HM Courts & Tribunals Service

HM Courts & Tribunals Service Employee Reviews

United Kingdom72 reviews
Varied place to work
Interesting place to work. There was no such thing as a typical day in the job. Every day was different. Lots of public interaction. The management were quite responsive to cultural change.
Would not recommend
Poor pay, no support, awful culture no thanks no loyalty. No future. No progression. No reward or thanks for hard work. Far to many managers and not enough staff at the coal face
Disorganised and discriminating
Pros: decent facilities, some parking, supportive colleagues
Cons: The actual recruitment process is takes months, the training is terrible, the IT unreliable, induction was totally disorganised. Senior management display aggression and a severe lack of empathy for individual circumstances, bordering on discrimination. This type of behaviour in the workplace is totally unacceptable in 2020
Bullying Culture
There is a real bullying culture within the MOJ. Outdated ways of working and longer serving employees with grown adult children still have term time only contracts and part time hours. Centralization and talk of moving up North. It's just a waiting game really, hence why they're only giving out fixed term only contracts.
Terrible staff
The way the company is set up is brilliant and would be amazing to work for but the management staff are terrible and unwilling to help when you are in need, and rather than do there job and support you they moan at you and other manages that your required help
Loved the job
Management is awful, they really have no idea, wouldn't last five minutes in the business world. Training is just as appalling too, they give you two weeks help, then your on your own...loved the job I was doing, but was let go (worked via an agency) because I didn't mix at lunch times, or after work!

I can't believe tax payers have pay for someone like me, to be trained up for five months, only to be released because my face didn't fit.

Worcester's senior management need to taught on how to deal with people, not just figures!
Very busy office environment
The Magistrates' Court is changing dramatically. I have completed my duties in a strictly timed manner. The job I have been doing for 30 years have now been centralised and I am now being trained on a different department.
Fun work place
Pros:

- Flexible worklife

- Great colleagues and managers

- Varied work

- Chance at progression

Cons

- Low pay

- Outdated facilities

- Can spend a whole day looking for files
Great corporation to work with
I loved working at both the Royal Courts of Justice and Southwark Crown Court .You must to be competent in working within time restraints and targets .You must be accurate with your results and always keep yourself updated with produces .
Bad management
Bad management, berry unprofessional, if your face fits then great, easy work . Managers do not follow procedure s in terms of disciplinary action, and higher management look after managers
Very unprofessional
Very clicky place to work , very sly
Managers side with eachother, people are not nice they are rude and unhelpful

Management are appalling for civil service
Pros
Cons
Don't be based downstairs it is a bad atmosphere
Hectering, bullying and belittling culture
I had been working for 12 years and I had to resign , I've been bullied and harrassed by managers and staff , no support from manager being treated like a child in school , I wasnt given even 5 minutes break for coffee in morning, stats were high even couldnt get time to go to bathroom, pressure from management gave me anxiety and finally depression and a bad back and finally with no support from management , I had no choice but to resign ...!
Bearable but not brilliant
Pay is significantly less than other government departments
Benefit package is good though some aspects are convoluted.

Managers are hit and miss with some having been trained decades ago with no refresher training as ways of working have developed. Some have no empathy sticking rigidly to the party line. Occasionally you get a good one!

Poor behaviour is not dealt with properly or expeditiously.
Awful place to work
Never have I worked anywhere In all my working years where the Manager has her chosen employees, her clique list of friends who socialise in work and out of it, they do not include or make you feel welcome if you dont fit into the clique
Work filled, interesting co-workers, questionable management
The job itself was from 8:30am - 4:30pm
I learned how to use GAP's, which was a system used by the tribunals

Colleagues were helpful and interesting to be around

Management however, would often make your life hard. Depending on which manager you dealt with, since problems with files moved under separate managers teams of expertise. Though the highest band of managers were fair the, ones often dealt with by most, the mid level managers, would often have an agenda that would see many people put in positions they didn't want.

The job itself was fun, as it felt good helping people and knowing that I was making sure people were having their cases heard quicker.
Believe In Yourself!
The job itself is very satisfying, probably why I remained here for so long. HMCTS is continuously changing, many permanent staff are merely waiting it out as they are nearing retirement and for others like myself, knowing that in the future I may have to leave the service, what happens to all my skills and knowledge acquired in the service?.....
Interesting job
THE Management at Derby are great and do support you I enjoyed my work and the work colleagues were always easy to get on with and very helpful and friendly.
enjoyed the job. not the environment
The work at the court was enjoyable and fast paced, training was informative but inconsistent which led to confusion or mistakes within the office, the management lacked leadership and support. Overall good hard work but bad working environment.
Admin Officer - County Court
My review is based on the fact that Im working for HMCTS, through a recruitment company.
As I'm an agency employee I don't have the same benefits of a directly employed member of staff. However, I enjoy working there and I have got a good management team, who treat me the same way as they treat the permanent staff. I would recommend working there. HMCTS

I would recommend HMCTS as an employer
Efficient, friendly and professional team
Quite possibly the best team I have been part of. Core roles were circulated among the team on a daily basis which helped to maintain everyones knowledge and a high team performance level. As a result it did not take me too long to learn what was required and understand the overall function of the team. Our managers were professional, fair and supportive. I did not dislike any part of the job. I found it very satisfying when I was able to make sure that all aspects of a court date that I was responsible for went smoothly without a hitch.
Poor Senior Management
Too many decisions made from people who have no understanding of the job. Too many people who have worked for HMCTS for too long and many of them are too stuck in their ways.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at HM Courts & Tribunals Service. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8