Highways England

Highways England Employee Reviews

United Kingdom95 reviews
Government owned organisation
Highways England staff have a wide range of expertise and skills and come from all parts of the community. As a member of Highways England you will be collaborating closely with our partners across the supply chain to help carry out a challenging programme of work
A high speed road & motorway environment
You need the training & experience to work in a very fast traffic work area the only thing between you & the traffic is cones you need to watch out for each other at all times & be professional in all your work .ps but I loved my job great lads too work with .
Planner
Highways England is a good place to work and fun with awesome team qualities in a vibrant office environment.

Management are approachable and great to work with.

However there is to much red tape in HE, and you only get to keep your job if you know someone who can pull strings otherwise your not so lucky,
Busy working environment
A busy work environment which works 24/7 to serve the people of the country travelling for either business or pleasure on a daily basis. Making sure customers got to the preferred location as safely as possible.
Good
Good environment
Good culture

Opportunity for multi site working

Agile working

Good training

Excellent office space

Work / life balance encouraged

Ideal location
good people, really poor management
Management blame culture, work place bullies

Actual work load is bliss, management are only interested in own progression and not the progression of the staff.
You fit or you dont end
I am a truck driver with numerous years experience, their try filled all the gaps in my know age bank, the way I east rested by them was embarrassing and disrespectful. Found they had no respect, them, for people with a social, disability
Team Lead
Over stretched, at work 24/7, resistant to change, competitive environment, no agility in problem solving, unchecked spending on projects that have little worth. No clear accountability to deliver solutions.
Pros
nice building
Cons
overloaded with administration
Good Environment
Working as Highways England has been interesting the people are welcoming and encouraging. Management are approachable if you need their advice and the work is varied. You are also able to add to you knowledge and experience
productive
The job can be relaxed and stressful depending on what your dealing with. It a safety critical job and can be dangerous.
you have to be prepared to work in live lanes of the motorway and drag cars off to a safe area. if you get it wrong Highways England will not support you.

interesting and rewarding job helping and supporting the public.
Poor management, Poor advancement
The pay doesn’t keep up with the cost of living. Top managers pay rise more than I earned in a year.
Poor decisions made by management. Little to no chance of advancing unless you are prepared to move areas

In the commercial area Work is dull and without reward. I have worked in far more progressive public sector organisations.
meh
Colleagues are lovely, work-life balance is good, delivery is prioritised over everything, not sure about the progression, "its who you know" is something you hear a lot
Tolls are now closed
The job was ok, we were taken over numerous times until the government scrapped the toll. I gave 30 years loyal service and was made redundant. i enjoyed working there
Colleagues Made the job
busy environment, not much job advancement within the contact centre, however there are others within the business.

As work can be busy/stressful, & contact centre is 24hrs, you rely on your colleagues a lot. Everyone is great, management can be questionable but all advisors are nice.
Stay away
There is no communication between HR negotiations and the manager on the job. This put me in a difficult position of having an agreement with HR and my new manager knowing nothing about it. There is little work across all departments and no rush to get anything done. There are lots of office politics which resulted in me handing my notice in.
Good
Good company to work for, provides great opportunity to demonstrate your initiative. Great team working spirit, openness and collaborative form of working.
Supervisors are little gods and no one can change it as the whole management culture, it is a dog eat dog, but colleagues are fun and the work can be fun at the time
Pros
you've got to have a thick skin
Cons
shifts and long hours
Very good employer
Extremely positive experience and would recommend to anyone looking for a career change to consider Highways England. The opportunity for growth is slightly hampered but could be achieved if you are prepared to wait.
Reasonable opportunities for hard working folk
Having worked for HE almost a good few years, I've found the local management and regional senior management very fair, encouraging and positive. The corporate narrative doesn't always seem to filter all the way down in reality to the workforce on the ground.
Really enjoy my work through highways England it is varied and everyday brings a new challenge...........,..............................................
Poor training/lack off
Fair company. HR is appalling, training was non existant. As long as you can put up a lack of training and development your job role should be fairly secure as they are still expanding the network.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highways England. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9