HM Forces Employee Reviews

terrible place to work
communications logistic specialist (Former Employee) –  Colerne, Wiltshire15 January 2018
the army is a terrible place to work. the seniors are constantly looking to discipline you for even the most minor things in a hope that somebody higher than them see it and tell them what a good job they are doing. you get treated like a 10 year old and not even allowed to cook you own food so you have to pay them for the the pigswill that they cook in the canteen.
The benefits that enticed me to join (pension, bonuses etc) are quickly diminishing and the army has had a 1% pay rise in the last 7 years.
Pros
5 weeks holiday
Cons
the old benefits (pension, bonuses etc) are quickly diminishing.
10 out of 10
Combat Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire13 January 2018
I loved every minuet of my army career I was very hard at time but you have many people that you could look up to and help you out through those dark times
enjoyable
Supply Specialist (Former Employee) –  Surrey12 January 2018
work 24/7 but do have time off to relax and everyone you work with is like family and up eat sleep and chill with them and got to travel the world and done 2 tours
Army
Servicing Bay Technician (Current Employee) –  Topcliffe Royal Air Force Base10 January 2018
A typical day would start at 0830pm and finish at 1630pm with a 1 hour lunch break from 1230pm to 1330 pm,

I've learnt how to manage people in very different ways and also taking responsibility for 2 ranks above me and learning there job so that I'm fully aware how the team works from all angles. The Hardest part of the job is when we go away on training exercises and leaving your family behind for several weeks however this is where i learnt the vast amount of my experience due to the fast pace you have to be consistently adapting to the new orders given to you. The workplace culture was always a relaxed one where jokes and pranks would a daily thing however there was always a level of professionalism to the jobs given out and accepted to a high standard.
Pros
Long Lunch break
Cons
Long hours thought the weeek at times
Good workplace
Soldier/Driver (Current Employee) –  Essex9 January 2018
Working in the armed forces has given me a lot of new skills that I would not otherwise have gained. It has taught me a lot of valuable life lessons as well as given me good personal pride
Different to Anything
Technical Manager. RSM & GSM (Former Employee) –  Bovington Camp4 January 2018
Having worked in the Army for 28yrs no 2 days are ever the same. It is a unique job. Everyday presented challenges and critical decision making. I have learnt plethora of skills from practical life skill to technical education to diploma level in management. I have embraced a very high ethos of value and standards. This has helped to work with multi cultural staff in the workplace.
The constant unknown world conflicts that we are subject to, makes it hard to constantly adapt to family and 'civilian' life style.
The family ethos and opportunities the forces gives you often out-weighs the negative side.
Pros
Sports, Fitness, Security, Pension.
Cons
Unpredictable hours and deployment.
Very Productive and an energetic workplace.
HR Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Stamford3 January 2018
Reported to the HR Director and partnered with Heads of Department and senior managers across a busy logistics organisation to provide expert advice and guidance in implementation of MOD HR policies and procedures, in accordance with UK employment law.

The go-to-person for all HR Projects.
Led, managed and developed a team of 27 HR Managers and Consultants delivering HR advice, payroll and administration service for 550 personnel.
Controlled £450K project.
Used MI to define, set and monitor team KPI's.
Developed new reward management policy to drive talent management.
Created new induction programme which improved employee engagement.
Devised successful resourcing strategy following major redundancy programme.
Pros
Good working environment. Traveling.
Cons
Working weekends.
Poor Management
Line Manager (Former Employee) –  Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire2 January 2018
A typical day in work would consist of some form of physical training followed by a lot of waiting around due to the lack of management skills. The hardest part of the job is being away from your family so much of the time for no reason whatsoever but also having to deal with the amount of boredom daily.
Pros
Salary, Physical Training
Cons
Poor Management, Lack of downtime, No leadership
Team work
SECTION COMMANDER (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom30 December 2017
Very good job security, salary and benefits are very good. Work life balance can be hard at time, all depending on your circumstances and family life.
dont do it
Communtication Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  world wide30 December 2017
after years in the armed forces the work load is terrible. there is no way of knowing what your doing day to day. managment may as well be working in a circus.
great working environment, serious but fun
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Strensall, North Yorkshire28 December 2017
training constantly to become a professional solider, taught me how to work as a team player but keep my independence, to speak my opinion and listen to others opinions
Rewarding
Military Training Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lyneham, Wiltshire26 December 2017
Very hard work a times but very rewarding working as part of a team and individual. Not a lot of people will be cut out for military life however if you feel like you want to break your body and feel underestimated and undervalued then this is the job for you.
Pros
Good work peers
Cons
Higher ranks
everything i want to do
I carried out guard duties (Former Employee) –  Aldershot, Hampshire16 December 2017
It was everything i wanted to do in my life at that time, meet some amazing friends for life and the experience was brilliant possible the best 9 years of my life
Pros
all parts of army life
Cons
away from family a little bit to long
Need to be in it completely
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow15 December 2017
Able to build great friendships and life skills. Opportunities to travel the world. Not able to book holidays, less appealing having people shout at you for daft things, hard to maintain a work/life balance.
Okay
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Cyprus Station14 December 2017
I enjoyed working in the army for just over 4 years. There are a lot of good times within the job but also comes with the bad. I would advise against it.
every day is different
Soldier (Current Employee) –  Aldershot11 December 2017
Every day is different in the forces whether its stock taking, leadership tasks or training. I gained many qualifications from the forces which include all my driving license, forklift licence, computer skills and maths & English.
Fantastic Career
Warrant Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 December 2017
The British Army is a fantastic career for any young person to consider. There is potentially opportunities to travel the world and join a unique band of men and women who have a common cause, the protection of our nation.
After spending 22 years of my working life in the army I recommended it.
Pros
Great Career
Cons
Long hours, pay needs to improve
Army
Team member (Former Employee) –  5 Rifles29 November 2017
a typical day is getting no satisafction from what you're doing whatsoever, being treated like dirt and the everlasting want to kill yourself, this is not a job i would reccommend to anyone, since getting stabbed in each eye repeatedly while you wife is having intercourse with another man in front of you is literally more desirable.
Pros
Garenteed pay
Cons
the want to hang myself everyday
Best Job Ever
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland27 November 2017
If you want to go on one big adventure then this is the job for you! I have met a lot of great friends in this job and I actually got to work as part of a team not the illusion of being part of a team like most jobs.

Seriously the job isn't as bad as you think and you will be traveling the world for free!
Pros
Great friends, travel the world for free
Cons
pay is not that great, picking up cig ends, cleaning clean weapons to pass time
Best thing i ever done
Gunner (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear18 November 2017
I have earned a medal for a tour in Afghanistan and received a badge for 6 years service.
The hardest part of the job was leaving my family behind for months.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and travelling.
Pros
friendships, traveling
Cons
leaving an being away from family