HMV Employee Reviews

United Kingdom604 reviews
Many of the people I worked with at HMV were lovely people to talk to and extremely helpful in helping you learn the ropes. If you like film/music this is a great place for you, as you're encouraged to talk to the customers about what they're buying and this would often lead to really interesting conversations. Aside from serving, many of the duties at HMV were pretty easy which fits in with the relaxed work setting.

The downside to working there was that I ended up spending loads on records! If you are an impulse buyer I'm not sure if this is the best place to work because I ended up buying a lot of stuff I didn't need. The other downside is that I was required to give a 4 weeks notice having not even worked 6 months at the job, which was frustrating as for me the job was interfering with my A Levels and I wanted to leave as soon as possible to focus on them.
The people who work there are the most welcoming people i’ve ever met, everyone is funny, kind and unique in their own way. The work it’s self is laid back and rather enjoyable. I got to work doing what i love, talking about music and films and listening to music that i loves too. 10/10 experience, would love to go back
Cons
Egotistical racist morons, hateful bullying culture. Not interested in staff moral what so ever. The sooner this company goes into administration the better
Cons
My day consisted of starting at 6-7am and finishing at 17.30 due to excessive workload vs staff headcount. The communication from senior management was poor to non existent and was delivered in a very arrogant way.
If your into music games dvd and tech a great place to work great team bonding and always fast paced look after there staff and there wellbeing would recommend if your in retail to try out working in a shop
Standard retail work, co workers were great. Management we’re pretty terrible. They have a good discount scheme. I’d recommend this job to students but definitely not for anyone looking for full-time.
HMV staff are very friendly and help you succeed to the best of your ability and mentor you until you're ready to work alone. Never a dull moment and easy work.
Sales assistant for two weeks for work experience. I assisted to customers needs to complete their purchases with full satisfaction. Also had stockroom tasks and tidying up and the end of the day. Learned how to manage my time efficiently during the busy hours of the day to ensure all work gets done with maximum effort. Overall, amazing staff and environment to be around.
Pros
breaks and the people I had worked with
Cons
You'll enjoy it. Great people in general. Relaxed dress code obviously. Pay as per retail in general. Flexible working & remote access when working offsite.
Stuff, cleaning, did delivery's, was a super fun, nice people, great environment, nice team, had plenty of work to do and kept me busy, overall great place to be
A fun and lively place to work but no job security. It's a shame because it was once a thriving company but online music sales etc are the future sadly.
It was a good place to work, but unfortunately loads of people don't do their jobs properly and others have to do it for them.
Other people will keep on telling you how to do the same job all over again because they only see you in that department, even to you're the one correcting it and reporting it to the managers.

Some of the staff would be not that 100% customer orientated, do a fast job yet no one is seeing them.

There are some reasons why only british people work in here, unfortunately even with loads of customer service/retail experience you won't stay long with them unless you know how to be friends with the managers, or how to get promotions.

Generally speaking really nice people, but managers would act like some kids, swearing at staff, poking them etc. Going over the board with jokes and hence even the staff would be rude with each other "as a joke" not very professional.

Payment it's bad, you're only getting the minimum income so even you work 40 h you'll barely get 1100 £
The most fun I ever had working as a temp.Great staff. Fun Atmos. Lots of customers. The christmas season whizzed past for me. Would return in a heatbeat.
I only worked there during the Christmas period but enjoyed it as I got to talk about films and music all day. Management was fine aswell no problems there. was a very relaxed environment.
Without doubt the best place I have ever worked. Fantastic people and interesting and challenging work. Traveled to many locations throughout the country with work and enjoyed many free tickets and evenings out to events.
HMV - Livingston was a fantastic place to work over the short period of time I was there. Members of staff are so warming and welcoming. I was not afraid to ask any questions if I was stuck or struggling. If you enjoy film, music or gaming I would highly recommend HMV. Members of staff are realistic, caring and a great laugh. 5 stars!!
The staff and the entire culture surrounding HMV was why I was drawn towards working at HMV. I was not disappointed at all. In fact it turned out that I enjoyed my time there even more than i expected.
Relaxed working environment, easy enough interview.

"What's your favourite film/tv/game"

"Which department do you think you'd work in the best"

Those types of questions.

They do mention it's an informal interview when you go in so not to worry about going in usual interview attire but, still do it.

Bit of a late start for seasonal work but worth the wait.
Hmv is excellent places .staff our friendly great environment to work ,its like a family .loved ever minute of my time at hmv .learned lots about music,stock taking,manager were always on hand to help with any problems
The company is very discriminative and if your not part of a social group you are outcasted which effects your work personal life, management favourite ties certain people and if your not part of it then you are subjected to bullying
I loved this job and was sad to leave but could not refuse the offer of manager elsewhere. It's a great job with great people. if your willing to work you will climb the ladder there i started off as xmas temp worked up to a senior sales and went on to interveiw staff open and close store, run shop in peak seasonal periods, and learn to become a manager through a great mentor. If you get the chance to work there take it