henderson retail

henderson retail Employee Reviews

United Kingdom15 reviews
Only do 8 hours a week but I get to choose what day I work seeing I have another job. Pay not great but the extra money comes in handy for petrol and other treats. 30 minute break unpaid but 15 mins paid but you’re allowed to break it up if you smoke etc, management dead-on and the staff are good craic. I was based in the deli but due to Covid-19 I got to work on tills and stock which is good.
I loved working for spar was sad to leave, staff discounts throughout all stores, learning something new every shift , flexible working hours and holiday pay
Was placed on the tills on every shift for the last year i was working there was absolute horrible. Everyone else got to take turns on the shop flour, made me quit in the end. Benefits for are awful, might aswell not be any. Manager at the time liked to have a go at everyone, try to avoid her.
Pros
Staff are defineity the best people i've worked with.
Cons
Not being listen to by management. Henderson group dont give a toss about you. pay is pretty bad.
Minimum wage for maximum effort, there is no staff discount available apart from £1 off your coffee which can only be used while you're on shift.
Supervisors can be hard to work with during busy times and can be very rude to their staff. I enjoy helping customers so that can be rewarding at times. Women are always put on the tills while more men are given jobs such as packing out the shelves. Can be put on the tills for 4 hours with no breaks which is extremely mind numbing.

example I have
No work life balance money not bad if you didn't have to work min of 20 hours per week to earn this as all extra hours worked are unpaid no support from HR that are to busy trying to keep there labour turnover figures down so staff can do whatever they like
Pros
Good pension
Cons
Long hours no support
Very nice environment to work, nice people and members of management are easy to get along with.
Very good place to work, learn and grow in. The environment is generally very friendly and your colleagues will help and support you in any way they can.
Terrible workplace that is run by two dictators in the manager and assistant manager. They don't care about the staff and dpo what they want. I would not recommend working here to anyone unless you want to feel bullied and undervalued.
Pros
None at all
Cons
Bad working hours, selfish management
Completely shocking place to work management are shocking attitude stinks treat there workers like muck, come around 15mins before shift ends demanding overtime and reminding you that if you don’t do it you’d face disciplinary action as it states in your contract you must do a satisfactory amount of overtime but there satisfactory amount of overtime is you must sty everyday no matter what, opportunities for development are non existent if your like myself you had forklift license and other skills your just moved about departments to cover for sickness and holidays with constantly being overlooked for promotion and there warehouse to wheels scheme is non existent yet they bring in agency staff during busy times and pay for them to be trained up instead absolutely scandalous company to work for as I’ve always been told good living for a living smokes
Pros
Cons
To many to list long hours poor management slave driven
Law states you must get 20 minutes uninterrupted break when working more than 6 hours, in reality to must answer the service bell even when on break, store closes at 11pm for example but you don't get out til 20 past if you are lucky and you don't get paid for your extra time, finishing at 11pm and starting at 6pm the next day. area manager will come in do an audit and tear you apart for store not being up to standard but expects you to run 4 departments.
A typical day in Henderson retail is very fast paced. I work in one of the largest SPAR stores in the company. Every day you are faced with a fast day with thousands of customers walking through my store everyday.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Can be long hours
You will be worked to the bone, unable to see your families because of all the extra (unpaid) hours you are made to do.

The people are ok but the upper management are out of touch with their staff. They don't care about you or your shop even when you are struggling with staff shortages and are working 14+hrs a day

I could go on and on but basically there are very few benefits to working for one of the biggest companies in Northern Ireland.
Pros
perks and discount card
Cons
everything else
open up and get shop ready to trade
review shop standards and make a plan

give tasks out to staff

count cash from previous day and lodge

check emails and complete spreadsheets

deal with problems and do orders

do cash lifts from tills

check in deliveries

starting work at 6am is hardest part of day never mind a large workload with very few staff.

helping customers and working with my staff are most enjoyable part
Whilst this was probably down to the people I worked with, I did love working here. I learned so many skills and was transformed to a nervous teenager trying to pay for petrol and car insurance into a confident working girl ready to take on any challenge set before me. my co-workers were brilliant, with the odd rotten egg but that is only to be expected. The only thing I would say is that Henderson ct down on staff a lot and it meant that some of my closest friends here were moved to other stores and my work load tripled right around the time of my exams. As we had a new manager as well he booked stock check (where everyone must attend) on my birthday which I had booked off on holiday months before. I therefore ended up working for 10 hours on my 18th birthday, starting at 7 am without breaks. Also I do find that there is some level of sexism, not intentional I don't think, where men are given jobs like packing out groceries and women are abandoned on the tills, despite the fact that a lot of the women pack groceries out considerably faster than the men in our workplace who tended to stand about and text more than anything else. The company is okay, but if you find a good team and a good store to work at then you will have a great experience.
Pros
perks program, training, opportunity for advancement
Cons
under-staffed, company moves workers around confusing the set-up of individual stores
during my shift I would operate the tills and help customers with any problems they may have, may it be to find a product or to help them with the shopping. I would also pack out products onto the shelves and any paper work that is needed to be done. i enjoy operating the tills and helping the customers with any problems that they may have while in the shop. Mostly within the shop you work on your own and get what ever is need done on the shift.
Pros
you get a 10% discount book
Cons
long shifts