HMRC Employee Reviews

Very Old school- no work life balance for contractors
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex18 October 2018
I worked there for 6 months as a contractor....

1. First of all permanent employees think that contractors earn more....which is not true in this case as it's under IR35. Contractors land up paying 50% tax no sick/Annual leaves plus no expenses can be claimed moreover there is no job security as for contractors there's either Zero notice or 1 week notice.
2. Typical time to travel is 4 hrs every day...there is no flexibility to work from home...esp if you are working in the QA space
3. Timekeeping- you are expected to login when you arrive at work what time you start and finish your lunch and what time you leave.
4. No appreciation for work done....basically no motivation to work there
5. People usually tend to leave after experiencing the culture...worst public sector worked till date
Pros
Cons
as mentioned in the comments
Changeable
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire9 October 2018
My duties can change daily from answering tax enquiries from customer correspondence or from phone calls. I've learned to have confidence in myself and that my colleagues are grateful for my assistance. I have not managed a team but I do work well in a team. The workplace has a very diverse culture but we all work well together to provide an excellent customer service. The hardest part of my job is when a customer does not understand what I am saying during a phone call and trying to find other ways of explaining so that the customer understands. The most enjoyable part of my job is the varied work. No two cases are the same.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
when we are on telephony all the time
A friendly and productive workplace.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire9 October 2018
Usually an early start, but we were flexible. Achieved an NVQ in Detection (Anti-Smuggling). A small team, our manager was first-rate. We were seldom all in the office together, so the workplace culture was very quiet on the rare occasions we were. The hardest part of my job was the daily round commute of 70 miles, whatever the weather. The most enjoyable was getting a detection.
Pros
Meals on expenses.
Cons
Travel once at work.
different
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Preston4 October 2018
fast paced, a lot of office politics, got to be able to keep a cool and calm presence. Ability to talk and deal with a variety of customers, good admin skills. ability to manage workload appropriately.
good place to work but too much micro management
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISER (Current Employee) –  Bradford1 October 2018
working at HMRC is okay most of the times but due to micro management its lacking in wanting to set a career path in HMRC. intimidation is provoked by management and constant breathing over shoulders. the staff are friendly but the management need to relax
Pros
good staff
Cons
bad management
tedious work pressurised environment poorly paid
Call Centre Operator (Current Employee) –  multiple locations30 September 2018
1. The work is tedious monotonous and its unappreciated by the customers. You will be swore at and abused on a daily basis.
2. The buildings in Peterlee Stockton Middleborough and Washington will be closed in 2020 and you will be expected to get yourself (at your expense) to Longbenton. No onsite parking regardless of who you are.
3.The pay has been been frozen since 2012 with no sign of it increasing. The onsite shops & vending machines charging 40% on items sold.
4. The management is constantly chasing productivity increases and targets rise without consultation or explanation. Disciplinaries given for poor performance are common.
5, Team leaders recruited externally are clueless heavy handed and they treat genuine sickness (cancer, mental health ) very harshly.
6. The working environment is run down with often grubby desks keyboards. With the limited budgets supplies run low resulting in old unreliable desktop PC's that won't work and printers constantly offline or without toner / paper sitting waiting for engineers to turnup to repair them for weeks at a time.
7.Constant pressure to improve without adequate time to do all the extra activities they demand.
8. Bullying is a problem that's getting worse as increased work loads and not enough Civil servants to do the work causes strife.
9. Poor pensions and workers being denied flexible working rights brought into law 2014.
10. Bicycles stolen onsite cars damaged in car parks without any interference from security who will not intervene.
11. Dirty toilets with urine on bathroom floors and no towels to dry your
  more... hands.  less
Pros
Cons
low pay limited flexible working clueless management
If you have too
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bathgate30 September 2018
Only work for HMRC if you are willing to LIE to people and give bad advice to them all the time. If you value Customer Service and giving Good Customer Service all the time, then don't work here.
