HM Revenue & Customs
Here to help: Coronavirus update
Updates from HM Revenue & Customs:

HM Revenue & Customs Employee Reviews

United Kingdom949 reviews
Was great to start with but everything is streem lined and the management are not the best put you under alot of pressure. They are shipping a lot of the work abroad and a lot of what you do there is followed by a lean process which was adapted in the war. Everything is now based of targets
Hmrc
The job is a highly stressful job where there is little trust between workers and management. If you do end up working there, make sure you join the union.
Pros
Leave entitlement after 1 year is generous.
Cons
Pay
Moderate workplace
My typical day was an assortment of investigation duties.
I learned about Tax Avoidance schemes, however, most HMRC training is not nationally recognised.

Management styles vary largely overtime and as a result of your manager, difficult to comment.
Great team, great colleagues
FIS was a great place to work. Challenging, supportive and lively with a good mix of colleagues and a good work life balance. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Its aok
Great place to work, depending where you are based and what grade you are will determine the pace of your work and what you are paid. Staff friendly, easy to fit in.
Very poor management with a culture of bullying
Poor management who have little technical and people skills. Don’t want to listen and don’t like being challenged, although you’re encouraged to do so at interview.
Poor management, lack of trust.
Management v poor. Untrustworthy, nepotism rules as a matter of course and sexism is rife. There is a lot of gossiping, backstabbing and work hiding. Most staff 'top sheet' cases and do not look at cases in depth. Managers did not have a clue about any of the work that their team undertook. Dealing with customer queries was the best thing. Constant criticism of oneself and of other teams is demoralising. Toilets never worked , lifts often broken for months, nowhere to eat one's lunch, computer systems not up to the job, very slow and always offline. Office windows would not open and no air conditioning. They discriminate against disabled staff. Dreadful, dreadful.
Pros
You get paid!
Cons
Long hours, bizarre rotas, near derelict buildings, low salary, bullying, I coild go on and on.
Good Workplace
Good company and benefits. Hires lots of diverse people and can be relaxed. People are friendly and helpful, you can progress well within the government
The positives far out way the bad!
So not all managers are great, I actually knew more than my manager and he was from a team that evaluates our calls...he was shockingly lacking and pretty pointless but there was 5 other managers on the floor all prepared to advise or help.

It's a call centre, there are limitless amounts of gossip and cat clawing everywhere but there's also a lot of really nice people. My team were amazing and super supportive after a horrible call.

You don't get the training you're told you'll get as quickly as you think. My intake didn't get SA training until 2yrs into the job which puts immense pressure on everyone in SA as there was very few of them and the turnover of staff at the 2yr mark is very high as people move on to other roles in the civil service, its a battle especially when there's 1000+ calls coming in and very few people with access to all systems.

The calls are hard, people go crazy when it comes to tax and blame you for everything even when they are PAYE and it's their employer that's screwed up their money. I was even told by a nurse 4mths into the job she would watch me die if she met me because I have stolen her money but it was her payroll that screwed up. No matter who people are/what they do tax creates monsters so be prepared for these calls and be resilient.

It's a hard job for such little pay and it is little for what you deal with on the calls. Would also advise getting to grips from day 1 with the guidance you are marked against this and yes it is hard because somethings are hard to find but you can learn it.
Awful
Terrible place to work. Treat people like children. Management were awful. No people skills at all. Only cared about stats. So brown nosed . If you needed help you had no chance.
Toxic environment
Terrible micro management.....
Full of anacronyms and orwellian double speak.. .

Not suited for anyone that considers themself as a thinker......

No thought required as everything is covered in the guidance....

Overall not an enjoyable experience .
Great teamwork, fast busy paced environment. A typical day would involve dealing with the incoming post, scanning various documents, sorting out the incoming post and the outgoing post for the Office. This is a busy fast paced Government environment, with a great team focus.
Great people Rubbish management
HMRC make all the right noises about caring for their staff, with all manner of programs, i.e. about inclusion, health and safety, mental health and other issues. Unfortunately these are only a tick box exercise and are not followed through by local management. Senior management have no respect for the staff and are only interested in their next career step.
This unfortunately is the culture in the civil service.

The work can be interesting and your colleagues are great people, who all want to do the best jobs they can for the public. It falls down with the management, who are only interested in top line results and reducing budgets, hence staff get stressed and essential services are cut to the public.
.I have enjoyed working at HMRC
.I have learned many different aspects of Admin working at HMRC, with great teamwork and spirit. The job role was varied and covered the full range of admin duties, ranging from scanning to photocopying.
I enjoyed my years at HMC&E then HMRC
I started as an AA and through promotion to Officer in Charge (SIO) Through my years I worked at 3 different offices and an airport + secondments I worked hard in a friendly team gaining promotion and moved offices accordingly.
Work was varied and interesting and I always felt supported. Hence, I have recommended HMRC to even a family member who is also very happy in his workplace.
Stressful
HMRC has become a place full of stressful, despondent and depressed staff who are expected to do the work of several for the salary of one. The Managers are not actively recruiting to replace staff that have resigned or retired and are having to deal with more staff going on learn term sick leave.
I have taken early retirement package
Big changes. Able to progress within.
Salary a pay rises not good.

Pay freeze.

Lots of new staff graduates who do not stay long.

HMRC waste money on training these.
No equal opportunities or fairly treated. To much discrimination
Would not recommend to work here. Salary very poor. Management who don't know the job or who to manage. No caring for staff. Staff morale at its worst. Too many chiefs.No one gets treated fairly or equally. Too much bullying from management.
Pros
Work colleagues
Cons
Poor pay, bullying from management.
Your just a number
Worked with lovely people, but if your only AO you are replaceable. Team leaderA you can be absolutely rubbish at the job, nothing gets done about it. Training is not up to scratch, no where near long enough.
Pros
Security
Cons
Treated like you are replaceable
Busy
Weak on staff training. I don't wish to say any more than that. All knowledge is acquired on the premise of learning by your mistakes. Induction was non-existent
Nothing to add
Sadly far too many new recruits came to the organisation with not enough work.
Culture is far too relaxed with not enough guidance from management or colleagues.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at HM Revenue & Customs. Our community is ready to answer.