HMV Employee Reviews

Sales assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester25 November 2018
I would work in the store helping customers with returns and complaints as well as working at the check out. I would help with putting out stock as well
Loved it!
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire12 November 2018
I completed work experience at HMV for 2 weeks and absolutely loved it! The staff were so friendly and welcoming and it was fun to listen to music all day and to stack shelves.
Fun work enviroment with friendly staff
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds7 November 2018
I loved my work experience at HMV in leeds. I did not get paid that week however, I still loved it as they have friendly staff and good management I felt welcomed on the first day.
Good benefits but very poor management.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidstone6 November 2018
When I first started my job at HMV I was very excited due to me being such a fan of media, film and music, but after a couple years of working there I discovered that it's not the job I once thought it might be.
If you're looking at joining HMV, be prepared to spend 90% of your time harassing customers to join the HMV loyalty scheme (HMV PURE), in which you have to get customers to pay a £3 fee for a loyalty card in which they can earn points and rewards. If you don't hit a certain target then all h*ll breaks lose and you won't hear the end of it from anyone higher up than you. Regardless of whether you have served 1 customer in an hour on a quiet day, management expects you to hit that target. Even when you hit your target or more, nothing gets said, no praise, no thanks, which is always disappointing, but instead having the manager call down or visit the shop floor to moan at you in front of customers which is unprofessional.
I spent most of my 3 years working for HMV being messed around and confused as my manager would constantly change my contract, including my hours, my job role and more. 1 month I would be working 4 days a week, then the next month I was being told that I was only working for the weekend without any notice.
The last few months of my time working with HMV was the straw that broke the camel's back, being messed around on a daily basis and being lied to, basically being told that they didn't want me to stay on, trying to encourage me to hand in my leaving notice and giving a full-time contract (which I had been asking for, for a year) to a Christmas
  more... temporary member of staff.
30% off with staff discount was good though, and a lot of the time, when the manager wasn't involved the store ran nicely and everyone got along well. People were more likely to reach targets and get more done. It seemed as though as soon as the manager was in, moral dropped drastically and people we're constantly moaning about their job and the days seemed a lot slower.
Management is the key to a good business and hard working staff. 10 out of the 12 people who worked there when I did have now left, and that says a lot about the management.
Pros
30% Staff discount.
Cons
Management, HMV Pure
As below
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham21 October 2018
Working for HMV was properly one of the jobs i have worked in i learned a lot from the teams i worked with and working up from the bottom to the right hand man of my manger. I also supervised stom room and delivered and Health and safety of staff and customers. I also worked as a customer service adviser at busy time.
Pros
Regular days off
The worst.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough19 October 2018
HMV Peterborough is one of the worst places you could ever work.

The staff are all two faced, the management run on favourites, the wage is terrible and you never get recognised for any of the work you do.

There are absolutely NO promotion prospects whatsoever.

Luckily one of the managers has recently moved to the Kettering branch, but his replacement is even worse.

Do not waste your time and effort on this failing company.
Hard work that pays off
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth14 October 2018
they're often understaffed so there is a lot of work to be done but once it's done it's very rewarding. Keeps you busy. The initiation into the team is easy going and never intimidating.
Great workplace environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset9 October 2018
Strong focus on teamwork and the workplace environment.
Excellent management team.
Reasonable worksheet patterns and good staff discount benefits as well as a decent salary, minimum wage.
Fun place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire8 October 2018
I was a Christmas temp and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I met some amazing people, staff and customers. I loved being part of the HMV family. We all got on so well and there was always opportunities to meet up out side of work. Management were excellent. And everybody worked so well as a team. Always willing to help each other out. And you were well taken care of.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks. Chilled environment. Great management. Great team.
Amazing
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon7 October 2018
I loved working at HMV. It was different every day and it definitely wasn't the easiest. I had a great manager, however the rest of the employees didn't get along with him. This made it difficult when leaving and incentives were involved.
Really positive workspace
Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex7 October 2018
The staff members were really enthusiastic and helpful regarding to work, the workload was large but manageable and it was an overall pleasant work experience.
Fun workplace with great leaders and staff
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Meadowhall, South Yorkshire2 October 2018
Worked as a seasonal temp over Christmas and got carried on for 3 more months of work. The only issue I had was that they waited until the day my contract ended before telling me if I was being let go or carried on again. This made it difficult to know when and if I was going to be working.
Pros
Good discounts, Decent pay, Great workplace
Cons
No job security
Fun and friendly work environment
Senior Sales Assistant/Tech Expert (Former Employee) –  Yeovil12 September 2018
Great place to work, staff and customers really make the job. Perfect for those into the music, movies, tech or collectables.

