Heron Foods Employee Reviews

Was a good job for simplicity but being thorough
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rhyl6 June 2018
I enjoyed the atmosphere of my colleges, the customers were nice,
I learnt how to become efficient on the till and to reduce a line quickly. I didn't have very many hours available to me so I moved on.
Pros
Nice colleges
Cons
Not enough hours
Hard labour
HGV Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Melton4 June 2018
Driving is the easy bit, very tight at most shops but if you've been driving a few years you'll manage. The hard part of the job is getting the cages into the shops. Some are very heavy, and poorly packed . Push a cage up a hill, over pot holes and then go back and pick all the stock up that has fallen out . The waste cardboard has to be returned to Melton . This is packed worse than you could ever imagine, blowing away if it's windy, often all falling out of the cage as soon as it is moved. None of the management have done the job so any constructive ideas to make the job run smoother is looked upon as moaning. 5 on 3 off means you have 2 weekends off every 5 weeks . If your face fits the job won't be as bad as it could be , but you'll need to be good a biting your tongue.
Pros
3 days off after 5
Cons
Weekends, hard labour .
Fun but overworked
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcestershire21 May 2018
Fun and busy job providing you could get the customers, ridiculous rules given out by management. More likely to be hired if you're younger due to awful hours and the companies ability to brainwash. Pay above minimum wage but still didn't get paid enough for everything you're expected to do. Often worked past my shift unpaid for as no time management
Pros
Cons
Stupid hours
fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  York21 May 2018
brilliant place to work, working as a team with staff, working with food, dealing with customers , deliveries,serving, and till work,cleaning after shift,doing over time on a 16 hour contract
Poor Ethics and bad work life balance.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom16 May 2018
Worked alot of hours a week with very little appreciation. The Area manager was not very good at his job and he was very rude. Difficult to keep staff as they only employ Part time sales assistants on a 12 hour contract to save money on national insurance payments. Ethics are poor to non exsistant. Stay away from this company.
Pros
Cons
Poor work life balance
Lots of Uncertinty
Purchase Ledger Clerk (Current Employee) –  Store Support Offices13 May 2018
Since being bought out by B&M nobody knows what the next year or so will hold for employees of Heron, lots of people leaving, lots of changes not always for the better
Awful place
Finance (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire4 May 2018
I worked at the head office in Malton.
The staff are arrogant and ignorant apart from the odd person, the management haven't got a clue of what they are doing or how to handle their teams.
I can honestly say I have never worked for such an awful company, they deliberately mislead and lie and internal communication is non existent.
Give this company a very wide berth if you value your sanity.
I left as soon I could.
If I could give zero stars I would.
Pros
Non
Cons
no contact with area manager
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northamptonshire29 April 2018
area manager only spoke to the store manager and duty managers when came in never asked how member of staff who stands on till for over 4 hours with no chair. no care for member of staff on till
Pros
not many
Cons
no chair for till, not many benifits
Fun workplace.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield25 April 2018
Great Team mates
Good Hours
Good Wage.

SKILLS.
How to work a Till.
How to communicate well with customers.
To rotate stock, and put new stock out neatly.
Unfortunately the worst organisation I have worked for.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull23 April 2018
Managing Director very approachable, Regional Manager was great. Area Manager left a lot to be desired in my opinion. Autonomy wasn’t permitted, very much micro managed. I felt suppressed, as did other Managers I spoke to. If we challenged anything on the agenda in meetings, we would suddenly start to fail internal audits etc, after having previous 100% scores.
Happy to be away from the company.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Very long hours
worked to death
HGV Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull15 April 2018
I would only recommend working for them if you are desperate for a job. They offer long hours and expect more for free. It may now have change since B&M have taken over but the management are quick to sack people.
Pros
The road home
Cons
where do you start. The road into work
Cleaning
Cleaner Operative (Former Employee) –  Bourne, Lincolnshire4 April 2018
A great place to liens nee things and meeting new people are very friendly environment to working with would love to work again with the team would recommend to anyone who is to start their career ladder in employment
Pros
Time and hath on holiday work
Cons
New skills
Worst place ever
Senior sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool2 April 2018
Manager was a bully left you alone on the shop floor when busy didn't learn much while there always told I didn't need to know as I would never have to do it .Area manager was no better
There was no enjoyable parts to this job
Best thing I done was walk out
Pros
Cons
To many to list
Not the best company
Part-time sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire31 March 2018
The company are very poor at communicaion and do not offer many benefits. You do not get double pay or a day in lieu for working bank holidays. You do however get a 10% discount on all shopping with heron and B&M. Some staff are very friendly and work hard and pthers do not. Management from outside the shop are not around much. will not employ security despite the rough area.
Pros
discount
Cons
long shifts and not enough staff. no security.
Would recommend you give this place a wide berth!
Order Picker/Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Melton29 March 2018
Far too many supervisors who have little or no interest in the job. Never enough trucks or headsets. Apalling HR department. Do not work for this company unless youre really desperate.
Pros
Cons
Too many chiefs and not enough indians. Stay well clear!!
Great Workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire28 March 2018
Brilliant Store manager. Good Holiday Days and pay. Fair wages. Fantastic members of staff, all with great customer service skills. close nit group of workers.
Awful place to work, Awful "management".
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire27 March 2018
Would be zero stars but not an option.

Tin pot organisation, god help B&M who have bought them, lets hope they cull the management and get some professionals in.

Staff are treated awfully, staff rota's constantly changing, and most times they don't inform you, so when you turn up for when you think you were in they tell you come back later, or the delievries late so come back later, we've got too many people in today , go home we don't need you.

The management is incompetent. DO NOT WORK HERE UNLESS YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
All in the review
High staff turnover
Part Time Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire14 March 2018
Work/life balance- Forget it, your store comes first. Expect to cover shifts at short notice. They also give you 8 hour contract then expect you to be 100% flexible.
Salary- Not applicable as it's retail and therefore pays National Minimum Wage. You do get 10% off purchases at both Heron and its sister store, B&M.
Job security- Same as most companies these days but recently been taken over by B&M.
They also have a future flyers scheme where you sign up and it's advancement to management.
Management- Makes you wonder how some managers keep their job but that's pretty much same anywhere.
Job Culture- Sales assistants pull together and on the whole, a friendly bunch.
Pros
Friendly bunch of staff
Cons
8 hour contracts
fun place
senior sale assistant (Former Employee) –  Alvaston27 February 2018
great place to work for which allows you to still have a socail life.may have the oppotunity to work extra shifts and the staff are very friendly. great place to work for.
Pros
discount, pension scheme flexible hours
Cons
non
Good manager and staff
Sales Assistant supervisor (Former Employee) –  Louth, Lincolnshire24 February 2018
I would have enjoyed the job more if they had supported me more with my home commitments, I'm afraid that expecting a single parent to cover hours between 7 am and 9 pm Monday to Sunday and have childcare for all of these hours when they are working only 16 to 25 hours at minimum wage is completely unreasonable and not at all affordable which left me no option but leave my employment with you in the end. The managers worked very hard though and should be better rewarded for there loyalty.
Pros
I enjoyed the fast pace and hard work
Cons
Too many hours to cover just in case you are put on shift when childcare has to be booked in advance