Heron Foods

Heron Foods Employee Reviews

Worked here a lot of years but you are just a number when they got what they want from you, then your no longer needed. Quick to judge and condemn, come across professional but that is just for show, double standards amongst the drivers. It is a case if your face fits, hard physical work but enjoyable good wage and 3 days off, lack of man management skills if they can't get what they want then they resort to bullying you through driver Rota, holiday Rota, and overtime Rota. Good overtime rate if you can get supposed to be on a first come first serve basis but It gets given to there favourites first. Use to be a fair and good company to work for but unfortunately not now.
Pros
3 days off, good pay
Cons
Bully boy managment attitude
1 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, which we would like to respond to.The Transport department has overseen many improvements to the HGV Driver’s role over the past 12 months. This includes amongst the following:• Recognition and reward via a driver performance telematics scoring system where drivers are rewarded with some fabulous monthly prizes including Love to shop vouchers.• In-house CPC courses provided for and delivered on paid rostered days in.• Our ‘Warehouse to Wheels’ programme which is fully funded by the company.• A competitive OT rate that is distributed and available to all drivers to take advantage of. Our Transport department are fully approachable and always available to offer support and assistance. All of our store deliveries have been drop / risk assessed and these are available via a Dropbox app available to all Heron HGV drivers, however we are always available to offer assistance and support over the phone. We can also provide delivery maps to drivers that are more comfortable with these rather than using electronic devices.Drivers regularly approach the Transport team with problems and issues that require additional support including switching shifts, days off etc. or in some cases just for a general chat as we will always listen to any driver concerns and assist if at all possible.We are sorry that you took the decision to leave us and we wish you every success in your new role.
Same as above but all in all a good company to work for very flexible with days and hours .our store manager will always try to help out with days off needed etc 😀
Pros
Discount at herons and b&m.
Cons
Shorf notice rota changes i understand cant be helped sometimes.
23 October 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are happy to read that you enjoy the flexibility of days and hours worked and that you have a supportive Store Manager.We wish you every success in your continued career with Heron Foods.
I have worked here 2 years fits in with my looking after my mum and i love working at herons good workibg environment different every day doing deliveries and on the till
Pros
10 per centcdiscount
Cons
Parttime
18 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write your positive review for us! We are very pleased to read that you enjoy the good working environment and variety of tasks you do. Thank you for being part of the team!
Your character will be criticized and questioned if you dont make friends with the managers, and then I got finished up, when your 16 and it's your first job and you feel a bit intimidated you would think they would do there best to make you feel relaxed and happy in your first job not ask colleagues what's wrong with you ( I'm shy and quiet)
8 September 2020
Thank you for your review below and we are sorry to read that it hasn’t worked out for you. Our Runcorn store is very busy and the pace and energy required within the store isn’t for everyone. Our store manager is very hard working and drives the store to achieve company expectations to ensure we provide excellent customer service at all times. Whilst it is important to us that our staff members are happy, there are also lots of other factors to consider to ensure we are meeting the needs of our customers.We wish you every success within your next job.
Heron Foods is an amazing place to work with so much potential to progress, if that is what you are what you are looking for. Everyday is challenging in a good way. I love the fast pace environment, I'm never bored always something new.
Pros
Development
2 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write your positive review. We are very pleased to read that you see the potential to progress as we do pride ourselves in developing talented team members who want to grow within the business and contribute to our success.We wish you every success in your continued career here with us.
I have worked for Heron Foods for over a year and I have achieved so much over a short period of time. I work as part of a large team and there is a real family feel, we are all passionate about the business and want us to succeed.The work place culture is very positive and a real happy place to work. My role is very varied and isn't for the light hearted with working hard but the Job satisfaction supersedes this.If you are work shy, enjoyed being micro managed and are not proactive Heron isn't the place for you!
Pros
Team Spirit
27 August 2020
Thank you for your positive and balanced review and we are happy to hear that you enjoy your busy and varied role here with us.We wish you many more years of job satisfaction within our team and thank you for your hard work and valued contribution to our company's success.
I enjoy working for Heron Foods Ltd, it is a fast paced friendly dedicated work environment. Everyone is so approachable, there is a strong team work ethos. I have worked at Heron for over 8 years now and have progressed my way through the roles within HR to the role of Senior HR Business Partner, I feel very supported by my manager and colleagues in my career progression. Within my role no day is the same at Heron and I enjoy this element greatly. I am grateful for the exposure to all aspects of HR which I have gained through the years from joining as a graduate. I have been able to enrol onto courses which have helped my development and resulted in me achieving a Master in HRM.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
You need to enjoy working hard - which i do!
