HMRC Employee Reviews

The people are very nice, management very caring, lots of worker support, lots of progression opportunities and personal progression courses
Diary secretay (Former Employee) –  London15 August 2018
For me a typical day was arranging meetings, keeping attendees up to date on the meetings, arranging catering and checking the rooms afterwards. Taking telephone messages for the officers in my office. The management was multilayered and split between different locations throughout the country. The hardest part of the job was balancing everybody’s diaries when I didn’t have direct access to all of them. The best part of the job was working alongside friendly and very helpful people.
Pros
Working for such a supportive government agency.
Cons
Entry level salaries not very good.
Administrative officer excellent job position.
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Cardiff13 August 2018
An amazing place to work working for hmrc revenue and customs this place is a real nice quiet place to work with good career prospects and premotions.
Pros
Government job civil Cervant and good pension
Cons
Weekend work evening work till 8pm
Feeling valued and content
Interaction Designer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne10 August 2018
Very nice working environment, with a diverse range of people making up every team. Lots of very talented people to work with.
Salary is good but DWP tends to be better.
Flexi-time is brilliant and gives you a lot of autonomy, I frequenty get in early and leave early or build up time and take a whole day off, brilliant!
Pros
Flexitime, talented colleagues, training, offsite-visits, travel, relaxed working environment with lots of autonomy
Cons
Design salary could match other departments
Hmrc
tax advsior (Former Employee) –  HMRC cardiff (Brunel House)8 August 2018
My advice is too avoid at all cost, awful place to work, monitored and watched constantly.Awful management who couldn't give a monkeys about you. you are a number, whilst you take call after call. Your team leaders usually newly promoted will take great pleasure in not having to take any calls other than the odd one where they want to speak with a manger and as they weren't on the phones themselves that long usually can't answer and have to ask a more experienced member of staff/team leader.

Culture of being treated like a child and ''Im better than you'' as i'm a grade or two above you culture, everyone's obsessed with there grade lol. To be honest i left 6 10 months ago after a year and i know that pretty much everyone i worked with has left, gone on the sick, with a view to handing there notice in, or have just plain left. some with jobs lined up others without. We had reasonably good training but i understand now the training period is very short and people are being chucked in the deep end with a few weeks training,

We had 4 weeks and two on the phone buddying and it was still daunting. You may be trained in web chat and post but YOU WILL NOT GET TOO DO THIS OR DO IT ONCE EVERY FEW MONTHS FOR MAYBE AN HOUR. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!!!

Some centres have priority for calls and others for post/web chat etc. So anyone working in one of the new centres for example Cardiff city centre... your stuffed, it'll be non stop calls. you'll also be working 2 weekends minimum out of Four either a sat or Sunday and if your reliant on public transport to get in on a Sunday they
  more... really couldn't care less even though buses and trains start later on a Sunday they'll still want you in at 8am,9am etc.

All in all it's pony you'll be working crazy shift patterns where one week it's 12am-8pm another 9am -6pm etc etc.Each week is different and flexi time is extremely limited ie you can make up an hour and a half a day.

All in all why do you think this role is constantly being recruited for and has had it's deadline extended?

Because quite simply its a call centre. money looks good but you'll take home roughly just under 1200 quid a month after tax, Ni pension etc. Best thing myself and others did was leave so many better jobs out there. Hope this helps. and if you think it's sour grapes it's not! it really is like this join up and see and let me know in a year if i was wrong!!!! :) I so happy I left!!!
Pros
There aren't many i'd say it's a city centre location, so easy for the train bus etc except on a sunday
Cons
different shifts each week, poor management from the top down, repetitive and stressful work
Loved the firm, the management but the job security was very poor
Senior Administrative Officer, HMRC (Former Employee) –  Washington5 August 2018
Excellent organisation
Be prepared to work hard and be professional,
Management is excellent but expects results, no passengers needed
work place culture - work and more work in prison-esque building
enjoyable part was lunch
Pros
Managment
Cons
Infighting between colleagues
Good colleagues
Customer advisor (Former Employee) –  Dundee, Dundee City30 July 2018
Good company to work for, excellent benefits and training. Always kept busy and very flexible in certain circumstances. Great colleagues and good atmosphere.
Great Staff. Terrible Training
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire25 July 2018
I worked in the Tax Credits department answering calls and updating the systems. The training involved was terrible. most of it was just on the job, They would have you answer a call and then put the customer on hold and ask a "Walker" to tell you how to do what was required by the customer. Customers would be enraged at being put on hold multiple times during a call. But we were new and didn't know how to do most of the things customers called about. I was constantly shouted at by customers, and I couldn't really blame them. I was told by almost every customer that they were placed in a cue for 30-50 minutes before they got through to one of us.

