HM Revenue & Customs Employee Reviews

Great Job
Performance Improvement Manager (Former Employee) –  East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire16 April 2019
Good job security until this point, HMRC are looking to reduce staff drastically so will dismiss for any reason. Overall, it was a good experience but is not a place to work if you wish to earn money to justify the work put in.
Varied and interesting work, supportive colleagues, high level of job satisfaction.
ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Norwich12 April 2019
Varied work depending on customer contact and government initiatives, giving the opportunity to gain a greater understanding of tax law, IT, customer service and office management.
The office culture was friendly and customer focused, with strong union representation and an active social club.
The hardest part of the job was frustration regarding the challenging targets, but this was offset by the satisfaction that our customers were treated fairly and politely.
Pros
Flexitime and pension
Cons
lack of progression opportunities
not great
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow9 April 2019
not a great place to work where you are largely treated like pawns to be moved my managment in any direction.
Your role will expand and expand throughout your time without any benefits.
Nice place to work
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Liverpool8 April 2019
Staff were treated fairly, pay was good at the time, enjoyed being part of new projects and flexible hours were a benefit.
The offices have moved now but back then it was a nice building, well maintained and comfortable working environment.
Not a bad place to work
Personal Tax Customer Service Adviser (Current Employee) –  Longbenton5 April 2019
It can be a good place to work if you land in a good department. HMRC is very big so you will get opportunities to move around. Pay could be better for the kind of work you do, but you get flexible work, so that makes up for it.
Pros
Flexi, annual leave.
Cons
Pay
Awful place
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London21 March 2019
Hmrc is a horrendous place to work - if you are taken on on a new, non flexi contract. I work as a customer service advisor on the phone and it is stressful and very challenging. We are forced to come into work before our shift starts without being paid for it, and if we log on one minute after our shift starts, despite being in the building early, on time for the start of our shift.; you are harassed and punished for being ‘late’. Every moment of your day is monitored and you will be questioned if your break is too long. Training is appalling, expected to know advanced technical tax rules and legislation with next to no training. Customers can be extremely abusive and there is no support for this. You are treated like just a number, and if your stats aren’t good, expect to have managers openly talking about you in front of you and your team as managers have a gang like culture. Also the organisation promotes incompetent people for managerial roles who won’t know what they are doing. The work is extremely challenging, tiring and you are made to work unfair shift patterns. Wages are nowhere near enough what they should be. Also will take around six months from applying for the job to the actual start date. Avoid at all costs, unless you like stress.
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Cons
Poor pay, awful culture, bullying, challenging work, stress
Good work life balance
Medium Business Compliance Revenue Officer (Former Employee) –  Spalding, Lincolnshire19 March 2019
Varied and interesting work
Work included data entry, customer contact both face to face and on the telephone
Continual learning
Good colleagues
Good job security
Pros
Good job security
Cons
Great workplace to put economics in action
Assistant Economist (Former Employee) –  London15 March 2019
Great job experience, I learnt a lot through daily challenges. They invest a lot in your professional development. Daunting moments might come, when workload can reach very high peaks, but you always get a lot of support.
Much as you would expect from Civil Service work
Assistant Officer (Former Employee) –  Dundee13 March 2019
Whilst I was working for the department there were a number of strikes as is to be expected in the civil service (I took part as I believe in collective bargaining). There were some strange rules such as no reading books whilst waiting for call to come in. Highly stressful job but it can get left at the door on the home. Overtime occasionally available and pay was pretty decent, particularly compared to other Civil Service departments
Pros
Reasonable pay and hours
Cons
Shift work and stressful job
Professional Workplace
Compliance officer (Former Employee) –  Preston12 March 2019
Work was efficient and productive and training was provided to deal with the most complex situations.
Learning about how HMRC operates, telephony skills, computer skills, systems skills all helped me progress in the business.
Pros
Flexible working hours
I enjoyed my time here
Debt Collector/Large Debt Collector (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff7 March 2019
I enjoyed my time here. this was my first Civil Service Job and I gained loads of skill that helped me to procures to the next grade and I;m using these skills to progress even further.
Pros
Easy to book leave, limited felxi available
Cons
Flexi could be more flexiable
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bathgate7 March 2019
Good work/ life balance. Good promotion prospects. Good pay. Excellent training facilities and varied social events designed to motivate staff. Good secure job.
Pros
Productive and necessary tasks for government.
Local Resource Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bathgate7 March 2019
HMRC has a specialised training infrastructure and 5h8s enables staff to progress up the corporate ladder if they have the required skills. Working hours were structured and fair.
Pros
Good progression possibilities
Closing down
Higher Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Midlands2 March 2019
No local offices will be left just 13 large faceless carbuncles. Will be progression for some as long as you are prepared to gives up terms & conditions
Administration Assistant full time (Former Employee) –  Glasgow28 February 2019
I loved my job with HMRC I got paid off as they were getting rid of my grade AA. I had a great 10 years working with lovely people. Management was ok but at times didn’t have enough work for us. Mostly it was a fantastic place to work .
Pros
Flexitime
Cons
At times bored with lack of decent work
has its ups and downs
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear28 February 2019
This company would be great if it wasnt for budget cuts and austerity, the Flexi time is great but i think thats being phased out so you'd be lucky to get it if youre just starting.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Bad atmosphere, poor management
Will come back & bite them
Band O (TOHG, EO, Band D) (Current Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire23 February 2019
The culture at HMRC is scary - it is full of very ambitious young people with massively over inflated egos that think they are way better than they are - they know very little (if anything) about tax - to get the next promotion, all they have to do is 'big themselves up' - no one checks to see that they are capable of what they say they can do - and 'hey presto' - Grade 7 here I come!
Pros
If yiu can big yourself up, you've made it!
Cons
nothing in it for the experienced staff
This was excellent, until changes made security unstable
Assistant Officer, Personal Tax Operations (Former Employee) –  Dundee, Dundee City22 February 2019
I worked at this job for 9 years, I enjoyed most of these as I was dealing with driven and focussed colleagues. There was a genuine sense of team work and sharing best practices so that results could be made that would benefit us, as workers, and the members of the public with whom I'd been dealing with every day I was there. I am still in touch with a number of my ex-colleagues daily as you get to really know people when working to tight deadlines and KPIs, and a strong sense of humour in doing this helped form good alliances.