Pros
Job Work/Life Balance, Salary/Benefits, Job Security
Cons
Management, Job Culture, Advancement
Varied and interesting work
Estates Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 September 2018
Good department to work do with a wide variety of jobs available. My working day would consist of dealing with enquiries regarding office estate accommodation and dealing with the HMRC PFI Facility providers. This would include checking in the progress of accommodation jobs which has been phoned in by office staff.
A good Employee regarding life work balance.
Pros
Flexitime
Cons
Dealing with upset staff
Supportive and social staff
Telephone Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cornwall23 September 2018
Excellent place to have worked, it was only through pressure from my partner & the changeover to UC that I left, I would have stayed if circumstance allowed!
Pros
Most things!
Cons
Short lived, having changed to UC under DWP.
Good 1st job
Revenue Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire23 September 2018
I worked as a revenue assistant after leaving college.Took some getting into but I thoroughly enjoyed it once I got familiar with how things worked.Made some lovely friends here.We used to have an awesome christmas party and panto! Sadly Rotherham tax office is no longer standing.
Pros
Flexible working, pension scheme, great christmas party
Sidlaw House
Quality Support Coach (Former Employee) –  Dundee19 September 2018
Previously a good employer, now that all small locations are being closed anyone outside of large cities is now surplus and treated this way. Colleagues are friendly and happy to help.
Pros
Leave, felxible working
Cons
long hours, poor pay
No day was the same, new ways of working was frequent.
Revenue Executive (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey19 September 2018
I enjoyed my researching cases for enquiries using various databases. I enjoyed analysing the intelligence & using my judgement to ascertain compliance. I liked the Flexible Working Hours & participating in five a side football . Atypical day for me would be using our vast data to research an enquiry cae, using third party information. We were empowered to do our work so management had little input aside from reporting. The workplace culture was relaxed albeit recent times has seen performance driven contracts.As a manager I had to attend validation meetings to support my staff's self appraisal which could prove difficult in a competitive environment.
Pros
Flexi Time
Cons
Salary
Disappointing, frustrating, temperate
Compliance support officer (Current Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent18 September 2018
Used to be considered a good job and good employer but has gone streamlined whic means poor customer service and poor employee treatment. The departments priorities have been completely lost due to poor management at top level.
Pros
Flexi hours
Cons
Poor pay and office clodures
Excellent working environment
Customer Consultant (Former Employee) –  cardiff14 September 2018
HMRC has a excellent working environment and would recommend working for them to anyone. Staff are friendly and helpful and will always be at hand to support a colleague.
productive and fun workplace
Customer services advisor for incoming tax queries (Former Employee) –  Workington, Cumbria11 September 2018
My typical day included answering complex tax queries by incoming calls. I also held other roles in this employment. this included being a digital ambassador for the new online tax accounts. charities organiser arranging fund raising days for local charities.
Pros
friendly atmosphere
Cons
the office closed
Stuck well in the past
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear9 September 2018
Micro managed, an unethical work culture, no one supports one another and culture is 'watch your back'. So draconian and what you do makes very little difference. Money is wasted on a level that's indescribable. Don't change jobs to work here as they steal a good work ethic from anyone.
Pros
Flexi only
Cons
No pay rise and awful culture
Can't remember as worked there a long time ago
Employee (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear3 September 2018
Can't remember much about working here, I was at the bottom end of the scale. Job was OK however dull, hence I left. Flexi time was a good aspect of the job, if like me you didn't mind staying back longer from time to time you could build up a decent amount of time in lieu and take a day off.
Work Experience
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Brimingham3 September 2018
It was a fun workplace, where i learnt key team working skills. I also learnt how the tax system works and the benefits of the tax system. i was introduced to various departments within HMRC where I learnt how they worked.
An opportunity within the real world
User Researcher at HMRC (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear28 August 2018
Working at HMRC as a user researcher gave me the opportunity to work on services used by millions of people. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and hope to be going back soon.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
government constraints within working
Hmrc
Debt Collection (Former Employee) –  Staffordshire25 August 2018
Temporary contract. Working to KPI's. Soon to be closing and relocating in 2019. Flexible hours, office work. Inbound call centre work, not high volume.