My team and manager were great. all of the team leaders/managers i worked with were great. I always felt like a member of the team.
But the initial training was terrible.
Pros
Friendly Staff, Coffee shop in the building
Cons
Terrible Training, Dealing with irate customers daily
not as good as it once was very poorly paid.
civil servant (Former Employee) –  long benton25 July 2018
Working in the Civil Service used to be a good career but those days are long gone. You will be working alongside colleagues who do have full flexi time and pensions which are the envy of the private sector but you will not have flexi time and your pension will be the standard government works pension. Your wage will be 10% above the NMW with a 1% increase annually and you will be managed by people who were promoted without the relevant experience. The business need comes before the rights of the workers and management will use this excuse to deny you holidays or any sort of work flexibility. Soon all Civil Servants will be required to be relief call center staff as this service is cut to save costs those calls still need to answered. The work is dull and monotonous and the tasks can change daily without explanation. The target are set by people who have never worked the various tasks and are sometimes unachievable . The quality required is high but the equipment & software is old and updates often result in total system failures.
The parking is limited and strictly controlled with some day staff having to park 200m away in the Waterfowl park overflow. Other have to walk nearly 600m to Asda distribution center to park and at their own cost. Soon (2020) the Washington center will be closed and all staff moved to Long Benton Newcastle. No on sight parking will be available and the cost to travel to work will have to be covered by yourself.
Pros
vending machines
Cons
vending machines
Overall satisfactory
HMRC -movements clerk (Former Employee) –  Harrogate24 July 2018
As a movements clerk the job was mundane but at the end of the day you could see results . It was a nice place to work .
there was little room for promotion and then the office closed.
Pros
Term time contract
Cons
Mundane work
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff24 July 2018
Lots of good benefits, able to explore different methods of delivering a high standard of customer service. Make good friends and management treat you fairly.
Pros
flexi work
Cons
bad parking
Poorly Led, Badly Rewarded Staff, Terrible Culture
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dundee20 July 2018
HMRC is led by a corporate team that seems set on the idea that the entire staff are robots. All decision making has been stripped away from the lower echelons of the organisation, and when these people are promoted, they still haven't learned decision making.

The cowardly leadership also refuses to advocate for the staff to receive anything remotely resembling a fair pay rise, despite three years of continually closing the tax gap and achieving our organisational objectives. As a result only people trapped and demotivated stay in the organisation and the vast majority of the sites have a highly toxic culture.
Pros
Flexi Time
Cons
Long Hours, Random Shifts, Relentless Workload Worsensed by staff reductions
Avoid working for HMRC unless desperate - health warning
Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk19 July 2018
HMRC has a toxic bullying culture - that serious fact really makes any other pros and cons of the job irrelevant. It's a nasty and dishonest place to work. Staff cannot rely on employment law to protect themselves against the bullying as HMRC will just lie and cover it up. Very damaging to people's health.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Rewarding but pressurised
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear18 July 2018
Daily routine is varied and challenging but also rewarding. Over the years this organisation has invested in coaching and advancement of staff. Support is always put in place when required.
Pros
Good work life ballance
Cons
Changes in shift patterns
Department has lost its way
Officer (Current Employee) –  Croydon18 July 2018
Apart from the obsession of fraud HMRC is now lost and is not customer friendly! Its idea is to move into the next genneration by employing University graduates into the fast stream promote them to grade 6 or 7's so shortly no one in the department will understand what customers require on a face to face situation.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Little or no training
Just a work ex placement
2 week work placement (Former Employee) –  Brierley Hill16 July 2018
I loved every minute spent during my two week work placement. The building itself is lovely and everybody I had the pleasure to meet were all very warm and friendly, even senior management. I learned a lot there and if there were any job vacancies available there, I would not hesitate to apply.
Productive and Fun
RIS Analysis SPR Data Manager (Current Employee) –  Bootle, Merseyside14 July 2018
I would design systems that would deliver an automated, simpler and productive approach to working with HMRC. I look at what is required by my stakeholder and design procedures that would deliver what they required. Using the chosen Operation System platform (Windows and Office 365), I would write Visual Basic and SQL statements building applications that support the teams objectives. I would also provide support for all IT software within the department.

I learn each day looking at different coding practices that I can apply to achieve my goals. Watching a project come together and develop to a final outcome is a rewarding part of my job.

The hardest part about the role are the additional corporate aspects expected of you for example keeping up to speed with Company policies and procedures.
Pros
Flexi Time, Onsite Gym
Cons
The possibility of being moved to different roles on Senior Leaderships request
Be warned
DRT (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire13 July 2018
DRT Nottingham
Management chain reactive not proactive
Civil Service Code not compiled with
Dis-organised and chaotic and work beyond your remit consistently delegated from higher grades
Complete opposite of transparent and open
Communication and trust between management and workers not there
favouritism, bullying, lack of consistency, unapproachable management, knee jerk reactions, treated like children, victimisation, unfairness and unreasonableness in management commonplace.
I would advice don't come here unless you have absolutely no choice.
There is no confidentiality.

Turn over is unusually high.
used to be good
Assistant Officer (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees, Durham9 July 2018
used to be great but employed managers higher level with no clue and closing many offices which creates an us and them culture

pay ok, flexi great, local team leaders lovely
Lots of pressure
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees6 July 2018
Some of the work can be quite complicated. You have to go onto telephony at the drop of a hat. It could be very stressful. If you don't mind telephone work you can get a lot of satisfaction from dealing with the calls. You work in teams and sometimes you can have a laugh!
Pros
Flexi and good annual leave
Cons
Pressure from management
productive place to work
Civil Servant (Current Employee) –  East Kilbride6 July 2018
A typical day at work involves taking calls from employers in regards to their payroll and solving any problems they may have or answering any questions they may have in regards to their payroll.
You learn how to provide a good customer service.
the job can be quite demanding at times and quite stressful especially when it is really busy.
the hardest part of the job sometimes is trying to find out what the customers are actually asking but good telephone and questioning skills does make it easier.
the people you work with do play a huge part in making the job easier and a fun place to work.