go fairly slowly, especially on Sundays. I didn't find myself learning an awful lot. We were expected to upsell these PureHMV cards which act as a loyalty card to collect points. I thought they expected too much from us to be able to sell 10 of these cards every weekend, especially when the customer would have to spend £3 on it, so only worth the money if you're a regular. They were a hard product to sell, and my manager threatened to fail my probation if I didn't sell them.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad Management
Fun and friendly
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness25 January 2018
Typical day at HMV included working tills, restocking, tidying displays and processing orders alongside handling customer enquiries. I learned how to operate a till, process orders, gained product knowledge of a wide range. The workplace culture in this store was great very relaxed if you did your job properly, everyone was happy to help and the age range of colleagues improved the dynamic because it encouraged you to socialise with people you normally wouldn't meet. The hardest part of this job was dealing with customer negative feedback, it can be hard to get products for customers sometimes and it can be frustrating to explain.
Best part of the job was the people i worked with, the discount was also a good perk of the job.
Pros
Discount, Progression
Cons
Long hours on feet
Hmv
Visual Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Westfield22 February 2018
At HMV I learned a various roles to achieve my tasks and goals, I was in charge of the visual department after showing hard work in areas such as team work, using initiative and communcation to work with management.

I helped advise on promotions face of the departments and in line with budgeting for what stock is selling and what is minus in the profit area.

There were some great people there which make it easier to run the store as a full, when all put what they must into their duties makes for a better and efficient company and work place.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Hours and the job type
Just a few nice people in there...
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands25 January 2018
I worked at HMV for 6 six months.After this period and actually doing an excelent job they decided one day just to fire me...simple like that without reasons.When I asked why they just said that I am taking to much sick days...thing is that this actually didn't happen.Anyway we have our rights sincerally,like 3 sick in one year.I didn't had 3 in that year but anyway they fired me..they don't care about people.The only thing that they care about is that you work like crazy and hard.When you re actually sick and almost dead because of that they just get ride of you like nothing is happening like it is normal.
Pros
1h lunch
Cons
Long hours till lunch time
Terrible pay and Pushy management
Former Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cribbs Causeway, Bristol25 July 2018
Terrible Pay, terrible hours, messy scheduling (just giving you more time when it best suits them) and Assistant Manger is never Satisfied! You’re about to become a robot, enjoy!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, Hours, Lazy Training
Fun workplace with the right team
Management (Current Employee) –  Wales15 December 2017
A huge part of the reason I've worked here for so long is that every team I've worked with have been amazing - I've met lifelong friends through this company.

You get back what you put in - work hard and you'll reap the benefits
Pros
good discount, excellent teams, regional manager
Cons
unpredictable hours (especially at peak trading time), expected to work unpaid overtime especially at management level
Productive and fun workplace and enjoyable environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire28 December 2018
Although it was work experience I had to do for my school, HMV were extremely welcoming, their workplace was relaxing and the staff there were really kind and fun to work with. It helped build my confidence in talking to people I never knew for the first time.
Pros
Calm environment, Fun staff and a positive vibe around the whole workplace
Fun but Confusion
General Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newry27 June 2018
The job itself was fun, working with customers and organisation of stock. the management team was very disappointing however and the did not seem to understand how to run a retail environment. The staff were nice.
Pros
Social work enviornment
Cons
confusion and lack of team effort
Great employers
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex22 July 2018
Although brief, my time at HMV was insightful and enjoyable. The team inc management were incredible to work with, very patient and humble, was sad that i didn't get the full time position.
Fun and friendly work environment
Senior Sales Assistant/Tech Expert (Former Employee) –  Yeovil12 September 2018
Great place to work, staff and customers really make the job. Perfect for those into the music, movies, tech or collectables.

Can be a bit slow across outside of Christmas shopping in the small store, but a great job for those looking for their first job/returning to work.
Pros
Great team atmosphere, Long Lunches and great staff room
Cons
Not much progress in small store, and limited hours