Highland Council Employee Reviews

Should come with WARNING label
Repair scheduler (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland2 June 2018
This role was an experience to say the less. It seam to be lack of training is continuously, even when voice in meeting with team manger to dept mananger. The staff on desk two face as i hap the experience my shelf and seen first discrimination and bulling from management to staff members.the tradesmen were nice poeple to get on with and other location where nice mmbers of staff. You where expected to do alot with training or understand of areas. All i say be beware and keep an eye out dragers to come out.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Constrain to shifts, Lack of training, bad management from top to bottom
Liars
Engineer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness-shire1 June 2018
Not to be trusted. Stitch up left right and centre .

They dont appreciated honesty and hardworking people.
They just want empty headed drones to tick boxes.
Principal accounting technician (Current Employee) –  Inverness10 April 2018
Financial monitoring, meeting with managers and workforce. Administration duties. Fax, printing, filing, ad hoc. Report writing. International monitoring.
Diabolical place to work. Senior management dont know how to communicate and will stab you in the back and smile at your face - happened to me.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Highland24 January 2018
16 years of hard work down the tubes. Waste of time. Senior mgt pay lip service to staff but dont really care as long as their own jobs are safe. I could go on but I wont.....
Home Carer
Home Carer (Former Employee) –  Fortrose, Highland21 November 2017
I loved my job a Home Carer, unfortunately I hurt my back and could no longer use hoists etc to bath people....so satisfying I loved the elderly people making them comfortable etc My back is fine now.
Pros
So pleased to see you, as sometimes you were only person they saw all day
Cons
Leaving them alone.
Enjoyed helping the public
Community Works Operative (Former Employee) –  Nairn Scotland8 October 2017
Enjoyed my seasonal work there,especially recycling yard,enjoyed helping the public chatting to locals,gave me job satisfaction,especially helping elderly
Different
Community Worker (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland3 October 2017
A typical day would be coming in at 7, finding out what run you are doing, going to the lorry/van and getting that organised, head to area in highlands for work that day, complete tasks and head back to the yard.
The council reduced the wages which reduced the morale. Slowly it became a worse place to work but a great place for inspiration to find a new job.
Productive workplace
Community Service (Former Employee) –  Inverness28 September 2017
Enjoyed working within a team environment and developing skills in carpentry, woodwork, painting and decorating. Challenging however good to know that we were all working together to give back.
secure and interesting place to work
Science Technician (Current Employee) –  Inverness, Highland7 September 2017
My day can be very varied depending of the needs of teachers and students at any given time. I have learned how to work effectively with a variety of people. I can meet their needs no matter how different they might be. I have learned how to prioritise tasks and to manage my time effectively.
Stressed environment
Senior Councillor (Former Employee) –  Inverness25 June 2017
Local authorities are stressful places to work because of financial constraints imposed under Westminster austerity.

A management culture which does not normally confirm to commercial best practice undermines effective delivery.
good working environment
Science Technician (Current Employee) –  Inverness, Highland25 May 2017
nice staff colleagues, very supportive.
varied workload
no two days the same
nice places to work.
flexible working
no pressure to do your job
the kind of work that you want to come to work in the morning
Pros
4.5 day week
Cons
Great and friendly place to work
Tenant Liaison Officer (Current Employee) –  Inverness30 March 2017
Have been working here now since January. The team i am in is fantastic and it is like i have been here all my life. Fully flexible and allow you to build flexi time so you can take one day off and month. Salary is not the best, in comparison to similar job roles else where but better than most.
Pros
Flexi time - can start any time between 6am and 10am and finish anytime after 4pm up until 8pm
Cons
salary but still pays better than most
Various opportunities
Learning Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tain, Highland23 February 2017
Great opportunities for different roles within this company... from education to general labour, good rates of pay and always bonus of school holidays! 👍🏼
Changes
Clerical Assistant - at last post (Former Employee) –  Nairn, Highland22 February 2017
I took voluntary redundancy - having worked with Highland Council for 27 years - there was a lot of uneasiness and felt it was the right time to leave
Pros
sickness pay
Cons
There are a few
Great place to work, great job
Cook/Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Skye2 February 2017
Varied job with lots of different tasks to be done each day, busyday every day feeding & looking after secondry school children. Also responsible for preparing & sending out to 2 other primary schools as well as a day care centre . Had to work well within a team but also had spells off working on own . Really enjoyed job & was good at job but due to relocation had to give up.
Pros
great hours & holidays
Bught Nurseries was a great place to work but with cut backs you had to make do and mend !
Charge Hand (Former Employee) –  Bught Nurseries1 February 2017
Was left to run it basically ourselves, got all jobs done and on time , had hassles to get overtime for staff . The staff I worked with within the nurseries were a good and reliable and we could work as a team or individuals.
Pros
Non
Cons
Normal hours
Work
Customer Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Alness Service Point10 August 2016
I worked for 23 years in the Highland Council but was recently offered early retirement/voluntary redundancy as part of a cost cutting exercise. I worked in various roles during this time from clerical/admin posts to latterly Customer Services Officer at the Service Centre in Alness. I was used to working to tight deadline and dealing with a varied selection of issues. My main roles were working with customers with special needs, i.e. Blue Badge/National entitlement card applications and bookings for interpreters for Deaf Clients.
Pros
Good wages/secure employment
Cons
Poor management
I worked as a volunteer at Lochaber High School
Voluntary care worker (Former Employee) –  Fort William2 August 2016
I worked as a volunteer at Lochaber High School during the summer holidyas helping staff with young children who were participating in activities and sports. I showed children how to do the activities and encouraged them to take part.
Pros
Good work experience
Cook 1 (Former Employee) –  Inverness8 July 2016
Great part time job . good team , busy job , well run by management . all school holidays off , good rate of pay . good work environment .
Pros
good work enviroment
Cons
part time contract
challenging experiance
IT&Hospitality Instructor / Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend Education Center28 April 2016
working with out of mainstream school students was a very challenging experience which i enjoyed to see the students thrive and continue with their education at a happier level in their lives and go on to be striving young students achieving the continued education they never thought they would be able to achieve. very proud to have been a part of helping them to achieve this goal
Pros
goals
Cons
abusive behavior