Herbert Smith Freehills

Herbert Smith Freehills Employee Reviews

United Kingdom20 reviews
Good experience although repetitive at times. Decent pay depending on your role, nice location especially in the Canary Wharf office. Top firm which looks great on your resume.
I enjoyed my time working at Herbert Smith. i liked that it was always busy and that we were always on hand to help any of our clients. it felt good to deliver a service that helped our customers along with their day.
This was a work placement at a prestige law frim, in which I gained an insight into what lawyers such as financial and commercial lawyers get up to in their daily work life.
Working at HSF was tough in terms of hours and there were some demanding staff there. For the most part I found it a friendly and encouraging environment. There was not enough support for paralegals and there was not any career progression for them either. The work was less intellectually stimulating than expected.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at HSF, the team I worked in was very supportive.
It was easily to progress and gain new skills.

They recognised that I had a long commute so let me work part of the week from home.
Pros
Enjoyable work.
Cons
London based
Herbert Smith Freehills was an enjoyable place to work with a lovely office and a great canteen. I worked only on one project so I didn't experience much of the company but everyone seemed lovely.
Pros
Subsidized lunch
Fantastic law firm, great clients and excellent lawyers, but I always felt that there was something missing and I never felt 100% settled here, probably due to a lack of integration between teams and a clear firm culture. Good environment for learning and training for younger lawyers.
Pros
Usual - pension, medical, free dinners, taxis
Cons
...very much a conservative, non-progressive law firm though they are making many disconcerted efforts to advance. Their key difficulty is the entrenched silo mentality and the 'them and us' mentality (that used to exist in many professional services firms) between fee earners (aka lawyers) and support staff.
Pros
A number of fun and talented people though gradually being replaced by...
Cons
...an increasing number of poorly educated - and presumably cheaper - lessers
Excellent benefits to staff and a friendly working environment there is a real scope for progression and encouragement to learn new technologies and IT certs
I was given really interesting work to do on influential matters for global clients. Other members of the team (including Partners) are helpful and approachable in a dynamic workplace. A fairly high workload is balanced by stimulating work and an engaging atmosphere.
From my two weeks of work experience I found all the staff extremely friendly and gave me a nice environment to work in and made me feel especially comfortable.
Pros
City lifestyle
Cons
Long hour
Great place to work, from the culture to the day-to-day.
The atmosphere is relaxed, though hard-work is evident across the department. The department and Firm are extremely supportive of flexible working where possible.
Great place to work with great management and coleagues.
Plenty of chances to improve yoursef and to forward your career.

Great workplace culture, with team events throughout the year
- High workloads although organised
- Enhanced problem solving skills

- Well managed

- Good culture

- Monotone work at times

- Efficient team effort
Hard-working people who battle with some out-dated systems. Hopefully change is coming and it will help people get more job-satisfaction. Lots of emphasis on helping the community.
I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills for two years.

Pros

Nice people

Cons

the working hours is long

There is no career evolution for paralegals
It always surprised me how much I enjoyed getting back to work on a Monday morning at HSF. This was predominantly due to fast paced structure to my day which I thrive on as I like to feel that I'm always achieving set goals. It was also due to the great accounting systems in place that ensured the smooth running of all procedures, and lastly due to the people I worked with who all worked extremely hard but were highly friendly and rarely lost a sense of humor.

During my 2 years at HSF I fine tuned my Accounts Payable skills but also learned about Client Monies in accordance with the Solicitor's Accounts Rules.

I enjoyed keeping regular communication with staff and clients/vendors to keep them up to date.
Helping both Team members and clients to let everyday workload go as smoothly as possible, and to ensure that all urgent deadlines are met.
My role has changed from working as a Legal Float PA to a static role of Legal PA. As a Float PA, your days are varied as you are not working for the same fee earners all the time and instead have variety in regards to the way you carry out your role and the people you work for, taking into account their method of working within their role. I found all my co-workers friendly and helpful if I needed their assistance at any time and I would return the favour if they needed any assistance. The most enjoyable part of the role was in a direct and indirect way learning about the clients and the nature of the deals being undertaken. I would say the hardest part of the role was not being familiar with the respective fee earners if I had not worked for them previously.

I attended various inhouse courses which were conducted by the training department.
Pros
good offices, facilities and a restaurant. close to public transport.
Cons
travelling time.
Sorry no details all work at the company is strictly confidential.