HM Forces Employee Reviews

I would go back tomorrow if I was 20 years younger
Chief Clerk (Former Employee) –  Worldwide14 June 2018
Great life, great people. Operational tours can be long and hard but the rewards afterwards are worth it. Fantastic workplace culture and friends made for life
great place to work
Stores Manager (Former Employee) –  Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire12 June 2018
excellent career and travel prospects
excellent for personal development
typical day includes work in the military store fro 8am to 5pm
many examples to learn and prgress
workplace culture in professional and can be exciting depending on operations
Pros
travel, long term career
Cons
short notice deployments
An organisation that is behind the curve and reinforces failure
Intelligence Corps Soldier (Current Employee) –  Various UK and overseas6 June 2018
The military offers you fantastic opportunities and a good salary for what you do. However, it is riddled with under-performers that often have little incentive for improvement. In part mangers can be accountable for this but the significant overstretch of resources (mainly personnel) leaves little time for development, innovation and effective change management.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
unpredictability, overworked, underappreciated, high loss of best performers
ups and downs
HM Forces (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom5 June 2018
the opportunities afforded to anyone in the armed forces is amazing and memories can be made for life. on the other side of the coin your ability to plan anything in the future is severely undermined due to constant last minute taskings. If you are very family orientated the time away can become a drag and ruin what could be very good chances to enjoy things you probably wont do anywhere else.
Pros
job security, benefits, travel.
Cons
poor management, little input of where you go or when you go, can easily feel unimportant of little more than a number
Versatile and Enjoyable place to work
Visits and Engagements Warrant Officer (Current Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire31 May 2018
The Army is an excellent employer for career and personal development. Throughout my career I have gained a wide variety of qualifications. I have not experienced a bad manager during my career, there have been inexperienced ones, but all are wiling to learn and develop. This is an inherent culture within the services.
Pros
excellent allowances and pension
Dont do it
Infanteer (Former Employee) –  Oakham29 May 2018
Bad managers who give constant silly jobs out of no where. A horrible atmosphere knowing that at any moment you could lose your free time and spend all night cleaning brass
Enjoyed my time in HM Forces, time to leave.
Administration / HR (Current Employee) –  Andover23 May 2018
Sat a desk for most of the day.

I have no management responsibilities in my current post, but have previously managed junior soldiers.

Relaxed working environment, time out the working day to conduct own fitness as we are expected to remain fit.

No longer enjoy working away from home and only going home at weekends.

The travel opportunities and places visited for work and for Adventure Training. The people I have met over the years, some who I am still in touch with.
Pros
Fitness in work time. Lots of opportunity for funded personal development.
Cons
Expected to cover for other Admins. Living away from home.
It's what you make it.
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cottesmore, Leicestershire21 May 2018
A typical day at work varies hugely depending on the trade/job you go into. It would be a lie to say that all days in the Army are the same.
during my time I have learned a great deal on how to lead rather than tell people what to do you try to inspire them to be better.
I would do it all again if given the opportunity.
Staff Sergeant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom21 May 2018
latterly I was a line manager (Staff Sergeant) managing a fast moving engineering workshop technical store. From day to day I was a mentor to my subordinates as well as a manager. The work ethic or culture was professional and a robust approach. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep the customer happy, the most enjoyable was when you achieved your aim and objectives.
Pros
Leave periods
Cons
Operational tours
Good career for those willing to commit to it.
Army Welfare Worker (Current Employee) –  Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire21 May 2018
The Army has and always will rewaurd those who are willing to commit themselves to it. It often requires sacrifice and a willingness to put the sercive before yourself, but is vastly rewarding.
Pros
Pension & pay.
Cons
Lack of control over location and working hours.
Challenging but rewarding workplace
Signaller (Former Employee) –  Ripon, North Yorkshire20 May 2018
Joining the Army has provided me the foundations to better myself and it’s given me an endless list of benefits. It’s build up my confident with interacting with other people and helped me to become an independent person.

