Hertfordshire Police

Hertfordshire Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom10 reviews
Very lonely
I found it quite a lonely place to work in and the shifts were long. I did enjoy the job the further I got into. The training I found difficult but I got there in the end and the training team were very supportive as I did struggle at times.

The shifts were long and it was difficult to get time off. Due to a kidney condition I have the shift work really started to affect my health so unfortunately I had to give the job up. Had the job been 9 to 5 Monday to Saturday I would have continued the role
Good job, just not appreciated and paid enough
I don't think many people need telling what the Police do, its simple but we have to put up with a lot of grief and poor money. The hours are unsociable but thats to be expected as its shift work, you get us to this but become very isolated in the Police bubble.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Not being appreciated
30 Memorable Years
Over 30 years of public service under generally good efficient management. A great sense of camaraderie in an unforgiving environment, providing a good and often unheralded service to the public.
Pros
Sense of camaraderie
Cons
Long unsociable hours.
Incident lead job, stressful but can at times be rewarding
This is a stressful workplace due to volume of work and the content of the calls often dealt with. The work is often varied , however the work tends to far exceed the number of staff available. Current management I believe are struggling due to workload and coming amalgamation with two other forces, which makes them seem ineffectual to their staff. There is not a lot of time for workplace culture, but overall people work in good humour with their colleagues. There is a big age split in the room with many young staff and not so many older experienced staff. Hardest part of the job is the often harrowing content of the work, and lack of time to form friendships with colleagues. The most enjoyable can also be the very varied content of the work, and you can sometimes develop very good friendships. Personally I no longer find the role fulfilling or enjoyable, probably due to my length of service, however newer staff often find it quite exciting and enjoyable.
Pros
Pension, full sick pay.
Cons
Long hours, difficulty getting leave, not very competitive pay
Many different roles
Through my 30 years service I had many different roles. These included general police duties, rural beat officer, control room operative, traffic officer duties with passing an advanced course. This enabled me to extend my knowledge of vehicles which included driving manuals and automatics. Covering the M25,A1 and M1
Pros
Good variation of roles
Force Communications Room
Very difficult to get time off, often restrictions put in place with total ban on taking leave during peak times. Duties can and are changed frequently and you cannot refuse. Job itself good but management micro manage and change the goal posts constantly. Good for learning skills of organisation, taking control of situations and dealing with difficult issues and people.
Pros
payand security
Cons
unable to get leave short or long term, dont bank on your days off as they could be changed as could your shift start and end times.
Great
Great place with great people with many opportunities and a great management team. Dealing with something different everyday it is amazing.
Fantastic working environment
Friendly and helpful staff. Easy commuting and parking if using your own vehicle. The working environment is great with a good variation of workload and tasks.
Pros
Parking and commuting
Cons
Canteen food menu could do with more selection and hotdesking
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Hertfordshire Police?
public servant
working here was along time ago,but my general duties were to make a presence on the street and try and help the public in any way I could,usually by just reassuring them or giving them directions to somewhere, and in the case of the older generation just a quick chat.Team work here was of the utmost importance and the leadership of the higher ranks was always there.helping the public was the best part of this job.
Pros
your own uniform
Cons
long hours, lots of paper work
Volunteering in the big bad world!
good job and very front facing with the community. getting involved in every situation possible.