Hestia Employee Reviews

Fun and helpful environment
Human Resources Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  London1 October 2019
I am happy to work in a place where I know that we are helping others in need, I am surrounded by a group of professional colleagues and inspirational people.I am happy to work in the company.
Do not work for this company
Support worker full time (Former Employee) –  Hillingdon23 August 2019
7 area managers in 5 years. They talk the good talk but do not care about their employees. Management break all rules and procedures then leave before they are fired leaving services in turmoil. Never fully staffed so other members of staff are carrying out 2 roles at a time. Managers have no Training therefore unable to support staff members.
Bullying and harassing in management.Discrimination and employejng family and friend and if you challenge them
They find a way to fire you. Il be hanging in my resignation soon
Cons
Worth waking up for in the morning
Recruitment Manager (Current Employee) –  London16 August 2019
I genuinely love my job. I have been with Hestia for 3 years. I identify as disabled and from day one received a huge amount of support from my Director allowing me to work full-time. It is hard work with hectic days but it is it immensely rewarding. I know I can get a lot more money for the same role elsewhere and although salary is important, job satisfaction so much more for me. Yes there are companies that pay more as there are companies that pay less but I have personally seen talent nurtured and grow in their career, myself included.
People have a real passion for the work Hestia does and although I hate that alarm early in the morning, I don't dread going to work as my team is absolutely amazing and supportive.

There is an increase in face to face training available with the portfolio of courses constantly expanding. There is a real culture of learning and development. There are roles which offer flexible working with the core hours between 10am and 4pm.I am an early bird so get in early and leave at 4pm. Others prefer to get in at 10am and leave later.

Hestia is constantly bringing in new services and I for one can't wait to see where the charity goes. It has been an exciting journey so far.
Pros
great team environment, supportive management, flexible working, good benefits.
Cons
Pay can always be more of course and a health benefit would be great.
Awful experience - terrible management
Senior Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London23 July 2019
It’s very corporate and although they talk a good game they do not treat their staff or service users with respect. Petty inexperienced management who only care about statistics and outcomes but show little understanding of the client group.
Cons
Hestia is middle of the road charity three out of five
Worker Housing and support Croydon (Current Employee) –  Croydon7 July 2019
Hestia has its rewards with TOIL working Monday to Friday its training is poor its support loading with local authorities can be strained. It suffers from
Large turn over of staf
fun and beneficial
Children's Summer Play Scheme Volunteer (Former Employee) –  East London23 June 2019
It helped me gain an insight into the lives of families who have been through hard and difficult situations, therefore I have learned a lot whilst working.
Pros
friendly colleagues
Cons
Values based, service user led, supportive organisation to work for.
Head of Operations (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 June 2019
I have recently joined Hestia from a different background and I am very confident and pleased with my decision to join.

Hestia's values; Respectful, Genuine, Dedicated, Collaborative and Courageous are very much at the heart of what Hestia is all about and it is acted upon every day in the office, in the services and by staff.

I have been so pleasantly surprised to see truly, how service users contribute to Hestia's vision and day to day delivery. Service users are welcomed, encouraged and facilitated to influence and participate in designing; front line work all the way through to the work of the senior operations team, team of directors and the CEO. It is certainly unlike anything I have seen elsewhere.

There is a lot of work, however this is replicated across similar sectors and I take responsibility to manage my own workload, however my manager and peers are also considerate and conscious of my work load and are on hand to support if I need them.

Budgets will always be a challenge in these sectors and I would say resilience and innovation and key attributes which will support you in any role in the sector and at Hestia. Especially when trying to stretch the budget to best deliver for service users, budget holders, fellow colleagues and benefits for the organisation. This balancing act will always bring its challenges in every organisation.

The team I am working with are very experienced, dedicated and a pleasure to work with. From my experience so far, I have seen very positive working environments at Hestia at all levels.

Although Hestia is championing
  more... political change at senior levels of Government to create a positive impact on the sectors Hestia works in - there is no internal politics which I have seen hamper progress in other agencies, which I welcome.

There are plenty of opportunities within Hestia and as an agency close to celebrating its 50th anniversary next year there is job security with them.

I am genuinely please I have joined Hestia, I truly believe in what we stand for and what we are delivering and seek to deliver and am proud to work for Hestia.

