Herefordshire Council

Herefordshire Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom21 reviews
Really nice place to work
I was really sad to leave as I really enjoyed my time at the council and I did a whole load of different task during my time with the council support adults and communties.
Zero hours temporary contract
A 3 month contract was cut short in November. At that time the role was managed by a woman who most people found challenging but they have left now. It filled a necessary gap and gave me the opportunity to find something more suitable.
Needed more support
I was a kinship carer but didnt get the support we needed to carry on. Felt imense pressure to go ahead with Special Guardianship Order even though we were not ready for this yet. We went months without help or support and when we complained about this we were called liars. had to give back niece and couldnt continue to look after her
Pros
Cons
stress, no support
I was not happry in my job it was frustrating as nothing was ever resolved, far too many mangagers and not enough ground staff
Frustrating place to work nothing is achieved not a place I would like to work for long term given the choice but employment in Hereford is sparse. The days were long with very little job satisfaction, far too many managers that would not make decisions, leaving front line staff to face the public and give out answers they did want hear.
Interesting and Productive Environment
Very busy office,
excellent team to work with

management good

flexible working hours

ensuring all information is processed correctly

Overseeing completion of Application Forms
I miss this job to this day!
Until government cuts killed off our team, the planning department was like my second family. Ive never had that since. Trusted enough to get on with your work without management breathing down your neck. It was great to have the freedom to just get on with things. A very supportive team, although when issues arose with some team members management consistently failed to intervene, which ultimately caused resentment amongst the staff.

It was very difficult to progress due to a top heavy number of senior planners. As a result senior positions never opened up.
Pros
Supportive team, and trusted to get on with your work.
Cons
Almost impossible to progress
Started 10 years ago Great place to work. Can be very stressfull but its worth it. Get to meet new people and complete wide range of jobs. Can progress if wanted.
Pros
Benifits
Beneifts
Good benefits generoud leave and flexi time but there is a lack of staff development, there are not many courses to access and a lack of career opportunities.
Pros
Flexi
Ideal for flexible working but management leaves at lot to be desired
When I started working at Herefordshire Council the leadership and management was very good. Unfortunately the continual government cuts, and loss of knowledge and expertise has left the organisation short in many areas.

Furthermore, the Service Level Agreement with Hoople Ltd feels like a weight round the neck. Services such as IT, HR and Finance now seem only to place roadblocks in the way of completing tasks.
Pros
Flexible working and generall helpful people
Cons
Poor leaderhsip and lack of capacity to deliver services
Nice place to work.
Nice place to work. Especially if you aren't ambitious and dislike change. Very difficult to get meaningful information from their systems. Very slow to get anything done.
Pros
Friendly relaxed working environment.
Cons
Poor systems. Staff unwilling to change. No real drive to improve.
Challenging workplace where it can be difficult to deliver
Challenging workplace requiring creative thinking, strong customer engagement and ability to deliver. Aspiring to strong engagement and coproduction but in reality, finds this difficult to deliver because of budgetary constraints and culture.

I need a challenge that allows me to use my skills and deliver.

The most enjoyable part of my job is talking to people who use services, getting a real understanding of their concerns and working with them to try and change things for the better.
Pros
Flexible working conditions and good salary for the area
Cons
Lack of ability to bring about change or progress career
Good workplace culture
Excellent for professional development.
Excellent workplace culture.

Good teamship within the workplace.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the team atmosphere.

Good canteen facilities.
Interesting
I found this work placement both interesting and enjoyable over my entire time spent working there, with the people I was working with helping me accomplish the goals I was given to complete.
Can be frustrating at times
I enjoy visiting and meeting lots of different people throughout the county of Herefordshire. Great sense of achievement helping people maintain independence in their own home
Pros
Travelling through out the county meeting different people
Cons
bureaucracy
Excellent team players
No two days are the same, always interesting. The interaction between staff & customers is always professional, always suitable to their individual needs. Feel supported by the team and team leader.
Due to company changes we are being made redundant
Brilliant Job but insecure-and how!
I really like working with the public in a supportive role which feels worth doing.
Thats the good bit-the down side is that everyone-from the bottom to the top feels that their job is in the balance and could go at any moment, irrespective of how useful it is, because of the pressure on budgets. Over time this really starts to make everyone feel insecure and we are all looking for a new role!
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Reorganisation seems to be a constant
Good place to work if located in Hereford. The job can be varied as it entitles you to move around the organisation and learn different apsects
Overall not a bad place to wok
The job itself was very time consumming with constant updates and changes of work procedures. But the people I wokred with and for made up for any disruptions.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Lots of staff cuts
Creative and innovative workplace - team orientated
Cliché alert - there is no typical day at work!

Working in digital media means that you can't predict what requests will come in or when. Dealing with the pressure that comes with the speed of social media is part of my motivation and passion for the role.

I've learned that it's ok to make mistakes sometimes - as long as you learn from them. Along with 2 Councillors, I participated in Herefordshire Council's first ever Twitter Q&A. Whilst this was very successful and we generally received positive feedback, the topic was too broad so in hindsight I have learned to make topics more focussed when I conduct online Q&As.

Democratic/participative management style works well and there is a lot of successful collaboration with both my manager and co-workers alike. It’s great to be part of a small team where we can share knowledge, best practice and bounce ideas off each other.

At first the hardest part of the job was the criticism and negativity that we get from social media 'trolls'. I have learned to develop a thick skin and not take any comments personally; people are always going to resent their local authority for one reason or another so I strive to answer questions as efficiently as possible, (knowing full well that to certain people no answer I give will suffice) and spend the rest of my time on the meat of the role - effectively engaging with the public.

I love the free reign I have to come up with creative ideas and be able to show that there is a fun, caring, engaging and dare I say human? element to a local council!
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Typical council bureaucracy for certain projects!
Fun Place to work and good company to work up the ranks in
Very good Company to work for.

shame about the short contract and not a guaranteed job

Pros
Working outside with public
Cons
not consistent hours
Fascinating colleagues and workload
A typical day would involve designing and producing maps, posters, newsletters, reports and books for my colleagues in Conservation and Forward Planning. The sections within the wider team include Landscape and Biodiversity, Historic and Listed Buildings, Archaeology, Strategic Delivery/Planning Policy, and Neighbourhood Planning. No two projects are ever the same and the content is always fascinating with plenty to learn from colleagues and partner organisations, such as Natural England, the Environment Agency, English Heritage.

I manage my own workload, which can be extremely busy at times, but always manageable due to the great relationships i have built up with my 30+ colleagues, who all trust me to get on with my job and deliver to schedule.

Due to Government cuts, the hardest part has been the wider department facing threat of redundancy every year since i began. If it wasn't for that, i'd say this is a job for life.
Pros
Job satisfaction due to subject matter
Cons
At the mercy of government funding