HMRC Employee Reviews

Nice place to work - lousy salary and prospects
Officer, Task Force and Specialist Compliance (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire15 January 2018
Great place to work, people are great and the subject matter is challenging and interesting.

Managers are typical government officers with little heed paid to the staff

Salary is exceptionally low considered the amount of responsibility and decision making abilities that are devolved downwards.

Progression is almost non existent unless you have 5 yrs plus service
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Poor Salary
Hard work but good close friendship
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Austell11 January 2018
Most days would be spent on a phone answering clients questions i learned to be more relaxed while talking to people. Management was very hard on people and most had no idear how to treat people to get best results. The hardest part of the job was keeping a calm attitude while people on the other end of the phone would be throwing abuse at you because their attitude was you was the one that caused their problem. The best part of the job was the social side which did help with relaxing when not working.
Pros
Good social activities
Cons
Poor rate of pay per hour
Moral low and poor management
Officer (Former Employee) –  Various8 January 2018
I took early retirement due to the bullying culture enforced within the HMRC and other government departments undue pressures, high targets that were impossible to achieve bad management
customer telephone services
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh7 January 2018
this job was not for me, I was dealing with customers enquiries over the telphone, I am more of a manual hands on type of worker when I can deal with customers needs as when the require
Low paid (pay freeze), demoralising, unappreciated
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Dundee4 January 2018
As an Administrative Officer for Tax Credits, my typical day was talking calls from customers regarding their claims and updating any changes. I had to deal with many frustrated, angry and vulnerable customers, some of whom English was not their first language. This combined with a management who placed more emphasis on call stats and call times, rather than a good customer service. This made this job very stressful and left me feeling very unappreciated and under paid.

The work force with in the building were generally demoralised and some unacceptable cultures such as discrimination, bullying and harassment were almost considered as normal behaviour.

The most enjoyable part of this job was working within a team.
Good work life balance with reasonable pay.
Assistant Officer (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire2 January 2018
Flexible working hours, good pension, opportunities for excellent career progression.
I really had to work hard to learn from each project i was assigned to no formal training .
Pros
Opportunities for excellent career progression.
Cons
Poor development
Great environment for team work
Casework Progression Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands2 January 2018
Good environment, learn to work with people of different backgrounds, shared responsibility on tasks. Lots of regular changes in the right direction - sometimes management don't know how to deal with this. Always moving forward.
Good overall place to work
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bathgate, West Lothian11 December 2017
Working day starts 8 30am two 15 mins break and a hour for lunch. I learned a lot about empathy and also giving right info as you are dealing with peoples benefits as I worked in Tax Credits and Child Benefit. The hardest part sometimes when the systems go down a day trying to explain to the clients.
Pros
10% of a lot of high street shops
Cons
Working weekends every 4wks
excellent place of work
Compliance officer (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire3 December 2017
Excellent place of work and would still be there now if I had not been made redundant, great working hours due to flexible working hours and good rate of pay
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
lack of training for changes to current allowances etc
Fun place to work
Office Assistant - as part of my course (Former Employee) –  Bradford1 December 2017
Learned a lot whilst I was on my work experience. The staff was really friendly and professional. If I was not sure of something and asked a member of staff they would leave their work and help me.
Pros
Really nice place to gain experience
Cons
Did not get taken on
productive workplace
Call Centre placement (Former Employee) –  Bathgate30 November 2017
doing my placement at HMRC was every enjoyable as you would learn something new every day, and the people at HMRC were great and very knowledgeable about everything they were talking about. overall the job was a good place to have a placement and they made it very enjoyable, the most enjoyable part about the placement was meeting all sorts of new people.
Hidden Economy Professional Tax investigator (Current Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London28 November 2017
Great place to work, flexible, calm, not pressurised, good team wprk, great team, good reviews, mamagers supportive, salary could be better, safe environment, secure job,
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Salary could be better
Dead End Organisation with POOR Management
Senior Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Southend, Essex28 November 2017
Before HMRC came to life i would have reccomended work within Government. I previously worked for HM Customs where it was a fun rewarding place to work, the merger with HM Revenue put an end to that. The Managment is truly awfull and basically non existant. Steer clear
Pros
Excellent Annual Leave us flexi time
Cons
Too many to mention
All Good
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Walsall27 November 2017
A typical day was challenge very busy from the time it was open I learned to appreciate respect people because everyone that come in to see us need our support and help due to the services that we offer to any individual. Our management team was okay they help when need. Workplace culture was good we had a work team that support each other, the hardest things was not being able to understand some customers from different part of the country the most enjoyable part of the job was meet our customer,
Good advancement opportunites
Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow23 November 2017
Good advancement opportunites particulary within the next couple of years as a lot of staff are retiring and there is a need to fill their positions.

Very secure job

Flexi-time

Organisation is not HMRC's strong suit. This is particularly evident in recruitment campaigns and job allocations.
Pros
Flexi-time
Cons
Organisation is not HMRC's strong suit
Productive and interactive
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 November 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working at HMRC due to its easy adaptation, productivity throughout the day, independent skills and the comforting easily-adapting atmosphere. You’ll work for HMRC to make sure businesses and individuals follow tax laws and pay the correct amount of tax.

Your day-to-day duties might include:

examining business accounts
visiting businesses to interview board directors, lawyers and accountants
investigating suspected fraud
offering specialist advice about tax
negotiating settlements
representing HMRC at appeals tribunals
considering and applying tax law to cases
leading a team of caseworkers and administrative staff
managing relationships between HMRC and customers
Pros
Good break hours.
Cons
Large building, easily lost
Nice comfortable staff
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  London waterloo21 November 2017
Really nice place to work, staff are friendly and really helpful I was only here a short while but the time I spent was enjoyable and very comfortable.
I am looking to work in a challenging workplace with various duties and career prospects
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London21 November 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working at HMRC. My duties were varied and I enjoyed working on different departments with various people. I enjoy learning new tasks and achieving good results. The staff at HMRC were great to work with and very supportive with fantastic team work attitudes.
Pros
Challenging duties
Cons
Weekend work
Civil service
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Cardiff15 November 2017
It’s great for work life balance as you leave your work at the door and have flexi time. Plus annual leave is generous which means you could spend less time in the office.

The training is non-existent / e-learning. Most stuff you pick up on the job. However, they expect you to answer queries from trained accountants. Try calculating grossed up payments from overseas workers or basis periods for book keeping with next to no training - it is not appropriate.

When are you working, there appears to be some civil servants who will avoid work at all costs. How they make it through is beyond me. Nevertheless they have been identified and are still allowed to stay...

Overall, the works on too taxing (sorry for the pun) nd the pay is decent. At times it will be more frustrating than anything. I can’t knock the work life balance as it’s the best I’ve received. There appear to be plenty of opportunities to progress but there are suggestions these jobs are earned mark for some and the objective process is abused to prevent others being interviewed - can’t say if this is true.
Pros
Flexi time and relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Training is non-exisistent, work avoidance by coworkers
Poor Workplace
Risk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Glasgow14 November 2017
Has built a poor management structure and working environment over the last few years. Job insecurity, very little possibility of advancement, rampant nepotism, no pay raise.