Hertfordshire County Council

Hertfordshire County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom144 reviews
Working with schools, and partners was an enjoyable part of the job.
A great company to work for with opportunities for career development. I started in an advisory role and moved in to other roles as services developed across the Local Authority.
23 March 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback about working for HCC! We appreciate you taking your time to review us.
productive and good atmosphere to work
Great place to work, to gain experience and to really blossom as a health and social support worker.
The staffs are easy to work with, friendly and there are opportunities to grow into management position.
12 March 2020
I was able to gain a wide range of new skills and the experience I gained was invaluable.
Although a large expansive site, it is DDA compliant in every way. You meet a lot of really friendly, polite and considerate people.

If I hadn't moved house, I think I would have liked to have remained in their employment, but the commuting was not feasible.
20 February 2020
Awful place to work
Awful place to work.

Cannot park most days and waste time having to drive into town and pay for parking.

Pay is very low in comparison for same admin roles

Elsewhere.

Paid very low.
17 February 2020
Thank you for your feedback regarding working for Hertfordshire County Council. We would encourage you to contact us by emailing: hr.recruitmentorders@hertfordshire.gov.uk . Any communication will be treated in strict confidence. We look forward to hearing from you.
Ok place, different to being a customer
Before starting I was given a induction on the place and a information booklet to take home and memories all the information. I learnt what was needed for my job title which was all the software on the computer. The hardest part of the job was the extreme nature of the time spent. AS it is customer based some periods would be very long and boring and others would be very busy that there was no time to sit down. The most enjoyable was the benefits as a member of staff as I was in the library I could have extra time in borrowing books and using the e books for free whereas other people had to pay for it.

It is completely different to sitting as a customer in there. A lot more is expected . Also it can be very noisy at times especially with a child group every Tuesday morning at 10-11.
17 February 2020
Management, people skills and organisational development can be improved in stressful working environments.

Overall its a good working place to work for.
13 February 2020
Bullying, Harrissment, and prejudice.
Worked here for years.
Had to leave when the bullying and harrissment got too far.

Personel are the biggest problem,

Back the management, rather than the staff.

Blame culture is rife.
23 January 2020
We are sorry to hear that your view of your time with Hertfordshire County Council was not positive. The wellbeing of our employees is of paramount importance to us and we have a zero tolerance approach to bullying. As such, we would very much wish to discuss the matter further, and would encourage you to contact us by emailing: hr.recruitmentorders@hertfordshire.gov.uk. Any communication will be treated in strict confidence. We look forward to hearing from you.
Hertfordshire County Council
Interview procedure quite straight forward. Clearance took longer than expected as checks are thorough. Pay not fantastic but I’m working with good people and live close to my workplace. Overall a good experience. I’ve been employed for nearly 5 months now.
30 December 2019
fun job
I was a lollipop lady last year, it was a fun job and my trainer was very helpful, the job helped me interact with all sorts of people from teachers to parent.
9 December 2019
Confusing Enviroment
The majority of the time you are left to figure out what is going on around you i.e. major changes, there is not active management. Colleagues are often fixated on what you are doing rather than theirselves and although they promote working as a team this is not the case rather, they will bother you when something is needed and when you are of no use to them they are unwilling to utilize your potential.
2 December 2019
We are sorry to hear about your experience with Hertfordshire County Council. As such, we would very much wish to discuss the matter further, and would encourage you to contact us by emailing: hrservicedesk@hertfordshire.gov.uk. Any communication will be treated in strict confidence. We look forward to hearing from you.
Racism
Rascism must be overcome at all costs it exists and deeply rooted in hertfordshire county council. Also older management team need fresh appraisal and recycling.
2 December 2019
We are sorry to hear about your views of the Council.The wellbeing of our employees is of paramount importance to us and we have a zero tolerance approach to racism. As such, we would very much wish to discuss the matter further, and would encourage you to contact us by emailing: HRServiceDesk@hertfordshire.gov.uk Any communication will be treated in strict confidence. We look forward to hearing from you
An okay place to work, but underpaid
A council that tries to do it's best for the taxpayer, but creativity s stifled by Political Correctness, and an atmosphere that once in it's almost impossible to be fired, leading to laziness and ineptitude
22 November 2019
ASYE Social Worker
Hertfordshire County Council require newly qualified social workers to complete a 6 month period of training on top of your degree in order for your to be accepted as an ASYE Social Worker in Hertfordshire.

During this time they effectively re-train you; which is not required at all and then put so much pressure on you to perform assessments that you feel like you cannot cope.

I was told to go and see a counsellor and also told to go to the doctor and go on anti-depressants. All y management.

I was constantly reminded of reasons why I may be struck off which created a fear in me and felt I was working in a management led blame culture.
15 November 2019

The ASYE is a national programme delivered by the majority of Local Authorities. Participation in the ASYE supports newly qualified social workers (NQSWs) to consolidate their degree learning, develop capability and strengthen their professional confidence in an employment environment. Hertfordshire has recently reviewed their programme and is delivering this with NQSWs based in teams across Children’s Services, with on-going support from a centrally-located, dedicated ASYE Assessor. We offer a 12-month training programme, Action Learning Sets, group supervisions and mentoring, as well as regular drop-in support for NQSWs and Team Managers and a number of digital learning opportunities (pod casts, e-learning, subscriptions such as Research in Practice and Community Care Inform).

We would encourage you to contact us by emailing: hrservicedesk@hertfordshire.gov.uk.
A great place to start
I did my apprenticeship here which was my first ever job. The company had a great process for interviews and for looking after their apprentices. A good apprentice wage, but the permanent wage was fairly low. Pension was amazing. Flexi-time. Amazing experience.
12 November 2019
Terrible
Not the best company to work for. Potential for promotions etc afe next to none, its not happening. They are so stuck in their old ways, that giving them new ideas is futile. The company is not worth thr hassle unless, you're looking to retire and dont mind working in a monotonous way.
12 November 2019
Very Supportive staff
Was there for my final year statutory placement. Really enjoyed the experience. The staff were very supportive and the training was well structured. The place has a lot of resources in place for learning.
17 October 2019
great company to work for
great company to work for. really enjoy my job. Although really cold working outside in the winter and really hot occasionally to work in the summer.. provides us with a summer and winter uniform
Pros
meet a lot of people
Cons
too short hours
15 October 2019
Good
good very good outstanding amazing interesting funny great loved it challenging interesting hard working formal good spelling interesting spreadsheets
10 October 2019
Good
A good and enjoyable company to work for, I enjoyed my time with this company, good communication between staff members and staff all very nice and helpful
4 October 2019
Productive and fun workplace
A typical day to me is very fun and enjoyable, for me and my colleagues.
All support staff and mangers are very supportive and encourage me to achieve my absolute best. I cant quite put my finger on the hardest part of the job but i would say it is leaving my early.
30 September 2019
Terrible place
Inherent bullying culture, working long hours often unpaid overtime, no support, no effective line management.
Promotion not based on ability, no desire to address difficult issues, fearful of the political correctness police
Pros
None, not even job security anymore
Cons
No parking, long unpaid hours, ineffective management
30 September 2019
We are sorry to hear of your negative experience with Hertfordshire County Council. The wellbeing of our employees is of paramount importance to us and we have a zero tolerance approach to bullying. As such, we would very much wish to discuss the matter further, and would encourage you to contact us by emailing: hr.recruitmentorders@hertfordshire.gov.uk. Any communication will be treated in strict confidence. We look forward to hearing from you.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hertfordshire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.