Highland Council Employee Reviews

Cheater Hunter
Cheater hunter (Current Employee) –  Highland28 November 2018
Department affairs right under managements nose , its disgusting , staff have no morals , then how can they be in charge of departments with trust, someboby should look into this storoway council employees lies sure its not right or conflicking interests at meetings and
Pros
Cons
No moral
Monotonous
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Inverness18 October 2018
Spent the summer out in the fresh air planting plants and cutting grass, not exactly mind blowing, but tiring and good exercise. didn't like cutting grass where dogs get walked though (eeww)!
Liars
Engineer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness-shire1 June 2018
Not to be trusted. Stitch up left right and centre .

They dont appreciated honesty and hardworking people.
They just want empty headed drones to tick boxes.
Committed to child development
Class Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lochaber22 April 2018
Highland council are committed to child development and bringing out the best in children and staff.
The council work hard to offer opportunities for staff for promotion and training.
Pros
Good training
Principal accounting technician (Current Employee) –  Inverness10 April 2018
Financial monitoring, meeting with managers and workforce. Administration duties. Fax, printing, filing, ad hoc. Report writing. International monitoring.
Diabolical place to work. Senior management dont know how to communicate and will stab you in the back and smile at your face - happened to me.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Highland24 January 2018
16 years of hard work down the tubes. Waste of time. Senior mgt pay lip service to staff but dont really care as long as their own jobs are safe. I could go on but I wont.....
Home Carer
Home Carer (Former Employee) –  Fortrose, Highland21 November 2017
I loved my job a Home Carer, unfortunately I hurt my back and could no longer use hoists etc to bath people....so satisfying I loved the elderly people making them comfortable etc My back is fine now.
Pros
So pleased to see you, as sometimes you were only person they saw all day
Cons
Leaving them alone.
Different
Community Worker (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland3 October 2017
A typical day would be coming in at 7, finding out what run you are doing, going to the lorry/van and getting that organised, head to area in highlands for work that day, complete tasks and head back to the yard.
The council reduced the wages which reduced the morale. Slowly it became a worse place to work but a great place for inspiration to find a new job.
secure and interesting place to work
Science Technician (Current Employee) –  Inverness, Highland7 September 2017
My day can be very varied depending of the needs of teachers and students at any given time. I have learned how to work effectively with a variety of people. I can meet their needs no matter how different they might be. I have learned how to prioritise tasks and to manage my time effectively.
Productive workplace
Community Service (Former Employee) –  Inverness28 September 2017
Enjoyed working within a team environment and developing skills in carpentry, woodwork, painting and decorating. Challenging however good to know that we were all working together to give back.
Great and friendly place to work
Tenant Liaison Officer (Current Employee) –  Inverness30 March 2017
Have been working here now since January. The team i am in is fantastic and it is like i have been here all my life. Fully flexible and allow you to build flexi time so you can take one day off and month. Salary is not the best, in comparison to similar job roles else where but better than most.
Pros
Flexi time - can start any time between 6am and 10am and finish anytime after 4pm up until 8pm
Cons
salary but still pays better than most
Enjoyed helping the public
Community Works Operative (Former Employee) –  Nairn Scotland8 October 2017
Enjoyed my seasonal work there,especially recycling yard,enjoyed helping the public chatting to locals,gave me job satisfaction,especially helping elderly
Great place to work, great job
Cook/Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Skye2 February 2017
Varied job with lots of different tasks to be done each day, busyday every day feeding & looking after secondry school children. Also responsible for preparing & sending out to 2 other primary schools as well as a day care centre . Had to work well within a team but also had spells off working on own . Really enjoyed job & was good at job but due to relocation had to give up.
Pros
great hours & holidays
Stressed environment
Senior Councillor (Former Employee) –  Inverness25 June 2017
Local authorities are stressful places to work because of financial constraints imposed under Westminster austerity.

A management culture which does not normally confirm to commercial best practice undermines effective delivery.
Work
Customer Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Alness Service Point10 August 2016
I worked for 23 years in the Highland Council but was recently offered early retirement/voluntary redundancy as part of a cost cutting exercise. I worked in various roles during this time from clerical/admin posts to latterly Customer Services Officer at the Service Centre in Alness. I was used to working to tight deadline and dealing with a varied selection of issues. My main roles were working with customers with special needs, i.e. Blue Badge/National entitlement card applications and bookings for interpreters for Deaf Clients.
Pros
Good wages/secure employment
Cons
Poor management
challenging experiance
IT&Hospitality Instructor / Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend Education Center28 April 2016
working with out of mainstream school students was a very challenging experience which i enjoyed to see the students thrive and continue with their education at a happier level in their lives and go on to be striving young students achieving the continued education they never thought they would be able to achieve. very proud to have been a part of helping them to achieve this goal
Pros
goals
Cons
abusive behavior
We all worked well together and all pulled together to get the work done
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Highlands of scotland27 January 2013
No two days were the same,we worked in the highland of Scotland,the seanery was fantastic.We could repair a bridge one day,go fill a pot hole in,repair a culvert which had collapsed,put sand on an oil spillage from a car accident,unblock a drain or even get called out to remove a dead deer which had been hit by a car.my co-workers were great we all worked together.The hardest job was gritting in winter at minus 15 degrees and the best part of the job was the senary.
Pros
lovley place to work
Cons
cold wet winters
A very varied job in a busy environment
pupil support assistant (Current Employee) –  Dornoch, SCT30 April 2014
A fair company. I enjoy working in a school but feel that I need to have more to challenge me. I am part time due to working school hours. My job is very varied as it involves supporting a variety of different needs. I support in science, drama and music. Also I take s group of students around work placements for their Rural skills qualification. I look after the school garden, the recycling, and the Ecoschools.
The hardest part of my job is finding a way to help students with additional needs.
The best part is finding that way to help.
I have several co workers and we work as a team. Our management is the senior teaching staff.
Pros
love working with children
Cons
cannot gain promotion in this position
Excellent wages and excellent employee relationships
Cleaning Operative (Former Employee) –  Inverness, SCT2 September 2015
Typical day is active and other employees are easy to get on with

Excellent wage and pension scheme.

Management is good but with any management system there are sometimes breakdowns.

Very good employer to work for and usually your job is secure and there is room for advancing.
Pros
wage, pension, employees
Cons
little you can do to change how you do things
Childrens services worker
Children's Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Inverness, SCT9 February 2015
This was a project role, we built the role from the ground up based on the idea that there should be somebody in school working specifically for the children at risk of failing.
From this idea and the way we worked it 60 positions where created through out Highland to carry on the work in every school.
Pros
Great freedom to create
Cons
salary