Herbert Smith Freehills Employee Reviews

A very good work/life balance
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 March 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at HSF, the team I worked in was very supportive.
It was easily to progress and gain new skills.
They recognised that I had a long commute so let me work part of the week from home.
Pros
Enjoyable work.
Cons
London based
Interesting place to work
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Greater London22 November 2018
Herbert Smith Freehills was an enjoyable place to work with a lovely office and a great canteen. I worked only on one project so I didn't experience much of the company but everyone seemed lovely.
Pros
Subsidized lunch
Great firm, not a great culture
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  London8 November 2018
Fantastic law firm, great clients and excellent lawyers, but I always felt that there was something missing and I never felt 100% settled here, probably due to a lack of integration between teams and a clear firm culture. Good environment for learning and training for younger lawyers.
Pros
Usual - pension, medical, free dinners, taxis
Great people but...
Design manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London31 July 2018
...very much a conservative, non-progressive law firm though they are making many disconcerted efforts to advance. Their key difficulty is the entrenched silo mentality and the 'them and us' mentality (that used to exist in many professional services firms) between fee earners (aka lawyers) and support staff.
Pros
A number of fun and talented people though gradually being replaced by...
Cons
...an increasing number of poorly educated - and presumably cheaper - lessers
Great working environemnt excellent benefit
IT Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London12 July 2018
Excellent benefits to staff and a friendly working environment there is a real scope for progression and encouragement to learn new technologies and IT certs
Friendly and Engaging Atmosphere
Vacation Scheme Student (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 January 2018
I was given really interesting work to do on influential matters for global clients. Other members of the team (including Partners) are helpful and approachable in a dynamic workplace. A fairly high workload is balanced by stimulating work and an engaging atmosphere.
Fun
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  London10 September 2017
From my two weeks of work experience I found all the staff extremely friendly and gave me a nice environment to work in and made me feel especially comfortable.
Pros
City lifestyle
Cons
Long hour
Great environment
Senior Service Design and Transition (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London10 August 2017
Great place to work, from the culture to the day-to-day.
The atmosphere is relaxed, though hard-work is evident across the department. The department and Firm are extremely supportive of flexible working where possible.
Great Place to work
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK6 June 2017
Great place to work with great management and coleagues.
Plenty of chances to improve yoursef and to forward your career.
Great workplace culture, with team events throughout the year
Productive and organised
- Good culture
- Monotone work at times
- Efficient team effort
Good people
Reward, Benefits and MI Senior Advisor (Former Employee) –  London8 February 2017
Hard-working people who battle with some out-dated systems. Hopefully change is coming and it will help people get more job-satisfaction. Lots of emphasis on helping the community.
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  London18 January 2017
I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills for two years.

Pros
Nice people
Cons
the working hours is long
There is no career evolution for paralegals
A wonderful firm to work at with great poeple.
Accounts Payable and Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ENG6 May 2015
It always surprised me how much I enjoyed getting back to work on a Monday morning at HSF. This was predominantly due to fast paced structure to my day which I thrive on as I like to feel that I'm always achieving set goals. It was also due to the great accounting systems in place that ensured the smooth running of all procedures, and lastly due to the people I worked with who all worked extremely hard but were highly friendly and rarely lost a sense of humor.

During my 2 years at HSF I fine tuned my Accounts Payable skills but also learned about Client Monies in accordance with the Solicitor's Accounts Rules.

I enjoyed keeping regular communication with staff and clients/vendors to keep them up to date.
Proactive
Reprographics Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Primrose Street16 April 2013
Helping both Team members and clients to let everyday workload go as smoothly as possible, and to ensure that all urgent deadlines are met.
This firm have an inclusive approach and are flexible with regard to working times and ensure that all staff have diversity training.
Legal PA (Current Employee) –  London15 March 2013
My role has changed from working as a Legal Float PA to a static role of Legal PA. As a Float PA, your days are varied as you are not working for the same fee earners all the time and instead have variety in regards to the way you carry out your role and the people you work for, taking into account their method of working within their role. I found all my co-workers friendly and helpful if I needed their assistance at any time and I would return the favour if they needed any assistance. The most enjoyable part of the role was in a direct and indirect way learning about the clients and the nature of the deals being undertaken. I would say the hardest part of the role was not being familiar with the respective fee earners if I had not worked for them previously.

I attended various inhouse courses which were conducted by the training department.
Pros
good offices, facilities and a restaurant. close to public transport.
Cons
travelling time.
A wonderful place to work
Telephonist (Former Employee) –  London18 January 2013
Sorry no details all work at the company is strictly confidential.