Can be a bit slow across outside of Christmas shopping in the small store, but a great job for those looking for their first job/returning to work.
Pros
Great team atmosphere, Long Lunches and great staff room
Cons
Not much progress in small store, and limited hours
School work experience
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire10 September 2018
Great place for people to start as something small, really nice staff and really nice helpful manager. Would definitely go back there for a full or part time job!
Pros
Hour break, no competition
Great place
Treasury Specialist (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands5 September 2018
Very good place to work. No complaints and I would recommend it to anyone. Good working conditions and great people to work for. The work was good and varied.
till worker
Christmas temp job (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester24 August 2018
decent temp job, loved the staff and some of the customers were very paitent as it was only a month i worked there so i had to learn fast. would work there again
Productive, Fun and Educational
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Bradford19 August 2018
From my personal experience at HMV it has been both productive and enlightening in both understanding retail (as a first job) and how the business side of media and entertainment works. Work life is different each days as you meet new people and learn new things from both colleagues and customers alike within Film, Tv and Music.

I have become more confident and relaxed with crowds of people and being able to engage in conversations with both colleagues and customers alike and having different opinions and interests creates interesting points of conversations on different topics within media and entertainment. I know what is expected of me each day, what my goals are and what i can do to improve within my area of work.

I personally run a section and manage it within my store, which is the E.R.M (Entertainment Related Merchandise). Within this i work with t shirts, toys, gifts, collectibles, mugs and glasses for example and have guidelines to follow and keep up to date with, as well as putting my own spin and way of organisation into them from time to time.

The store is managed and balanced as you can expect from a manager, assistant manager and supervisor, all of which play crucial roles in making each day run smoothly from allocating jobs to each member of staff, to implementing changes in store sent from higher up in the company and keeping morale up and motivation train running.

The job has its hard times, but only come the busiest times of the year such as Christmas where as any one who has worked in retail will tell you is where its all hands on deck and the
  more... entire store working like clockwork from the morning till finish.

The most enjoyable parts of the job are meeting new people each day and having conversations both in general and educationally, also with colleagues which the mix of personalities that come together in our store makes each day that much more fun.

Another positive is the sense of pride and accomplishment when you help a customer, in general and being thanked for the service, but more so when you take the time to get to know the customer or even are on a similar wave length from talking to them and being able to highlight and find a specific item, be that in store or on the online website as it feels almost personal and that much pleasant and fun.

For any person that follows be that as a die hard fan within film, music or tv or just casual watches and listens,working at HMV is a fun and engaging job with the opportunity to work with others with similar interests and knowledge within areas of the media and entertainment industry and expect each day to be different than the last.
Pros
Working with amazing and interesting people, Learning and sharing knowledge with customers and colleagues alike in Film, TV and Music
Local Managers tried their best.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro16 August 2018
People tried their best, but other than a 30% staff discount, little is offered in reward and pay is poor, and you are unlikely to get the offer of full or even near to full-time hours.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Its a hectic retail enviroment with no chance of progression
His Masters Voice
Sales/Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough8 August 2018
As a company they can be quite strict. With a lot of paperwork involved, at times. Personally I loved working in that environment, with Entertainment Products. I think the company has changed a lot since I worked for them. So I'm not sure what they are like to work for these days.
Pros
Getting to listen to new Music releases early, . They pay over NLW
Cons
Temporary Contract
Fun and inclusive company to work for
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire26 July 2018
As an LPO my job was a multifaceted one. I was part security professional, part customer service, part stock controller and part health and safety officer. I had to learn to juggle a lot of different roles in one day and how to prioritise them.
The culture in the shop and company is excellent, the best I've experienced. They expect you to work hard and the work is fast paced, but there was a great team atmosphere.
The hardest aspect of the LPO roll is the stock control aspect. You have to know the in house systems well, be able to communicate problems to suppliers, and maintain the in store database.
Pros
Staff discount is very good