HMV Employee Reviews

Productive, safe fun work place
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Norwich6 May 2019
Everything was great working at HMV, everyone was treated with respect and equality from the managers to the sales assistants. The HMV employers treated everyone like family and helped everyone to the best ability. I really advise anyone who's loves entertainment and appreciates good quality goods, respect & equality to apply to HMV.
Pros
Promotions when a certain amount of hmv loyalty cards are sold per week.
Cons
Being the only store in Norwich, so if stock is low or something is not in store which was shown online, we were unable to call another store.
Fun with plenty of hours
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire30 April 2019
I worked temporarily over Christmas, stocking shelves overnight. Working 3 nights a week, I worked full-time which freed me up to also enjoy the Christmas period. I worked as part of a large team but still felt valued and thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
Pros
33% Shop Discount
Relaxed Working Environment and Friendly Staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ayr14 March 2019
All staff were extremely friendly, and very welcoming to me as a new staff member. On a typical work day, I would spend most of my time either on the tills, or stocking shelves and helping customers. While management made it known that they would take no nonsense from staff, they were very relaxed and friendly. Due to the nature of the store, it was a fun place to work, and customers were generally very friendly.

The hardest part of the job was when we discovered the company was in administration and customers constantly demanded information on the situation, even though we didn't know anything that was going on. It was also tough being unable to perform refunds straight after Christmas.
Pros
being able to choose the music in the store, fun working environment, friendly colleagues
Cons
minimum wage
downbeat
Operations / Fulfillment Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 March 2019
very downbeat place to work, nothing was ever good enough.

goalposts always changing which is not always a bad thing but never given more staff to complete tasks if dramatically moved
Productive and fun workplace.
Seasonal Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Sunderland12 March 2019
HMV is a great first place and permanent place to work filled with friendly staff,reasonable hours and pay. The environment was relaxed and there were multiple facilities for staff including a break room.
Crew Expendable.
Sales Assistant or Associate? HMV couldnt decide (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Queensgate Centre25 February 2019
I was lucky enough to working the best store in the company (Peterborough, Queensgate), with lots of great people and some great managers too over the years.
Our last regional manager was a top bloke also but above him the company was rotten to the core.
Incompetence and ignorance was rife. People at the top treat staff with contempt and disregard for their well being.
Working in unacceptable cold conditions during winter with head office controlling the air-con centrally.
Working in the dark through non-trading hours.
HR only there to serve the interest of the company and to back up policies, no support or protection for staff and their rights.
HMV always put customers first ahead of staff. No zero-tolerance here, customers could speak to and treat staff how they liked and we had to accept it. I witnessed staff being verbally abused, threatened, groped & touched inappropriately on a regular basis over the years (dont not smile, the customer might complain!)and yet they came back and re-offended time and time again.
Not ever bothered about shoplifters stealing as long as staff were searched multiple times a day.
At HMV you are only a payroll number, nothing more.
Many left, no matter what they did they did better, some remain bitter and twisted by the pain and hurt caused by working for HMV.

But at my store, the staff (including management) were all like family (we didnt always get along but there was love), we gossiped, bitched, argued and laughed. We did work really well together and the banter was legendary! A no better group of degenerates could I have wished
  more... to have spent my time amongst! Our store was the Rainbow in the miserable cloud of working for HMV.
My manager cared about her staff and we looked out for each other.
Like all good things it ended, our store closed courtesy of the shopping centre and the 14 of us and our cleaner were all cast aside like the obsolete points card we were pressured to force onto people.
Some of our Team went on to run their own stores and create "mini-Peterborough HMVs" and I wish them all the best.

