Hickory's Smokehouse BBQ Employee Reviews

Busy place with some mean colegues and managers who makes your day all the time
BARTENDER (Former Employee) –  Chester16 November 2018
Moneywise is not so bad,just the colective should be more united and not so mean to each other.to much evilness arround there.And the hourly pay should be bigger than minimum.
Pros
free meal, tips
Cons
Great first job and very flexible hours
Bartender trainer (Current Employee) –  Burton green, Coventry9 September 2018
My job at hickorys smokehouse started as the venue at burton green opened, and I have remained at the company until present day, the opportunity to progress is outstanding and anyone that is looking for a good first job should definitely look into hickorys.
Pros
Free team meals, upto 50% discount on food while on shift, 20% when off shift
Good workplace
Hickory’s Smokehouse (Current Employee) –  Worcester19 August 2018
Very fun very active we greet all the guests the same as we would with our team just a happy place to be everyone’s very friendly and would love to meet new people as they are greeted at our doors
Pros
Free lunches
Poor culture and motivation
Busser (Former Employee) –  Rhôs-on-Sea28 July 2018
The restaurant on the whole has a poor view on culture, they expect everyone to have an unrealistic work ethic. This demotivated me and I found it difficult to discuss problems with my manager due to the lack of empathy and support offered.
Pros
Nice food given
Cons
Too much pressure to work continuously hard throughout the day with limited breaks
5 stars more like 0 stars
Chef (Current Employee) –  Southport18 June 2018
Started off great but soon the true colours shines though, expected to do 3 people’s work
For one wage promised pay rise after 3 months never got they bang on about southern hospitality and how great it is and how it should be imbedded into
Our way of life, it just ashame it stops at the training team it just like any other company smaller portions higher prices MONEY MONEY MONEY , shame as it probably was a great company to work for if it stayed humble enough
Pros
Weekly pay(not great for the work you do) tips (if and when)
Cons
Long days low pay poor work life balance if your in t clique your made if not then find another job
Exellent Employer
Maintainance person (Current Employee) –  Southport, Merseyside7 March 2018
I work on the maintainance team , I've had 37 years in maintain but working for Hickorys open a new experience .A pleasant working environment.
This is created by the management team , they motivate and encourage the workforce .
The most enjoyable part of my job is tge people I work with , it's a team with one objective "Success "
Pros
Nice working environment.
Cons
Massively undervaluing and unsatisfactory place
Chef (Current Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire4 March 2018
Being a team player is not rewarded at all, preferential treatment based on given person's origin, constant swaying in terms of work benefits as Bike to Work scheme, NVQ arrangements et cetera.
Pros
Free food, good working hours
Cons
Preferential treatment, abuse of one's willingness to take one for the team
Lovely company and staff, poor management
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Wall6 January 2018
They push you hard (not a complaint) but they recruit young staff and tend to walk all over them as a 16/17 year old isn't going to stand up for themselves. Wages are just above the minimum for your age group and benefits are decent.
Pros
free food when working, 20% discount when dining
Rubbish
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Southport, Merseyside6 December 2017
Was treated as though I didn’t care. Was going to put a lot of effort into this company only to be let down. Not a great place to start and not good if you have a family as they don’t seem to care!
Pros
Wage
Cons
Minimum time off/ maximum hours so wage drops below minimum wage.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Castle Bromwich, West Midlands2 October 2017
Implement policies and protocols that will maintain future restaurant operations.
Train new and current team on proper customer service practices.....
Pros
Great team spirit
Productive, friendly environment
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Castle Bromwich, West Midlands5 September 2017
I had learned how to interact with customers in a restraunt environment. All managers were stern but fair, the hardest part of the job was working in areas where I felt uncomfortable.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a wide variety of team members, specialising in different abilities
Pros
Free lunches, friendly team
Cons
Long hours, slightly short staffed
Fun Work-Plac
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Rhôs-on-Sea2 August 2017
My typical day at work would be full of laughter and joy as I work with most of my friends. Also, getting to know different types of people through out the day would at times be interesting. The turn over of people is amazing, so if you had one bad tables guaranteed the rest would cheer you up. Hickory's has helped me with my confidence, as we are trained to engage with guests, ask them about their day, make their experience and you memorable. Any complaints or problems that occur the management team would always be a helping hand. The hardest part about the job would be trying to keep up at a fast pace, and to maintain your section. However, to do this all you have to do is think ahead.
Pros
Working Family, Enjoyable
Cons
Long hours, Not enough pay
To much work for the pay
Kitchen porter (Former Employee) –  West kirby birkenhead27 July 2017
Bankers with a w very mouthy head chief came in drunk and got fired . Was not sorry to here that.the place is great if your in between your home work .the pay is an insult to your intelligence. Long hours very long no extra pay for bank holidays or the weekend.if the chief got the Rota wrong .you wear sent home and told to come back .which messed your day up. I worked hard there .then they started leaving me on my own if it was not bizy .in the end I walked out it was a carp place to work everyone I started with left within 2 to 4 months. Would not recommended this place to any one. Sweet shop .
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
To many to mention
Fun, hard, somewhat rewarding work.
Bar Manager (Current Employee) –  Rhôs-on-Sea26 July 2017
It's good on the whole.
Very hard, constant workload. Great clientele.
Great workplace relationships. Kind colleagues.
Understanding management but can be selfish sometimes.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
A lot of long hours
training and learning
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Castle Bromwich, West Midlands13 June 2017
working at Hickory's taught me how to bartend quickly and efficiently whilst making sure the guests were entertained, during my short time there i learnt loads about products and the trade its self and i got to meet a lot of people that are local to my area.
Pros
amazing food and amazing team
Cons
Excellent training, fun place to work, unsocial hours
Senior in-store bar trainer (Former Employee) –  Rhôs-on-Sea6 March 2017
The training I received was amazing and got on with the team. The hours could be extremely long and at undesirable times, sometimes I would work over 14 hours in a day.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours, 14+ regularly
A typical day at work
Waitress (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Rhôs-on-Sea15 May 2016
The job role was extremely intense, it is a huge and popular restaurant and so it was constantly busy, pushing you to your working capabilities. However, overall I have gained a substantial amount of catering experience and transferable skills from this part time job which I am extremely grateful for. My confidence in customer service and communications has improved massively, which is beneficial when applying for future jobs.
Pros
good hours
Cons
stressful environment
Larder Chef
Larder chef (Former Employee) –  Chester, ENG4 June 2015
Friendly people, close knit team and a good working atmosphere. Management always helpful and willing to listen to any issues I had, learned a lot of culinary knowledge in the process. However, not much social life, missing out on breaks while busy. Unsociable hours.
Pros
Free lunches, people.
Cons
Unsociable hours, no breaks during busy periods