HMRC Employee Reviews

Productive and Interesting
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 December 2018
-A large department with a variety of roles.
-Everyones role is valued and are all made important
-The department is hard working and comitted
-There are a lot odf social events which means a good workplace culture.
Pros
Social events
a start
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 December 2018
not the best place to work, you would think working for the government would have perks but to be honest you are better off working for a private sector
Pros
apprenticeships
Cons
1, 30min break a day
Dead end job
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, UK1 December 2018
This was so long ago i cant remember but made friends and had fun whilst working in a call centre
I escaped
What more do you want to know?
Anything?
Sorry
Pros
Mates
Cons
Everything else
Productive, Hands full workplace
case assessor (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire25 November 2018
I only worked here for a week due to work experience week being assigned to all students in Year 10. However, I learned quite a lot, so if I were to work there for a long period, I imagine I'd never get bored in that environment as there were so many different sections of work.
Typical work day
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Peterlee25 November 2018
the typical work day could have you being moved from one area of calls to another area of calls without warning. this can be frustrating and the guidance changes too much
Pros
You can build additional time by working flexi build
Cons
If you face does not fit then you can be singled out
PMO Manager (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth11 November 2018
Many departments, that if you are prepared to move will give you an extensive work experience in a single government department. Austerity has impacted on pay progression, but opportunities for promotion are good.
Pros
Flexible working, variety of roles.
Cons
Number of locations is deminishing.
Colleagues make the place good
Personal Tax Officer tax credits (Former Employee) –  Bathgate, West Lothian8 November 2018
Each day involves dealing with customers from all walks of life, many are frustrated and angry by the time they speak with you on the phone. You need to have thick skin and empathy and an ability to understand complex issues. Management, well, if you are extemely lucky you get a great manager and in eight years I only had two great managers, the rest, of which I had many they are not so good a... lickers and higher management do not have a clue and do not care about the advisers.
If you are looking for a job where there is a high likelihood of being bullied by management AND higher management, and where there is little sympathy or empathy when you are genuinely ill then this place of work is for you. Workplace culture is us and them, the hardest part of the job is dealing with your so called superiors the best part is the feeling of reward you get when you know you have helped the customers.
Pros
Not many
Cons
High stress levels
Progressive Employer
Vat HO Inspector (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland1 November 2018
HMRC are a large UK Civil Service employer who have been forced to be continuously progressive through stringent staff cuts and the implementation of digital working practices. I worked there for 32 years starting as a filing clerk and finishing as a VAT Inspector. I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for them and would still be there but for the reduction in HMRC premises in Scotland (to only two offices). This caused the closure of the local office in Inverness.
Pros
Pay, flexitime, pension
Cons
to much chsnge in short period of time
Old fashioned, outdated bigoted!
HIGHER OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Peterborough City Centre, Cambridgeshire & London31 October 2018
Great at getting awards and introducing diversity and improvement schemes, rarely apply them to day-to-day work.

Spent 15 years with HMRC working up to middle management, makes no difference what grade you are the old boys network will prevail no matter how high up you go.

I thought diversity work with the Executive Committee would carry some weight, not a chance!
Pros
Flexi working-superb working hours
Cons
Pay & bigoted views towards people who don't keep quiet about concerns!
High work load, under staffed
Assistant Officer (Former Employee) –  UK26 October 2018
Very high pressure and unrealistic deadlines. Very little appreciation for those at the bottom end of the pay grade. No longer any job security within the civil service.
very good
CLEANING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Cardiff26 October 2018
very good place to work every body got alon with each orther
sort cove out
make sure work was up to standard
order stock
timesheets
it was not to bad to work for the company
Cons
Shambles. Waist of tax payers money
Professional Tax Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Cardiff25 October 2018
Awful place to work with no structure or proper instruction. I have worked there for over a year and a half with barely anything to do. Avoid at all cost!
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Makes you ill
Overall a nice place to work
HMRC officer (Current Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London24 October 2018
Work life balance is great and so is the work culture.
I have learnt a lot of transferable skills.
Management can be good, not great.
The hardest part of the job is agreeing with the customers yet having to defend an unfair system.
Pros
flexi-time, working from home
Cons
Management needs to improve and lack of diversity
Very Old school- no work life balance for contractors
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex18 October 2018
I worked there for 6 months as a contractor....