15 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write your positive comments. We are very happy to read that you feel well supported by both your manager and colleagues and that you enjoy the strong team work ethos.We wish you many more years of success within the business.
Work you to death Your not human Not interested Just want more for less Lost good management even know they hit all kip targets Promise bonuses then change direction when you hit targets
Pros
Cons
To many to mention
6 August 2020
We are very disappointed to read your comments. We are always very honest from the very start about how being a colleague at Heron Foods is hard work. Whether you are a Warehouse Picker, Sales Assistant, Store Manager, HGV Driver, Regional Manager or the Managing Director; we all work hard. To keep our prices low for our customers, we continue to manage our operational costs and we run a tight ship. The pace is immense and isn't for the faint-hearted.But we also reward hard work, celebrate our successes and we recognise that we would be nowhere without the dedication, commitment and loyalty from our valued members of staff. We are sorry that have felt this way and wish you every success within your future career.
Cheap products are the market and focal point for Heron, and this seems to be the image of Heron foods, cheap - this includes treatment and benefits for staff. Would recommend not working in retail with this company and try elsewhere
4 August 2020
Heron's image is of top quality and low prices. Our products are mainly branded and the same products as you would find within the bigger supermarket chains. However, we pass on significant cost savings and offers to our customers. As for our rewards, we are proud to offer a range of benefits for our valued team members and these include a 10% staff discount across both Heron Foods and B&M stores, uniform, exciting development opportunities (e.g. Future Flyers), Long service awards, product incentives in-store (opportunities to win fantastic prizes), refer a friend scheme (up to £250) and 'Lifeworks' (a free support advice line).We value our customers and hard-working colleagues and are proud of who we are.With best wishes.
After working there foe 14 weeks during the pandemic there was no care for safety as they was more worried about how much you picked even when try to keep a 2 meter distance from other people when it was not possible.
4 August 2020
Thank you for you review. We offer all employees great support during their induction and training within the warehouse. This can lasts weeks or months depending on experience and level. We take pride in ensuring the health, safety and well-being of all of our employees. During these difficult times we have implemented a number of measures including social distancing, staggered breaks, staggered start and finish times, staggered inductions (with reduced head-counts) and one-on-one training. We have provided extra PPE and essentials including hand sanitiser and wipes based on numerous cleaning stations throughout the warehouse. We have conducted both deep cleaning and extra cleaning of the site. We have implemented a one-way system. We conduct weekly update meetings with our union and also daily briefs with reference to COVID. Beyond that, we also ensured the seating areas and canteen facilities were following distancing guidelines.We are sorry that you decided not to stay with the company and we wish you every success in your future career.
had 5 minutes of rushed training on the tills even though I told them I would need more time in the training on the till as I found it hard and stressful to work with numbers.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Boss was quite strange, Not a nice area so customers were always quite rude, Glad if was only part time
30 July 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, although we are surprised to read that you had "5 minutes" of training as we have a comprehensive training program for new staff members. We are also in the process of rolling-out eLearning within stores which will further strengthen training within stores.We wish you every success in your future job.
I have worked there for about 4 months now and have been supported by all staff and extra support from the management team was there! Due to me being 16 I am the youngest store worker out of all staff members , the managers have given me constructive advice which is what I asked for when needed during my interview , the staff are always willing to give me advice when needed. I would recommend working at the company as Heron foods are committed to striving forward
Pros
Very friendly and hard working team
27 July 2020
Thank you so much for your review and we are very happy to learn that you are onto a great start! It appears that you have the best attitude if you are looking to progress within your future career; willing to take advice from colleagues and asking for feedback in which to ensure your development. Your feedback and comments will be passed on to the Store Manager and Area Manager too.Wishing you every success in your new role at Heron Foods and within your future career.
Worked her for 10years and loved it to begin with a lot of regular customers used to make my day it was fun and fast paced. After a few years new management and directors ruined it expected too much 1 person had to do the work of 5 people hours being cut and pay wasnt that great for management for all they had to do. As a shop assistant its a great place to work
Pros
customers
Cons
pay and work load
27 July 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are pleased that you found it a great place to work and that you enjoyed your time with us. We agree, working at Heron Foods is very fast-paced and busy, regardless of where you work within the business. We all work hard towards a common goal and that is to provide the best products and experience to our valued customers. We wish you all the very best and thank you for your 10 years of service.