I could write so much more about what the Army has provided me but I’d be here all day. The Army provides building blocks, especially for people who look for a bit of guidance to help set themselves on the right path and I’d recommend anyone to join who needs a little bit of direction and life skills.

Yes the Army isn’t all sunflowers and roses and times can be challenging and tough but that’s when you realise what kind of person you are and I know without a doubt I wouldn’t be in the position I Army without the Army.
Pros
Free Driving Licenses
Cons
Job Satisfaction
Best working years of my life so far
Corporal - Advanced Signaller/Systems Maintainer (Former Employee) –  undisclosed17 May 2018
Typical day: 0745 - 0900 = PT
0900 -1230 = Work (Department or job role)
1230 -1400 = Lunch
1400 -1730 = Work

Mon to Fri (on average) (Varies on job roles,tasks and/or Ops) with occasional weekends

Learnt alot

Management is ok (nothing more though)

Workplace culture is outstanding

Hardest part is being away from friends and family for long periods of time.

Most enjoyable part is being away from friends and family, Wage, training outcomes/Qualifications, Travel the world and better yourself.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Not Worth it
Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  South West16 May 2018
Only good for those who are committed. if you are young and single then its great, however if you have a family and want to watch your kids grow up its not worth the time away.
Fun, Productive and Life Challaging
Senior Supply Manager (Former Employee) –  Britian15 May 2018
Every day was a challenge, I learned my leadership and management and life's kills here, the hardest part of Army life was operations, but being part of a team made the job a career.
Pros
Comradeship
Cons
moving
Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Catterick Garrison12 May 2018
The best employer for opportunities in the U.K lots of different roles and the biggest apprenticeship provided in the U.K.Loads of sporting opportunities and chances to travel to different countries all over the world.
Pros
Half days Wednesday and Friday.
Cons
May have to work away.
Interesting work, keeps you active. But do your research!
Reconnaissance Platform Driver (Current Employee) –  Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire10 May 2018
Every day is different. You will make some of the best friends in your life and as long as you put in the effort and surround yourself with the right people you will do well. Work/Life balance isn't great. Strongly urge people to talk to people currently serving to get a non watered down opinion.
Pros
.Job stability, Varied. Keeps you fit
Cons
No escape from work. Family time is very limited.
Great life experience
Helicopter Crewman (Current Employee) –  Ilchester10 May 2018
Great career for a young single individual. Has good promotion aspects. Depending on trade and cap badge will decipher how long your career will last.
Pros
good money, meet interesting people, exciting life style
Cons
away from family often, bad organisation, hard to have a work / life balance
Rewarding career
IC Medical and Dental Servicing Section (Current Employee) –  York8 May 2018
Having come to the end of 22 years service looking back i feel that i have had a very varied and rewarding experience.
Progressing through the rank structure over my time in the armed forces through various working permanent locations and operation tours, i have been lucky enough to see a lot of what the army has to offer and gained the most for the experiences.

It is hard to explain what a typical day is like as it always depends on the current role in which i am serving and what taskings need to be completed.

As an electronics technician employed with the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers my main role throughout my career has been the repair of military equipment systems, this involves the routine planned inspection and maintenance to repair of damaged equipment. Its no good having all the equipment if it cant function properly.

Keeping this equipment on the road has left me with a huge ammount of job satisfaction and pride
Pros
challenging work
Cons
short notice absences from family
Amazing
Electrical and mechanical engineer (Former Employee) –  U.K. Germany various countries28 April 2018
joined from school loved every second !!!
Travelled the world,
played a huge variety of sports to a competitive level,
Great people who become family.
Came out with a huge amount of trade qualifications.
Pros
Training, trade qualifications, travel, people
Cons
Changed since my time
HM Forces
Senior Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff27 April 2018
A chance of visiting countries all over the world. Working in environments that are challenging but worthwhile.

It has educated me to degree level and have had an enjoyable career.
Pros
Teamwork