1. First of all permanent employees think that contractors earn more....which is not true in this case as it's under IR35. Contractors land up paying 50% tax no sick/Annual leaves plus no expenses can be claimed moreover there is no job security as for contractors there's either Zero notice or 1 week notice.
2. Typical time to travel is 4 hrs every day...there is no flexibility to work from home...esp if you are working in the QA space
3. Timekeeping- you are expected to login when you arrive at work what time you start and finish your lunch and what time you leave.
4. No appreciation for work done....basically no motivation to work there
5. People usually tend to leave after experiencing the culture...worst public sector worked till date
Pros
Cons
as mentioned in the comments
Great team building
Personal Tax Adviser - Contact Centre (Current Employee) –  East Kilbride16 October 2018
Employer allows for great team building and customer service experience. Good working conditions to accomodate required working patters when needed. Overall good
Changeable
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire9 October 2018
My duties can change daily from answering tax enquiries from customer correspondence or from phone calls. I've learned to have confidence in myself and that my colleagues are grateful for my assistance. I have not managed a team but I do work well in a team. The workplace has a very diverse culture but we all work well together to provide an excellent customer service. The hardest part of my job is when a customer does not understand what I am saying during a phone call and trying to find other ways of explaining so that the customer understands. The most enjoyable part of my job is the varied work. No two cases are the same.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
when we are on telephony all the time
A friendly and productive workplace.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire9 October 2018
Usually an early start, but we were flexible. Achieved an NVQ in Detection (Anti-Smuggling). A small team, our manager was first-rate. We were seldom all in the office together, so the workplace culture was very quiet on the rare occasions we were. The hardest part of my job was the daily round commute of 70 miles, whatever the weather. The most enjoyable was getting a detection.
Pros
Meals on expenses.
Cons
Travel once at work.
different
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Preston4 October 2018
fast paced, a lot of office politics, got to be able to keep a cool and calm presence. Ability to talk and deal with a variety of customers, good admin skills. ability to manage workload appropriately.
good place to work but too much micro management
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISER (Current Employee) –  Bradford1 October 2018
working at HMRC is okay most of the times but due to micro management its lacking in wanting to set a career path in HMRC. intimidation is provoked by management and constant breathing over shoulders. the staff are friendly but the management need to relax
Pros
good staff
Cons
bad management
tedious work pressurised environment poorly paid
Call Centre Operator (Current Employee) –  multiple locations30 September 2018
1. The work is tedious monotonous and its unappreciated by the customers. You will be swore at and abused on a daily basis.
2. The buildings in Peterlee Stockton Middleborough and Washington will be closed in 2020 and you will be expected to get yourself (at your expense) to Longbenton. No onsite parking regardless of who you are.
3.The pay has been been frozen since 2012 with no sign of it increasing. The onsite shops & vending machines charging 40% on items sold.
4. The management is constantly chasing productivity increases and targets rise without consultation or explanation. Disciplinaries given for poor performance are common.
5, Team leaders recruited externally are clueless heavy handed and they treat genuine sickness (cancer, mental health ) very harshly.
6. The working environment is run down with often grubby desks keyboards. With the limited budgets supplies run low resulting in old unreliable desktop PC's that won't work and printers constantly offline or without toner / paper sitting waiting for engineers to turnup to repair them for weeks at a time.
7.Constant pressure to improve without adequate time to do all the extra activities they demand.
8. Bullying is a problem that's getting worse as increased work loads and not enough Civil servants to do the work causes strife.
9. Poor pensions and workers being denied flexible working rights brought into law 2014.
10. Bicycles stolen onsite cars damaged in car parks without any interference from security who will not intervene.
11. Dirty toilets with urine on bathroom floors and no towels to dry your
  more... hands.  less
Pros
Cons
low pay limited flexible working clueless management