27 July 2020
Good job and the people there are great, happy to help and supportive. I’ve had no problems and I feel secure within my job. I wish there was support in the sense of progression updates and feedback. If you don’t push yourself and pester you will stay at the bottom
Pros
Good teams
Cons
Hard to progress
21 July 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we are very pleased that you enjoy working with us at Heron Foods. We always like to progress our internal talent so make sure you do push yourself forward! Your comments have also be passed on to the Store Manager and Area Manager.We wish you every success in your future career here with us!
Love being among other people and all the other staff are very helpful and very friendly I'm really enjoying the work and meeting new and old customers
16 July 2020
Thank you for your review which I hope is about Heron Foods :)
area managers have no clue.they get deputy managers to train new store managers like they did me .but wouldn't make you a store manager.they use you to there advantage wouldn't recommend anybody to work for them
Pros
Cons
the company
9 July 2020
Thank you for writing your review. However, we are very surprised by the content. At Heron Foods we have a vast team of Training Academy Managers who specialise in providing both comprehensive and supportive guidance to our new Store Managers. The training program lasts over a number of weeks and is coupled with ongoing support from their Area Manager and network of other managers in their area. Indeed the feedback from our new Store Managers towards the training they receive is incredibly positive and they often report that they’ve never received such a thorough level of training before at any other retailer they’ve previously worked for. We are very proud of this. If a Training Academy Manager is not available to train a new Store Manager, we would then offer the same level of training and support with one of our experienced Store Managers. Under no circumstances would a new Store Manager be trained by a Duty Manager. This is without exception. We also pride ourselves on recognising talent and developing people internally and we have a Future Flyers program which we constantly promote internally which you are welcome to discuss with your Area Manager should you wish to be considered for this.
Having a supportive, caring manager makes my employment more enjoyable. I had a rough start as a Senior with a different manager, now 5 months later I'm a part time sales assistant to ease the stress I felt from my senior role however I do enjoy the team I have around me but with managers coming and going I'm dreading the next one.
Pros
Great team work, some nice managers
Cons
Work load expected to be done is overwhelming, you need 3 pairs of arms and extra time
6 July 2020
Thank you for your honest review. I’ve spoken with your Area Manager to discuss. He has explained that due to us opening a number of new stores in the area, it has been necessary to move some managers to different stores. This has also been due to internal development and progression. As a business, we like to nurture our hardworking and talented team members and this means they are rewarded with progression to management positions. This can sometimes mean that there are movements from store to store. The Area Manager has told me that he has spent time talking with you to make reassurances and has told me that he values your input into the store.
I would have liked to have stayed however if your face does not fit and you don't butt lick higher management then you do not stand a chance. Too much back stabbing.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Wage doesn't fit job requirements
29 June 2020
Thank you for your review. We are disappointed to learn that you have not enjoyed your time working for Heron Foods. We pride ourselves in nurturing and developing hard working individuals who have the drive and ambition to succeed and there are plenty of positive reviews here that demonstrate this. We wish you every success in your future career.
Avoid this company at all costs if you wish to be respected, in my last 8 years of management I've never met more senior management who could be so rude and disrespectful. I was told by my area manager on my first week 'that the previous manager was useless but we've moved them to give them another chance if they don't perform they will get rid. Told on a visit by regional manager that the girl on the till was rubbish get rid of her. The upper management would bully people into working well above their own contract without a care. Personal life didn't exist as he would message you late at night a few times even as late as 1130 when you started at 7 the next day or they would ring you and expect you to answer on all of your days off. Honestly would avoid at all costs they seem to pay well but once your in that's it when you have realise you have no senior management to support you. I only lasted a few months as I couldn't stay the poor culture involved.
30 June 2020
We are very disappointed to read your review. We have reviewed and taken your comments on-board. Reading through the numerous positive reviews we’ve received (including from the new Store Manager in the Corby store) you will see that it is hard work running one of our stores. We are always transparent about this and strive to ensure that potential new employees are aware of the hard work involved in successfully running one of our stores. As stated in a previous review from one of our newer Store Manager Designates “I find going about your job here with a positive and willing attitude you’ll definitely enjoy it”.We wish you the very best in your future career.
I’ve been with the company only a few months and I am really impressed with the high quality training I have received during these testing times from all departments.The job role is hugely satisfying with tangible achievements reached everyday.Great company to work for with excellent in house procedures and systems.....................................................................................................
Pros
Great people to work with.
23 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a positive review. We are very pleased to hear that you are impressed with the training you have been provided and that you are satisfied and happy within your new role.We wish you every success in your continued career within Heron Foods.
Heron foods is a fast paced work environment with approachable and helpful co-workers. Have to be a quick thinker and a good listener to help customers.
19 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Our quick thinking and attentive staff are a vitally important part of the success of our business. We'd like to thank you for your hard work within our Gainsborough store.