If you are thinking about applying, I would encourage you too - even if you just come to the interview - I had a very positive experience at Interview earlier this year and ended up leaving my old job (which I was very happy in) to join Hestia and play a role in supporting vulnerable people in London.
Pros
Hestia Rewards
Heavy workload 38 clients
Floating Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London9 April 2019
A typical day at Hestia is to see as many clients as possible. They have gone for a contract where you have to do 31 hours in a 39 hour week excluding travel time and including a 7.5 hour duty day per week.

You have no energy for a work life balance you spend a lot of your weekend worrying and catching up as you have to take a laptop home.

Mental health on employees is burnt out most staff leave, including the managers the head office is not supportive its all a numbers game.
Pros
clients, colleagues
Cons
long hours, high caseload, mental health, physical health, emotional
productive and fun job
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 January 2019
it is very special ti be able to help peope who really need help at all. I have learned to be more kind, patient and affectionate with the people I care for. the most difficult part of working is physical and mental effort, the most pleasant to perceive as they thank you without saying a word. Helping in what I can.
Pros
good places
Cons
far away sometimes
no help
Floating Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London23 October 2018
As floating support worker the job was hard as there wasn't any real help given to the people who needed it.

the management is poor staff always leave.
Good start up job for experience
REFUGE CASE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Borough9 October 2018
Through working for Hestia I was able to get good experience in the field and use initiative. The training, pay and management weren't great but gave me enough experience to be able to apply for the job I really wanted.

Good organisation to get experience.
They also encourage staff to use initiative and share ideas.
Not the best place to start out
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond upon Thames, Greater London19 September 2018
Wow.. where do I start from... this is a word of advice... if you are just starting out you career, it is best to stay away from this organisation... the organisation is a target driven one, only caring about how many clients you have and never about the wellbeing of the staff.. or rather me as an individual... worse of all is you are expected to use your money to travel and buy drinks for client before its reimbursed at the end of the month... in my view this is not right, what if the staff cant afford to travel to meet the client due to trsnsport fare or cant buy drinks for the client as she or he has no money.... i still cant get my head around that, and organisation should make you better off financially not leave you dipping your hands in your pocket for a client....get your staff prepaid oyster....and allowance for tea and coffee... not sure why no one has pointed out this major flaw of how..in my opinion this is exploitation of staff.. no wonder people are leaving everyday.. The is a view of my personal experience
Dont even get me started with the bulk of administrative work just to claim your expenses back..
Very Good company Culure
Volunteer Roles (Former Employee) –  London16 July 2018
As a voluntary service there was no pay. However I received great job satisfaction from working with people that need help and advise.
Staff are friendly and very accommodating.
A difficult place to work with a lack of support
Mental Health Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  London17 May 2018
I worked at Hestia Housing & Support for around two years and worked in two different services. I found the management difficult in both and there is an organisational culture of blame and bullying. The opportunities available for progression are poor and you are often discouraged from wanting to progress. The management style is over powering and creates a difficult atmosphere. The services themselves have the right aim and could potentially provide high quality support however this is not possible due to organisational flaws. Staff turnover is a big issue due to lack of support and opportunity.
Moving on
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 February 2018
Happy to move on. Good for people starting their career for the experience. Sadly I think big org turn into people commodity rather than support, if you see the wood beyond the trees, however they do try.
driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London31 January 2018
I worked as a driver for Hestia, i delivered and picked up everything needed for the company.
The company had a good working environment with friendly workmates.
Experience
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 January 2018
An excellent way to build experience if you are looking to grow and learn. You just right into it and adjust very quickly. If you like working with people this is definitely for you
Pros
Experience, educational
Job roles change often
Support Worker Mental Health (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London15 August 2017
It is a reasonable place to work if your have the correct senior/management support. I had 4 managers in the last 5 years and they all have different ideas of how to run things. Hestia seem to like restructures!!! No pay increases for over 7 years for front line staff.
Pros
Is Local and The Staff are supportive
Cons
only half hour lunch. 39 hours a week.
Poor management, IT services and bureaucracy
Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 April 2017
If you are desperate then go here, otherwise it's best avoided.

The organisation has over the top bureaucratic processes, for which would otherwise be a good job.
Pros
Decent pay compared to other companies, for same role
Cons
IT system is none operational half the time, bullying style management
Great team at Bromley Tenancy Support.
Floating Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Orpington, Greater London30 March 2017
Great team. The work is hard. Client group of over 30 vulnerable adults with complex needs. Basically doing the work of a social worker but on less pay. High work satisfaction at times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hestia. Our community is ready to answer.