There were many changes within the working environment in the last 2 years, Iost faith in management efficiency and felt our jobs were being undermined on a daily basis and did not enjoy going into the workplace anymore as I was being put under far more pressure than most of the members of the team I had been placed in, was achieving very high statistics and doing more work than my colleagues, as I was a senior worker trained in more lines of work, and this was being undermined constantly for no discernable reason.
Most of what you do adds no value
Manager (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear20 February 2019
Pointless and frustrating place to work. Be prepared to face endless frustrations if you actually try to do something of value. The management are extremely focused on minutiae, monitoring the smallest details and diverting your time away from anything that could add real value.

Managers time is taken up by scrutinising and reporting every minute lost to productivity. The irony isn’t that’s far more but money is spent on this than any losses themselves.

Working patterns are becoming ever more restricted, as is booking leave. These used to be seen as bonuses of working in the Civil Service, but not any more.

On staff welfare, I have found them to be the worst employer I’ve ever encountered. It’s like operating in a cult, whereby any logic you offer is usually met with incredulity because it doesn’t align with the groupthink that managers have become indoctrinated with.

I’d simply advise anyone of thinking of working fir HMRC to pick any other Government Department.
Pros
The pension
Cons
Pointless existence, made unnecessarily unpleasant by rule followers who are unable to lead, motivate or manage.
Good place for a temp assignment
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, Durham20 February 2019
I was at the |VOA for almost 3 months when I finished due to personal reasons, otherwise I would have stayed until the end of the contract which kept being extended as work justified me and my 2 colleagues staying there.
Pros
Breaks and early finish on Friday
Cons
Contract - no chance of being taken on