HMV Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London13 April 2018
its always busy and you always have a wide range of customers. you are expected to rotate around different jobs in every shift. closing the shop is always the best part.
Fun Place to work
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield9 April 2018
Great place but no job prospects. Happy the company has turned around. Good place to work for younger people and those looking for seasonal work.

sssss
Good atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow7 April 2018
Only worked over christmas period. Was enjoyable though. Only bad moment while working here - public transport and taxis were all cancelled due to extreme weather that year and got told by manager that i had feet and could walk. Took 3 hours to walk to work, and when i arrived the store was closed, manager didnt bother to call anyone back.
Pros
Staff discount
Brilliant place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland6 April 2018
Brilliant place to work, no issues what so ever, great team that help you no matter what and amazing managment that will sort out any problem with ease. Would have stayed if got the chance.
Pros
Music and staff
Rubbish
retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading6 April 2018
horrible work experience , just had to do everything everyone else didn't want to do , like taking off labels and sorting out the hundreds of dvd's they have , the staff are extremely lazy too.
Pros
n/a
Cons
manager sits and does nothing all day
Excellent people, excellent products, but retail is retail
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk4 March 2018
If it wasn't for the people I work with, I would have considered leaving earlier. Progression doesn't really happen unless someone leaves, the pay isn't great and as I said, retail is retail; it's not meant for everyone. Having to sell £3 Pure cards (loyalty cards) is a pain as well.
However, you get to listen to pretty great music most of the time, a very comfortable and relaxed uniform, can slowly take on more responsibilities and it's definitely NOT a bad place to work at all!
Pros
Hour lunches, fair holiday, great music, great products, comfortable uniform, excellent atmosphere
Cons
Poor pay, lack of progression through company, selling £3 loyalty cards (KPIs)
Enjoyable work place
Christmas Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen Aberdeen City28 February 2018
Stock checking and helping customers .
Learning More about the company as i worked there .
I found the management very helpful and easy going .
Very helpful work place and kind staff.
The hardest part of the job was working on the till at busy pace.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working at something i love and thats music.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
small breaks
Fun and energetic workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset25 February 2018
A very welcoming and friendly staff. Typical day at work would be serving customers, stock replenishment and orders. The workplace culture was very friendly as well as efficient and diverse. Considering HMV was hit hard by the recession, the management have done well to strengthen the company and build back the retail. The manager of this branch in particular was fantastic and treated everyone with equal respect. The most enjoyable part of the job was building a rapport/expanding my interpersonal skills with customers as well as staff. The hardest part was the initial training of which i became adept the longer i worked there.
Hmv
Visual Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Westfield22 February 2018
At HMV I learned a various roles to achieve my tasks and goals, I was in charge of the visual department after showing hard work in areas such as team work, using initiative and communcation to work with management.

I helped advise on promotions face of the departments and in line with budgeting for what stock is selling and what is minus in the profit area.

There were some great people there which make it easier to run the store as a full, when all put what they must into their duties makes for a better and efficient company and work place.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Hours and the job type
Good part time job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough21 February 2018
Worked here part time previously and I enjoyed it but heaven forbid you finish on time.
Very rarely would you finish within 5 mins of finishing your shift and the staff just said it was the normal but 10-15mins extra every shift does add up and you didn't get paid for it.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Temp contracts
Enjoyable work experience
Stockroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Uxbridge18 February 2018
A typical day at HMV is constantly learning something new in an environment that is both nurturing and encouraging. I have learnt so much whilst working at HMV that I believe I can apply everywhere in and out of work.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Can be repetitive
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex8 February 2018
very enjoyable working for HMV a typical day for me was justr being on till for four hours then break and another four hours on till ,this wasn't always the case as I didn't always do 8 hour shifts but was common .
Pros
Discount
Excellent
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westfield Stratford City, Greater London31 January 2018
I have worked in two stores in different locations, and can say that both have provided rich working environments. I have felt appreciated and respected, and have enjoyed both the job and the teams I've been with. Some customers are hard work, but then a great customer will come along and make your day, and make the awkward customers more tolerable. Generous discounts, although this does impact the payslip most months.
Pros
Great discounts, great teams and working environments.
Cons
can have awkward customers, occasional miscommunication between head office management and in store management, particularly with stock.
Friendly and welcoming enviroment
Stockroom Assistant/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southport30 January 2018
Other employees were incredibly friendly and lovely to be around, building was lovely and clean and comfortable uniform was provided. Loved working there.
Really enjoyed it
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester27 January 2018
I was a christmas temp at HMV, and I was really hoping to be taken on permanently. The job is relatively easy, the management are kind, and the staff were all really easy to get on with. No job in retail is a walk in the park, but whenever anything happens it was always easy to have a laugh about it afterwards. Best job I've had.
Fun and friendly
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness25 January 2018
Typical day at HMV included working tills, restocking, tidying displays and processing orders alongside handling customer enquiries. I learned how to operate a till, process orders, gained product knowledge of a wide range. The workplace culture in this store was great very relaxed if you did your job properly, everyone was happy to help and the age range of colleagues improved the dynamic because it encouraged you to socialise with people you normally wouldn't meet. The hardest part of this job was dealing with customer negative feedback, it can be hard to get products for customers sometimes and it can be frustrating to explain.
Best part of the job was the people i worked with, the discount was also a good perk of the job.
Pros
Discount, Progression
Cons
Long hours on feet
Just a few nice people in there...
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands25 January 2018
I worked at HMV for 6 six months.After this period and actually doing an excelent job they decided one day just to fire me...simple like that without reasons.When I asked why they just said that I am taking to much sick days...thing is that this actually didn't happen.Anyway we have our rights sincerally,like 3 sick in one year.I didn't had 3 in that year but anyway they fired me..they don't care about people.The only thing that they care about is that you work like crazy and hard.When you re actually sick and almost dead because of that they just get ride of you like nothing is happening like it is normal.
Pros
1h lunch
Cons
Long hours till lunch time
Fantastic
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire18 January 2018
Was only there as a seasonal temp, but would loved to have stayed longer. Awesome colleagues and management, great training and good pay. Would go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Productive and a Chilled Environment.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire16 January 2018
You become one of the team in an instant. Everyone's friendly to work with and help is always given if required. You can have a laugh about anything and overall its a very chilled environment to work.
Pros
Long Lunch
great
Customer (Former Employee) –  Tamworth16 January 2018
HMV was a great company to work for, seeing all the new releases and having pride of seeing people walk in and purchase something they have being waiting for.

the team were fantastic aswell as management
Pros
wages and discount
Cons
staffing levels and progression