If the company is to remain it needs a clear out at the top. Too many people stuck in their ways trying to do the same things that worked 10 years ago but not anymore. They dont listen to staff and despite getting feedback from customers, they ignore it. Some people are at least part responsible for both administrations yet still there. For as long as they are there, I will be ready to celebrate the final dimise of hmv when it comes (2021/22).
Pros
Discount. My Team but only my team, the Peterborough Team.
Cons
Pay & Bonuses, targets, career progression, workload
hate this place
dogsbody (Current Employee) –  Hanley, Staffordshire20 February 2019
my typical day consists of working on the tills, stock checking, and working the delivery. no room for progression, floor manager is useless. hardest part of the job is keeping your mouth shut after floor manager treats you like dirt. some customers are ok.
Pros
breaks
Cons
floor manager
Okay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brierley Hill16 February 2019
Really enjoyed working with the team and helping customers, senior management made life for everyone difficult and left bitter taste in mouth after leaving.
Fun place to work. Has some of the most passionate people I've ever met regarding Film & Music!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff14 February 2019
> Day to day jobs include customer service, replenishing stock, merchandising displays and choosing amazing music to play on the playlist
> I learnt so much about music & film from all the staff I worked with over the years. Spent my informative years there and it has 100% shaped me into the person I am today, through the store and social experiences.
> Worked with some amazing managers who became mentors and really gave me opportunities to excel.
> HMV is truly at heart a family business and I have made life long friends there. To share such strong passions in common with the people you work with is quite rare. There were times where it really hasn't felt like work at all. Same goes with the customers, you get to have amazing conversations with people who are just as crazy about bands & films as you are.
> Workload & life balance as a manager could be better but comes with the territory. There have been many long days/ weekends but as hard as its been I always loved the job.
Pros
Discount, get to listen to music all day, every day and the people you get to work with are amazing.
Cons
Long days in management, workload can be inconsistent across the year, this leaves you over worked at times when resource is already tight.
Best Job i ever had.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hereford13 February 2019
Recently made redundant. Enjoyed working with a small team. Best manager I ever had, best people to work with. Had fun everyday even doing menial tasks, got to listen to music everyday and i could wear my skinny jeans so i was comfortable. enjoying running around the store( my choice to run) for customers. LOVED merchandising areas of store, selling vinyl players and headphones. Thoroughly enjoyed up-selling and beating targets.
Pros
30% staff discount, staff, listening to new music
Cons
nothing!!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ayr13 February 2019
Fantastic retailer to work for. Great teams and a workplace with a great atmosphere. Very enjoyable place to work. Best thing - the atmosphere & music. Worst thing - the uncertainty surrounding retail jobs.
Pros
Staff Discount scheme is great.
Really fun place to work but in a dying sector
RETAIL ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire8 February 2019
A really fun place to work if you are into the product but with the way things are going job security is a problem. Also staff levels have been cut so there is not much coinsistency with shifts meaning and home plans are difficult to arrange.
Poor
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London5 February 2019
Like anyone who grew up in the 80's, working in a record store was the holy grail. Unfortunately, HMV had become hubristic, leading to low morale, and high staff turnover.
fun workplace, friendly employees
Storeroom assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundee28 January 2019
Interesting experience, some work colleagues weren’t too friendly towards me but the majority of them were very kind and talkative. Didn’t have to deal with customers but heard some horror stories of what my colleagues had to deal with.
Pros
long lunch and decent pay
Cons
constantly on your feet
A fun and amazing team to work with, passionate but unfortunately in administration for the second time, needs a clear direction.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brierley Hill17 January 2019
I would normally give a great recommendation for HMV but as is widely known, the company has found itself in administration for a second time. Job security is at an obvious all time low, with store closures very likely, a very poor christmas trade has hit the company hard, without any finances able to reliably fall back on and no clear direction or attempt at a declining market, with like for like sales falling 30% each year in the visual market. I really hope as many stores can be saved and an innovative CEO with a clear direction comes in and is able to turn the trend around.
Pros
Great store discount, Very passionate team members with varied interests.
Cons
Minimal opportunity for advancement now, Job security.
temporary job
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham10 January 2019
Only work here for a Christmas time, basic job with minimum wage. it was very long shifts , more that 12 hours but it was four day in and four off .
Productive and fun workplace and enjoyable environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire28 December 2018
Although it was work experience I had to do for my school, HMV were extremely welcoming, their workplace was relaxing and the staff there were really kind and fun to work with. It helped build my confidence in talking to people I never knew for the first time.
Pros
Calm environment, Fun staff and a positive vibe around the whole workplace
Temp
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Livingston, UK18 December 2018
Only did work experience but very nice helpful and gave a good start to working in the retail industry.
Even gave away a goodbye present for helping for the week.
it was alright
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire1 December 2018
it was a valuable learning experience that i spent at hmv which has set my expectations on what working in a retail store would be like.
the workers there were kind
Sales assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester25 November 2018
I would work in the store helping customers with returns and complaints as well as working at the check out. I would help with putting out stock as well